Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Posted by karen__w z7 Durham, NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 16, 06 at 20:09

(Continued from WANTED: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap)

Krystol, my white beautyberry is C. americana if you want to try both species. I think I have enough seedlings out there to bring you one, but I'll dig them all this weekend to be sure. I also have some liriope, not a lot but 'some', if you want that, and could cut some vinca stems to bring unrooted to the swap. I've been cutting and composting it the past couple of weeks but can hold off on further haircuts until Sept. I'd love a cutting of Camellia 'Kanjiro', even if it's not rooted by the swap.

Liz, I'll post my salvia cuttings this weekend, but just off the top of my head, I've started cuttings from 'Pat Vlasto' and also of a hot pink seedling that has been relatively compact in my garden. One of those might fit the bill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Thanks Karen, I will take the liriope, vinca a nd white beautyberry. I will bring you a cutting of the camelia, I just potted some up today. Hopefully they will start to root, but I will bring a fresh cutting also in case you have better luck with starting plants.

o

Thanks Karen, there's nothing better than hot pink!
Krystol, I'll bring you some creeping thyme and nepeta which I think will be low enough for you. I also have japanese iris which I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference from siberian iris. It's Joy Peters - here's a link to a photo but it doesn't do it justice. The lavender color is stronger than the photo. Let me know if you'd like some. http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/japanese/joypeters.jpg

I'd love a native redbud and I'm intrigued by the native viburnum. How large does it get?
Liz

o

OK Krystol, I will bring the white C. japonica for you then.

o

Liz, I would love the creeping thyme, nepeta and iris. I will bring a redbud to you. The viburnum is V. dentatum, I believe. Here is a link for more info. My plants are about 18-30 inches tall right now. Let me know if you would like one, or more.

Here is a link that might be useful: V. dentatum

o

Krystol,
I've potted up the thyme, nepeta and iris. I'd definitely like the viburnum along with the redbud.
Liz

o

Liz, I'll pot them up for you. Thanks!

o

Sorry, I've been out of town for a while. Raven, I can bring black cohosh for you for either epimedium or Japanese iris. I will bring you bloodroot if there's any still visible to dig. They like to disappear in the heat till spring. I'll let you know. Anybody else I owe a reply to?

o

ditto. sorry for the long absence and my lack of answering questions posted for me. been outta town and was too busy before that w/ work & prep to deal with keeping up with you crazy folks! :)

well, the roses i rooted before vaca look to be a bust except maybe red cascade (still rooting, but still green, unlike the rest). i can bring fresh material for those of you who want to try, though. and i'll be happy to root some this winter when my slate's not quite so overflowing. i've had good luck doing that before. the coleus i rooted have done well, and i have some purply red alternifolia, too. let me know if you're interested, otherwise those can be for the general swap. i have a bunch of an oldfashioned, but uncommon annual known as blue buttons. it's an annual, but reseeds. john rooted a ton last fall and kept it going in his coolhouse last winter. if anyone would like a plant to get it going, let me know. the leaves are pleated and serrated(nice foliage), and the flowers look a bit like an ageratum, but bigger, and not in clusters. starts blooming in august through frost. plants get 2' tall & around.
because of work, mom's wedding stuff & vaca, i'm gonna go light on pretrades and stuff for the general swap this go-round. i don't know that i'll get these posted to my page this time. so, here's what i have jotted down so far:

dana: muhly grass. what would you like? the mulberry looks like it rooted, but the soil washed away and the roots dried up. it's still alive from the base, so i'll try again for spring (or winter). happy to bring more branches if you want to try again or need food.

brenda: i have lots of rudbeckia triloba. how much would you like? i'd love lovechild & will try overwintering a zombie.

karen- if you get any acslepias variegata seed, i would love some. have you down for salvia puberolum for veilchenblau cuttings. btw, all the bulbifer seedlings have sprouted. they are very cute.

deb- i ck'd, and yes, we are on for monstera (i goofed- am terrible at spelling), and the perennial ageratum. what would you like in trade?

ais: mars & tasmanian violet for purple aster. do you want anything else?

jean- sorry, i dunno why i thought you were in garner. no big deal. i'll be happy to bring veilchenblau cuttings for you. i'd love the chinese lanterns, stachs monieri, and ostrich fern. but you need to let me know what else i can bring for you!

alicia: i have seed from hibiscus coccinea, and may even have a little guy- i'll have to look. the seed would be last yr's, but i've had no problems with older seed of it. i'd love a cassia if the offer's still open. i think it'd look great in the plot. john & i were talking about those just last week.

raven- i have scads of little coneflowers if you'd like some more. they are always needing dug up. i also have water myosotis- it would need a moist spot. i bring hellebore orientalis babies come spring each yr, so if you don't get enough now, plan to grab some then. i'd love an indigofera and/or an epimedium rubrum if you still have it.

krystol- i have more vinca than i know what to do with! about half is promised for john, but that leaves alot to get rid of. maybe after the fair when things have calmed for me you can come get all you want? i live in garner. i'd like an akebia.

does anyone know if ralph is coming? i had planned to bring him orange cosmos in the spring and cypress vine, and neither were up. i can bring seeds of both if he's coming.

whew! i THINK that's all. please let me know if i forgot something or someone. thanks, tam

o

Ok, put clothes pins on all the specials today. Who besides Jean and Deb wanted Salvia 'Lipstick', cuz I know that third pot was for someone, but can't remeber who? I have one Kirengoshoma looking for a special trade still. All the cuttings rooted except Dicliptera and Climbing Hydrangea - I have not given up on them yet, but to be safe, Deb and Dana should please let me know a suitable substitute in case.

o

Brenda,

You are I are already trading tapioca for your 'love child'. What can I offer you for your Kirengoshoma? I have all sorts of canna, some fairly hard to find. Look at my member page and see if there is anything there you'd like.

Sally

o

Tam, Thanks for the offer on the vinca, I'll be glad to relieve you of some of it. I will bring an akebia vine for you.

o

Hey Brenda - we weren't trading dicliptera or climbing hydrangea, so no need for a substitute for me.

Tammy, I already owe you the muhly grass, so we're good on that one. The mulberry you brought me in the spring is still doing great.

Dana

o

Dana, I thought we were Black Cohosh,Dicliptera resupinata,Phlomis russelliana for Salvia guaranitica 'Argentina Skies', phlox subulata 'Emerald Blue'and hydrangea arborescens - please set me right. Sally, I have us down for Salvia 'Lovechild' and Tiarella 'Iron Cross' for tapioca. I'll put the kirengoshoma aside for you - I collect variegated leaf cannas, or I'd love a crinum if you have spare. Potted up black cohosh for Alicia, Dana, and Raven - and managed to find one lonely bloodroot to put in same Raven's cohosh pot. The cohosh is starting to yellow as it goes dormant, but the roots are large and should make a good stand come spring.

o

Brenda, do you have canna Stuttgart? I have some I can give you. I also have Intrigue available. If you have those already, I will to check on the crinum! ;-)

Thanks!

Sally

o

Sally, I have Stuttgardt, but not Intrigue - I'd love it - thanks!

o

i have 2 pots of dicliptera rooting, if someone wants them. i think they will root ok- they still are green.

dana, glad to hear one of the mulberries did well. i still want to get this one to you if you want it by next spring- it's a good size for transplant. i know from the time we raised the worms they eat an astounding amount!

krystol, you can happily have the vinca- my only caveat is you have to dig it(i'll probably help, no worries- i just don't wann deal with it for the swap). it really isn't too bad after a good rain. it's on a wooded slope. as i said before, it would probably be a lot better for me after mid october if it's ok with you to wait. the skeeters should be less pesky then, too- a real bonus! you could probably have enough to fill a 15'x 15' area thickly- thin it'll go much further. thanks, tam

o

Hey I'm still here and plan to be at the swap. I just finished a month long temporary job in Laurinburg that required me to be there 7 days a week. I drove back and forth most days, so was able to get home in time to water some and do whatever else was required to keep the garden and potted plants alive, but not much else, plant-wise. I have been able to root some Cuban Oregano which I promised for the spring swap but it never started growing until hot weather. I also have several Mexican butterfly weed seedlings (2 - 3 feet tall and blooming) that I can pot up. I should be able to provide at least one Monarch butterfly caterpillar per plant if anyone is interested. The bronze (or copper) fennel plant that I got at our swap in spring of '05 survived last winter is 6 feet tall and at least 8 feet around. It has several foot tall seedling babies which I can pot up for anyone interested. There are more different kinds of bees and wasps on this huge fennel than I have ever seen, and it has been in bloom all summer. I will update my swap list this weekend, but most plants listed for the Spring swap are still available.

o

ralph- do you want me to bring small cypress vine (ipo quamoclit) and orange (or pink) cosmos plants like i'd planned in the spring or would you like some seed for next yr? i would love a butterfly weed- and as many monarch pillars as you can/will spare. i've been trying to get monarchs established in my yard for yrs. i have a pretty good patch of tuberosum, and am planting as many other asclepias as i can but they have yet to come. even eggs would be great. let me know what i can bring for you in return, please. thanks! tam

o

Great, Brenda, Intrigue it is!

Ralph, I would love a bronze fennel...what can I bring for you?

Sally

o

Hi Tammy, I would like one of your pots of (probably rooted) dicliptera. Does it survive the winter for you (heavily mulched?) or do you have to bring it inside?

Ralph, I would like a Mexican butterfly weed (w/ a Monarch butterfly caterpillar or 2), a fennel baby, and . I will bring you viburnum and gingers.

o

Oh, duh - Brenda you are absolutely right. When you said dicliptera, I was thinking suberecta which I already have. I completely forgot you had a different one that I wanted. Sorry.
Dana

o

Tam- Thanks, I'd be happy to dig later this fall.

Ralph- I'd love a fennel plant. Anything you'd like to swap? My trade list is on the first Special trades FAll post near the end.

Krystol

o

Ralph, So glad you're going. Are you going to Avent's talk at Raulson next month? So glad I got Hinkley's autograph at Raulston talk, now that Heronswood is officially defunct. So sad. What can I bring you? Are you still looking for agastaches, cuz I have several.

o

I have been waiting to see how my rooting was going before posting again, but I think I can give a good update.

The 'taube' hydrangeas are giving me a hard time but I think I will have at least the two promised out and if they refuse to root I have some layered branches I can dig out.
'Blue Wave' is rooting fine and I should even have a couple of extras for the general swap.
lamium 'petite point' appears to be rooting well.
Spigelia pooped out. I only had a couple of growing tips to try with, but I did stick a few flowered branches in (seedheads removed). I don't hold out much hope for them, but they are still green. Sorry Brenda, is there something else I can bring you?
Tammy, I'd also like an alternifolia (that's butterfly bush, right?)
Alicia, the phlox didn't root, but I can divide it easily. I'm not sure I said what kind it is. I think it's stolonifera. It's a low growing kind, but has bigger rounded leaves than the needle-like kind called thrift. It has pink flowers in late spring. The 'Nikko Blue' hydrangea seems to have rooted well.

o

aisgecko-I would like some of your lamium petite point
My trade list is on the first post near the bottom.

Krystol

o

Ais, a division of the phlox would be great.

o

ais, no alternifolia isn't butterfly bush. it's a not so hardy plant that is an awesome filler plant ( it does ok in a cool basement to overwinter). i'll set one aside for you & if you change your mind, so be it ( i think you're thinking of acslepias, and i can bring seeds if you want). in buddlieas i do have black knight, a medium bright purple and nikko blue butterfly bushes that i can bring cuttings of if you'd like. buddleia roots very easily. i wouldn't mind some lamium if you have any more. if not, no big deal.

ralph, i found 3 monarchs on my plants today!! yippee.

jean, the dicliptera is 'suberecta', and survives with no extra work from me. the clump gets a little bigger each yr. i love the soft grey foliage.

o

Dogridge, I will reserve a lamium for you. If you have any more thyme I'll take that. Otherwise I'll take some mint.

Tammy, do you have anymore dicliptera? If so I'd like one of those. I can't figure out what alternifolia is by googling, but if it's not hardy I'll probably kill it. I will start some more lamium rooting for you if you'll bring me a couple of cuttings of the blue and/or purple butterfly bush. I doubt they'll be rooted much (if at all) by the swap but at least they'll get a little start. -Ais.

o

Maybe you guys are talking about Alternathera - Joseph's Coat for the smaller types and Purple Prince I believe for the the taller types.

I plan on bringing some Dicliptera suberecta. I have a few rooted that are spoken for but I intend to bring a bunch of cuttings for others to take home and root (It is known as easy to root).

The swap is only two weeks away!!! I have a bunch of cuttings rooted and plenty of large stuff that just needs to get out of my yard, and I intend to bring buckets of easy to root stuff that won't root between now and then (I only have so much space for propagation).

o

Wow, I've got to check the site more often - I missed so much in a week!

Brenda, I was the other person who wanted the salvia lipstick if you still have it. I'm looking forward to the black cohosh and the bloodroot that you mananged to find in this heat! I've got a 12" pot filled with Japanese Iris and will bring the epimedium as well. Is that enough?

Tamelask, I'll dig epimedium for you and hopefully will have indigofera for you as well. It's been hard getting them to take but I have a few pots that seem to be surviving. I'll dig up more this weekend to have as back-ups. I can definitely use the coneflower and would love to try the myosotis. I tested a small plant in a moist spot this year and it's doing o.k. I'd love to add to it.

O.K. I think I'm caught up!
Liz

o

Tammy, I do have you down for those two plants (monstera and perennial ageratum). Unless you have something with white variegation or blooms that will grow fast (like overnight, lol) don't worry about anything in exchange. You're welcome to them.

o

deb, i can't think of anything i have that would be hardy that would be variegated & grow fast, but if anyone has bishops weed (i think), it's supposed to take over the world. it looks kinda like a variegated astilbe or aruncus. i do have basket grass, but i doubt it's hardy. let me know if you want some. it grows very fast and is a great filler plant. my coleus are crowding it out.

oh liz, thank you! i was out there deadheading some today, and the coneflowers look wretched. but they should do ok if we get some rain. if not, i'll watre those spots good and then dig them. i think all the bitty babies died in the drought, but i have plenty of mediums sized ones. they may be ratty now, but they should look great come spring.

john- you're absolutely right- it's alternathera. i was doing another butcher job with the latin. said it wrong the first time & it gets stuck in my pea brain like that. sheesh. the one i have is the larger leaf, slightly more upright, and is a gorgeous shade of red purple. i'm bringing them anyhow, so you can decide then, ais. i'll be happy to take some cuttings of the butterfly bush the morning of so they are fresh. i've had them root midwinter from trimmings i rammed in the ground, so i doubt you'll have any trouble at all. i'll set aside the second dicliptera for you.

actually, i'll probably look around and see what i have that i can take cuttings of and do what john's doing & bring a bucket full. can't believe it's only 2 weeks. tam

o

Tam,
Don't worry about the state of the coneflowers - you can just bring roots and I'll gladly plant them. I've been so disappointed in the burnt look to my plants that I may tape photographs of what they "should" look like on the pots!
Liz

o

Ais- Thanks, I'll pot up a thyme for you.

o

Deb., I am bringing you a small piece of pinecone ginger. It's just a little single piece because it's new to me this year, so I won't expect anything for it. I should have more to share next year assuming it overwinters well. -Ais.

o

I think I've been through all the postings, but please let me know if I've forgotten anything or have anything wrong. This is what I've compiled for special trades:

Brenda: Amorphophallus konjac, Vernonia glauca, Salvia El Cielo Blue, Salvia sinoalensis for Kirengoshoma, variegated hypericum, Calamintha grandiflora, calycanthus

Triangle John: Iris cristata, Carex siderostricta variegata, red salvia for Amarcrinum, Tigridia, cistus

Tammy: Salvia puberala for Veilchenblau (the asclepias variegata here didnt set seed either)

Jean: Cypella coelestis, Salvia Hot Lips, Salvia Red Velvet for Azalea Summer Lyric

Deb/Rootdigger: Alocasia jeoquinii lineatum, Colocasia affinis jenningsii, and cypella seed for Brug Frosty Pink and Monstera

Sally: Aspidistra linearifolia Leopard for hardy tapioca

Alicia: Vernonia glauca, white Callicarpa americana, Cypella coelestis, blue/purple salvias (S. mexicana Tula, S. Anthony Waterer, S. El Cielo Blue) for Iris Dusky Challenger, Sabatia, celandine poppy, Virginia bluebell, Verbena Blue Princess

Ais: Salvia Hot Lips for Curcuma Summer Snow

Liz/Raven: Hellebore seedlings (H. foetidus, H. x orientalis), purple coneflower, hot pink Salvia seedling for Aster Snowflurry, Epimedium Rubrum, and Chrysanthemum White Bomb

Yotedog: white Callicarpa americana

Krystol: white Callicarpa americana, liriope, vinca cuttings for camellia Kanjiro

Nancedar: ??? for Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire', iris (Nancy, what can I bring you?)

Marsha in Chapel Hill: if youre coming this fall, I have your Indigofera amblyantha potted up

I've got other stuff potted up or rooting but won't have time to make a list until next month.

o

Karen, that sounds right for me. Ais, anything else will do for our trade - perhaps a bluewave? My trades are listed on trade page, so please shout out if I got anything wrong.

o

To all that hoped for Cistus, it appears to have failed. I won't give up on the cuttings til the final hour but as of this morning they look pretty dead.

Everything else looks perky and should be well rooted by swap time.

I have a long list of plants that are coming to the swap. I really wanna clean house before winter. Plenty of things I grew to sell at the flea market didn't sell well so they are all coming and a few odds and ends that I have plenty of are coming.

Now that I know certain tender tropicals are actually easy to root I will probably root a ton of cuttings and overwinter them in my hoop house and bring them to the spring swap 2007 rather than force anyone to overwinter them this year. So if you see something you want from my offerings just be patient - there will be more to share next spring.

I'm bringing:
Dahlias - Sweetheart, Reddy, Apricot Sorbet
Cannas - mixed pastel colors, short style, green leaves
Brugmansias - Cream, White, Orange and possibly Frosty Pink
Tigridia (Mexican Shell Flower) - mixed colors, very showy
Native Passion vines (invasive) - seed taken from a plant with an unusually high number of flowers and lots of fruit ripe at the same time.
Blue Ginger - I only rooted a few as a test, I'll have more next spring
Princess Flower - same as above
Alocasia 'Frydeck' - I've only got a few, not hardy at all
Gardenia - a showy variegated form, not many flowers but the leaves are too pretty to pass up
Abelmoschus - the hibiscus looking one, stays small and blooms even in the shade, not hardy

o

Dana, it seems clear that although my weird dicliptera resupinata has rooted for me before, it's not going to root now. What can I bring you instead?

o

Brenda - do you have anymore sassafras around?
Dana

o

Ais, don't worry about the pinecone ginger till spring. That will work better for me anyway. Also wanted to let you know that Emperor is blooming for me now. It has about 4 blooms and they're taller and blooming out nicer this year than what I've seen on it before. It'll bloom probably into October now that it has started.

Brenda, ditto on the climbing hydrangea. Not a problem if it doesn't root, no sub needed.

o

Dana - Sassafras is notoriously difficult to transplant. I have a bunch of seeds planted in a pot so hopefully by next springs swap I will have tiny seedlings available. If you want some seeds I can try to bribe some off of my neighbor which is where the large female tree is.

o

John I would be interested in sassafras seeds if you can get a hold of any.

o

Deb, I already potted up the pinecone ginger so I'll bring it anyways and if you don't want it then it can go to the general swap. I'm sure I can bring more in Spring if you want to wait with all that you have going on.

Brenda, I'll save you a 'Blue wave'. Do you want some pink phlox (stolonifera?). It seems to do well with a little shade. I would love some agastaches if you have any more unclaimed. I only have blue ensign and it has done so well I want more.

Does anyone have more white beautyberry ?

I was trying to hold myself back from too many special trades, but I get greedy when I see what other people are getting. It's been so dry I was scared I wouldn't have anything to trade, but thankfully the rain is perking stuff up. I know I will have some Salvia Koyame (yellow) and some
Kniphofia. If anyone wants acanthus (other than Jean) or solid green leopard plant then speak up. I will bring them if anyone wants them but probably won't unless requested. -Ais.

o

Ais, I potted up an extra white Callicarpa americana seedling and will put your name on it. I'd love solid green leopard plant if you can bring it, but don't go to too much trouble about it.

o

I potted up Alicia's sassafras a month ago and it seems fine. Can't promise any more sassafras until the rain stops and I have a look around. I'll let you know, Dana. I'll pot up more if I find more of right size - small. I'll also look for an agastache seedling and let you know, Ais. I'm just so thankful for the rain - and after visiting New Orleans and Mississippi coast this month, thankful the Ernesto was not a biggie. (Also thankful that the boy who graduated Orange High in 2005 with my son did not hurt any students badly.)

o

ais, i'm embarrassed to admit my piece of the acanthus keeled on me. i think it put in too woodsy of an area and it couldn't compete with tree roots, or maybe it was voles. i watered it, but it disappeared about 2 mos ago. i'd love to try to again if you don't mind. anything else i can bring you? i can bring some agastache seedlings, i think, unless i weeded them all (pretty sure i didn't). they are the plain jane purple blue ones.

alicia, i looked but i don't have any seedlings of hib coccineus. i do have seed, and i'll bring it. the first few true leaves will look quite different, so don't assume the seed's wrong.

raven, thanks for being understanding about ugly coneflowers. they should take off great come spring. my whole garden looks pretty rough now because i only water when something is dying , just planted this yr or in a new area. have to be judicious about that well water. most of the things make it, they just look worse for the wear.

o

I have been potting up Asclepias curassavica (S. American butterfly weed) for the Raleigh swap next weekend, and as promised, have also been collecting Monarch butterfly caterpillars for anyone who wants to try raising one to the butterfly stage. After starting this as a lark, I got serious and did a search on the GW Butterfly Forum. There is a wealth of good information there on Monarch butterflies and their caterpillars. One justification for collecting these caterpillars is that most of them get eaten by bees and other predators before adulthood, and my garden is loaded with all sorts of bees and wasps. (By the way, today, I discovered, finally, small swallowtail caterpillars on the huge bronze fennel plant.) Anyway, if after reading the attached link, you are interested in raising a Monarch, let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web Forum re Raising Butterflies from Caterpillars

o

Raven, I am grateful for the white beautyberry! Will pot up a leopard plant (after the weekends' storm).

Brenda, thanks but no biggie on the agastache if you don't find any. And on the HS shooting note... terrifying. My son just started kindergarten. Thats scary enough, but in a way different way!

Tammy, don't be surprised if that acanthus comes back next spring from the roots, but I will bring more. I think it can take drought, but maybe not with tree roots competing too. If you have any agastache seedlings I will take them but don't stress if you don't have them.

I'm going to out of town this weekend and am stressed about my little rooted cuttings. I think I have them protected but I'll just have to see... -Ais.

o

Tami thanks, but I don't need Hibiscus coccineus seed, I already have more H. coccineus than I know what to do with. :)

o

I would take some H. coccineus seed or seedlings. My clump kinda petered out this year.

o

ok, shari, i'll bring the coccineus seeds for you. not sure where/why i thought you wanted them, alicia. sorry.

ais, i have lots of agastache seedlings. saw them this morn, pert after all the rain. i hope you're right about the acanthus. i will try the other in a more cultivated spot so it has less competition.

ralph, i will be happy to rear as many monarchs as you can spare. i started raising them when i was a kid, and have been in serious withdrawal for many a yr down here. we do black swallowtails, but they aren't the same. i was so excited to find 3 on my butterfly weed a week or so ago. the last is now making its chrysalis. :) do you have good luck with the currasavica coming back from the roots or do you start seed each yr? i've tried it quite a few times, and have yet to get it to come back, but will keep trying. do you want either seed or plants of the cypress vine and orange cosmos i was to bring you in the spring? or would you rather have something else?

yeah for the rain! now i can dig the stuff for folks this weekend.
tam

o

Ralph - I would like a butterfly weed and larvae if you have enough to go around. I have some A. curassavica in my plot out at the fairgrounds that I intend to dig up and overwinter in the hoopey house. So I need at least one plant to feed it with until Nov. (Tam - I have had the roots survive winter but never sprout strong enough to make it through the second year.)

Before I moved here I did a big road trip thru Mexico and spent a day in Michoacan state on an indian reservation in the mountains that is one of the wintering spots for Monarchs. Walking around very tall trees virtually dripping with millions of resting butterflies was one of the highlights of my entire life, and hearing the sound of all those wings beating when the sunshine hit them... I could go on and on. I would love to establish Monarchs in my yard and imagine them flying all the way back to that mountain top.

o

Tammy I was looking for other hibiscus to go with my coccineus, that's where the confusion came from.

I have a Cassia alata for you, only it's not very big, about a 1' high, because it was in a pot this summer. However, if planted out it may grow fast and do something in time for the fair -- a couple of the others I did plant out took off.

o

alicia, that's just fine. i can find a spot for it in the plot. thanks!

ais & jean- the dicliptera haven't rooted, but they still look good. i can bring some fresh cuttings for you to stick,' too.

john- good to know about currasavica. i thought i was doing something wrong. i really wish it were perennial- i like its flowers better than tubersosum, but i guess i'll just start it each yr. about the only reason i would like to go to mexico is to see the monarch forest. i can't even imagine. i saw them one time in PA when i was a kid- a whole flock or whatever, resting while migrating. amazing.

got everything dug & labelled for the swap. in addition to the stuff mentioned prior i dug some butterfly pea and lygopodium- japanese climbing fern. if anyone wants dibs, holler. lots of sun coleus & the taller, dark version of the alternathera. tam

o

Does anyone have pine cones out in their yard they can share? I'm more than happy to trade you something for them. Big, small or in between is fine. I'm going to use them in center piece baskets for the wedding/reception.

o

Debra I'll try to bring you some pinecones. Not in my yard but know a place I've gotten some big pretty ones before.

o

To all who wanted Eden climbing rose, I haven't had much luck rooting them. i am happy to bring fresh cuttings or something else from my list. Sorry :-(

The kanjiro camelia seem to be ok. I am trying both cuttings and air layering, so if the cuttings don't survive, I can get you an air rooted plant this spring.

o

Kystol,
I'd be interested in the camelia instead.

o

Sharil, THANKS!! Is there something besides the pink evening primrose I already have you down for that you'd like?

o

Ais, that was me (Karen) that was interested in trading white beautyberry for leopard plant.

o

Deb,pink e.primrose is fine for the pine cones.

Okay y'all what are we gonna eat? If we go w/sandwiches I'll follow suit but if not I'll bring some chicken. See Shannon's thread here on the exchange page.

o

Alicia- I'll put you down for a camelia.

o

John - if you get some sassafras seeds, I'll try some or if you have seedlings later. No big deal if you can't find one Brenda. It's just something I wouldn't mind having. I had one at the edge of the woods, but DH cut it down in one of his clearing sprees. I had hoped I might see seedlings pop up around where it was, but no such luck. I still have so much to do this week to get ready for the swap and I woke up this morning with a sore throat - ugh. My salvias have not rooted, but I'm sure I can get at least a couple of offshoots dug for those already promised. I have several dicliptera suberectas and a couple of abutilons rooted and Deb's viburnum. I think there are at least a couple other viburnums rooted too. I just don't see roots in the bottom of the pots yet.
Dana

o

Some of the extra salvias I started have been slow to root, esp 'Pat Vlasto'. If anyone's interested in babying them over the winter I'll go ahead and bring them for the general swap. Otherwise I'll try to keep them 'til spring. I've also got a bunch of extra Alstroemeria psitticina from where I'm digging today. I potted up a few dormant/just emerging tubers for the general swap but could bring a lot of loose clumps if anybody wants it.

o

OK, I think I'm set. Please review my list below and correct me if you see something amiss. Ais, I found a 'Honeybee Blue' agastache - let me know if you already have that one. Dana, your sassafras is only 8" tall, but I think I got all the roots. Deb, how about 'Silver King' Euonymus as the substitute? It is green and white, and I have some green/white ivy in same pot - hard freeze will kill ivy, so it won't go invasive on you. Silver King is hardy, but deer love it.

Special Trades put aside for the 9/9/06 Raleigh Swap:
For Sally (keithrnjd):Salvia 'Lovechild', Kirengoshoma, and Tiarella 'Iron Cross' (for tapioca and canna 'Intrigue')
For Nancy: Kirengoshoma, baby redbud, and Leonotis (for Iris)
For Tammy Tamelask: Salvia 'Love Child' and Impatiens zombensis (for Rudbeckia triloba)
For Dana Hollyclyff:Black Cohosh,Sassafras albidum,Phlomis russelliana (for Salvia guaranitica 'Argentina Skies', phlox subulata 'Emerald Blue'and hydrangea arborescens )
For Raven: black cohosh, Salvia 'Lipstick', and bloodroot (for epimedium rubrum and Japanese iris)
For Aislin: Salvia 'Love Child', Agastache 'Honeybee blue', and hydrangea 'Maculata' (for Hydrangea 'Blue Wave', Phlox stolnifera-pink, and hydrangea 'Taube')
For deb (rootdigger): Salvia 'Love Child', 'Lipstick', and Euonymus fortunei "Silver King"(for Mystic Merlin malva and butterfly ginger)
For John: Lobelia cardinalis, Impatiens zombensis, and Salvia 'Love Child' (for Amarcrinum and Lemon Verbena)
For Shari:'Autumn Moon' Camellia (for 'Bright Edge' Yucca)
For Alicia: Salvia 'Love Child', sassafras, Honeycomb Buddleia, Nikko Hydrangea, native tiarella, Kirengoshoma, Leonotis, Black Cohosh, and Cary'Dark Knight' (for Penstemon tenuis, Short's Aster, Sky Blue Aster, Aromatic Aster, serviceberry, La iris, pyrocantha, and jri)
For Jean jnhidden: Buddleia 'Honeycomb', Tiarella "Iron Cross', Caryopteris 'Dark Knight'and Salvia 'Lipstick' (for Klems hardy gardenia, Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', and perennial sunflower,helianthus 'Lemon Queen')
For Karen: Kirengoshoma,Calamintha grandiflora, calycanthus, and variegated Hypericum (for Salvia 'El Cielo',Vernonia glauca, Salvia sinoalensis, and Amorphophallus konjac )
For hschutte (Sandy): Morus rubra,2-3 (for mock orange)

o

My MIL will be joining me at the swap. She has 2 nice sized butterfly bushes (purple, I think) that she is interested in trading for blueberry bushes.

o

Does anyone have 3 or 5 gallon pots to swap for plants?

o

Hi Deb,
The kids and I collect a couple of bags of pinecones for you yesterday that I will bring for you. The ostrich fern didn't make it. Sorry! I will bring you pinecones and the viburnum. I also think the blue hill salvia rooted that I can bring for you (and maybe a hardy gardeia - if not I can root some for you for spring).

Sally, I would love cannas Intrigue and Studtgart.

Ralph, do you still want me to bring you viburnum and ginger? Let me know! Thanks! If you have black EE, I would love it.

Tammy, I would love to try rudbeckia triloba.

Krystol, I forgot to say that I also have creeping thyme to trade for foxglove to add to our trade if you want to :-)
I think I would like to try your five leaf Akeba vine (chocolate vine). I will bring you a lot of liriope - we are rebuilding our beds this week and it has spread a lot so I will put a lot of it in bags for you Friday night!

Liz, I have redbuds and viburnums to trade for nepata (catnip), curly willow tree and jap iris (Joy Peters) - would you like to trade?

o

Sorry Karen, I'll fix my notes. Thanks. -Ais.

o

Ais, Thanks for the ginger! Finally got my ginger bed ready and that one will snuggle in nicely with the other!

Jean, Special 'Hugs' to you and the kids for collecting the pinecones!

Brenda, the Silver King w/the ivy sounds lovely! Thank you!

I really appreciate all the plants and the pine cones from everyone! Everything is shaping up beautifully! :::sniff::: now if someone can tell me how to turn off the water works I'll have it made, LOL....

o

Jean- sorry, I don't have any foxglove, wish I did, I love them.
Thanks for the liriope and vinca. I have you down for Kanjiro camelia and Eden climbing rose. However, none of the rose cuttings made it. I will be happy to substitute something else or bring a couple of fresh cuttings for you to try. I will also bring the 5 leaf akebia vine. You will enjoy it - quite hardy and fast growing.

o

deb, if you still need pinecones, i think my kids still have a stash. they certainly could collect some. i potted up a pot of basket grass, too.

jean- you didn't say what we were swapping for. i have you down for ostrich fern (but i see you told somone else it didn't make it, so i guess that's scratched), chinese lanterns and stachys monieri. i'm bringing you fresh rose cuttings, dicliptera and a rudbeckia triloba. please let me know if that's incorrect. thanks, tam

o

Hi Krystol, I would love to try to root Eden rose cuttings if you bring me some. Thanks! That would be great! I will also bring you some thyme.

Deb, the kids saw some more pinecones in the woods on the way back to the van after soccer practice tonight and
so we started a third bag for you! I may have a hard time keeping them from collecting pinecones from now on everywhere we go! LOL!
We saw some really big ones in Sequoia National Park last March which I think they would be even more impressed with now that they know the size of our native ones so well!
I just noticed while reading back over the old posts tonight that you wanted dryopteris erythrosora (Autumn fern) to trade for a small black stem EE (on my wish list).
Would you like me to see if I can divide it? Let me know!

Tammy,
The ostrich ferns didn't make it, but I can bring you the other plants. I would love red cascade (rooted, if you have it), and
cuttings of your other roses, esp the veilchenblau!

Ais, if you still have leopard plant, I would like one. Thanks!
Would you like me to bring you spearmint, creeping thyme and blue hill salvia? Would you like any of those?
I Would love a Hydrangea 'Blue Wave' - I think you said you would try to save one for me.

Alicia, I looked and I do have several of those large pots I can trade you for an extra plant (an extra Hot Lips salvia, BB salvia or cardinal flower would be great)

Karen, I would love to try some of your extra Alstroemeria psitticina!

Dana, did you get your russian sage to root or do you have a division you could share with me?
Any luck with San Carlos and Argentina Skies? What am I bringing you for them if so?
Would you to trade for like Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', Daylily 'Paprika Velvet', and blue hill salvia?
I can try to get a sassafras for you.

Ralph, I have some mini EEs now - would you like me to bring you a couple?

Liz, I would love to trade redbuds, blue hill salvia, Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', and viburnum for
nepata (catnip), 'Paper Butterfly' DL, Chrysanthemum White Bomb and jap iris.

What did we decide about a seed swap? Another day or after lunch?

o

Tammy, Yes! I can use them. We're using them with pumpkins with heart (or bell, haven't worked those details out yet) cut outs and tea lights, so I'm collecting all I can. Thanks Bunches to the kids!

o

Hi Tammy, I just saw your post. Yes, that sounds right to me too. And yes, even though I watered a lot, the ostrich ferns didn't make it for some reason. I have christmas ferns or I can bring you blue hill salvia (think it succesfully rooted) or lavender instead if you like.

Here is what I have on my special trade list for everyone to check:
Ais -> ferns, Francee for Acanthus (Bear's Breech), Lamium 'petite point', poss. leopard plant
alicia7b -> Beech, sassafras, gardenia, Caryopteris 'Blue Mist' for Hot Lips salvia, black & blue sage, aster, cardinal flower, (large pots for extra plant?)
brenda_near_eno -> Kleims hardy gardenia, Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', helianthus Perennial Sunflower for Honeycomb buddelia, Caryopteris 'Black Knight', Ironcross tiarella, s.lipstick
dogridge / Krystol -> some liriope, vinca minor, creeping thyme for rooted camelia sasanqua 'Kanjiro' and climbing rose 'Eden' cuttings, choc vine
hollyclyff / Dana -> salvia 'San Carlos Festival', salvia guaranitica 'Argentina Skies', Russian sage, ajuga 'Bronze Beauty' for TBD (sassafras & ?)
keithrnjd / Sally -> Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' for EE 'Illustris' (canna Intrigue or Studtgart? for extra stachys?)
tamelask / Tammy -> chinese lanterns, Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink' for Veilchenblau and hopefully other rose cuttings, dicliptera and a rudbeckia triloba
rootdigger / Deb -> pinecones, Viburnum, Blue Hill, gardenia for Frosty Pink brug, lamium, perennial Ageratum (Eupatorium coelestinum)
shari1332 -> Viburnum for Liatris spicata 'Kobold' bulbs
Trianglejohn -> vinca minor, vinca major, Viburnum for Dicliptera suberecta, a Amarcrinum, brugs (white,orange)
raven20 /Liz - possible trade --> redbuds, blue hill salvia, Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink', and viburnum for
nepata (catnip), 'Paper Butterfly' DL, Chrysanthemum White Bomb and jap iris ?
karen__w -> Winter layer azalea 'Summer Lyric' for Salvia Hot Lips, Salvia Red Velvet, & Cypella coelestis (goblet flwr)
Ralphw -> viburnums & gingers
possibly rcving butterfly weed and fennel

o

Jean, I'll go ahead and bring the Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii'-'Black Stem' EE for you. ...and I'll remove the Dryopteris erythrosora (save it for spring) and Ostrich fern. My kids got into collecting acorns when they were little (from parks) and then they'd leave them in piles around the yard or at the base of trees, for the squirrels in winter, lol...

Dana, I still don't know what I'm bringing you?

o

Jean, that sounds good.

Brenda, the serviceberry is still looking kind of sorry for itself even though I dug it more than a month ago or whenever it was we arranged the trade. It will probably make it, though, I have brutally tranplanted some in the spring that lived. If you don't want it I do have a fever tree.

o

jean, i see you have mini ee's. i could REALLy use those in my fair plot, so if you have enough to spare... sure, i can bring fresh cuttings of as much as i can, and i do indeed have some red cascade rooting. they are the only ones who didn't keel over during my vaca. i've had them root in floral arrangements before, so i'm not surprised!

deb, no problem. are you going to leave them natuarl or spray paint them a pretty color? that sounds really pretty. oh, and there's lots at the fairgrounds if you can still still stop out there on your way outta town. crap- just realized it's feista del peublo this weekend- you may have to pay to get into that to get in. we'll see if we can't wrangle our way in. otherwise, we'll deal with it- it's like $2 a head & has good food.

o

Tammy, leaving them natural with the added color coming from the ribbon (royal blue) and tea lights and flowers (white). Also going to throw in some fragrant cinnamon. Her colors aren't exactly fall colors but I think it'll be pretty with the fall stuff mixed in with her colors.

The fiesta sounds cool and at $2 a head cheap entertainment!

o

There is a project beginning in October for survivors of sexual violence in Orange County. Seeds are needed for a winter-sowing project. If you have extra seeds, please consider donating them. I will have a box at the Swap this Saturday.

Alicia, either plant is fine. But you have got me curious - I've never heard of a fever tree?

o

Tammy, sure! I will bring you mini EEs!

Deb, that is hilarious about your kids leaving piles of pinecones for the squirrels for winter. That sounds like just what my kids would do! In fact, my 5 year old son (the thoughtful one) even asked as we picked them up, "Squirrels like to eat them, don't they?" He was already thinking about them! Hmmm... that sounds like a way to keep them busy outside in the fall when they start running wild around the house :-)

Thanks also for the EE! I will / the AutFern for you in the spring.

Brenda, I have some seeds I can donate. I will bring some.

Dana, I don't know what I am bring you? I will look for sassafras but other than that..? let me know! thanks!

We aren't swapping seeds on Saturday, right? I am afraid I lost the conversation thread on that subject. Did we pick another time and place? I would like to come if I can.

o

Brenda there used to be 2 fever tree in the parking lot of the Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill. The botanical name is Pinckneya braceata and they have pink poinsettia-like flowers in June. They are native to wet sandy places in the coastal plain. They did very well in the Chapel Hill grit at the BG. Not sure how they like clay. I know that Elizabeth Lawrence grew one in her Raleigh garden, which was dry -- is Raleigh usually clay?

o

Brenda, I've got seeds. Are you looking for anything special? I'll bring a collection. Shannon

o

Jean, I have a Leopard plant for you. I'd like the blue salvia. I do also have you for the 'Blue Wave' Hydrangea.
MY LIST (please correct me if I screwed up)
Alicia: Phlox, iris,H.'Nikko Blue', L.'Petit Point' for Celadine poppies and virginia bluebells.
Tammy:'Mars' viola, Tasmanian Violet, H.'Blue Wave', acanthus,rooting lamium for asters, agastache, and buddleia cuttings
Brenda: H.'Taube', H.'Blue Wave', Phlox for S.'Lovechild', H.maculata, agastache
Jean: L.'Petit Point', acanthus, Leopard plant, H.'Blue Wave' for fern, hosta, blue salvia
Deb.:C.'Summer Snow', H.'Taube', Pinecone ginger for C.'Emperor, perennial ageratum
Karen:C.'Summer Snow', Leopard plant for S.'Hot Lips', white beautyberry
Krystol:L. Petit Point for thyme

I hope I got everyone. I just moved the rooted hydrangeas to their own pots so I hope they don't get upset with me, being so newly rooted. But they do all have roots at least. -Ais.

o

for what it's worth, i'll be bringing some seeds. i don't recall where we left it as far as seed exchange went. seems like each swap there's a box of seeds to trade.

ais, our swap seems lopsided. is there anything else you'd like?

ooh- jean- thank you for the mini ee's. i put one spot of them in already, but another will help for sure.

alicia, if there's anything you'd like in exchange, i wouldn't mind the fever tree. i ordered one many moons ago, but it didn't like where i put it. if it's spoken for, no big deal. did you start it from seed, or did it just come up? i know thery're native, but they're supposed to be rare, right? very neat.

i will prep a flag for everyone who's posted on the these threads that they're coming for a spot at the shelter (on the lawn)for their trades and to put their grabs. anyone else who shows up can do their own- there are plenty of flags. maybe this way we'll get more visiting (and oogling) time and less traipsing all over looking for the recipients of our green babies.

tam

o

Tammy, I'm just so happy that I've gotten everything (mostly) ready that I wanted to BRING. I am fine with what I am getting. I'm bringing the hubby and kids this time too so there won't be all that much space in the truck!

I hope my plants don't look too pathetic this fall. The leopards plants are healthy, but the leaves have big holes from a hailstorm. Acanthus don't like to be moved so they may look wimpy. And the 'Mars' got a little eaten by something. The drought stressed some of my plants too so my selection was more limited. The weeds, however, are prospering so I have put everything in new dirt. I hope I don't send any bad hitch-hikers to you guys... my yard is a little wild. -Ais.

o

Tammy, I have a mini ee I can bring you- no trade needed, I'd just be happy to contribute to your plot. And I'll bring seeds and pot up one of my begonias for the OC project.

o

Tammy, how about swapping the Cassia alata and a fever tree for a Veilchenblau cutting and a cutting from your medium purple Buddleia?

I have two fever trees now that I grew from seed from the Botanical Garden, one a 2-3' seedling from a couple years ago that I had to dig up (other trees around it had to be removed), and a small seedling from this year. Tammy if Brenda wants one too would you be willing to take the smaller one since I'm trading with Brenda for another tree? They are native, I think closer to the coast than here, and rare.

o

you guys are the bestest!

ais, it's just fine if things look ratty. my stuff sure does! i didn't water much during those droughty weeks and it shows. i'm with ya- i'm thrilled to have all my ducks in a row(mostly).

shari- you are too sweet! i will happily accept your mini ee's. i'm gonna have to do a byline on my plot sign about y'all! :)

alicia- the smaller fever tree & a cassia would be awesome. aren't you going to keep one for you? don't let me take your last one. i didn't jot down the cassia before, so i forgot you were bringing that. i'll be happy to bring you butterfly bush & veilchenblau cuttings.

a note to all whom i'm bring rose cuttings for: i will try again this winter (had good luck last yr w/ hard cuttings in winter). so if your cuttings don't root, hopefully i 'll have stuff rooted for springtime.

thanks all! tam

o

karen_w - Patrinia would be perf for my gaudy sun border. Since I am nutty for Sedum some bits of the S. bithynicum would be lovely! I've got the pot of Cornus ready for you and a mix of bright Iris.

Brenda_near_Eno - Iris for you and I'll bring Lettuce seeds for OC and some other WS-able seeds.

madamekiki - Pink Iris for you, and some others mixed with because I didn't mark those well enough in bloom so it'll be pot-luck in Spring.

Someone asked if I was bringing Vitex Chaste Tree -yes, several. LMK which of you 'specially wanted one.

tamelask - On behalf of us all - THANK YOU for doing the work of flagging!

Nancy the nancedar

o

Alicia, I'd love the fever tree if it isn't too dear. I have about 5 5gallon and 6 3gallon pots I can bring if you need them?

Does anyone have rasberry or kiwi cuttings to share?

All my stuff looks ratty due to heat and just the time of year. The poor snakeroot looks like I'm trading yellow and brown fronds. But I promise there are healthy roots in all the pots and if anything does croak, I would feel bad if anyone didn't just drop me a line so I can make it right. Pots from me are likely to have snail hitchhikers - since I've been gardening, the size of my snails seems to be the best indicator of my progress. Feel free to smash them as I do.

o

Nancy, are you bringing curly willow tree (rooted or cuttings) to the swap? I would love to get one started in my yard!

o

I've been sick all week, but I finally managed to drag myself outside this morning to dig. Mostly I'm bringing daylilies because they're so easy - just dig and bag.
Deb, how about some begonia 'Wildwood Purity' for the viburnum?
Jean, I have the two salvias and the ajuga, but no Russian sage. I'd like some of your 'Sahara Pink' if that's ok. Not sure what else - what color is your creeping phlox?
Brenda, don't worry about snails in mine and I wouldn't dare squish one. My turtle loves escargot. Your hydrangea looks kind of pitiful from the drought, but it should be fine - if not I'll bring you another next spring. I was going to see if I could dig a better looking one, but the one in the ground looks even worse.
Dana

o

Tammy I have a fever tree seedling in the ground and another in a pot, so these two going to the swap aren't my last. They're really easy to grow from seed.

Brenda, those pots would be great. You still want the serviceberry too, right?

o
RE: WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap list

My special trades are on my exchange page.

o

Ditto on the stuff looking ratty due to the heat and time of year, plus my daughter killed off all the hardy ageratum which I had potted up months ago, while I was out of town helping my sister move. I dug some fresh today, but it's really unhappy abt it so it's not going to look very good.

Went to dig the lamium and it really hasn't started regrowing (waiting for cooler weather), but it should be fine. I also had to restart some frosty pink brug after returning home, and when I went to divide them into their own pots today they already had nice roots!

Brenda, we dug a bunch of ginger, but I'm going to have to cut it back some to get it in the car.

Dana, I can't remember which is which on the begonia, so I'll bring you some of both. This stuff will spread gang busters so be careful where you plant it and it does need good shade.

Alicia, I'd love the climbing Old Blush if it isn't spoken for. What can I bring you for it?

o

Deborah, do you have any more of the white butterfly ginger? If not I'd be interested in the pink evening primrose.

o

Alicia, thanks for the Old Blush rose and I'll bring you some of both,... the white ginger and the pink evening primrose.

o

jnhidden, I just noticed your request for a swap. Sorry I missed your earlier post. Yes, I'd love a redbud, virburnum, and blue hill salvia and can bring you nepeta (catnip), Iris Joy Peters, and daylily Paper Butterfly. I was only ablie to split one Chrysanthemum White Bomb and that's already promised. Will that work?

Here's the remainder of my swap list - please let me know if I missed anything:

Brenda - You had it correct in your post

Tamelask - coneflower and myosotis for indigofera and epimedium

Krystol - salvia, viburnum, redbud for creeping thyme, nepeta, and japanese iris

Alicia - Hot Lips for Chinese Indigo

Karen - hellebores and salvia for aster snowflurry, epimedium, chrysanthemum white bomb

I look forward to meeting all of you!
Liz (raven20)

o

alicia, i'm glad it's not your last one and that it's easy to start from seed. good to know.

brenda, what kind of kiwi and rasperry were you looking for? i really don't know how to take kiwi cuttings, but i have a male & female hardy i can take cuttings of- they need trimmed up anyhow. i also have red rasps, wineberries (like a red rasp but fruits in shade), & black rasps that i could bring offsets of. i'll need to know pronto so i can dig them tomorrow.

tam

o

Liz- I don't have any salvia. I do have your viburnum and redbud potted up. Is there something else I can bring you? I potted up some gold flame spirea, akebia vine, and have cuttings of climbing Eden rose and Kanjiro camelia (sasanqua). I have plenty of creeping raspberry graound cover, a small poplar tree (1 ft tall). I also have more viburnum and redbud, if you want two of those.

Karen W- our swap seems lopsided. Is there anything you want me to bring besides the Kanjiro? I have you bringing liriope, vinca a nd C. americana.

Looking forward to the swap!

o

I'm glad everybody else's plants are looking tired. I've got a few Amorphophallus for the general swap that are starting to go dormant already. I was wondering if I should even bring them, but it sounds like it'll be an understanding crowd.

Krystol, I've got a wooded area crying out for redbud, so if you've got a small one you can spare I'd love that. Otherwise, I'm not worried about anything but whether I'm going to remember your vinca cuttings on Sat AM.

Nancy, I potted up Patrinia and Sedum bithynicium for you this evening. I may add some other sedums and you can just let me know when you see them if you want them or not, but they're a weakness of mine so I have lots of different species.

o

Tammy,
I'm readin Gaia's garden, and I'm mad to try mixing edibles with ornamentals and wildlife-friendlies, so I'll take anything you want to share. I'm trying to think of something special in trade. I have a large sprouted root cutting of Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile', Chinese snowball bush? If that's not a good one, give me a hint, cuz I have a little of everything.

o

Brenda, 'wildlife-friendlies'? Great, I'll let my deer know they should head over to your house.

o
And: WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

Your deer frequent my house already, Karen. Ever notice that you should not eat food with your fingers for 2-3 days after spraying the garden with TreeGuard? Spicy aerosol backdrafts on me even thru gloves.

o

Hi Liz, yes that sounds great!

Karen, I think I can bring you a redbud if you like. I will look for one for you tomorrow.

Dana, I can bring you a couple of Stachys monieri 'Saharan Pink'. Let me know if you Would like any of these: mini Elephant ear, trumpet vine, small dogwoods, american holly, tulip poplar...?
I have the purple, Emerald blue, pink and white creeping phlox, but I don't know which is which right now!
We just dug them all up to rebuild the garden beds. I can bring you some if you are interested but the color would
be a surprise.

Hi Shari, did you ask me about the perennial sunflower? I found another one and would love to trade it with you for
Norma Jean daylily!

o

you know, i am fine the way it is. i'm so overwhelmed right now witheverything i don't need anything else that needs attention. if you have a cohosh potted you were gonna throw in the general trade, that'll work since it's going dormant and i don't need to think about it. i'd best not get anymore viburnums right now, b/c my holding area is already too big. i may take you up on that a swap or 2 down the rd. :) i love viburnums & want one of each, esp the fragrant ones. but i've been torturing a burkwoodii this yr and i think a snowflake for a couple yrs now, waiting on that back yard project. sigh...

i don't mind sharing the berries- i love edible landscaping and like to spread the gospel. and they spread themselves about generously!! maybe i'll have to ck out that author. i know i have a wineberry already potted and a red rasp (i think-but it may be black). i can ck if i have a black, too. that'll get you going good. i'll bring kiwi trimmings, though i have no advice for rooting them. matter of fact, if you figure it out, let me know.
thanks, tam

o

Jean,I don't have another Norma Jean. The one for Alicia is just an extra fan from an order I placed this summer. Maybe next year if it increases enough and the voles don't find it.

o

No problem Shari. I will bring the sunflwr for you if you still want it, though.
One reason I liked it was b/c it had my name in it ~ keep me in mind for the future :-)
I am really glad we don't have any voles (yet), but I did see a baby bunny and we do have deer...

o

Krystol, I'll try the spirea. This is good, it forces me to try something new.

jnhidden, I don't know what I was thinking - I do have chrysanthemum white bomb, it's the aster snowflurry that I only had one of. I'll bring that for you as well.

Liz

o

so sorry- that above post was directed at brenda. didn't even notice through my bleary eyes last night. tam

o

Jean - I have the 'Emerald Blue' phlox, but none of the others so go ahead and bring some phlox if you don't mind. Odds are pretty good it will be one I don't have. That and the stachys are good. I have the two salvias and ajuga for you - sorry about the Russian sage. It just has the one main stem coming out of the ground so it's not something I can divide. Thanks.
Dana

o

Tammy,
I'm bringing 2 Cassia alata tomorrow. You may want to keep them in the shade for a few days before putting one of them in the State Fair plot to recover from being dug.

o

Hi Dana, that sounds good. I will bring you 2 stachys and creeping phlox. No problem about the Russian sage. I understand. Maybe in a couple of years when it (hopefully) spreads and gets bigger...
Liz, what else can I bring you for the chry white bomb? I was bringing you redbud, blue hill and viburnum. Would you like a couple of viburnums?

o

alicia, john's advice for the cassia was to keep it in a pot in the hottest spot i could find for it (after it adjusts of course)to let it get as big as possible before the fair. he said high heat is the key to their happiness. the area in my plot where it will go is fairly shady; hence the need to pop it in last minute. even if it stays small i can use it. thanks!

ais, i beleive you asked for the dicliptera second. i was taking everything up front today and made the unwelcome discovery that one of the 2 cups had rotted. so i'll bring some fresh starts. so sorry.

i'm trying to recall who asked for a red cascade rose. anyone? i'd like to set one aside for whomever wanted it; one is showing some new growth.

o

I had already forgotten about it anyways Tammy :) I'll try the cuttings though.
My daughter, who is 3, is fascinated with this business of putting cuttings in dirt and has been busily pulling off little branches of stuff and sticking them in empty pots of soil that I give her. She'll probably have a greater success rate than me!
See you all tomorrow!

o

This shindig doesn't officially start till 11 but I know some of us get there early. Especially the special trades stuff. We'll be there between 9:30 and 10.

Tammy where are you going to put the flags,... near the parking area or up by the shelter? Also if you don't get any takers on the red cascade rose I'd love to try it.

AIS, that is so precious with your little girl! :)

o

Thanks Deb., she is cute and VERY busy.
The swap starts at 12, right? Set up at 11? That's what the post said. Pre-trading to be done around that time? I don't want to be late, but I'd hate for you to be sitting there for an hour so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm planning to be there by 11 (hopefully a little before)

o

AIS, If I'm remembering correctly we're usually there by 10. I've run later a few times but we usually get there pretty early so we can have things hauled up and set out before the crush starts, lol. I try to get the special trades to people as they arrive. Last spring I missed a couple people and they left before I could find them, so I left some things with John and posted a note on here about it. I think the flags will help with that problem this year!

o

Hi Tammy, I was the one who had asked you about the red cascade rose :-)

o

ok- i'll mark off a couple red cascades, no problem. thanks, ais for ebing understanding about the dicliptera. your daughter will probably be successful- it's easy to root. it just got too wet with all the rain lately. i can bring a few coleus for her to root- they are so easy she can watch roots grow in a glass of water.

we will shoot to be there at 10 or so, but that's about the earliest we can manage. i was planning to do the flags up near the shelter so that the spots can double as our stash areas, but i can do it either way. it'd be easy enough to move them up the hill as we get ready to rumble. see you all tomorrow! tam

o

I ended up with 2 red cascades, so if someone really wanted that rose (mini red rose climber, I think) that didn't get it, let me know, and if it makes it through the winter ok, I can bring it for you in the spring.

Tammy, I never found the Veilchenblau cup. I guess it disappeared somehow. Maybe you can root one this winter for me? Also, if the ostrich fern ever makes a comeback and grows back, I will save it for you for the spring. I had a couple of them but the heat or lack of water got to them.

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Phenomenal folks you are - we had great fun, and thanks as well for the wonderful plants!

o
ER: WANTED 2.0: Special Trades for Sep 9 Raleigh Swap

And could I please have the recipe for the cucumber salad with cucumber cut like slaw? Mike thought it was spectacular.

o

sure, jean, i'll be rooting veil this winter. you have 2 trimmings you can try, too, and t's fairly easy to root. i wonder where that potted one went? i had plenty of red cascade, so probably everyone who wanted it got it.

ais- i feel so bad- i had a ton of cuttings for you that didn't get into your hands before you left. maybe there's some way to get together sometime.

i downloaded pix last night- nothing too spectacular- but a couple funny ones. i will try to post them later today. the best one?- one of tami faye basking in the adoration of some kids. :) tam

o
pix posted

figured if i didn't do them straight up, they wouldn't get done. i piggy backed onto the spring swap album since neither was very big. enjoy! tam

not sure if this is going to work- lmk if you don't see the fall pix. thanks, tam

Here is a link that might be useful: fall & spring swap '06 pix

o

Tammy you were right, that picture of Tami Faye is great. The way she holds her nose up in the air like that really cracks me up.... she thinks she is "holding court" for sure. Thanks for the pics. Adele

o

That's my hubby, Mike in first picture with wagon, not Ralph.

o

sorry, brenda! i have corrected it.
yeah, adele, the tami faye one is the best of the bunch, no doubt. she's such a diva.

o

Tammy I didn't get cuttings from you either -- perhaps this spring?

o

Hi Tammy,
I have already forgotten since I didn't write it down, but what is the name of the rose for the unmarked cuttings?
Thanks!!
Jean

o

yes, alicia- you were the other one who'd left before i realized it. i hadn't wanted the cuttings to wilt, which is why i waited til after the general swapping, but as usual i was running my mouth too much and didn't notice folks were leaving (never happen with me, right!?). i'll have to go back and look at my list, but i will try and root what i owe you for spring alicia. if not, i can take cuttings. and i didn't even get to say hello- i'm so sorry! a few other folks were supposed to get one thing, but you and ais had the bulk, other than jean, who got hers.

jean, and anyone else who got roses from me: if it was not marked, it was veilchenblau. all of the others would have had a name written on a leaf. it roots easily, isn't too thorny, and is not fragrant. it's a very vigorous climber that blooms in clusters that cover the trellis all at once- so it makes a breathtaking tapestry of grapey purple, blueish purple, reddish pinky purple, and an occasional white bloom. no rebloom, sorry to say. very carefree- the only thing is the JBs like it. i don't spray, feed or do anything else to mine except prune- hard- because it grows so big so fast.
tam

o

Tammy and John,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! so very much for all your efforts!!!
We all really appreciate you guys!!

Thanks a million!
Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here