Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Greensboro/High Point Area Fall Swap - Oct 7th!!

Posted by rootdiggernc Z-7A NC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 9:51

Is everyone ready? Cuttings rooted, plants divided and potted up? Seeds gathered?

Here's the info...
What: The 1st Fall Swap for the Greensboro/High Point and surrounding area
Where: Oak Hollow Park - Shelter #1 (directions below)
When: Oct 7th 2006
What time : The shelter is ours from 11 to 3. We can get there earlier and I'd like to suggest a 10:30 set up time and we'll start the swapping at 12:00.

We'll stick pretty close to the way we've learned to do things at the Raleigh Swap, so if you've been to that then you have a good idea of how things will be. For those that haven't been, the general idea is everyone places their plants inside the shelter. We all step outside and when the bell is rang we get to grab one plant. Try not to run anyone down (heehee). We'll keep doing that and upping the number of plants you can take until everything is gone.

There are bathrooms and a playground for the kiddies right next to our shelter. Since the playground is right beside the shelter it might be best if the kids are not in the shelter during the main swap. Don't want anyone to get squooshed or hurt.

I don't have John's extensive knowledge of plants so I thought we'd let the people that bring the plants answer any questions that you may have before we begin. If you've arranged a special trade it would be easiest to do that in the parking lot near your cars. We should be small enough to do it this way for now.

You may also bring any garden magazines, nursery pots or anything garden related for the general swap. Vickie has a 'Special Trades' thread started on this board for anyone wanting to do some special swaps!

Instead of a potluck this first time out how about we keep it simpler with finger foods and drinks? Let me know what you all think of that.

Now for the directions!
From east of Greensboro take I-40 west to exit number 210 which is the High Point/PTI Airport exit. Turn left going towards High Point (not towards the airport). Turn right if you're coming from west of Greensboro. This is Hwy 68. It's 5 miles from the exit to the park. You'll see the Drexel Heritage Furniture building on your right and the very next drive/road is it. There's a Law office (Wyatt, Early, Harris and Wheeler) right across the road from it. If you see the sign for the Jesse Haywood Washburn Memorial Dam then you've just passed it. There is a second entrance just past that sign but it takes you to another part of the park..

Once you've found the entrance there are only 2 shelters in this area and we're in #1. This is part of the Oak Hollow Dam/Lake on Hwy 68/Eastchester in High Point.
If you have any questions you can post them here or contact myself or Vickie (Dtpforu). Hope to see everyone there!!

Deborah aka RootDiggerNC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Greensboro/High Point Area Fall Swap - Oct 7th!!

Thanks for setting this up, Deborah. In case we need to have a food list, I'll start off by bringing hummus.

o

Hey Woods, it'll be great to finally meet you. I think we did a snail mail swap years ago! Hummus sounds yummy, I love the stuff. I'll be bringing drinks, ice and napkins and still need to think about what else.

o

BTTT! Also will add cups to what I'm bringing.

o

I'm bringing pumpkin pecan bread with cream cheese swirl. What else can I bring? Do we know how many people will be joining us? I'm really excited. Shannon/Dirtx

o

Shannon, that sounds so good!! I wish I would have had more time to bake something, but with my son moving (he's gone now) and the wedding I just didn't do anything really nice this time around. I may try to pick up some muffins or donuts in the morning.

I went out today and repotted some things and got the plants together, so I'm ready for tomorrow, except for the loading it into the truck. I have a few rooted Frosty Pink Brugs and took some more cuttings from it for anyone that wants to try their hand at it. I still have some spirea, 1 black stem EE, a bunch of Iris cristata, Althea (double blooms) just potted and just barely starting to root, a bronze fennel, a huge 4 o'clock, rhipsalis, monarda, unkwn daylily and irises, hosta, monstera, native yarrow, hardy geranium (it's pretty much gone dormant), hardy ageratum, malva mystic merlin, mini black iris ( I sowed last winter), and if we can find the time in the morning going to dig some black eyed susans and white butterfly ginger. If anyone wants some seed check my list for what I have and let me know asap. Plus I'm bringing buckets!

o

Hope everyone can make it to the swap! Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Thanks,

Vickie

o

FYI Swap is still on. Rain is supposed to move out today. We're in a shelter anyway. Swap rain or shine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here