Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 15:31

Come one. Come all! The Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, October 5th 2013 at White Deer Park (Pine Shelter) in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2 depending on if everyone has their offerings in place or not.

Normally the swap is in late September but this year there is an heirloom garden conference at Old Salem in Winston-Salem that I plan on attending.

Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We have the shelter from 1:00pm til 4:00pm so show up early and help people haul plants to the shelter.

We have three activities going on at the same time - the general swap, special trades, and the picnic. You are free to join in on any of them. The general swap is done in a modified Round Robin style where I ding a bell and you get to grab a limited number of plants and then stash them in your special hiding spot away from the shelter. After a few rounds all heck breaks loose and we just grab all the left over plants. The special trade swaps are off to the side and are where you exchange plants one-on-one with someone you have arranged a trade with. There will be a Special Trades thread started here on the Carolina Garden Web Exchange subforum to handle all the details. The only rule is that you need to keep your special trades away from the main shelter or else someone may take them during the general swap. The picnic is after the swapping. A Swap Food List thread will also show up where people can announce what they will be bringing. There are a few grocery stores nearby so that items can be picked up on your way to the park if you don’t want to cook.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

I believe this is our 12th year of getting together to talk dirty and trade plants!!! Some of you were there from the very beginning and some of you are recent converts to this crazy hobby. On the surface this activity looks like its all about the plants but in the end it is really all about the people - we enjoy spending the afternoon talking to other gardeners as much as we do playing in the dirt.

Here’s the town of Garner’s web page about the park:
http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right side of the road. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far.

Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. I think the parking lot is one way. Our shelter is after the turn and right up against the parking lot. Look for the small sign that says “Pine” up on the eave of the building. There is a map on the park website above.

The parks address is: White Deer Park 2400 Aversboro Street Garner NC 27529

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013

woohoo! I've been watching for this! I hope/think i may be able to come this fall. but don't know what I may be able to bring

o

sorry, posted twice!

This post was edited by countrygirl_sc on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:23

o

I'm putting it on my calendar. Hope to see you there Countrygirl!!

o

I so wish I could make it. I LOVE this swap and it was so much fun meeting all of you last time I was there.

o

Shoot...I've left my schedule open in September waiting for the date.. I have shows already booked for all of October. I see me going into serious withdrawls not being able to attend! Shoot. Laura

o

Where there is a will, there is a way! Apparently my addiction has won out and I scheduled someone else to do my show that weekend.!.. So yes, I will be attending, How fun. Thanks for hosting such a great event.

o

Great news! but you might have to explain exactly what sort of "shows" we're talking about???

o

Great news! I am super excited. Now I have to get busy and update my trade lists. See you all there.

o

Bummer. I will miss it again. I have missed few of these, but never 2 in a row. Have fun!

o

Hello
I would like to introduce myself.
I live in raleigh nc and an interested in attending the swap so I can meet people and see what others grow. I have a small vegetable garden, tomatoes, eggplants peppers, Luffa sqash, bitter squash, purslane, methi, coriander, basil( thai, sweet and spicy), yard long beans etc. I currently buy most of the seeds/ transplants at the farmer's market and the asian store in Cary.
I would love to grow other vegetables, flowers and fruits that are not available at the regular stores. Any input is appreciated.
I am not sure how to go about this. Do I preregister for the swap? Thanks in advance.

o

sabji - You're doing things right! You can introduce yourself in any of the forums or sub-forums. Talking about the swap works best if it is here in the Exchange sub-forum just because it will keep responses in line with everyone else's comments.

You don't have to do anything to register for the swap. It is more like a party in the afternoon with a pot luck picnic. We just happen to be crazy gardeners that want to trade plants and chat with other gardeners. The only thing to worry about is being late. The organized swapping starts around 2 and it can be over with quickly - it all depends on how many people show up and how many plants there are to trade. But even if you are running late, still come because there are always extra plants and people willing to give some of their stuff away to late comers and there is always the food and talking that takes up the rest of the afternoon.

The park has a playground right behind our shelter (Pine Shelter) and there are walking trails and a nature center if you have kids that want to come with you but don't want to swap plants. Across the street is the older park (Lake Benson Park) which has even more stuff to do.

My advice is to come to the swap and don't worry about what to bring. If you have some plants or seeds or even vegetables to share, bring them. If you want to bring some food or snacks, bring it. You don't have to bring enough to feed the whole group - just bring what you are comfortable bringing. This is not supposed to be a stressful experience, this is supposed to be about having fun. There are grocery stores nearby so we can always run down the street and pick up extra food if we need it.

I can tell you there are few people in this group that like to grow a lot of the same stuff you're growing so there should be plenty of people to talk to (look for Me - Triangle John, Tammy and Ralph).

If you are new to the Garner area, there is a similar Asian market on Hwy 401/70 which is also called South Saunders, a couple of miles to the west of the park. It is a bit bigger than the market in Cary but not packed as full. There is also a nice Hispanic market in the shopping center beside it.

o

Countrygirl_sc: I'll bring you Forsythia 'Kumson' for your Albo Marginata Xanthosoma Mickey Mouse Taro (lost mine a few years back) & Heuchera Southern Comfort

o

Hello Traingle John
Thanks for the reply!
I have been living in Raleigh, since 1994. I just happened to see this forum, when I was googling for some info on Tindora gourd(Coccinia grandis) . I wonder if anyone is growing this vine here in raleigh and any information on how to grow it.
I am glad to know there are folks around here who love to dig in the dirt like me!
I look forward to meeting you all at the swap.

o

Hello!!!!!!! Everybody. I have angel trumpets:5 yellow and 3 pink.Lets swap folks?

o

Hello Elsiefay! I enjoyed your treasures last swap. Could you save me a pink angel trumpet please? I am collecting things now and will let you know what I have available.

o

Hey, Pink angel trumpet saved just for you. Lisianthuslover.

o

Hey, Pink angel trumpet saved just for you. Lisianthuslover.

o

magick, I have not been ignoring you, but have not had time to look at my Heucheras to see if they are large enough to split. How big is the Kumson? It is the green one with the white veins, right?

sabji, welcome to the group!

o

I will bring chocolate fudge candy!!!

o

oh, my heucheras are in worse shape than I thought and I will not be able to divide any of them at this time. I removed them from my exchange list. Too much rain, then too hot without rain.

o

Hey Countrygirl, Do you have Sedum Hakonense Chocolate Ball for sharing? If so, I'd like to get some. I've got your variegated leave iris potted up. I'm also bringing you a stargazer hydrangea. I need to go back thru my old e-mails and see what else we spoke about. I'm so glad that your coming.

o

I have some little pieces that are rooting. I'll look to see if I can get more. the only other thing I can remember was some of your favorite hosta...

o

For trade, I have some Salvia 'Black and Blue' and some hardy lantanas (One is pink and yellow, the other is orange), some tropical butterfly weed (Aclepias currasavica) for the Monarch butterflies, three kinds of hardy begonia, Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' which is not hardy, lots of native Hibiscus 'Texas Star', Salvia 'El Butano' and Lysimachia Persian Chocolate and 'Golden Globes'.

o

Trade time!

I have a white columbine (lime sorbet) plant and also some black columbine (barlow) seedlings.
I have garlic, each contains 8 or so toes
Pescadero
Creole
Translvania
Red Toch
Rogue River Red
Aglio Rosso
I've Rhubarb plants ready for Fall planting
and I've some Shamrocks Oxalis mostly the green variety
a few with purple

o

Lorabell I would like to get some garlic. What kinds of things are you looking for?

o

I've updated my wish listing....

I almost forgot I have container peppers, mature producing plants for trade. Mostly the super hots like ghost(bhut jolokia), yellow devils tongue, but also have some hots, hot Tobago seasoning, aji crystal, chocolate habanero, and a couple milders, a peppadew, and rain forest. And I have several varieties of hot oriental type pepper plants as well.

Speaking of perhaps going a bit overboard with the peppers.. I'll also be bringing pepper poppers for the picnic.

o

I have phlox subulata 'Emerald Blue' and 'William Guiness' columbine if you want a different black columbine. Also various ground cover sedums.

o

Holly,

I would like any or all of those. Let me know how many varieties you would like of the garlic. Laura

o

By any chance would anyone want these edger stones? I have about a dozen of the curved ones and 4 or 5 of the straight ones. I am not using them anymore. Color is off, they are the pinky-red ones

Also have an aquarium that I was using as a propagation chamber, keeping one, but looking for a home for the second. It is 30" long, 12" wide, and 19" deep.

would anyone want some grape hyacynths? I have thousands and will be glad to dig some bulbs if anyone wants them. They multiply. LOL

o

Forgot the picture of the grape hyacinths, they are not blooming now, but will bloom in the spring:

o

Would love the stones please! And some grape hyacinths!

o

Ok, the stones and some grape hyacinths are yours. To me the GH smell like grape suckers. be sure to put them somewhere they can multiply. don't know if you are familiar with them, but the foliage dies during the summer and comes back in the fall.

o

I have: [3] lilac bushes------------lavender
[3] phlox-------paniculata-----white
[3] confederate rose----pink
[4] banana trees I'll have more later.

o

Lorabelle, could I get a couple of your rhubarb plants? I have some garlic from Romania and some salvias for you. I will look at your wish list and see what else I can bring you.

o

countrygirl_sc - Sorry for the delay... It is the green with white veins (I have a thing for variegated plants). Do you have any Mickey Mouse Taro to share?

I'll be taking better inventory this weekend to see whats held up well enough to swap; but I know I have:

Variegated jasmine runners
Basjoo bananas
Black & Blue Salvia
Mexican Petunia
Horsetails
Gardenias

o

Yes, it will be a small one. I separated two or three from the mother a couple weeks ago. One is already promised, but would love to trade one of the others for the Kumson. How big is the Kumson?

Like you, I'll be checking my garden again this weekend.

o

Lorabell I can bring all of those for you. I would love to get a little of each garlic - but whatever you would like to trade. I looked them all up and couldn't decide.

o

Ralph, rhubarb is set aside for you. Am looking forward to your trade, I always get such great plants.

Holly, garlic is set aside for you. Some of each. Also looking forward to your trade, sound like cool plants.

Elsie, your white phlox has my interest. Anything you are looking for.

laua

o

This sounds exciting. I don't have any plants but lots of different heirloom seeds to swap.

I would garlic if there is that to bring. I grew some last using just organic garlic from the store and it did pretty well.

o

We have a number of rooted cuttings and layers started in last winter/spring for trades:

Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - A. arborescens x A. absinthium, evergreen subshrub, fast growing to 2-3'
Cestrum nocturnum (Lady of the Night Jasmine) - perennial in Zone 8, good in containers, can overwinter in garage
Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' - slower growing chartreuse variety, very shade tolerant
Jasminum officinalis 'Frojas' - chartreuse/golden variety, deciduous in Zone 7/8

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated trade list

o

Lora,I'll put aside a white phlox for you.Do you have any creeping babies breath?

o

Ralph, I have your blue iris all ready to go.Do have any tradescantia [cold hardy] ?

/

o

Elsie, I don't have babies breath. I do have chocolate chip ajuga or red hot poker sedum. I also have about 40 named succuents if you're into them.

o

I finally got my trade list together. This is what I have for trade:

Ajuga Reptan - Burgundy Glow
Archangel - Lamiastrum Galeobdolon
Hardy Begonia - perennial pink flowers
Blackberry Lillies
Black Eyed Susans
Bletilla - Purple (1 plant per trade - 3 trades)
Campanula - White bells with burgundy specs
Comfrey (miniature) white flowers
Corydalis aurea - yellow
Crinium (unsure of the color)
Gooseneck - Lysimachia Clethroides (very invasive)
Green & Gold
Helleborus Foetidus
Hydrangea - Oak Leaf (2)
Iris - Pale Purple
Iris - roof (Not sure if they’re purple or white)
Japanese parsley
Miniature Foxgloves (3’ - 4’) Cream with red specks.
Obedient Plant - purple
Phlox - tall white (1 trade)
Spiderworts (purple) - perennial (1 trade)
Strawberry Begonia
Texan Elephant Ear (3’ - 4’ perennial) spreads by runners (1 Trade)

I’m looking for white or green daylillies, unusual irises, white bletilla, pickled jerusalem artichokes and unusual plants.

I am bringing the following to folks. These were plants promised at the Spring Swap.

Ralph - I have 2 Lady in Red Hydrangeas potted up from last time. Did the 2 Stargazer Hydrangea survive from the Spring Swap for you?
Countrygirl - I have a Stargazer Hydrangea, varigated leaf iris, and the hosta, that we spoke about potted up for you.
Hosta200 - I have the pitcher plant that you wanted, potted.
Dana - I’ll bring the Coffee Trader Iris to you.

o

jdbheartease : could I get one of your Bletillas? My trade list... for the most part is updated... please let me know what is "interesting" to you.

o

jdbheartease,
I would love your ajuga reptan I have ajuga chocolate chip if you would like some.

Would also love a blatilla, I have a white daylily unnamed. Bloomed almost all July and smelled like Easter lilies. One of my favorite daylilies.

Gotta ask, what is a pickled jjerusalam artichoke plant. I couldn't find it onlne. I just harvested some J artichokes this week to replant if you would like a few.

o

jdbheartease, I sent you photos of the daylilies that are available for trade. I would be interested in the bletilla too. You wouldn't have an extra Lady in Red Hydrangea, would you?

o

Good Morning,

Lisianthus - Yes, I can bring you a bletilla. I would love to have one of your trailing hanging African Violets, if it’s available for sharing.

Lorabell - Yes, I can bring you the ajuga reptan and a Bletilla. I would love the Chocolate Chip ajuga (one of my favorites ajugas, that I don’t have anymore) and a white daylily.
Oh, the pickled Jerusalem Artichoke, it’s food. Ralph’s brother brought a jar to the last Plant Swap's Potluck. They're delicious. Since, I haven’t been able to find them in the store, I thought maybe I could trade him a plant for a small jar of those artichokes.

Countrygirl - I got the photos and replied to your home email address. I hope you got that e-mail. If not, let me know .
You’re in luck. I have one extra, Lady in Red. I’ll bring that, the bletilla and the other plants we spoke of. I have variegated liriope (white and green). Would you like a pot of that to go with your variegated plants?

Of note: I do have Crocosmia (dark orangey-red), white ageratum and variegated liriope for trade. I’m also looking for white or red spider lilies. Looks like, I’m out of bletilla for trading.

o

Yes, I got it. I didn't realize I sent my email from a different email than the one I have listed here. Those Daylilies are all available and I may have more than one for some of them. I am just reorganizing my gardens so am not keeping all the daylilies.

o

Oh, I'm going to say no to the liriope. Love the Hosta, I can hardly wait to get it.

For whoever brought the Angel Wing begonia with white specks cutting in the spring, could I get another one? I really love it.

o

Laura, The chocolate chip ajuga .Will be great!

o

CasaLester,

I would love to get a Jasminum officinalis 'Frojas' and a Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' from you. Please check my trade list listed to see, if there's something you would like to trade for. Btw, I have enjoyed the lobelia siphilitica that I got from you at the Spring Swap.

o

Elsie, Thanks, the ajuga has been set aside.
jdb, Thanks as well.

Now for the pickled artichokes, ha, feel a little silly here. You guys down here sure do like pickling everything, for sure. Thought it was some rare variety of the plant! ha

o

jdbheartease: Thank you and YES, I have some trailing violet for you.

Hollyclyff: I am interested in your Siberian Irises, pardancanda, verbena bonariensis, and common milkweed.

Magick: Is your variegated jasmine "winter"? How big are your rooted gardenias? And I am also interested in your Black N Blue Salvia.

CasaLester: I am interested in you lemon thyme, "torch" Mexican sunflower, and the "Florida Sunshine" Illicium...if you have another one that is.

## I received a purplish red pin cushion flower from the Spring swap and needed more information about it. It was dainty and beautiful in color. I think it drowned with all the rain this year. Does it die after it seeds? I tried to catch a few seeds but they were pretty tiny. I am hoping to see it again next year in my garden.

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 10:21

o

lisianthuslover - I can do those. Can you trade for cannas- Roma and Thai Rainbow and sedums - dragon blood and lime zinger?

Judy - You remembered! I have to figure out what I can bring you. Are you interested in any other color daylilies besides white or green? I have lots of purples and yellows. I do have a white with purple eye (Moonlit Masquerade) that's labeled.

I need to work on my trade list.

o

Dana,
You brought me something at the Spring Swap for the iris, but I would love a Moonlit Masquerade Daylilly. See if there's anything else from my list that you want.

o

I'll be at the swap again this year so I updated my trade list:
Arum Italicum
Aster - Tall Purple
Aucuba japonica
Bee Balm - Monarda didyma - Purple
Begonia, Hardy
Blackberry Lilies - Belamcanda chinensis
Black-Eyed-Susan - Rudbeckia hirta
Celandine/Woodland Poppy - Stylophorum diphyllum
Chinese Lanterns - Physalis Alkekengi
Creeping Jenny - Lysimachia Nummularia
Daffodil - Large cupped varieties
Daylilies - Hemerocallis - several varieties and colors
Fern, New York
Gooseneck Loosestrife - Lysimachia Clethroides - may become invasive
Hellebores of unknown colors
Iris, Bearded - Deep Purple, Yellow, Purple and White 'Circus Stripe', Maroon
Japanese Windflower - Anemone - Pink
Kennebec Potatoes
Lily of the Valley - Convallaria majalis - White
Mayapple - Podophyllum peltatum
Nandina domestica
Native Ginger - Asarum canadense
Oregon Grapeholly - Mahonia aquifolium
Phlox - Paniculata (Tall Purple)
Plhox - Divaricata (Purple)
Red Bud Tree - Cercis canadensis
Robbs Wood Spurge - Euphorbia amygdaloides
Rose of Sharon - Hibiscus syriacus
Snow on the Mountain - Aegopodium podagraria
Solomon's Seal, False - Smilacina racemosa
Solomon's Seal, Variegated - Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum'
Tansy - Tanacetum vulgare
Vinca Major and Minor

So send your requests and I'll start potting things up. I'd be doing some of that now if it wasn't raining here!

Lorabell: If you still have some White or Black Columbine, I'd love some.

Countrygirl: The Daylilies I received from you last year are doing well. I have plenty of room for more though!!

I'm also planting a new native garden in a partially shaded area so if anyone has some native shrubs or perennials available, please let me know.

Thanks, Laura

o

Laura,

I have a white columbine "lime sorbet' left.. mature plant, along with smaller black columbine ;barlow. Have them put aside for you and would love a variegated solomons seal in exchange.

Other Laura
Lorabell

o

jdbheartease: We went first to the trading list in your profile and found Arborvitae Fern - Selaginella particularly interesting, but then we realized that you published in this thread an updated list where Selaginella is not present. Is there a chance that you would still have some? From the new list, Archangel - Lamiastrum Galeobdolon would be worth trying out.

lisianthuslover: We have 3 extra pots with "Florida Sunshine", so we can reserve the second one for you. Is your Dianthus - scarlet/red a low-growing variety? Of the two sedums you list - John Creech and lime zinger - which one is more vigorous and dense under drought conditions in full sun?

o

Judy, the 'Stargazer' hydrangeas are doing well. What would you like for one of the 'Lady in Red'?

o

Good Morning,

CasaLester - Yes, I can bring you an Arborvitae Fern - Selaginella and Archangel - Lamiastrum Galeobdolon. I’ll get those potted up this afternoon.

Ralph - I think you brought me something last time for the Lady in Red. Do you only want one?

Laura - I’d love a Maroon Iris, please check my list and see what you would like.

o

Lorabell: I potted up the variegated Solomon's Seal for you, thanks.

I'll also be bringing some Green Dragons if anyone is interested in one.

Laura

o

Lamcgowa please put aside a snow on mountain and green dragon for me. Let me know what you like for trade.

o

Lamcgowa, I have 2 ice plants, one has purple blooms with white eye (Delosperma cooperi) and the other is supposed to be yellow blooms (new for me so I haven't seen it bloom yet and can't remember the variety). I would love to get some of the Mayapple.

o

I have a bunch of iris -- a deep purple bearded type I transplanted from my brother's yard and need to divide. I don't know the scientific name.

o

The second ice plant is Delosperma congestum 'Gold Nugget'.

Would anyone want two small hardy hibiscus? One has white blooms and the other has dark pink or red. I am changing the container and won't be using them anymore. If no one wants them, I can find a home for them here. I don't want anything in swap for them.

o

countrygirl_sc: The Kumson is about 12" tall - straight from the nursery

lisianthuslover:
The jasmine is Variegated Asiatic Jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)
The gardenias are well over a foot tall
The Black & Blue are yours - they spread easily
I'd love some variegated wallflower if you have any left

CasaLester: I'd love an Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' if you have any left

o

Hey ,I have:
Salvia [ Carolina blue]
Confederate rose [pink]
Money tree
Tiger grass
Iris reblooming [yellow]
Lilac [miss kim]
Malvaviscus arboreus [turks cap [ red

o

magick, that sounds great! The Mickey Mouse is about that size or a little bigger. I'm excited about getting the Kumson. I loved the foliage on my other one.

o

lisianthuslover: I potted up Green Dragon, Snow on the Mountain and a large Helleborus for you since I saw that on your want list. Since the color theme for one of my gardents is Yellow, Purple, and White, I can always use Yellow Coreopsis and Purple Verbena.

Judy: The maroon iris is all set and I still have a Split Leaf Japanese Maple that's been sitting in a pot since last year for you!!

Countrygirl: I'll bring a Mayapple for you. The Ice plants sound interesting. Will you be bringing some daylilies again? It's great that you manage to keep track of yours. I'm still struggling with the label game. Please let me know if you'd like me to bring something else for you.

o

I may bring some daylilies but they won't be named...but they won't be orange ditch lilies either! I only have a few named daylilies left and am not sure they are big enough to separate. I would be interested in Bee Balm - Monarda didyma - Purple.

o

Countrygirl: I'm sorry to say I just went on a Mayapple hunt and didn't spot any. I know I have tons of them, but they go dormant in the summer.

I'll bring the Bee Balm though.

Please check my list again to see if anything interests you since I love your Daylilies whether or not they're named.

I'm also bringing some Pulmonaria, by the way.

o

Would anyone be interested in a coral bark Japanese maple? I have a few seedlings ready for a good home. It is my favorite tree!

Laura, I would love some variegated Solomon's seal.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Jeri

o

Laura, I would love a pulmonaria. I sent you an e-mail on Friday at work with some photos. I have some terracotta cylinder wine tiles that you might possibly want.They would look on your shoreline with sedums planted in them. Let me know if you want them. Judy

o

I'll be there!
Have:
roof iris (light purple)
maximillion sunflower
campanula cherry bells (spreads)
variegated solomon's seal
unidentified medium all green hosta
strawberry plants
raspberry plants
ginger (orange flower)
creeping jenny
shasta daisy - I have several pots of these
wire plant
white bearded iris
redbud saplings
crocosmia (red, spreads)
ostrich fern
raspberry begonia
several nice sized hydrangea panniculata plants- these get 8'wx12'h

Want:

japanese fern
Japanese forest grass
white jasmine vine
hosta
purple, maroon, black bearded iris
reblooming iris- any color
canna (polite)
agastache
mondarda
daylilies- orange, darker reds
euphorbia wulfenii or other large types

Any plants that do will in dry shade. (Starting a woodland garden.)

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Krystol

o

Jeri, I would like one of the coral bark J maples, please?

o

Good Morning,

Jeri - I'd like to get a Coral Bark Japanese Maple Seedling. Please check my list to see what you would like.

Krystal - I'd like to get a white iris from you. I have the double orange blooming daylillies and the "famous" ditch orange. Would you be interested in one of those?

o

Jeri - I'd like to get a Coral Bark Japanese Maple Seedling too please.

o

Jeri, I can swap a Vitafire bearded iris for the maple. It is beautiful burgundy/dark red

o

Oh, Sorry, Jeri! I was looking at Kristol's wish list. You may not want an iris, but let me know what you do want and I might have it.

o

magick: the 3rd (and last) Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine'* is reserved for you. Do you still have more Salvia 'Black and Blue'?

countrygirl_sc: Could we have some of your grape hyacinths?

* 'Florida Sunshine' seems to be quite popular. The shrub needs pruning, so more cuttings will be made.

o

CasaLester, yes, you may. I have lots and they need thinning.

o

JDB- I'd love the double orange daylily.
I've got a clump of iris for you.

o

Krystal - Is is ok, if I bring your double orange daylillies bare root? Please bring the iris that you're bringing me bare root, if you have not already potted them.

o

CountrygirlSC

I would love the white hibiscus if you still have it available.

Laura Lorabell

o

CountrygirlSC

I would love the white hibiscus if you still have it available.

Laura Lorabell

o

JBD-

THe iris are bare root. Bare root is fine for the lilies.

THAnks!

o

Krystal, Thanks. Judy

o

lorabell, yes, you may. it is the one that has the large white blooms with a pale pink edge. It has lost it's leaves so will look sort of pitiful. The trees and shrubs around my house are predicting an early winter by losing their leaves.

o

Hi Dogridge I would like to have a crocosmia.I'll bring you a reblooming yellow iris.thanks!

o

Jeri, I can bring you a variegated Solomon's Seal.

Dogridge, I would love some Shasta Daisies. Please check my list and let me know what you'd like in exchange. The Robb's Wood Spurge does well in dry shade so I can bring that perhaps.

Judy, I potted up a Pulmonaria for you to add to the Iris and Maple.

Anyone interested in Tansy?

Laura McGowan

o

CasaLester - I have plenty of Black & Blue - I'll bring you some

o

dodridge. I would like your ostrich fern. What hosta are you looking for? plantbug

o

late to the party - been so, so busy this summer! I'm hoping someone out there will have some hen & chicks to share - any colors or sizes.

lorabell, i would LOVE some rhubarb if you still have any left. and any tips on how you are growing it. and maybe some garlic- any are fine. Let me know what you might like in return.

Casalster, i would like some powis castle if it isn't too late. do you want some more black & blue salvia? I have lots.

Jdbheartsease, i'd love some of your mini foxglove. The mini comfrey i got in the spring is doing well! what would you like? i have several angel wing/dragon wing begonias. i won't have time to get them rooted, but i'd be happy to bring some of each if you want. They root easily.

iamgcowa, if you have any pulmonaria left, i'd love to trade for some. i used to have it and always thought it was so delicate and pretty. Let me know if there's anything i have you're interested in.

So far i have potted up:
'flying dragon' poncirus trifoliate orange (couple nice sized ones and a 6 pack if anyone wants to graft citrus)
marion stewart abutilon (hardy here)
malvaviscus drummondii (turk's cap hibiscus)- some are a good size.
manettia, perennial vine, hummers love it
hibiscus coccineus, texas star, likes boggy soil
verbena bonariensis
physostegia, purple/pink (invasive!)
bignonia vine
old fashioned bridal wreath spirea
pomegranate 'nana'
deutzia, white double
reddish coral azalea
aquilegia canadensis
veronia, dame's rocket purple or white
campanula punctata cross (pink flowers)
brugmansia, either pinkish or yellow- can't recall which, sorry
country girl mum (single pink)
rudbeckia triloba
poha husk cherry (not hardy- but great in greenhouse)
triple daylily, orange
parsley seedlings
pawpaw seedlings from very good fruit
hitchhiker elephant ear babies (will grow on/up rocks, tougher leaves than typical)
lathyrus latifolia, perennial sweet pea

i'll probably have more stuff- whatever i can get dug in the bits of time i have this week. i also have lots of houseplants i can take cuttings of ask if you're interested!

o

Lisianthuslover, Could I have one of your snow on the mountain,for the pink angel trumpet.Thanks!

Does anyone have a variegated iris?

o

tamelask, I would love to get some of the begonia cuttings from you. And of course the country girl Mum!

o

Tamelask I'll bring a Pulmonaria for you. I'd love to try the manettia, perennial vine.

o

tamelask, I have your name on the wintergreen.

o

elsiefay- I have your crocosmia ready to go. Yellow iris would be great! My son's favorite color.

Laura- I'll bring a few shastas for the Japanese anemone.

plantbug- I've got your fern ready. I'm looking for any blue puckered hosta large or small. Mini hostas, also.

Thanks!

o

tamelask, I think I saw Lycoris radiatii on your trade package. Do you have any available for trade?

o

I meant trade page. I can't think and type at the same time.

o

tamelask: I would like the deutzia and/or old fashion bridal wreath spirea. Oh, and would love to try the Paw Paw seedling for my boys.They love fruit. Do you have any Iris cristata available?

Elsiefay: I don't have the snow on the mountain yet. I was going to get that from lamcgowa. I did send you an email the other day letting you know what I had available for the pink andel trumpet. I can resend you the email. Sorry for the confusion.

Hollyclyff: yes to Roma & Thai Rainbow Canna and Dragon's blood sedum Lime zinger is barely there. Looks like the cats like hanging out near it. I hang to move it or put it in a pot to regroup for now...sorry.

Magick: Thank you for B&B salvia. Jasmine looks interesting and would like a gardenia...I love the way they smell but I am not good at rooting the ones I have. LOL. I looked at the wallflowers and pulled a few cuttings to root for you.

Casa Lester: My dianthus is low growing in a tight mound and looks like a miniature "florist" style carnation. My john creech is probably best for you since the lime zinger is not liking where I planted it...or maybe one of the cats terrorized it. UURRR! John Creech does get a little stringy in sandy areas.

lamcgowa: Thanks. I have a deep purple verbena and a yellow moonbeam coreopsis for you. How about a yellow long stem rose rooting/cutting?

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 22:37

o

I am bringing these plants to the swap:

Native
grape fern

Other
yucca Color Guard
small green ivy
small variegated ivy
campanula purple bells
hosta, named
hosta, no names
rice paper plant

Let me know if you see any interest. plantbug

o

Tamelask,

I have a couple smaller rhubarb left along with several varieties of garlic.

I would love a bignonia vine and manettia if possible.

Laura Lorabell

o

Krystol,
I would like a start of orange ginger and a red bud sapling. I can bring you several rhisomes of dark purple iris.
Anna

o

And rhizomes should be spelled with a z, not an s.

o

Hi Tammy,

I can bring you a mini foxglove(s). I'm going to pass on the angel wing/dragon wing begonias, but if you have an unusual color daylily or iris, I would love one of those.

o

Anna- sounds great.

Krystol

o

Lisianthuslover, I would like to have a aloe vera.

Tamelask, Can I have a begonia vine please?

Plantbug, I would love to get a yucca color guard .

I have triple yellow datura seed and white phlox plants if anyone is intrested.Thanks!

o

elsie, i don't have begonia vine. i think you're thinking bignonia, which is a native called cross vine. I only had one and it's spoken for this time but i can def get you some for another swap.

judy, i can bring a piece of a strangely colored small bearded iris. lovely.

iamgcowa, you have the manettia.

lora bell i only have one of manettia and since iam asked first ... - i will see if i can dig another but this time of yr it's difficult. i normally dig them in spring when they first appear now they are a tangled, twisted mess. but i will look for you. The bignonia is yours. is there anything else i can get you?

plant bug can i bring you anything for the wintergreen?

country girl, happy to bring the begonia cuttings. and the mum is yours. the lycoris is blooming right now and does much better if dug in the spring before it goes dormant (or after). any chance you could wait? i'd love some grape hyacinth and i'll ck your trade page and see what else there might be and post again.

lisianthus, i'll set those aside for you. iris cristata looks pitiful right now. could that maybe wait til spring? I'll ck your page and post again.

o

lisianthus, i'd love some walking onions if you have any extras. and maybe some flamingo feather (the water plant?)

country girl, i'm interested in cuttings (or plants) or several of your coloeus- saturn, kiwi, duckfoot and trailing plum are all favorites and i had no coleus this year at all. i'd alos be interested in a small piece of any of your smaller (not tall) varieties of sedums (a variety pack! :) . i do have the lineo one.

o

I have potted Saturn, Kiwi Fern, and the duckfoot cuttings. I may have rooted cuttings of trailing plum I also have a dwarf Dwarf variegatied Kamtschaticium already potted. I have a small piece of the Chocolate Ball sedum and can get some of the Dwarf Kamtschaticium. I can wait on the Lycoris.

I was looking at your trade page and was wondering if I could get cuttings from your New Dawn.

o

Tametask

I would love a campanula panctuta if available.
Laura lorabell

o

Tametask

I would love a campanula panctuta if available.
Laura lorabell

o

Elsiefay I'd love some White Phlox

Please check my list and let me know what you'd like.

Laura McGowan

o

This is my special swap list. Let me know if I missed anyone or anything:

Judy: Chocolate Ball Sedum, Variegated Dwarf Kamtschaticium, Daylilies - 4, and Vita Fire Iris, I was only able to get small tubers of those other two Irises, but they will multiply

Kim: Yellow Red Hot Poker, Daylilies - 3, edging stones, and grape hyacinths

Laura: Daylilies - 4, Ice plants - 1 with purple blooms and 1 with yellow blooms

Elsifay: Yucca Bright Edge

Magick: Mickey Mouse EE

Tamelask: Coleus Saturn, Duckfoot, Trailing Plum, and Kiwi Fern, Dwarf Kamtchaticium, Var Dwarf Kamtchaticium
Chocolate Ball Sedum, and grape hyacinths

CasaLester: grape hyacinths

o

Here is a list of what I am bringing to the swap, not for Special Trades, just the general swap. I'm only posting this so that anyone interested will have time to google stuff before Saturday. Everything I'm bringing needs winter protection except some extra Cauliflower seedlings. My plant collection has swung over towards tropical fruits. I realize many don't have a greenhouse but most of what I grow can handle being a houseplant during the winter and some will even come back in the Spring if you bury them in a deep layer of dry leaves.

Avocado seedlings - I grew some for grafting work. these are my extras. They're big and burly. Most likely Haas.

Tamarillo seedlings - also known as Tree Tomato. Make a beautiful large leaved small tree. Likes cool weather but not frosts. Can get to 10 feet tall in a pot.

Tzimbalo seedlings - a relative of Pepino Melon. Make a nice potted plant for the patio but can't take frosts. Grow them like a tomato.

Guava seedling (pink flesh) - guavas do well in pots and will fruit after a few years. They can handle the first light frosts but anything harder will kill them.

Black Magic Elephant Ear - I have a clump that comes back every year in my yard. This was my back up plant in the greenhouse. They are not supposed to be reliably winter hardy.

Variegated Shell Ginger - these will come back if buried deep and we have a mild winter. They look best if dug up and potted and brought inside til Spring. Prefer bright shade and rich soil and lots of water in the Summer.

Cherimoya seedlings - the tropical relative of Pawpaw. Won't survive winter but like cool weather and shade.

Philodendron Monstera - also known as Swiss Cheese plant. This one is a cutting from a plant Rootdigger brought to a swap years ago. Typical house plant.

o

Laura, I potted up the white phlox for you.Do you have a snow on the mt.See ya there!

o

larabell, i did find another diggable manettia and one besides this morn so i set that aside, and you certainly can have the campanula as well.

countrygirl, i've tried to kill my new dawn (too big for the spot and toooo thorny), but it keeps coming back, lol. i'm sure i can get some cuttings. i'll take them that morning.

o

i also just found a bignonia (cross vine) that came up nicely, so if you'd like it, elsie, it's yours.

o

judy, i dug 2 iris for you. 1, i couldn't find the tag for and as i recall is either creamy white with blue fuzz or yellow with blue fuzz. The other one is cherry tart. The first image that comes up on a google images search is it. Hard to describe but beautiful!

here's the link:
http://www.iriswarehouse.com/iriswarehouse/cherry-tart-iris-iriswarehouse.html

o

Tamelash, Thank you very much. I would like to have the cross vine.Can I bring you a white phlox or a real pretty mum.

country girl,What am I suppose to bring you except the angel trumpets.

Judy,do you have a variegated leaf iris for me.

o

elsiefay, the reblooming yellow iris. I'm also bringing you those 2 or 3 gallons pots. I hope I don't forget them!

o

Gail, O.k now I remember.

o

Elsie - I can bring you a variegated leave iris. I have 3 small ones in a pot for you.

Tammy - The irises sound great. All of a sudden, I’m crazy about irises.

This is my Special Trade List. Please let me know if I have left someone/something off.

Countrygirl Gail - variegated iris, stargazer hydrangea, lady in red hydrangea, unnamed hosta, sedum (lime zinger?), ajuga reptan, bletilla & strawberry begonia.

casalester - archangel (lamiastrum galeobdolon) & arborvitae fern

Dana - Coffee Trader Iris

dogridge - orange double daylilly

Elsie - variegated iris

Hosta200 Mike - pitcher plant that we spoke of, at the spring swap

Jerri - What do you want for the Coral Bark Japanese Maple?

Laura M. - What am I bringing you?

lisianthuslover - bletilla

lorabell - ajuga reptan & bletilla

Plantbug - Texan Elephant Ear & ostrich fern (I’m gong to bring those bare root if that’s ok?)

Ralph - Lady in Red Hydrangea

Tammy - Mini Foxgloves

o

country girl, it appears i finally managed to kill new dawn. So, i can tell you the other roses i have and you can let me know if any of those tickles your fancy. I have red cascade, veilchenblau, fantin latour, aloha (new dawn is a parent of that rose), a shortish gallica type fragrant double red purple that spreads (pretty sure it is belle de crecy), work of art, pink pillar, and dortmund. The latter 3 are difficult to root - in fact, i pretty much listed them in order of ease of rooting (i can dig a section of belle).

Elsie, how about some seeds instead? I'd love some california poppies, moonflower, cosmos, foxglove and/or delphinium seeds if that's ok.

So, here's what i have for everyone (? mark means i haven't heard from you):

elsie: bignonia for seeds

lorabell: rhubarb and garlic for bignonia, manettia, campanula punctata

?casalester: powis castle for b&b salvia?

judy: mini foxglove for cherry tart and other mini iris

iamgcowa: pulmonaria for manettia

plant bug: spotted wintergreen for ? (i don't have anything from your wish list unfortunately)

lisianthus: spirea, deutzia, pawpaw for walking onion and water celery?

country girl: country girl mum, begonia cuttings, possible lycoris, possible rose cuttings for sedums and coleus

o

Tam,I have tons of seed.That will be great.I collected cosmos today.

Judy,thank you! You can take your pick,at the swap.ok?

o

Elsie, That sounds good.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Please don't forget to sign up on the food list. I'm planning on bringing plastic tablecloths for the food tables, enough paper products (plates, napkins, forks & spoons) for 100 people. A cooler with cold bottle water and diet sodas, enough for 40 people.

o

Elsiefay: I have the aloe vera for you. Thank you. Oh and by the way, thank you for the cosmos you started at Spring. It has decided to bloom like crazy. Colors are so pretty. My bees love them.

Tammy: I have the water celery and walking onions for you. Thank you. I am envious of Jeri's red cascade rose. It loves her dirt. I thought you already have walking onions? I saw some bamboo in my back woods so I am going to dig some up for you. I can wait on the iris cristata. No worries maybe next time.

Hollyclyff: Something else for the Lime Zinger Sedum? I am not proud of it.

Casalester: please confirm what you would like for the special trade so I can get it together for you. Thanks.

***I have available a lavender passionflower vine (1) and a red cypress vine (1). The cypress vine can be invasive.

o

Lisianthus- are you Cynthia? If so, i didn't make the connection. I have LOTS of aquilegia canadensis plants for you... I did have walking onions for years but they all died out (i think the bed got too shady). Ralph gave me some this spring but i put them all out at the community garden. I could get some from there but i figured if you had some i may as well get some now. Oh, and i really don't need any more boo since i have like 6 kinds now (i need to ck my list apparently - it plopped some old list in there at some point). and believe me, digging it is super hard work. But thank you! If you already have, someone else is bound to want some. I'll get you some iris cristata for the spring swap.

elsie, great news about the seeds! Thanks.

o

tamelask, I will just pass on the rose cuttings. I have over 100 roses and half of them are still in pots.

Jeri, can you please confirm the coral bark maple and let me know what you may want?

o

lisianthuslover: Let's go for your miniature Dianthus and 'John Creech' sedum.

tamelask: one pot of Artemisia 'Powis Castle' (the only one we have) is reserved for you. We are already getting 'Black and Blue' so would you have some ebony spleenwort instead?

o

Tammy, I just looked at the iris link. Oh my gosh, that's beautiful. I can't wait to have that in my collection. Thanks for sharing. Judy

o

CasaLester:

Do you have any Illicium 'fla sunshine' left? I can swap for hardy agave.

Carla

o

lisianthuslover that's ok. I'll still bring the ones you wanted though. The milkweed may not survive as it's been eaten up by milkweed bugs recently, plus I've not had the best of luck transplanting it anyway. I was planning to bring you a seed pod along with what I dig up.

o

All, I'm bringing several daylily seedlings for the general swap. I have not seen them bloom so they will be a surprise for whoever gets them! I started out with 60 seedlings and they have been all different colors, so I have the same expectation for these remaining ones. I am also bringing two that are red (similar Sammy Russell).
I don't want anything in exchange for these, just thinning out my daylily garden.

o

I am looking for a few additional plants and seed for the vegetable beds in the new Children's Garden at J C Raulston Arboretum. These new gardens are located near the center of the Annual Trial Gardens. The purpose of this garden is to help children in the J C Raulston Children's Program and their parents learn where their food comes from and to demonstrate to everyone how much of it can be grown throughout the cooler months. About 70% of the beds have been planted with cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, Bok Choi, Swiss Chard, radishes, lettuce, spinach, collards, sugar snap peas, kale, parsley, cilantro, arugula, turnips, garlic, carrots and onions. kohlrabi. We would like to have more onions, garlic, leeks and shallots and some additional lettuce plants, so if you have any extra perennial herbs or cold hardy vegetable plants or seeds that you think we might use please let me know by email asap and I will let you know if we can use them. Suggestions about any other winter hardy varieties that we might add, even if you do not have seeds or plants will also be considered.
See you at the swap.

o

Don't know about you guys, but fall has arrived in the Triangle-- my dogwoods are changing colors!!

CountryGirl, yes, I'll bring a coral bark Jap maple for you. I enjoyed some of your coleus in the past but was unable to get cuttings in time to over-winter. Just choose one or two for me :-)
Jdbheartease: Is oak leaf hydrangea a bush? I think I'd like that. I love hellebores (and they seem to like the spot below my cbjm), so maybe a hellebore foetidus.
If I can find a third sapling, Majick, it's yours, and I'd love a vitafire bearded iris.
There will be more cbjm's in the future... Mother Nature willing!!
-Jeri

o

Jeri, I picked out four of my favorite coleus. I'm sure you will like them as much as I have this year.

o

Jeri,
Yes, oak leaf hydgrangea is a bush. The 2 oak leaf hydrangeas that I was bringing are both looking sad. I can still bring you one and will bring a helleborus foetidus as well.

o

Tammy -- Would one of your big flying dragons be as big as the one I had at the solstice party last year? I'd like to have a replacement for this year's decoration. I'll take a couple of paw paw seedlings too. I'll bring some milkweed for you. You can have whatever you want and I'll put any extra out for the general swap.

o

carla- my 'big' flying dragons are still only about a foot, maybe a couple inches over that. They grow soooo slowly! You're more than welcome to one, though. You could also come & cut some off our big one to use for your solstice tree (i don't recall it, sorry).

casalester, yes, i'll happily bring you an ebony spleenwort. You know they're pretty small, even when full size, right? Cute little buggers.

judy, glad you're happy with the iris. It's stunning in person. Got it from a fellow trader yrs back.

o

tammy -- i'll come cut a branch then. that'll work. funny you don't remember because it had terrarium ornaments on it--including the one you made me. !!

o

tamelask- I am not Cynthia. My name is Kim. You gave me the alstromeria at the Spring swap. I have enjoyed the plants I picked up from the general swap from the spring.

Hollyclyff- Thank you. You are welcome to look at the general swap pile that I am bringing to pick something out instead of the Lime Zinger.

Does anyone have any ornamental oregano or lemon thyme? You can email me directly if you do please.

o

Lorabell: I have not forgotten about your special trades. :)

Magick: The wallflower cutting/rootings are not looking good today but I will look again tomorrow and maybe I can bring extra cuttings for you and you can pick something else to go with it? Also, are you still trading the gardenias? I am interested in it please.

This post was edited by lisianthuslover on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:20

o

ratgirl: unfortunately, all pots with Illicium 'fla sunshine' are already taken, more cuttings will be made for the Spring swap

tamelask: does ebony spleenwort form a dense clump? It could be good for the front of a fern section with its lower height. Do you have any other ferns that can be good groundcovers?

o

I still have yellow angel trumpets.Tomorrow is the day.So excited!

o

Tammy-
Do you have any extra paw-paws?

o

casalester, the lady fern makes a nice clump and is easy. spleenwort does make a clump but it's small- like maybe 8" when full grown, so i doubt you'll get much coverage. It is evergreen, though. your choice.

lisianthuslover, my bad. i just assumed b/c you'd seen jeri's rose... i do recall digging alstromeria this spring. It was a bit frantic, though at the swap. be nice to put a face to a name. i do have some ornamental oregano, can get you some.

Carla, yes, i remember now! Super cute. Sure, swing by afterwards and get a branch. but you can have a pot, too- i have several. :) by the time you move it might be to a whole 2'! LOL

yes, dogridge, i have plenty of pawpaws. Your name is on one! :)

o

tamelask: let's go for more substance and get the lady fern then

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here