Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013

trianglejohn
10 years ago

Come one. Come all! The Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, October 5th 2013 at White Deer Park (Pine Shelter) in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2 depending on if everyone has their offerings in place or not.

Normally the swap is in late September but this year there is an heirloom garden conference at Old Salem in Winston-Salem that I plan on attending.

Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We have the shelter from 1:00pm til 4:00pm so show up early and help people haul plants to the shelter.

We have three activities going on at the same time - the general swap, special trades, and the picnic. You are free to join in on any of them. The general swap is done in a modified Round Robin style where I ding a bell and you get to grab a limited number of plants and then stash them in your special hiding spot away from the shelter. After a few rounds all heck breaks loose and we just grab all the left over plants. The special trade swaps are off to the side and are where you exchange plants one-on-one with someone you have arranged a trade with. There will be a Special Trades thread started here on the Carolina Garden Web Exchange subforum to handle all the details. The only rule is that you need to keep your special trades away from the main shelter or else someone may take them during the general swap. The picnic is after the swapping. A Swap Food List thread will also show up where people can announce what they will be bringing. There are a few grocery stores nearby so that items can be picked up on your way to the park if you don’t want to cook.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

I believe this is our 12th year of getting together to talk dirty and trade plants!!! Some of you were there from the very beginning and some of you are recent converts to this crazy hobby. On the surface this activity looks like its all about the plants but in the end it is really all about the people - we enjoy spending the afternoon talking to other gardeners as much as we do playing in the dirt.

Here’s the town of Garner’s web page about the park:
http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right side of the road. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far.

Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. I think the parking lot is one way. Our shelter is after the turn and right up against the parking lot. Look for the small sign that says “Pine” up on the eave of the building. There is a map on the park website above.

The parks address is: White Deer Park 2400 Aversboro Street Garner NC 27529

Comments (150)

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I meant trade page. I can't think and type at the same time.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

tamelask: I would like the deutzia and/or old fashion bridal wreath spirea. Oh, and would love to try the Paw Paw seedling for my boys.They love fruit. Do you have any Iris cristata available?

Elsiefay: I don't have the snow on the mountain yet. I was going to get that from lamcgowa. I did send you an email the other day letting you know what I had available for the pink andel trumpet. I can resend you the email. Sorry for the confusion.

Hollyclyff: yes to Roma & Thai Rainbow Canna and Dragon's blood sedum Lime zinger is barely there. Looks like the cats like hanging out near it. I hang to move it or put it in a pot to regroup for now...sorry.

Magick: Thank you for B&B salvia. Jasmine looks interesting and would like a gardenia...I love the way they smell but I am not good at rooting the ones I have. LOL. I looked at the wallflowers and pulled a few cuttings to root for you.

Casa Lester: My dianthus is low growing in a tight mound and looks like a miniature "florist" style carnation. My john creech is probably best for you since the lime zinger is not liking where I planted it...or maybe one of the cats terrorized it. UURRR! John Creech does get a little stringy in sandy areas.

lamcgowa: Thanks. I have a deep purple verbena and a yellow moonbeam coreopsis for you. How about a yellow long stem rose rooting/cutting?

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 22:37

• plantbug
    10 years ago

I am bringing these plants to the swap:

Native
    grape fern

Other
    yucca Color Guard
    small green ivy
    small variegated ivy
    campanula purple bells
    hosta, named
    hosta, no names
    rice paper plant

Let me know if you see any interest. plantbug

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Tamelask,

I have a couple smaller rhubarb left along with several varieties of garlic.

I would love a bignonia vine and manettia if possible.

Laura Lorabell

• anna_8nc
    10 years ago

Krystol,
    I would like a start of orange ginger and a red bud sapling. I can bring you several rhisomes of dark purple iris.
    Anna

• anna_8nc
    10 years ago

And rhizomes should be spelled with a z, not an s.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Hi Tammy,

I can bring you a mini foxglove(s). I'm going to pass on the angel wing/dragon wing begonias, but if you have an unusual color daylily or iris, I would love one of those.

• dogridge
    10 years ago

Anna- sounds great.

Krystol

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Lisianthuslover, I would like to have a aloe vera.

Tamelask, Can I have a begonia vine please?

Plantbug, I would love to get a yucca color guard .

I have triple yellow datura seed and white phlox plants if anyone is intrested.Thanks!

• tamelask
    10 years ago

elsie, i don't have begonia vine. i think you're thinking bignonia, which is a native called cross vine. I only had one and it's spoken for this time but i can def get you some for another swap.

judy, i can bring a piece of a strangely colored small bearded iris. lovely.

iamgcowa, you have the manettia.

lora bell i only have one of manettia and since iam asked first ... - i will see if i can dig another but this time of yr it's difficult. i normally dig them in spring when they first appear now they are a tangled, twisted mess. but i will look for you. The bignonia is yours. is there anything else i can get you?

plant bug can i bring you anything for the wintergreen?

country girl, happy to bring the begonia cuttings. and the mum is yours. the lycoris is blooming right now and does much better if dug in the spring before it goes dormant (or after). any chance you could wait? i'd love some grape hyacinth and i'll ck your trade page and see what else there might be and post again.

lisianthus, i'll set those aside for you. iris cristata looks pitiful right now. could that maybe wait til spring? I'll ck your page and post again.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

lisianthus, i'd love some walking onions if you have any extras. and maybe some flamingo feather (the water plant?)

country girl, i'm interested in cuttings (or plants) or several of your coloeus- saturn, kiwi, duckfoot and trailing plum are all favorites and i had no coleus this year at all. i'd alos be interested in a small piece of any of your smaller (not tall) varieties of sedums (a variety pack! :) . i do have the lineo one.

10 years ago

I have potted Saturn, Kiwi Fern, and the duckfoot cuttings. I may have rooted cuttings of trailing plum I also have a dwarf Dwarf variegatied Kamtschaticium already potted. I have a small piece of the Chocolate Ball sedum and can get some of the Dwarf Kamtschaticium. I can wait on the Lycoris.

I was looking at your trade page and was wondering if I could get cuttings from your New Dawn.

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Tametask

I would love a campanula panctuta if available.
    Laura lorabell

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Tametask

I would love a campanula panctuta if available.
    Laura lorabell

• lamcgowa
    10 years ago

Elsiefay I'd love some White Phlox

Please check my list and let me know what you'd like.

Laura McGowan

10 years ago

This is my special swap list. Let me know if I missed anyone or anything:

Judy: Chocolate Ball Sedum, Variegated Dwarf Kamtschaticium, Daylilies - 4, and Vita Fire Iris, I was only able to get small tubers of those other two Irises, but they will multiply

Kim: Yellow Red Hot Poker, Daylilies - 3, edging stones, and grape hyacinths

Laura: Daylilies - 4, Ice plants - 1 with purple blooms and 1 with yellow blooms

Elsifay: Yucca Bright Edge

Magick: Mickey Mouse EE

Tamelask: Coleus Saturn, Duckfoot, Trailing Plum, and Kiwi Fern, Dwarf Kamtchaticium, Var Dwarf Kamtchaticium
    Chocolate Ball Sedum, and grape hyacinths

CasaLester: grape hyacinths

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a list of what I am bringing to the swap, not for Special Trades, just the general swap. I'm only posting this so that anyone interested will have time to google stuff before Saturday. Everything I'm bringing needs winter protection except some extra Cauliflower seedlings. My plant collection has swung over towards tropical fruits. I realize many don't have a greenhouse but most of what I grow can handle being a houseplant during the winter and some will even come back in the Spring if you bury them in a deep layer of dry leaves.

Avocado seedlings - I grew some for grafting work. these are my extras. They're big and burly. Most likely Haas.

Tamarillo seedlings - also known as Tree Tomato. Make a beautiful large leaved small tree. Likes cool weather but not frosts. Can get to 10 feet tall in a pot.

Tzimbalo seedlings - a relative of Pepino Melon. Make a nice potted plant for the patio but can't take frosts. Grow them like a tomato.

Guava seedling (pink flesh) - guavas do well in pots and will fruit after a few years. They can handle the first light frosts but anything harder will kill them.

Black Magic Elephant Ear - I have a clump that comes back every year in my yard. This was my back up plant in the greenhouse. They are not supposed to be reliably winter hardy.

Variegated Shell Ginger - these will come back if buried deep and we have a mild winter. They look best if dug up and potted and brought inside til Spring. Prefer bright shade and rich soil and lots of water in the Summer.

Cherimoya seedlings - the tropical relative of Pawpaw. Won't survive winter but like cool weather and shade.

Philodendron Monstera - also known as Swiss Cheese plant. This one is a cutting from a plant Rootdigger brought to a swap years ago. Typical house plant.

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Laura, I potted up the white phlox for you.Do you have a snow on the mt.See ya there!

• tamelask
    10 years ago

larabell, i did find another diggable manettia and one besides this morn so i set that aside, and you certainly can have the campanula as well.

countrygirl, i've tried to kill my new dawn (too big for the spot and toooo thorny), but it keeps coming back, lol. i'm sure i can get some cuttings. i'll take them that morning.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

i also just found a bignonia (cross vine) that came up nicely, so if you'd like it, elsie, it's yours.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

judy, i dug 2 iris for you. 1, i couldn't find the tag for and as i recall is either creamy white with blue fuzz or yellow with blue fuzz. The other one is cherry tart. The first image that comes up on a google images search is it. Hard to describe but beautiful!

here's the link:
    http://www.iriswarehouse.com/iriswarehouse/cherry-tart-iris-iriswarehouse.html

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Tamelash, Thank you very much. I would like to have the cross vine.Can I bring you a white phlox or a real pretty mum.

country girl,What am I suppose to bring you except the angel trumpets.

Judy,do you have a variegated leaf iris for me.

10 years ago

elsiefay, the reblooming yellow iris. I'm also bringing you those 2 or 3 gallons pots. I hope I don't forget them!

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Gail, O.k now I remember.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Elsie - I can bring you a variegated leave iris. I have 3 small ones in a pot for you.

Tammy - The irises sound great. All of a sudden, I’m crazy about irises.

This is my Special Trade List. Please let me know if I have left someone/something off.

Countrygirl Gail - variegated iris, stargazer hydrangea, lady in red hydrangea, unnamed hosta, sedum (lime zinger?), ajuga reptan, bletilla & strawberry begonia.

casalester - archangel (lamiastrum galeobdolon) & arborvitae fern

Dana - Coffee Trader Iris

dogridge - orange double daylilly

Elsie - variegated iris

Hosta200 Mike - pitcher plant that we spoke of, at the spring swap

Jerri - What do you want for the Coral Bark Japanese Maple?

Laura M. - What am I bringing you?

lisianthuslover - bletilla

lorabell - ajuga reptan & bletilla

Plantbug - Texan Elephant Ear & ostrich fern (I’m gong to bring those bare root if that’s ok?)

Ralph - Lady in Red Hydrangea

Tammy - Mini Foxgloves

• tamelask
    10 years ago

country girl, it appears i finally managed to kill new dawn. So, i can tell you the other roses i have and you can let me know if any of those tickles your fancy. I have red cascade, veilchenblau, fantin latour, aloha (new dawn is a parent of that rose), a shortish gallica type fragrant double red purple that spreads (pretty sure it is belle de crecy), work of art, pink pillar, and dortmund. The latter 3 are difficult to root - in fact, i pretty much listed them in order of ease of rooting (i can dig a section of belle).

Elsie, how about some seeds instead? I'd love some california poppies, moonflower, cosmos, foxglove and/or delphinium seeds if that's ok.

So, here's what i have for everyone (? mark means i haven't heard from you):

elsie: bignonia for seeds

lorabell: rhubarb and garlic for bignonia, manettia, campanula punctata

?casalester: powis castle for b&b salvia?

judy: mini foxglove for cherry tart and other mini iris

iamgcowa: pulmonaria for manettia

plant bug: spotted wintergreen for ? (i don't have anything from your wish list unfortunately)

lisianthus: spirea, deutzia, pawpaw for walking onion and water celery?

country girl: country girl mum, begonia cuttings, possible lycoris, possible rose cuttings for sedums and coleus

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

Tam,I have tons of seed.That will be great.I collected cosmos today.

Judy,thank you! You can take your pick,at the swap.ok?

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Elsie, That sounds good.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Please don't forget to sign up on the food list. I'm planning on bringing plastic tablecloths for the food tables, enough paper products (plates, napkins, forks & spoons) for 100 people. A cooler with cold bottle water and diet sodas, enough for 40 people.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Elsiefay: I have the aloe vera for you. Thank you. Oh and by the way, thank you for the cosmos you started at Spring. It has decided to bloom like crazy. Colors are so pretty. My bees love them.

Tammy: I have the water celery and walking onions for you. Thank you. I am envious of Jeri's red cascade rose. It loves her dirt. I thought you already have walking onions? I saw some bamboo in my back woods so I am going to dig some up for you. I can wait on the iris cristata. No worries maybe next time.

Hollyclyff: Something else for the Lime Zinger Sedum? I am not proud of it.

Casalester: please confirm what you would like for the special trade so I can get it together for you. Thanks.

***I have available a lavender passionflower vine (1) and a red cypress vine (1). The cypress vine can be invasive.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

Lisianthus- are you Cynthia? If so, i didn't make the connection. I have LOTS of aquilegia canadensis plants for you... I did have walking onions for years but they all died out (i think the bed got too shady). Ralph gave me some this spring but i put them all out at the community garden. I could get some from there but i figured if you had some i may as well get some now. Oh, and i really don't need any more boo since i have like 6 kinds now (i need to ck my list apparently - it plopped some old list in there at some point). and believe me, digging it is super hard work. But thank you! If you already have, someone else is bound to want some. I'll get you some iris cristata for the spring swap.

elsie, great news about the seeds! Thanks.

10 years ago

tamelask, I will just pass on the rose cuttings. I have over 100 roses and half of them are still in pots.

Jeri, can you please confirm the coral bark maple and let me know what you may want?

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    10 years ago

lisianthuslover: Let's go for your miniature Dianthus and 'John Creech' sedum.

tamelask: one pot of Artemisia 'Powis Castle' (the only one we have) is reserved for you. We are already getting 'Black and Blue' so would you have some ebony spleenwort instead?

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Tammy, I just looked at the iris link. Oh my gosh, that's beautiful. I can't wait to have that in my collection. Thanks for sharing. Judy

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

CasaLester:

Do you have any Illicium 'fla sunshine' left? I can swap for hardy agave.

Carla

• Hollyclyff
    10 years ago

lisianthuslover that's ok. I'll still bring the ones you wanted though. The milkweed may not survive as it's been eaten up by milkweed bugs recently, plus I've not had the best of luck transplanting it anyway. I was planning to bring you a seed pod along with what I dig up.

10 years ago

All, I'm bringing several daylily seedlings for the general swap. I have not seen them bloom so they will be a surprise for whoever gets them! I started out with 60 seedlings and they have been all different colors, so I have the same expectation for these remaining ones. I am also bringing two that are red (similar Sammy Russell).
    I don't want anything in exchange for these, just thinning out my daylily garden.

• Ralph Whisnant
    10 years ago

I am looking for a few additional plants and seed for the vegetable beds in the new Children's Garden at J C Raulston Arboretum. These new gardens are located near the center of the Annual Trial Gardens. The purpose of this garden is to help children in the J C Raulston Children's Program and their parents learn where their food comes from and to demonstrate to everyone how much of it can be grown throughout the cooler months. About 70% of the beds have been planted with cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, Bok Choi, Swiss Chard, radishes, lettuce, spinach, collards, sugar snap peas, kale, parsley, cilantro, arugula, turnips, garlic, carrots and onions. kohlrabi. We would like to have more onions, garlic, leeks and shallots and some additional lettuce plants, so if you have any extra perennial herbs or cold hardy vegetable plants or seeds that you think we might use please let me know by email asap and I will let you know if we can use them. Suggestions about any other winter hardy varieties that we might add, even if you do not have seeds or plants will also be considered.
    See you at the swap.

• jbarutis
    10 years ago

Don't know about you guys, but fall has arrived in the Triangle-- my dogwoods are changing colors!!

CountryGirl, yes, I'll bring a coral bark Jap maple for you. I enjoyed some of your coleus in the past but was unable to get cuttings in time to over-winter. Just choose one or two for me :-)
    Jdbheartease: Is oak leaf hydrangea a bush? I think I'd like that. I love hellebores (and they seem to like the spot below my cbjm), so maybe a hellebore foetidus.
    If I can find a third sapling, Majick, it's yours, and I'd love a vitafire bearded iris.
    There will be more cbjm's in the future... Mother Nature willing!!
    -Jeri

10 years ago

Jeri, I picked out four of my favorite coleus. I'm sure you will like them as much as I have this year.

• Judy Brown
    10 years ago

Jeri,
    Yes, oak leaf hydgrangea is a bush. The 2 oak leaf hydrangeas that I was bringing are both looking sad. I can still bring you one and will bring a helleborus foetidus as well.

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

Tammy -- Would one of your big flying dragons be as big as the one I had at the solstice party last year? I'd like to have a replacement for this year's decoration. I'll take a couple of paw paw seedlings too. I'll bring some milkweed for you. You can have whatever you want and I'll put any extra out for the general swap.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

carla- my 'big' flying dragons are still only about a foot, maybe a couple inches over that. They grow soooo slowly! You're more than welcome to one, though. You could also come & cut some off our big one to use for your solstice tree (i don't recall it, sorry).

casalester, yes, i'll happily bring you an ebony spleenwort. You know they're pretty small, even when full size, right? Cute little buggers.

judy, glad you're happy with the iris. It's stunning in person. Got it from a fellow trader yrs back.

• ratgirl
    10 years ago

tammy -- i'll come cut a branch then. that'll work. funny you don't remember because it had terrarium ornaments on it--including the one you made me. !!

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

tamelask- I am not Cynthia. My name is Kim. You gave me the alstromeria at the Spring swap. I have enjoyed the plants I picked up from the general swap from the spring.

Hollyclyff- Thank you. You are welcome to look at the general swap pile that I am bringing to pick something out instead of the Lime Zinger.

Does anyone have any ornamental oregano or lemon thyme? You can email me directly if you do please.

• lisianthuslover
    10 years ago

Lorabell: I have not forgotten about your special trades. :)

Magick: The wallflower cutting/rootings are not looking good today but I will look again tomorrow and maybe I can bring extra cuttings for you and you can pick something else to go with it? Also, are you still trading the gardenias? I am interested in it please.

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:20

10 years ago

ratgirl: unfortunately, all pots with Illicium 'fla sunshine' are already taken, more cuttings will be made for the Spring swap

tamelask: does ebony spleenwort form a dense clump? It could be good for the front of a fern section with its lower height. Do you have any other ferns that can be good groundcovers?

• elsiefay
    10 years ago

I still have yellow angel trumpets.Tomorrow is the day.So excited!

• dogridge
    10 years ago

Tammy-
    Do you have any extra paw-paws?

• tamelask
    10 years ago

casalester, the lady fern makes a nice clump and is easy. spleenwort does make a clump but it's small- like maybe 8" when full grown, so i doubt you'll get much coverage. It is evergreen, though. your choice.

lisianthuslover, my bad. i just assumed b/c you'd seen jeri's rose... i do recall digging alstromeria this spring. It was a bit frantic, though at the swap. be nice to put a face to a name. i do have some ornamental oregano, can get you some.

Carla, yes, i remember now! Super cute. Sure, swing by afterwards and get a branch. but you can have a pot, too- i have several. :) by the time you move it might be to a whole 2'! LOL

yes, dogridge, i have plenty of pawpaws. Your name is on one! :)

10 years ago

tamelask: let's go for more substance and get the lady fern then

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry