Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

WANTED: Trade List for Raleigh Fall Swap

Ralph Whisnant
13 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the upcoming Raleigh Plant Swap in Garner on September 18th. Today I updated my Trade List, but will be adding more stuff as I search through my potted plants. Click on the link below to see the current list of plants that I will have available.

Here is a link that might be useful: RalphW Trade List

Comments (25)

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Hey Ralph - I need some more celandine poppy, I lost mine. And I would love some tinantia pringlei too. I have no idea what I'm going to have to trade right now though. I need to start working on my trade list.
    Dana

• tophersmith
    13 years ago

Ralph,

After my trip to my favorite Sanford nursery in July I have become a collecter of sun coleus as well, feel free to swing by my house for some clippings. Now that I have a bee hive I am looking for nectar producing flowers.

Chris

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dana, I have your two plants repotted and ready for you. I am looking forward to seeing your list - you always have some neat stuff.
    Topher, I would like to see what coleus you have, so I will be giving you a call. I have several unusual coleus color combinations, so you will have to stop by and see mine in case I have any that you do not have.
    Carole, I have two Asclepias currasavica (Bloodflower/Butterfly Weed)that came up in a 12-inch pot. Do you want them with or without Monarch babies?

• MagickMare
    13 years ago

Ralph,

Would love some variegated Shell Ginger, Lighting Strike Toad Lilies, or orange Butterfly Weed. I have some Colocasia Mojito that has done very well for me, if you're interested? Also have a few named Hostas.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Ralph, if no one else wants bfly weed with babies, i'd be happy to home them. I can use the currasavica in my fair garden, too. What could i get you in return? I have a somewhat abused angelonia looking for a good home. It's a medium pink purple and a compact size. It hasn't had enough sun and doesn't look really good right now, but with TLC it should bounce back. Also, did the cuban orgeano take for you? If not, i can bring more cuttings of it. I also have that odd plectranthus with the fragrant little leaves. I can also get you cuttings off of the jap persimmon tree if you'd like. It's one that you eat while crispy and is fairly dwarf. Mine's grafted, so i don't know if you could grow it own root or not. I also have access to several types of the ornamental sweet pots at home & the fair. I have the tricolored and caroline, can get the blackie, and possibly ace of spades. Erv's always trimming it at the fair and it's easy enough to scoop up some for you. I have a mess of marguerite rooting for me. Just let me know.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Ralph, I'm starting to work on my list and have a few things posted. I saw you listed bananas in your "want" list - do you already have musa basjoo? That's the only one I have left.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dana, I have a banana 'Queen of Siam', and it is about the only one I have room for.
    Magic, I have a Shell Ginger and Toad Lily 'Lightning Strike' for you for your spotted leaf ee 'Mojito'. I may also have a small Butterfly Weed if the Monarch caterpillars do not completely consume them.
    Tammy, I have committed the few A. currasavica that I have that are large enough to bloom. The others are seedlings that are popping up. All of the ones that I have in the ground are being decimated by multiple Monarch babies. I have one Cuban Oregano, but am interested in the Plect you mentioned with scented leaves. Do you know what it is called? Also, I also have three Sweet Potato vines (Marguerite, a brown one and a dark one), but would love a piece of 'Ace of Spades'. Re the Persimmon, I would like to try rooting one, but if it doesn't take, I have 4 or 5 native American Persimmon seedlings that I want to try grafting Japanese P.'s onto. In return I will find some other stuff for you.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

No problem, seedlings of the currasavica would be just fine. If you have too many monarch 'pillars, i'll take some off your hands, if you want- my patches have none. The milkweed bugs are the only thing i have. I know what it's like to have too many pillars of one sort or another. I did buy just a few currasavicas for the fair plot, so i'll be bringing those home afterwards. I love the fact that they bloom in winter for me in the cool greenhouse/porch.

I think i gave you a whole potted plant of that funky plect in the spring, but i'm happy to bring more. It roots easily. I don't know the name; in fact i got it at bb's a couple yrs back and have looked there again and they've never had it labeled. It has small, oak shaped leaves with fuzz on the surface, a very bracing scent and lavender flowers. Actually, the 'mona lavendar' you rooted for me fell victim to the drought/rain cycles when i put it in a deep container and didn't get it out after the rain. this summer has been so crazy for me. The impatiens unfortunately was molding when i opened the bag after i got it home and rotted shortly after wards. Too bad you lost yours. Someone's bound to have it again.

I'll look and see if i can find 'ace of spades'- it seems like i saw it somewhere. If i see Erv, i'll ask. You don't want any of the tricolored (pink/white/green)?
    I'll bring a few persimmon cuttings to the swap, then. It's 'ichi ji jiro' or something like that- i got it from edible landscaping and can find out the name for sure. I know it's bred from 'jiro' and has fruit very similar on a self pollinating, smaller tree. I also have a small 'jiro' i need to plant in back, so at some point you'll be able to get cuttings off of it. It's also non-astringent. I'll be very curious if you get them to take. Not sure the best method for them, but if we find out they do better with dormant cuttings i can certainly get you some in winter. If you have extra, i would love a native seedling to plant in back for pudding and the birds.

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

Started potting up stuff yesterday. Salvia koyame (forms a groundcover in shade), Impatiens omeiana (for Ralph), Texas star hibiscus, Chinese foxgolve (Rhemannia elata), beautyberry, giant white datura that seems perenial, salvia elegans (pineapple salvia, annual but will reseed itself), tiarella (as always), Buddleja lindleyana (trailing flowers like wisteria), Clerodendron trichotomum (peanutbutter tree), nikko hydrangea. What else? I'm looking for black-eye susans and agastaches (the wispy narrow-leaf kinds).

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Brenda - I have some black-eyed susans. What kind are you looking for? Mine are mixed with some solid yellow and some dark in the middle - like these.

Here is a link that might be useful: black eyed susans

• tamelask
    13 years ago

brenda, i have the rudbeckia triloba- what i call tall & small. Gets lots of small, 1" blooms at the same time on a tall well branched candelabra type structure. Very pretty!

• brenda_near_eno
    13 years ago

Many thanks. What can I dig for you, Tami and Dana? I have some more exotic things, but nothing cut-flowery as you describe, Tami. I have 2 pineapple salvias that reliably reseed eavery year, a prolific red and 'Coral Nymph'. I still have perenial 'San Carlos Festival' and a light blue version of Black&Blue. Nothing will root in this so I am not even going to try - just digging. Lots of thigs died back early in the heat and lack of rain. Your little cyclamen "pearls" are unfurling the tiniest little leaves, Tami.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Brenda I think I'd like to try some 'Coral Nymph' if you don't mind. Thanks.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm so glad they did well for you, Brenda! They are so cute when they are little. No worries about the cut flowers- i've just seen stuff like that enough times at swaps and i was hoping someone might have some. I have a broad definition of cut flowers, anyhow, lol- tropicals would work. The problem is I have a hole in my garden in the 3-4' tall spot and i don't know what i can use there. No veggies will work and get tall enough at this stage (unless someone had potted peppers or toms that tall and in good shape, but then why would they give them away? :) so it pretty much has to be flowers. I actually don't have pineapple sage anymore- lost it a few yrs back. So maybe that or the big, perenn datura for my home garden.

• tophersmith
    13 years ago

OK I will be bringing a pot of 4 queen of the night epiphyllum oxypetalum. I cannot remmber who has the red one of these but I would be interested. I will also be bringing a 1 year old butterfly bush if I can dig it in time. Ralph, still need to know when you are swinging by to pick up the sun coleus clippings

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I don't want anything. I have way too much already but I do plan on bringing: a few seedling bananas (the Musa velutina seeds tophersmith brought a year or so ago), they are supposed to be hardy but I wouldn't risk it on their first year and I believe everyone protects them with cages filled with dry leaves to get them through the winter. These are 2010 sprouts, maybe a foot or so tall in like 2 gallon pots. I also have a bunch of the side shoots of Alocasia 'Portadora'. They are usually winter hardy but plenty of people lost theirs this last winter. My big mama died but sent out a million pups. Various sizes, well rooted. I wouldn't risk them outdoors this winter but hey! they're free. I have a few seedling Lychee trees. These are totally tropical so they must stay potted and brought inside each winter but they make pretty trees; they may actually set fruit in like 15 years. I have a few hardy, native, Lobelia cardinalis - Cardinal Flower - they don't seem ready to bloom this year but they are big enough and should bloom next year. Same thing with Penstemon 'Husker Red'.

I will be bringing some rooted shoots of Okinawa Purple Sweet Potato. Everyone says these are super tropical and tender but they act like regular sweet potatoes to me. I plan on bringing more of them to next springs swap (if I can keep them alive all winter indoors) but I only have so much space. So if you want to grow them and have a way to keep them warn over the winter take one now just to be safe. Easy to root and share with friends. (One of them is for Judy unless she wants to wait til next spring)

Topher - I have a lavender for you but I don't remember which one it is. I grew it from seed and lost the labels on this group. They all grew fast and are pretty big for a first year seedling but so far none of them has bloomed. I tried to dig up a blue fescue for you but it died. I usually grow them from seed and they are very easy. I will be sowing more of them this winter so I will have some next spring.

I am probably the person with the red epiphyllum you're talking about. Rootdigger brought some red and some white cuttings to a swap a million years ago. I got one of each. The red one grew into a normal sized plant and every year it blooms its head off (sometimes twice or three times each year, often with 18 flowers at one time). I have rooted some and given them back to Rooty since it seems to bloom more than the original but I don't have any rooted now. I will eventually. All of my epi's struggled in this years heat, they all look like cr@p.

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi, I didn't preswap anything this go round, but I would like to get a contact number, just in case if we get lost or delayed in traffic. For now, I'm bring white siberian iris, black eyed susans & orange trumpet vine. Looking forward to a great swap!

I'm looking for a hydrangea climbing vine, if anyone has one.

Thanks, Judy

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Judy - I'll send you my cell phone number and I promise to keep it on and in my pocket the day of the swap.

John

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Thanks John.

Deborah has given me her number as well. With the detailed direction and numbers. We should get there.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

Ralph, I don't think I'm going to have anything that you would want to trade for so you can just put those things in the general swap and I'll try to pick them up there. This morning was the first time I've had a chance to really do much digging and there's just nothing left. It's all dried up and crunchy and the ground is so hard I wore myself out just digging up what I could get. So far I've only got Brenda's black-eyed susans plus a couple of extra, a pineapple lily, a couple of amsonia hubrichtii and a bunch of daylily seedlings. I've got the sprinkler going so I can try again tomorrow, but I still don't think I'm going to have anything very interesting to bring.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I'm not bringing much either. It's been too hot and i've been too busy. I have a few things i rooted this summer i'm bringing but it won't be many flats like normal. I'm mostly coming to see y'all!

• jbarutis
    13 years ago

I've got a sambac jasime if anyone is interested in cuttings. It's lovely and very aromatic (has spoiled me for all other scented flowers). On Tamelask's advice, I will list my shrubs to see if anyone is interested in fresh cuttings. I could also just wait and bring rooted cuttings in the spring.
    -Otto luyken laurel
    -Little Richard abelia
    -Goldmound spirea (chartreuse in color with pink flowers)
    -Lorapetalum (ruby maybe)
    -Carissa holly

Also I've got a white crepe myrtle tree about 4' tall I will dig up if anyone is interested. And I will bring seeds of Malabar spinach.

I would post pictures here if I could figure out how....

Jeri

• Judy Brown
    13 years ago

Hi Jeri, Please bring some of your sambac jasimine cuttings to the swap. I think folks would be interested in those. I know I am.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

The weather has really ruined gardening this year - but I don't want it to affect swap participation. Everyone is encouraged to show up whether all they have are dry sticks or nothing at all. It's about getting together and sharing even if all we have is advice this go around.

I figure the swap will have two types of people at it this fall; the ones that are so sick of watering potted plants that they load everything up and bring it; and the ones that only have a few survivors left to share and they are so embarrassed about their condition that they want to sneak them in at the last minute.

I'm a mixture of the two. I plan on showing-no-mercy this winter with what I protect and what I sacrifice to the compost gods - but for now, the only plants I have that are worth looking at are the ones in pots that get watered every day.

• Hollyclyff
    13 years ago

I'm from the second group John. My offerings this time are so sad. But like you and Tammy both said - I'm coming for the fun of getting together with everyone. Whatever I bring though, you can be sure it is TOUGH! These plants can handle cold, heat, wet, drought - whatever is thrown at them. I'm afraid I may be more tempted with bringing things home that have to be overwintered inside this year though. I sold my car and the truck won't fit in the garage, so I have the space now.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm