Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

WANTED: Fall 2014 Raleigh Plant Swap

trianglejohn
9 years ago

The Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, October 4th 2014 at White Deer Park - Pine Shelter in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2 depending on if everyone has their offerings in place or not

Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We have the shelter from 1:00pm til 4:00pm so show up early and help people haul plants to the shelter.

We have three activities going on at the same time - the general swap, special trades, and the picnic. You are free to join in on any of them. The general swap is done in a modified Round Robin style where I ding a bell and you get to grab a limited number of plants and then stash them in your special hiding spot away from the shelter. After a few rounds all heck breaks loose and we just grab all the left over plants. The special trade swaps are off to the side and are where you exchange plants one-on-one with someone you have arranged a trade with. There will be a Special Trades thread started here on the Carolina Garden Web Exchange subforum to handle all the details. The only rule is that you need to keep your special trades away from the main shelter or else someone may take them during the general swap. The picnic is after the swapping. A Swap Food List thread will also show up where people can announce what they will be bringing. There are a few grocery stores nearby so that items can be picked up on your way to the park if you don�t want to cook.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

Here�s the town of Garner�s web page about the park:
http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe�s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right side of the road. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far.

Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. I think the parking lot is one way. Our shelter is after the turn and right up against the parking lot. Look for the small sign that says "Pine" up on the eave of the building. There is a map on the park website above.

The parks address is: White Deer Park 2400 Aversboro Street Garner NC 27529

Comments (136)

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Countrygirl,
    I am always interested in your daylillies. I'd like to get Moss Fire and one of your friend's hybridized yellow iwth red eye. What can I bring you?

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Countrygirl,
    I am always interested in your daylillies. I'd like to get Moss Fire and one of your friend's hybridized yellow with red eye. What can I bring you?

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Gail: #53 for me please. Always interested in your treasures. My Moses fire was gorgeous. And Gus B beautiful. Let me know what you would like. I know you like variegated so I have been working on some things for you.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

casalester- i'd say pretty invasive. there's a native one that has much the same bloom and i'd go with that if i were you (i don't have that one). i continually pull it from my beds- it just keeps coming back again and again and again... the roots seem inexaustable. it does have pretty foliage, the bloom is very pretty and scented well but makes a ton of seed... let me know if you still want it or would rather try for something better behaved.
    yes, i kept my large aristolochia in a pot that came into the cool greenhouse for the winter. it being able to be in the yard is a big bonus! i probably should overwinter it inside this year though, don't you think?
    i will collect seed from as many of the amsonia as i can. thanks!

• tamelask
    9 years ago

ok, so my list looks like this:
    confirmed trades:
    lorabell alstomeria for bulbine
    ralph- passiflora seedlings for snow fairy
    lisianthus/kim- alstromeria, sovenir de bonn abutilon and country girl for coreopsis and rosemary
    judy- pink iris and tricyrtus for chinese lanterns
    casalester- amsonia seed for aristolochia elegans

haven't heard back from:
    lclear- maybe trading something for a spiderlily and pomegranate?
    camlover- something for silene hookerii?

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    I'm not sure if I have chinese lanterns left or not. I've pulled most of those up, but will look tomorrow to see if I can find one. If I don't have one, would an orange geum work?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 years ago

tamelask -- Silene hookeri for you. You have lots of treasures I would like: tricyrtus, malvaviscus, alstomeria, begonia 'torch' and phlox divaricate.

Anything else I can bring you? I have cuttings of variegated acuba.

• Lauren Clear
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone. Oh Guess What! I have decided to swap several of my HUGE tropical plants. They include rubber plants, philadendrons, and something that I'm not sure what it is. I would love to swap for orchids, callas, epiphyllum, or other tropical bulbs...or lets see whatcha got.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

judy, sure an orange geum would work instead- but i do want the lanterns if you have them.

camlover- pick 2 or 3 you want most. i don't need acuba, but thank you! i wouldn't say no to a second silene, though- one for me, one for the comm garden. the rest will be in the general swap and you can grab more of them there. (i only have 1 torch- so i'll set that one aside for you). and... you might want to grab the tricyrus since i think i only have 3 of those and one is spoken for. multiples of the others.

lclear- i'm still very interested in a spider lily and/or a pomegranate (so long as it's a sweet or semi sweet variety)... see above messages. i can bring cuttings of some epis. and/or a nun's orchid bulb...

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Kim could I get a double amount of prickly pear? This Fall I have most of what your sharing,, next Spring I can make up ! Ha. I love the purple verbena I received this Spring, it must be 6 foot around . Low ground cover and blooming nonstop. Beautiful ! Is it a perennial or do I need to overwinter cuttings? I don't want to lose that one!

Country girl , honey and starter aloe and begonia for your yucca...done!

Iclear, am also interested in your blue spider, if there is anything your looking for?

Lorabell-laura

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

Hi, Judy. I looked at your list and I would really rather have a sedum or roof iris, if you have any to trade. The daylily seedlings are small. I thought I gave you Moses Fire in the spring. I'll look at my list when I get home and if not, then it is yours.

lisianthuslover, as you are already working on something for me and the daylilies are small, I won't expect anything else for it. I sent you a picture

9 years ago

lisianthuslover, maybe purple verbena is you have any left to give.

9 years ago

Judy, you wouldn't have any more of those variegated irises like you gave me last year, would you? I lost mine over the winter ...

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    9 years ago

Tamelask,

Thanks for the warning about Clematis terniflora. Sounds like a lot of hassle. Maybe you could set aside for us one of your Gelsemiums instead?

An interesting lead about Clematis virginiana. It still appears to be an aggressive grower but it happens to be dioecious so that if only male-flowering vines are selected at least the issue of unwanted seedlings will be eliminated.

It would definitely be too much risk for the small Aristolochia elegans seedlings to be exposed to freezing so soon - they will benefit from a full growing season to become better established and build up more root mass. They can actually be kept as houseplants as well.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

I've an aristolochia macroura that I can make babies over winter if anyone is interested for Spring show, what an interesting plant for sure.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Countrygirl,

I'll bring you some of the variegated irises and some roof irises. I'll check my sedums to see if I have any that you don't already have. I think I got most of my sedums from you.

Not certain, if I have Moss Fire Daylily. I couldn't find it in my photo book.

Tammy - I'll bring you a geum and will look later today for a Chinese lantern.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

9 years ago

Then it is yours. So what if you should end up with two. LOL. I got several sedums from you last year too! Just text or email me and i'll let you know if I already have them.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

lorabell- definitely interested in the aristolochia macroura for spring!! it looks great!

casalester, thanks for the advice. i'll def plan to overwinter it inside. i'll set aside the jessamine for you.

judy, many thanks!

• Lauren Clear
    9 years ago

I have the following to swap for some succulents, orchids, or other:
    Althea (rose of sharon) blue hibiscus (1 foot tall)
    Lemon trees (1 foot tall)
    Beautyberry (6" tall)
    Pomegranate Wonderful (6" tall)
    Split leaf philidendrons
    Rubber plants
    Spiderwort lily (blue)
    Strawberries Ovation (June-bearing late mid -season)

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 years ago

Tamelask, I will definitely have a few silenes for you. I will swap the torch, tricyrtus and malvaviscus.

Anything else I can give you? named daylilies?

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Ok here’s my trade list:

Lorabell: August Lilly Hosta, Black Liriope, Orange Geum, & Dwarf Joe Pye Weed
    Trade for: 2 doz. Eggs, Honey & Antirrhinum Braun-blanquetii - Lorabell, the geum and dwarf joe pye weed are two plants I think you should have. Really cool plants.

CasaLester:
    Asarum Splendens for Angelina & Purple Emperor Sedum. I still have not been able to locate Arum italicum.

Lisianthuslover
    Helleborus Foetidus & Ajuga for Minneola & Purple Iris

McClem
    Blue & Black Salvia for Purple Iris

Jbarutis
    2 cannas for Hellebores

Tammi
    Pink Iris & Tricyrtus Amethystina for Geum & Chinese Lanterns (still looking for)

Countrygirl
    Varigated Iris, Roof Iris, & Sedum(?) for Moses Fire & Yellow with Red Daylily

Have I forgotten anyone?

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Lorabell: yes, verbena is perennial. Ok, I will bring extra cactus.

Casalester: did you decide what you would like to trade for lavender?

Camelialover: I have been researching about astrantia. ...maybe what I have is red pincushion which looks similar. Let me know what you would like to do. I have variegated basil and persian shield also some coleus. All of these need to be overwintered.

Also, my Mom has just shared some aloe, liriope, and yellow bearded irises.

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Iclear,
    Originally, I had wanted one of your blue spider lilies. I just saw your posting. I do have blue spiderworts/spiderlillies in my garden - lots of them. One of my favorite plants. Thanks, though.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 years ago

Jdbheartease -- campanulas please. What would you like from list above?

Lorabell. Yellow iris and Persian shield would be great.

Lclear. Do you have passion vine and spider lilies left? What would you like.

Brenda. What would you like to swap for tiarella hybrids?

Jeri. What do you want for the Rainbow canna?

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Camellia lover, Lorabell here, I think you have me mixed with someone else? You asked about my large dk red Christmas cactus? I have it available....hopefully for your silene schafta.

Lorabell-Laura

• sabji
    9 years ago

Hello Folks
    I have been out of the loop for a Long time!!!
    We are currently celebrating a 10 day long Indian festival and hence has been keeping me very tied up...
    I am coming!!! to the swap. Yayyy!!
    I will bring
    1. Luffa seeds
    2. amaranth- seed.
    3. Lemon grass shoots.
    I have to see what other seeds I have.

I would like to have fruit and veggie seeds cutting etc.. whoever has them please save for me?

Iclear welcome, this is for you. Could you save for me a couple of these each /
    Thanks!!1
    1. Lemon tree
    2, pomegranate ( wonderful)
    3. Strawberries Ovation (June-bearing late mid -season)

• sabji
    9 years ago

iclear,
    Oops. I just read you were looking for orchids and the like...
    I just grow vegetables , fruits.
    I do have spineless black berry cuttings if any one is interested . I can trade or give away.
    I will bring them.
    I have seeds for Holy Basil.... is anyone is interested,
    Jbarutis, Hello!!!
    I would like a curry leaf tree if you still have any left...

I am not very organized this year.

• anna_8nc
    9 years ago

Sabji,
    I would like a thornless blackberry or two, however, I don't know that I have much to trade, unless you would like some herb plants or purple bearded iris. Could you use some small clay flower pots?
    Anna

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

And I'm packed and heading out ...so no more trades for me. Setting up a show tonight....thunderstorms stay away please, have babysitters to babysit the grand babies I'm babysitting, have girls to work for me tomorrow afternoon, boy, that high water kept arising! What else, something funny. Crazy lady in a bee suit running around the yard cuz somehow a bee found its way into the headpiece.... Them was some mad bees as i stole just a bit of honeycomb! Ha for those I'm bring honey, a FYI that I do have a NC inspected kitchen and LLC and all that.

See everyone tomorrow.
    Laura. Lorabell

9 years ago

Here's what we have confirmed for trades:
    Jdbheartease: 2 sqft tray of Sedum rupestre 'Angelina' for Arum italicum (preferred but apparently not achievable) or Asarum splendens, and Sedum 'Purple Emperor'
    Trianglejohn: nothing requested for Callistemon and Olea 'Arbequina' fresh untreated cuttings
    Lisianthuslover: Lavandula angustifolia seeds for nothing requested
    Tamelask: Aristolochia elegans for Amsonia hubrichtii seeds and Gelsemium sempervirens

RalphW: long-term request for Oenanthe javanica 'Flamingo' filed

• sabji
    9 years ago

Hi Anna,
    Sure I will set one aside for you. I would like Rosemary please, if you have that. If not I will check your spice list.
    Just introduce your self. I am Indian....
    See you all tomorrow.

• sabji
    9 years ago

Casa lester, or lisianthuslover
    ooo May i request a few Lavender augustifolia seeds too?
    Thanks!! You can check the plants and seeds I am bringing... for exchange.
    If anyone is bringing Peonies or Camellia, can I request one each please??
    Check my list.. to see what to keep aside.

This post was edited by sabji on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 22:27

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

CasaLester and Tami - You’re both in Luck!!

CasaLester - While I was out hunting for Tami’s Chinese Lantern, I found a clump of Arum Italicum. I’ve got that potted up for you, plus the Asarum Splender and the small Sedum Purple Emperor.

Tami - I’ve got a Chinese Lantern potted up for you. It’s sad looking, but has a good root system.

Camilalover - I have a campanula potted up for you. If possible, I’d like to get a daylily in exchange - you can bring bare root - no need to pot it.

That's it for me tonight. See everyone tomorrow.

• jbarutis
    9 years ago

Camellialover, I've got some rainbow cannas for you. You can pick something for me :-) What color is your daylily?

Ralph, it looks like someone else is bringing you some crocosmia. I have crocosmia 'Lucifer' and will try to bring some.

Hi Sabji! If I don't have the curry leaf tree separated by tomorrow, we can meet in Raleigh or Garner another day :-)

Since there's been some interest in arum italicum, I potted up some of that today.

I'm going to the JCRA plant distribution tomorrow morning and have no idea what to get!!

Here is a link that might be useful: JCRA plant list 10/4/14

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 years ago

Lorabell, I have you for Silene schafta and a red Christmas cactus.

Lisianthus, the yellow iris and Persian shield would be great.

• jbarutis
    9 years ago

Ralph, I'd love an Alpinia zerumbet!

(Alpinia koshunensis, Taiwan shell ginger, is the only plant I've highlighted from the JCRA list that I really want!)

Jeri

• tamelask
    9 years ago

camlover got you down for those, thanks. no, i'm good for plants.

lclear, i think i'm good. i also have blue spiderwort, and don't need more. and i'm not really wanting 'wonderful'. plus it's getting awfully late for me to grab stuff. thanks much!!

jusy that's fantastic news! happy dance!

casalester, my ciliata/hubrectii didn't have any seeds set. i only have the one and perhaps it doesn't self pollinate or cross with the other types? i don't know. but i have seeds from both my large leafed varieties (one of which has some of the deepest blue flowers i've seen to date on an amsonia). they both also turn yellow in the fall- all amsonias do that i know of.

• MagickMare
    9 years ago

I know I'm late to the party...
    I didn't think I'd have anything much different, but in addition to my general stuff, I have:

Hart Hens&chicks
    Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy'
    White Reblooming Azalea

Would love:
    Pomegranate
    Black Bamboo
    Sweet Fig
    Variegated Iris

9 years ago

Sabji, we'll get you some seeds of Lavandula angustifolia.

9 years ago

I am finally in Raleigh I had more things to bring than i thought! I have 2 rooted begonia Withacoochee and a couple other goodies, plus a nice selection of coleus...if they survived the trip!

Judy, did you get my email?

This post was edited by countrygirl_sc on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 21:05

9 years ago

Kim and Ralph, we're going to be at the plant distribution tomorrow too. My first one!

This post was edited by countrygirl_sc on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 21:13

• anna_8nc
    9 years ago

Sabji,
    I can bring some rosemary cuttings, I didn't think to root any. I have mints, chives, and garlic chives potted.
    Anna

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Sabji : do you have any fenugreek seeds? I have some variegated basil if you are interested

Magick: Re you still looking for Stella d oro lily? Would like your white rebloom azalea. Or maybe you would like a variegated basil?

Gail, I am jealous! Get something awesome! I will be joining everyone next year for that event.

Camelialover: I have set aside purple balloon flower seeds, yellow iris, and Persian shield for your thalictrum, agapanthus, and spirea

• MagickMare
    9 years ago

lisianthuslover - Stella d oro lily would be great!

• sabji
    9 years ago

Hi lisianthuslover ,
    Yes!!!
    I can bring Fenugreek seed for you. I also have plenty of holy basil seed.
    I would love the var. ted basil and any other edible stuff !!!

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful plants. It was great seeing everyone and meeting new gardeners.

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 21:51

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Crazy good exchange, beautiful weather, amazing gardeners, wonderful plants. Even though I got home super late last night, I still found my way at 5 this morning checking out the stash. How fun! Thanks everyone! Lorabell

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    9 years ago

It was nice joining you yesterday and meeting so many wonderful people. Thank you for the new treasures for my garden.

Val

9 years ago

I had a great time seeing everyone, lots of great plants, food, and people.... but I don't want to talk about how many plants I brought home! Now I have to plant them all! I know I said I didn't want very much, but when I saw all the goodies, I lost control! LOL!

• Lauren Clear
    9 years ago

What a wonderful event this was. It was my first time there, and it was a blast. Thanks for organizing this plant exchange. And the food that everyone brought for the picnic was so yummy. See you next year!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz