Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

HAVE: Raleigh Fall Swap 2008

trianglejohn
15 years ago

Attention Swappers! I just cut and pasted this from a previous posting so if anything anywhere in this message mentions "spring" pretend it says "fall". I am soooo busy watering that I really didn't have time to figure out an alternative place (no rain at my place for weeks!!)

Everything should be the same as usual. Let me know if anything needs to be addressed.

Announcing the 2008 Raleigh Fall Swap

Where: Creech Road Elementary School Park, Garner NC 27529

When: Saturday September 27th, 2008

What Time: shelter rented from 2pm until 4pm

There is also a pot luck picnic - so prepare to eat!

New to the swaps? Dont panic, we are a friendly bunch. There are very few rules (we like it that way). Check the "Special Trades" Thread on GardenWeb/Carolina Gardening/Exhanges subforum for details concerning any special plants anyone is offering for special requests in exchange. Special trades are traded outside of the general swap - which is more or less a free for all. If you donÂt have any plants to trade, bring food (homemade is worth more than store bought by this group). DonÂt think that we only want to discuss or trade exotic or hard to find plants - it ainÂt so! we like the common stuff just as much. No matter what you bring, someone will want it, and if no one wants it you can take it back home or we can just toss it out at the end of the mayhem. The way this works is we pile all the general swap plants together on the picnic tables (no special method, just jumbled together). We do a quick walk around to explain any unusual plants. Everyone lines up on the edge of the shelter after they have designated a "Cache" or stash spot in the lawn outside the shelter. I ding a bell and everyone rushes in and grabs ONE plant, and then hauls it over to their stash site. Everyone lines up and we do it again. After a few rounds like this I up it to TWO plants per ding and eventually we just grab anything that is left over. I know it sounds messy but this systems works the best. By having the plants jumbled together on the table and not segregated into sections we keep the crowd of swappers from knocking each other over. By having the first few rounds for one plant, everyone gets a shot at the choice stuff.

Remember that this is really a way for you to meet people interested in the same style of gardening that you practice - or a way to get great starting out advice.

The Raleigh Spring Swap will be held at Creech Road Elementary School Park which is the same spot we held swaps the past. The park has a large shelter with bathrooms and running water/electricity. The shelter is a short walk from the parking lot so be prepared to haul your plants to and fro. This town park is a combination Elementary school playground/city park recreation area - so if you can find the school you can find the park. The shelter is at the back of the schools parking lot on your right as you drive in.

Set up begins as soon as the shelter is free (hopefully no one will be there before us). General Swap begins at 2:30pm ish. As soon as the dust settles and weÂve broken up any fistfights we will all sit down to a pot luck picnic lunch and behave like civilized gardeners. At any time special trades can be conducted either at the shelter or in the parking lot.

Need more help finding the place?

Plug this data into mapquest (www.mapquest.com):

Creech Road Elementary School

400 Creech Road

Garner NC 27529

Mapquest will also give you detailed instructions on how to get from your house to the park and back home again. For those of you somewhat familiar with the area, here are the basics: Garner is a suburb of Raleigh. Downtown Garner is 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh and due south of it. The swap location is just past old downtown Garner on the east side of town, north of Hwy 70. Though many of the roads I will mention are highways, in this area they look and feel more like city streets. Get off of Interstate 40 on exit #299 and head south (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is called Person Street or Hammond Road depending on which direction you are going, as it comes into Garner it becomes Timber Drive (there is no "welcome to Garner" sign on this road). Pretty soon you will approach a large intersection of Hwy 70 and Timber Drive. You want to turn left and head east. There are two left turn lanes at this intersection, choose the right lane of these two rather than the far left. You will go through a few traffic lights. The street Vandora Springs will cross overhead. The next street crossing overhead is Hwy 50, exit on the right onto Hwy 50 and cross over Hwy 70. At the first traffic light turn Right onto Old Garner Road East and head east. At the next traffic light turn Left onto Creech Road. You will see wooded parks and tennis courts and baseball diamonds on your right. The Elementary School is just after all that, on your right with a large blue sign. There is only one parking lot. The shelter for the swap is at the end of the parking lot on the right hand side.

If dry weather returns and the severity of the predicted hot and dry summer seem likely we may have an informal "Rain Dance" following the swap and feast (clothing optional).

Comments (13)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Man, oh man, I wish I could come to this. Ya'll are such a friendly bunch and I miss attending your shindig John.
    Oh, and to join in on a "rain daaan-ce" goodness me...I am missing something this year I tell yah!

I wanted to ask you about you artichokes too...When yu have a spare minute could you give me a jingle?

Ya'll have fun now you hear?

:( Sad Fran

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran - my big brag plant this year was my Rhubarb which made it through its second summer (almost!). I bragged about it to Tony Avent and low and behold it melted away in one weekend. I was tempted to dig it up and bring it inside the house to keep it going.

My artichokes this year have not liked the heat. They've only made tiny baby chokes. The main plants have not done so well but they have put off numerous 'pups' so there will be plenty for next year.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

OK. Who decided to do the rain dance early?

• mary grether
    15 years ago

wow! this is the first time I have heard of this, I will put this on my calendar and be sure to get there! Not far from where I live, and also would like to meet new people, yes plants too! Mary

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Hubby and I plan to be there this year loaded down with plants. Family health issues have kept us away for several swaps but the good Lord willing we will be there - have missed you guys......

Lynne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh John, that is too bad about the Rhubarb, did yah tell Tony it melted? Bet he got a kick out of it if you did...lol.

I wonder if you could've taken it inside? My step-dad used to grow it with no problems. I want some too, but I would prolly kill too...lol.

I want a Gunnera too, everyone says we can't grow those either, but I am bound to try it sometime...I am hard-headed so I just don't listen well...lol.

:) Fran

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

hi all, I'm planning on coming - if I can get root to go with me and split the fuel costs!

I'm updating my swap list and my want list this evening. I dug out an entire bed and where I thought I might have a few hundred bulbs, I have thousands. However, my daughter's boyfriend was so kind to dig it out for me. Therefore, I have a wheelbarrow load of bulbs, and 3 - 5 gal buckets full. I know what they all are and will try to separate them, but it's bulb time with no cultivar names. I know which are daffodils (mixed cultivars), which are lycoris (all the lycoris are th radiata), I have tons of muscari (all americana - the plain purple), crocus (mixed cultivars), lilies (mixed orientals and asiatics), daylilies (mixed hybrid cultivars - no ditch lilies), etc.

Fran, I've tried Gunnera twice and both times, believe it or not, it rotted on me. Both times it came up about 5", but then died and when I checked the bulb, it was soft and mushy. I thought Gunnera was a water plant.

Questions for all you guys. I have a hardy Tapioca. I've had it 3 years now, it's in the greenhouse - never taken the time to plant it out in the yard. 1st question - can I plant it out now or should I wait until spring? 2nd question - It has a fruit on it. What do I do with this fruit? LOL

Thanks,
    Vickie

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Vickie, I planted my hardy tapioca in the fall as a seedling and it did fine. I let the fruit fall where it may since it's not edible and I have seedlings of my own this year.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

V, Since you have a greenhouse (and we're colder than the Raleigh folks) I'd wait till spring, but if you decide to plant it be sure to bury it pretty deep with mulch... Just in case we get an unusually cold winter. I collect the fruit on mine after the stem browns and put it in a paper sack. When it pops it really sends the seeds a far piece. Last year I had some on the kitchen counter and heard this loud pop and found a couple seeds in the dining room floor, but never found most of them. No telling where they went, lol.

• dtpforu
    15 years ago

Cool. I guess I'll wait until spring to plant it. It's almost as tall as the greenhouse now. Thanks for the info Shari. If it wasn't so big, and the only one I have, I might try your way. But then again, we have 3 - 4 more months of warm weather.
    Root, that first sentence of my post was for the Raleigh swap. Want to plan on going to that one together and splitting the gas cost?

• tietie
    15 years ago

where are the special trades or are they here?

Vicki, I would love some of your bulbs especially the lycoris. Check out my list, it is outdated but my yard hasn't changed so I should be able to dig anything on the list.

I also have a rainbow pineapple that I've been putting off dividing. It has pups like crazy, and thorns too, guess that's why I haven't dug it.

Ralph, all the toad lilies and heucheras you gave me at the spring swap are doing splendidly. Many thanks for feeding my obsession.
    Tanya

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Tanya, see the End of Summer Raleigh Swap Special Trades thread for some special trades.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok folks, we're like a week away from the swap. Is everybody ready??? got your plants labeled? is that even how label-ed is spelled?

Just so you know - I am cleaning out the pot ghetto and bringing a ton of stuff. No special trading for me - just need to find homes for all my odds and ends. I am switching more of my garden over to fruits and veggies which means even less space for sun loving tropicals or potted bloomers. My loss is your gain!!

Come to the swap even if you have nothing to trade!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio