Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdbheartsease

WANTED: Raleigh 2012 Fall Plant Swap

Judy Brown
11 years ago

Has a date been set for my Favorite Plant Swap? I have a bumper crop of blackberry lilies coming up, if anyone should need any.

Comments (52)

• tamelask
    11 years ago

i'm shocked this hasn't taken off and we only have 2 and 1/2 weeks to go! C'mon; let's get some swaps going!

Here's some of what i may bring. Having a plant sale the week before to benefit our community garden, but let me know if you see something you want and i'll set it aside for you. Whatever doesn't sell, i'll bring to the swap.

Perennial, hardy:
    rudbeckia trilobea (brown eyed susan), common dogwood seedlings, 'country girl' mum (single pink), silver edge mum (yellow button flowers), 'silver king' artemesia, phlox divaricata (woodland phlox), hibiscus coccinea (star of texas hibiscus; large red flowers), verbena bonariensis (verbena on a stick), 'lipstick' salvia, dianthis japonica, campanula 'cherry bells, 'san carlos' salvia, helleborus orientalis (lenten rose), 'marion stewart' abutilon, 'amethystina' tricirtus (speckled toadlily), malvaviscus drummundii (turk's cap hibiscus), carolina jessamine, heliotrope amplexicaule (creeping heliotrope), manettia inflata or cordifolia (firecracker vine), ruellia (mexican petunia), aquilegia canadensis (columbine), amsonia tabernaemontana (blue star), spirea (old fashioned bridal wreath), and some kind of tall bush- not sure- looks a bit like rosemary (that's what the gift giver thought it was)- i'm guessing a yew or some kind, or perhaps a podocarpus. The mother plants' hardy, about 10-12' now, and fairly columnular.

Houseplants; not hardy:
    tradescantia zebrinia, (striped purple wandering jew), epidendrobium, (pink- purple small flowered orchid), salvia elegans 'chartruese', 'amethist' passiflora, and cuttings of cuphea ignea (cigar plant), plectranthus (unknown cultivar- pungent scent, small, oak leafed with long arms and dainty lavendar flowers)

• plantbug
    11 years ago

tamelask, I am interested in your amethystina tricirtus-speckled toadlily. Let me know if I have anything you would like.

I am bringing these:
    barberry, golden
    barberry, rosie glow sun
    clerdundrum bungei sun/shade
    colocasia elena sun/shade
    crape myrtle dark pink sun
    elephant ears upright sun/shade
    forsythia yellow sun
    grasses, 3-4 ' tall sun
    lady in red fern shade
    lizard tail shade
    mondo grass 3" sun/shadeTAKEN
    mondo grass 8" sun/shade
    native holly sun/shade
    native red bud sun/shade
    native sun flower sun
    passion flower, purple bloom sun
    pinella tripartita sun/shade
    rice paper plant sun/shade
    trillium cuneteaum shade
    vinca dark variegated sun/shade
    yucca color guard sun
    yucca green native sun
    TREES:native holly, catawba, red twig dogwood

I have found pink pampas grass, and red blooming cannas.
    What are you looking for?
    Please email me directly.

Thanks, plantbug

• tamelask
    11 years ago

hey plantbug- i'll be happy to set aside a tricyrtis or 2 for you. I'd love a lady in red fern. I'll send you an email, too. Thanks!

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

I have several garlics for trade.
    Aglio Rosso
    Pescadero
    creole
    pyong vang (korean)

Several 5 gal container peppers
    Naga (extreme hot)
    Peter Pepper (red)
    Hungarian Wax Yellow
    (All are producing, can be cut down for overwintering)

horsetail
    Succulents

If anyone willing, I would love some blackberry lilies, any shade plants/flowers, and that beatiful purple peacock plant that was at the Spring trade.

• ratgirl
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm gonna bring. As soon as I see more "Wants" posted I might be able to hone in on something special. I'll be coming more for socializing and bringing something for the general swap. Regarding my wants, I'm going to be looking for any evergreen shrubs anyone might bring.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

SWAP SWAP SWAP SWAP SWAPSWAP SWAP SWAP SWAP !!!!!!!!!!

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I'm interested in your amethystina' tricirtus and epidendrobium. Let me know what you're looking for. I'll try to post my trade list, later today.

Lorabell, I bring you a pot of Blackberry Lillies for Pyong Vang Garlic.The pot that I'm bringing you also has a speckled wandering jew (perennial) in it.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

Judy, I'd be happy to set aside an amethystina and epidendrobium for you. the epi is a non hardy orchid; ie houseplant. And you said you had speckled toadlilies, which is what amethystina is, so i want to double ck you still want it. I'd love a 'tropicana' canna for the garner grows garden if you have extra. If not, i'm interested in your variegated fairy bells or black scallop ajuga. Thanks!

• Ralph Whisnant
    11 years ago

Lorabell, I would also like to swap for any of your garlic that you still have available.
    I am bringing the following to the swap for distribution. Jewels of Opar, swamp sunflower, yellow-flowered Cannas, Ginger Lilies, Texas Star Hibiscus, Tropical Butterfly weed (must be given winter protection), Salvia coccinea (also needs winter protection, but reseeds), hardy Begonia grandis, a couple of Pink Elephant elephant ears, Spotted Wandering Jew'(Tinantia and Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate'.

For trading I have available the following hardy salvias: 'Black and Blue', 'Hot Lips' in bloom in gallon pots, 'Red Letter','Senorita Leah', 'Mulberry Jam', S. darcyii, S. koyame(yellow flowers, deep shade) and S. mexicana 'Limelight'. The latter did overwinter this past year but is not usually hardy here. I also have for trade hardy Begonia taipeiensis and a hybrid Begonia 'Cleopatra' that should be grown as a house plant during the winter. I also have available for trade Cannas 'Bengal Tiger' and 'Australia', Amorphophallus bulbifer and A. konjac, American persimmon seedlings, var. Petasites japonica, a gorgeous deep wine red Monarda that has shown no signs of powdery mildew, several kinds of hardy Tradescantia and year old potted Rabbit-eye blueberry sprouts

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, My toad lilies have more of a maroon and white flower. What color are the flowers on your toad lilies? If it's purple, I'd like to have one. I can bring you a tropicana canna. My variegated fairy bells have died back. The black scallop ajuga is gone - died out. I need to remove that from my list. In the past, I had brought black scallop ajuga to the swap. I wander if anyone out there has any for sharing. If so, I'd like to get a plant.

For trades I have:
    Arborvitae Fern (3 pots)
    Archangel - Lamiastrum Galeobdolon
    Artmeisia Oriental Limelight
    Blackberry lillies
    Campanula - White bells with maroon specs
    Chocolate Vine (1 small pot)
    Chinese Foxglove
    Corydalis
    Comfrey - Miniature (3 pots - My favorite plant)
    Creeping Charlie - green
    Geranium Robertianum "Herb Robert"
    Helleborus Foetidus
    Japanese Parsley - Altropurpurea - cryptotaenia
    Lemon Balm
    Lobelia - Red - Hummingbirds love this plant
    Salvia lyrata - Purple Knockoff (3 pots)
    Strawberry Begonia
    St. John's Wort - (1 pot)

I'm looking for unusual plants, callaway ginger, black scallop ajuga and carnivorus plants - pitcher plants.

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

jdbheartease, sounds great. Thanks so much.

Ralphw, I still have some of each garlic for trade... each bulb has as least 8 good size cloves. Let me know what you could use.
    I would love the amorphophallas konjac, and thanks.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

I have for special trades ONLY:

Ginger Lily-Hedychium Dr Moy pale orange bloom, var leaf
    Ginger Lily-Hedychium coronarium white blooms, green leaf
    Canna-Stuttgart
    Canna-Bengal Tiger
    Musa Basjoo Banana
    Windmill Palm, Trachycarpus fortunei

What do you have to trade?

Email me privately, please. plantbug

• plantbug
    11 years ago

ralphw,

From your special trades, I am interested in your:'Australia', Amorphophallus bulbifer, and deep wine red Monarda.

Do I have anything you are interested in?

Please email privately. plantbug

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just potted up 2 Euonymus Americanus, aka Hearts A Busting Bushes. Any interest out there?

• tamelask
    11 years ago

judy, i wish i could share the ajuga with you but i don't have any. How about instead of the ajuga or fairy bells some of the mini comfrey? You didn't say if you had the canna. If you have something else you'd like to get, i'd love to do a 3 fer, with me getting some chinese foxglove, too. If not, no biggie. My plant's blooms are fairly purple- i'd say somewhere between purple and burgundy. I guess if it's the same as you have it won't be a big deal, right?

• Ralph Whisnant
    11 years ago

Lorabelle, I have set aside an amorphophallus konjac for you. Would you like an a. bulbifer also? Its stem looks a lot like a snake's skin and it makes new plants by forming little bulblets where the leaves branch. I had planned to plant a lot of garlic this fall, so if I have enough that you are interested in I would like a bulb of each. If not, you can choose which variety.

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

Ralphw, a bulb of each it is. Yes, I would love the bulbifer.

I'll also throw in a few cloves of several other varieties I have in exchange for a plant of your choice if your willing...cuz I love surprises!

And I'm out of garlic for exchange...
    Still have a large producing naga pepper plant available, anyone?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I can bring you the canna, the chinese foxglove and the miniature comfrey. Let me know if you see anything else you're interested in.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

I am going to bring some baby Prunus mume, tiarella crosses, hydrangeas (lacecap and Nikko), variegated creeping Charlie, a couple of redbud tree seedlings, toad lily, baby peanut butter trees. Yes, I know the peanut butter trees can spread, but mine are easy to control with an occasional thinning. The flowers smell so beautiful, and the butterflies and hummingbirds love them. I am ok with having no specials unless there is really something you'd like. I will dig if you have a special request.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

brenda_near_eno, I am interested in your tiarella crosses. Do I have anything you are interested in?
    Please email privately.

plantbug

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Brenda, I'd love to get a pot of your Variegated Creeping Charlie. Just let me know what you would like for me to bring you.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have plenty of campanula coming up.. It the white bell with burgundy specs on the inside. I'll pot them up and bring them to the general swap. They bloom in early spring/summer.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

OK, I will bring tiarella for Plantbug and creeping charlie for Judy. I'd love some of that campanula.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brenda, I'll get a special pot of campanula potted up for you. Bells are about 1 1/2" in diameter by 2" in length. Photograph was from this past spring/summer.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

Couple more things i'm bringing if they don't sell at our Garner Grows sale this sat (come on out!!) (so ask if you want one) are walking iris, amsonias (lots- like 25), celeste figs, 'sweet' pomegranate, clitoria ternata, and ruellia

Judy, that looks like takesimanna- did you get it from a past swap, perchance? i used to have it but all of mine blooms pink now. I think the punctata 'cherry bells' took over.

Brenda, i'd love some of the variegated creeping charlie. anything on my list you'd like?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I got mine from a gardener friend here in Winston-Salem. It spreads like crazy. II think I've brought this plant to the swap before. Do you want pot? If possible, I'd like to get a pot of ruellia from you.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I got mine from a gardener friend here in Winston-Salem. It spreads like crazy. II think I've brought this plant to the swap before. Do you want pot? If possible, I'd like to get a pot of ruellia from you.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know why that copied 3 times. I apologize.

• Ralph Whisnant
    11 years ago

Tammy, does your Clitoria ternatea have the semi-double blue and white flowers? If so I am interested in getting a couple. I failed to plant seed of mine this year and what I tried to winter-over died.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

no, Ralph, it's just the native one- single, lavendar blue flower with a white eye, a bit bigger than a quarter each. It may not be ternata- i was typing from memory and in a big hurry. You're welcome to it, if you'd like- it comes back very reliably and the vine is lacy enough you can let it come up through other stuff with no issues. In my yard it likes the blueberries and the coral honeysuckle. Just let me know.

Judy, i'd be tickled to give you some of the ruellia! Sure, a pot of the campanula is great if you have it potted. If not, let's wait til spring- i'm in no hurry and am not positive i don't still have the white. It's just where i planted the white is almost full shade now so it hardly ever blooms for me. I have lots of trouble telling takesimanna (white, leaves glossy) and punctata (pink, leaves slightly hairier) apart in the ground until they bloom and i'm fairly certain mine crossed. Reason? Pink blooms with glossy foliage like the apparent takis parent. I know it was a seedling b/c it came up 25' from where the 2 parents were planted (they were and are separate). It seems more vigorous even than either parent (which is saying something!) Or, perhaps it's just that i have it in an area that it's more obvious when it gets unruly, LOL. It does bloom fairly well given it's only getting about 3-4 hours of sun, so i'm happy to let it be and root out the extras for y'all. and the foliage is pretty year round.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

OK, so I have
    Tammy and Judy - creeping Charlie
    Plantbug - tiarela

What else I am bringing:
    peanut butter tree
    monster fern
    rebbud tree seedlings
    tiarella crosses
    toad lily
    hydrangeas (Nikko, lacecap)
    bougainvillea (lt red, not magenta)
    rice paper plant
    Buddleja lindleyana
    prunus mume
    rice paper plant

• plantbug
    11 years ago

I have a big asparagus fern. It has to be taken inside in the cold weather. Anyone interested?

I also have pots if anyone is interested.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

Correction, no buddleja suckers to be found.

I do have baskets that I have to find homes for, so I will throw them into swap too.

• anna_8nc
    11 years ago

jdbhearease,
    I would be interested in a Euonymus Americanus, but I don't have anything interesting to trade. Most of my perennial flowers have died in the years of drought. I can bring apple mint, (as well as spearmint and peppermint) lemon balm, irises, and plastic pots and buckets.
    Anna

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anna, I'll put your name on one of the Euonymus Americanus. I would love some Apple Mint if you have it to spare.

Looking forward to a great plant swap.

• Hollyclyff
    11 years ago

Tammy - do you have any figs left?

• Ralph Whisnant
    11 years ago

Judy, could I get one of your white Bellflowers? What I have to trade is in a posting somewhere above.
    Brenda, I am always interested in more of your tiarellas if you still have some available.
    Tammy, I have the native Clitoria mariana but would like another if you still have any available.

• brenda_near_eno
    11 years ago

Ok, Ralph, a tiarella for you gladly.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ralph, I'd be delighted to bring you a bellflower. I'd like to get a pot of your gorgeous wine red Monarda.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

Dana, i have one left and it's yours! It's celeste.

Ralph, you are welcome to the clitoria, though i noticed yesterday it was looking unhappy. They have a long tap root and it could be that it's just unhappy in the pot and starting to go dormant. I can collect seed, too if you'd like. I'll also look around and see if there's another i can dig- they pop up all over the place for me and i'm forever digging them and some other pesky but lovely natives out (like carolina jessamine). Too much of a good thing, right?

• anna_8nc
    11 years ago

jdbheartease,
    I'll bring the apple mint.
    Anna

• Hollyclyff
    11 years ago

Thanks Tammy - now what can I bring you? You probably already have most of what I do, but what do you think of this daylily? It's one of a kind (seedling) and I'd love to get some of it in another home in case I lose mine because I'm in love with the color. I've also got some hot pink dianthus that blooms pretty much all summer. It came from the swap so you may already have it. Or if there's something else you think I might have let me know. I wish I had your Delia's purple rose, but I never did pick that one up.

• MagickMare
    11 years ago

Wow... where has the time gone? Two days til swap and I'm just now posting??

Ralph - I'd LOVE some S. mexicana 'Limelight' if you have any left!

Here's what I have:
    Mexican Petunia
    Bengal Canna
    Basjoo Banana
    Salvia 'Black and Blue'
    Several named Hostas

Interested in:
    Variegated shade plants
    creeping jenny
    Japanese Forest Grass
    Dwarf Pomegranate

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dana - That is a beautifull day lilly. Gorgeous Color.

Tammy - You need Dana's day lilly in your garden.

Does anybody have any of the pale whitish/green daylily that they want to swap?

• Hollyclyff
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliment on my seedling Judy. I don't know if everyone's monitor shows it's true color. I looked at it on my iphone and it didn't look nearly as nice on that screen as it really does. It's a really nice raspberry color. Not a perfect flower as far as daylily breeder standards, but I just love the color.

I've got white daylilies, but I don't know if I can figure out which ones they are now that they're not in bloom. Most of my tags have gotten misplaced or faded beyond reading. I'll check today. If not I can make note when they bloom next year. I've got a bunch more daylilies if someone is looking for something in particular, but only maybe a third of them have intact tags.

I'll be bringing some Kwanso for sure because I had a bed of it that I had to remove and I don't need to replant all of it. I know it's common, but I like it.

• Hollyclyff
    11 years ago

I just checked and the only white I can positively id at the moment is 'White Zone'. I believe it's more of a yellow-white than a green-white though. Let me know if you want a piece.

And Tammy I found some nice dark purple daylilies labeled too if you'd be interested in those. Or do you have 'William Guinness' columbine? Saw some of that while I was out too. They're seedlings of my original plant, but I've never had it not come true - yet.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Dana, I would love a white zone day lilly. What would you like for me to bring you?

• Hollyclyff
    11 years ago

Judy - It's yours. How about a salvia lyrata 'Purple knockoff" for a trade?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dana, Perfect - It's already potted up.

See everyone tomorrow.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

Dana, i'd love your seedling daylily! Thank you- that's so generous!! That color is so yummy it's making my mouth water. literally- i have a visceral response to some colors. of course, i love the idea of a grape colored one, william guiness or mag pink dianthus too, but i'll wait on those! LOL! See you soon!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES