Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii

trianglejohn
16 years ago

Vickie - I have dianella, the variegated form. I have white lilacs that I believe you were looking for years ago... way back when you loved us more and came to all the swaps... hee hee hee. I actually have a dietes, but it is only one plant and not big enough to divide but in the future...

I am really cleaning house this year so many odds and ends are coming to the swap. I am thinking about posting a long list of what I have so that people can google the names and decide if they have to have them before the swap.

Comments (150)

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Shari, I'll check my email.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thank, vickie, you're a sweetie. is anyone bringing you salvia uliginosa? 'cause i have lots and can bring some. just be careful where you site it- it likes wet, so i'd suggest dry to keep it in check. this year's been no problem of course....

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

Counting the days. A few last-minute possibilities:

I have some rootings of 2 gesneriads that do well as winter houseplants. They are amazing from Feb to May and look good all summer in or out, as long as they have good light. They are very small now but I'm happy to share if someone wants them and swears in blood to keep them above 59 degrees at all times. Both run by stolons and multiply well after January as days get longer. They are:

episcia (Flame Violet) silvery green leaves, orange tubular bloom

a Streptocarpus (Cape Primrose) small greeny-green velvety leaves with a blue tubular bloom.

Also I have a few tuberoses and spring 2007 rootings of double gardenias, Nikko and Endless Summer hydrangeas.

For my greedy purposes, I would love to have some Heuchera that gets really big, red native honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) or creeping wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens).

Here are my swaps:

to Brenda blue Columbine seed for cilantro seed and tiarella seedlings
    to Alicia Carolina Allspice
    to KarenW tuberose for Boone glad
    to Majick Japanese painted fern for wild ginger
    to Nancedar leucothera cuttings for sedums

also,
    to Brenda-near-Eno trilllium and cinnamon fern I owe you.
    to Moka_j0 kalanchoe I owe you.
    to Ratgirl clethera I owe you.
    to RalphW Carolina Allspice I owe you. (In my excitement last spring I left these packed and ready!)

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

tamelask,
    I got salvia uliginosa. Happened upon some the other day while out shopping, so I got it. (Couldn't wait. LOL)

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Carla - here is Bleu Celeste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleu Celeste daylily

• tamelask
    16 years ago

dana that is breathtaking! is there anything i can bring you for a fan of that? if not now, maybe down the road? i have a lot of the very old daylilies, but many are unmarked. so until they bloom, i don't know which are which. i do know i have the species d'amour tourii (which i know i spelled wrong- i so do not know the spelling on that one). i've been trying to label them as they bloom, but have only had so so success.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Woodsworm, I think I have Turk's cap seed (I will check) but I have woodland phlox and Baptisia alba seeds. I'm interested in your Endless Summer hydrangea.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Tam - I'm not sure what a. currasavicas looks like... Color? Tiny a. tuberosa are fine... I can't believe that I don't have any in an orange & purple garden!!

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Dana, I want a fan of that Blue Celeste too! I have a couple of crinums -- one is a white one from Niche which blooms all summer with the rains, and another is a different white one which a lady in La. sent me. I believe that one blooms all summer too in a normal year. I also saw that you want deer and vole resistant stuff -- do you have Hubrect's Blue Star? Mine should have ripe seeds soon.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Dana, joining the queue of Bleu Celeste admirers here. I doubt I have any daylilies you don't to trade, unless you'd be interested in a tetraploid version of H. citrina ("Tetrina") or H. altissima. I'm not completely convinced mine is the true species altissima as it has that darker throat that you don't see pictured on the hemerocallis society websites, but it's still nice. Blooms from July through Sept at ~6 feet in height. I also have some hellebore seedlings from H. niger, H. foetidus, and H. argutifolius I can dig.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok dana- i looked at your list to see what i have that might work for you. i have some gaillardias you hardly ever see at the stores that would fall under the butterfly attractant list. they are 2 colors- deep pink fading to light pink and white with a burg eye. i have lots of seed that's easy (and sorted), and i might be able to get a seedling- but no way to tell what color it'll be. i just thinned my iris cristata and am bringing that. i have a short, lavendar monarda. i noticed you don't have either the perennial creeping heliotrope, or verbena on a stick on your trade list. they both are carefree and attract butterflies, and are lavendar. or, we could catch a few more anoles for you. are yours still hanging around?

magick- a currasavica is probably the prettiest one. form is similar to tuberosum, but rather than solid orange, it's got red bases, with orange centers. common name is bloodflower, and it reblooms throughout the summer. i got my plants from ralph in gallon pots and this is their 2nd or 3rd year. they overwinter jut fine in a cool greenhouse or probably a garage, too. even bloomed some this winter! some say they can winter in the ground here but i've never managed that.

woodsworm, i saw you were asking about leadwort/plumbago on another thread. do you want some? i'll try that episcium again if noone's spoken for it. had some for a long time, then lost it and i've tried a couple times since with no luck. but i haven't tried in a few years, so maybe now... lol

• tamelask
    16 years ago

brenda- i forgot to say i was just checking on cuttings and those chocolate geranium cuttings don't look so good. scenteds are not easy to root, and i was afraid of that. is there something else you'd like instead, or i will try again this winter? i have 3 atomic snowflakes in my plot (lemon scented, with a white edge on a big scallop shape), and after the fair i'd be happy to pass along 1 of those.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Dana, one of the crinums I'll be dividing is actually white with pale pink stripes radiating from the center. Shari, that's the one I dug for you. It has a very nice fragrance, as does the white one from Niche.

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Dana --

Wow, that 'Blue Celeste' is something. I still want to do the primary trade Agave-for-H. citrina. Looks like there's a line now for B.C. but if you have more to spare, maybe you'd like to add something to our trade. I just checked your wish list and notice you want re-blooming bearded iris. I have a purple variety I can share in exchange for B.C. if you're interested.

Carla

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Wow, who knew little ol' Bleu Celeste would be so popular?

Tammy - If you guys can catch some more anoles that would be great. I haven't seen the other guys in a long time. But I haven't seen many lizards at all.

Alicia - could I have some of the Muhlenbergia filipes you mentioned?

Karen - you don't have any more of that sinningia do you?

Carla - how about the 'Golden Delicious' salvia?

Dana

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Dana -- Yes, it's a deal, I'll bring Muhly filipes for you.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Here's another listing of my trades. Let me know if I've left anything out.

Brenda: No. River Oats, So. Lady fern, Native ruellia, Lamium, "Homestead Purple" verbena and Baptisia alba seedling for 2 foamflower, American beautyberry, Black Cohosh and Sweet Betsy.

Magick: Butterfly weed seed, and Sombrueil rose for Confederate jasmine and Climbing Butterscotch.

Rootdigger: Wintersweet (next year), Possamhaw, So. lady fern, Cinnamon fern, Netted Chain Fern, and woodland phlox for cuttings Bridal Wreath, phlox, EE, daylilies, iris

Tammy: Royal fern, Cinnamon fern, Scutellaria ovata and incana, American Snowbell seedling, Beautybush, gardenia and Baptisia for Purple Ruellia, Coral honeysuckle, Rose "Dehlia's Purple", perennial sweet pea, winter honeysuckle, bridal wreath, chickory and cuttings Fantin Latour.

Karen: Florida azalea seedling, Ebony spleenwort, white iris and lavender Stachytarpheta for Salvia patens, S. "Christine Yeo", S. "Betsy's Choice" and Iris pallida

Sally: Native ruellia, pink yarrow and Scutellaria incana for Classic Edge daylily, Canna Princess Di and Sedum Blackjack

Shari: Rooted Rosa "Mutabilis", Rose "Sir Robert Lipton" cuttings (spring trade). "Homestead Purple" verbena, Calamintha nepeta, Catmint, Ornamental Oregano, Eurphorbia corollata, Crinum, Amaryllis, Joe Pye, Hemerocallis citrina and Gardenia seedling for DanaÂs purple salvia, S. chionophylla, Rose "Aloha", S. "Wild Watermelon", Salvia "Indigo Spires", Vitex, Salvia meyeri,rose S. greggii,Buddleia lindeyana and Seven Sisters rose.

Carla (Ratgirl): Baptisia alba for dahlias

Catc: 2 Baptisia for Coreopsis and Penstemon

RalphW: Muhly

TriangleJohn: Lavender Stachytarpheta and 6 Gardenia seedlings for white lilac, Tibouchina, pineapple sage, Disney ginger, dianthus, begonia.

Dogridge: Baptisia alba and Panicum virgatum for iris

Jnhidden: Lilac? or Lavender? for Florida azalea seedling

Vicky: Salvia transylvanica and meadow rue for crinum (?)

Dana: Muhlenbergia filipes for daylily Bleu Celeste

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Dies anyone have any Ostrich fern that they would be willing to trade?

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

tophersmith, I'll have to look. I traded some earlier in the year, and I promised Rootdigger that I would give her a start, but I do have it. Depending on when she wants her start may also decide if I have it now or in the spring. LOL

I still have those 'Royal Respect' LA lily bulblets if anyone would like them.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Dana, I've got your name on S. sellovii, but I've got S. tubiflora if you'd rather have that one. Either way, both are coming to the swap.

Alicia, do you have any more of the crinum with the pale pink stripe to trade (the one you mentioned digging for Shari)? I've got a cute little chrysanthemum with small double dark pink blooms you might be interested in. I don't have an ID on it, but it's most similar to photos I've seen of 'Mei-kyo'. It's a tough little thing, a one cm tip cutting spent about 3 hrs in my pocket and still rooted when I got home.

Here is my current trade summary, but anybody feel free to correct me. I had to search on my name to catch up my list.

Brenda Âsalvias ÂBetsyÂs ChoiceÂ, ÂSan Isidro MoonÂ
    For hardy fuschia (spring), impatiens arguta Blue Dream

Alicia ÂIris pallida, Salvias ÂGuanajuatoÂ, ÂChristine Yeo and ÂBetsyÂs ChoiceÂ, Clitoria mariana
    For flame azalea seedling, old white iris, ebony spleenwort, lavender Stachytarpheta

Rootdigger ÂAgastache ÂShades of OrangeÂ, Salvia ÂChristine YeoÂ
    For purple glad, Musa lasiocarpa

Shari  Salvia regla, orange seedling of van houtteii ÂPaulÂ, Plectranthus saccatus
    For Salvia meyeri, Vitex seedling, Lobelia cardinalis

Tammy ÂSalvia blepharophylla, Salvia ÂBetsyÂs ChoiceÂ, (Passiflora lutea, spring)
    For Veilchenblau cutting, Baptisia tinctoria seed

Woodsworm  Gladiolus ÂBooneÂ
    For tuberose

? Ralph  Clitoria mariana
    For Clitoria ternata

Jean Âsalvia ÂBetsyÂs ChoiceÂ, (passiflora lutea in spring)
    For quince

Carla  glad Boone and Sinningia sellovii
    For crinum Carolina Beauty, Musa Little Prince

Vickie (if you turn out to have more energy than me, ie digging up crinum)Â ruellia humilis, salvia uliginosa, salvia forskaohlei, alstroemeria Sweet Laura (let me know what you want)
    For ÂVickie's momÂs crinumÂ

John  hedychium coccinium (preferably short form, spring)
    For variegated tibouchina (?? red stachytarpheta cutting)

Dogridge  Tinantia pringleii, Euphorbia characias, Pennisetum 'Moudry'
    For Phlox David, blue star creeper, garlic chives

Dana -- Tinantia pringlei, Carex buchananii, Sinningia (sellovii or tubiflora?)
    For Crocosmia Star of the East, H. Bleu Celeste

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Karen - the sellovii was the one I meant. Thanks! I forgot all about the tinantia. What would you like for that?
    Dana

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Karen yes I can dig more crinum. The mum sounds lovely.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

dtpforu, I would love 'Royal Respect' LA lily bulblets, but dont know if I have anything you would want to trade. Bring them to the swap if nothing else, though - I would pick them up.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Dana, I'd love Kosteletzkya virginica if you've got one potted up. I had one that had volunteered but some four-legged creature ate it this summer while I was on vacation, and now I miss it.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

jnhidden,

I'll bring the Royal Respect for you. What about Bluebeard blue mist spirea? Do you have enough of that to share a start?

Thanks,
    Vickie

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am letting the red stachytarpheta bloom so that I can bring blooming sprigs to the swap for folks to take home and root. This year it looks like every branch is blooming so I thought rather than cut them off and try to root them and talk about how pretty the flower are - I'd show ya.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Karen, yes I've already got the Kosteletzkya potted up and ready to go. So I'll put your name on it.
    Dana

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

John, Miss Piggy here says to be sure that I get one of those! I had one last year and loved it! It bloomed for me ALL YEAR UNTIL FROST! Yep, just like the salvias. Bloomed and bloomed and bloomed! I wish I had saved seed from last year, or rooted cuttings in the greenhouse, but, alas, I didn't. So, that said, yep, I want one. Or two. Or three.

OK, I'm going to get out there tomorrow, and see if I can dig up that crinum. Dana, Karen, and Alicia, keep your fingers crossed that I can dig it. :-)

Thanks,
    Vickie

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Question. Can you root stems of the Confederate Rose? I've never tried. I have a Confederate Rose that is 12ft tall. It's cut down to the ground every year and comes back up from the ground and by the time it blooms, it's huge! Would anyone like some cuttings to try to root? I can bring some if you like, not to trade, just to let you try them. Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Confederate rose roots very easily.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Vickie, I'd love to try rooting a Confederate Rose cutting and would be interested in anything unrooted people felt like throwing in at the last minute. I was thinking this morning about cutting back some of my begonias right before the swap and bringing those. It has to be done before they come in for the winter anyway and if I don't give them away now the cuttings will just end up in the compost pile.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

OK, I'll put on my list to clip cuttings of the Confederate Rose on Friday. I'll bring what I can.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

OMG! I have 23 bulbs of this crinum. It took me AND Terry both to get it out of the ground! I'll post pictures later, but hey, I have enough crinums for everyone! LOL

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Fresh out of the ground:
    {{gwi:552749}}

After a bath:
    {{gwi:552751}}

Think we'll have enough?
    {{gwi:552753}}

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Woohoo! I'll be looking for one. Great job Vickie!

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Yay Vicky! Good job!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

shari, i can bring some leadwort for you. how 'bout that for lobelia cardinalis? that's one i can't seem to find the right spot where it'll thrive. but i'll try again. :) i posted on the other therad, but wasn't sure you'd see it. just let me know. thanks, tammy

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Tammy, I have one pot left after trading with Karen. It's not the best looking but I'll put your name on it. It was a 'hunk of seedlings' pot and the outside ones are dying out but I think it'll be fine- plenty of healthy roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

YOu know, it's funny how a plant swap will make you go out and clean up some beds that you didn't realize needed to be cleaned. I have some purple Mexican Petunia, several pots:

{{gwi:552755}}

and a nice size Malva Zebrina and a tiny one:

{{gwi:552756}}.

Now, the Mexican Petunias and the Malva Zebrinia come back for me every year. I've heard some people say that they don't for them. I've had the Malva for 4 years, and it reseeds as well as comes back from the mama plant. The Mexican Petunias come back and even spread for me. I've had them 3 years.

So, I have more to trade. :-)

Vickie

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Posted by tamelask z7 NC (My Page) on Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 8:31

vickie, do you want some? i can bring some to the swap. post on the swap thread if you do.

Tamelask, I would LOVE some!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

I have Daffs for Carla! I have about 30 - 40 bulbs for you. Woodsworm, I have about 9 lycoris for you!

tamelask: 2 ride paper plants and Salvia for Jap Maple and leadwort/plumbago? And toads, toads, and toads. :-)

Triangle John: Elizabeth and about 5 gardenias for dianella variegated, white lilac, 3 tibouchina and red stachytarpheta cuttings?

ratgirl (Carla B): Daffodil bulbs for Hardy gloxinia and Carolina Beauty Crinum

magick: Japanese Painted fern and Chartreuse Sweet Potato Vine for Juncus effusem Unicorn and White Beauty Berry

tophersmith: 2 Rice Paper plants for Lola Red Hot Poker and Jean Pasco Brug

alicia: One of Mom's crinum for Salvia transylvanica and meadow rue

Karen_W: Three of Mom's crinum and confederate rose cuttings for ruella humbus, Alstromeria "Laura", salvia forskaohlei????

jnhidden: Royal Respect lilies for bluebeard blue mist spirea???

Dana: One of Mom's crinum for ????? Do you have any of that crocosmia 'Star of the East' left?

woodsworm: Lycoris promised from Triad swap

Have I missed anyone or anything?

Thanks,

Vickie

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Vicky,
    How about trading one of the purple Ruellia for Muhlenbergia?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Vickie - Is there anything I have on my list that you'd take for some of the Mexican Petunias and Malva Zebrinia? I just cannot get enough purple!!!

• dogridge
    16 years ago

alicia- I have phlox "david" for M. filipes- if you still have it.

Jean- I have phlox, shasta and agastache for sedum, vinca and liriope. The agastache is sort of small, but should bush out in the spring.

Looking forward to the swap.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

alicia, you're on!

magick, how about some glads and wild ginger?

Thanks,

Vickie

• tamelask
    16 years ago

to all who are getting ruellia- mine looks like vickie's pix. yep, i'll be happy to bring both shari and vickie some plumbago. anyone else while i'm digging? vickies, i'd love some of your zebrinia seed, if you can spare some. not had good luck with transplants of that one, but know it reseed lots. so i'm thinking in situ it may do better for me. assuming of course that we ever get rain again to make it germinate.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

tamelask, I'll try and get some seed for you. So far, though, when I go out there to try to harvest some seed, there aren't any. I guess because it's been so dry. I'll keep trying all week, though.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Vickie - You're on!!

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Vickie - yep, I already had you down for the crocosmia.
    Dana

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Dogridge I have you down for Muhly.

Tammy I'd like to get another start of plumbago too. The one from the last swap didn't make it. Let me know what you'd like in return.

Sponsored