Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

o
wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii

Posted by trianglejohn z7b NC (johnbuettner@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 10:18

Vickie - I have dianella, the variegated form. I have white lilacs that I believe you were looking for years ago... way back when you loved us more and came to all the swaps... hee hee hee. I actually have a dietes, but it is only one plant and not big enough to divide but in the future...

I am really cleaning house this year so many odds and ends are coming to the swap. I am thinking about posting a long list of what I have so that people can google the names and decide if they have to have them before the swap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii

Woo Hoo, what would you like to trade for all of the above, John? The dianella, the white lilacs, and I still love you, just have a 4 year old, work full time, and am very active in the AHS club that I'm in. I don't get on the computer much any more. Rootdigger has been working on me, though. (hey, I'm getting old and decrepit - these bones aren't what they used to be). PLUS, on Oct 17th, I start the Master Gardener program in Forsyth county. Maybe I'll be able to rescue bunches of plants and swap them. I've got some Rice paper plant if you'd like some. Hehehehehehehehehehehe
I also think you need to send me that long list first so I can get dibs on it first. :-) Make my trip to the swap REALLY worth an hour and a half drive.
You can go ahead and bring me the dietes if you need to get rid of it. Hahahahahahahahahaha
You do need to come to our swap here, too. If nothing else, just so you can eat some of my chili. If I remember correctly, You pigged out on my chili a couple of years ago.
Let me know what you need or want and I'll see what I can do. I have some Hibiscus Manihot. Daylilies, lilies, a blue salvia, (looks more purple than blue), but it's very pretty and the hummers love it like all salvias. I have gardenias that I rooted and potted up. They cam from a gardenia bush I've had forever. This was the first year I've been able to really root them. OH, and I've got some rice paper plant if you'd like some.
I have "Elizabeth" butterfly ginger. I can jerk one out of the ground for you. A couple of banana's, but rootdigger has dibs on one. I think it's Orinico. I know I have the mama plant and at least one baby, but I may have 2.
Well, let me know. I'll be sure to bring some rice paper plant if you want.

o
More RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii

tamelask "vicky- i don't want to dig up any of my plants, but they have lots of seed set and i could bring that for you. the lady i got mine from had lots of seedlings, so i presume they seed fairly easily. mine just haven't reseeded around much yet." - I'm not sure exactly which one you're talking about, but seeds are good! I like seeds. Let me know what we can trade.

magick, "Vicky - I was looking at your list and noticed you are looking for Juncus effusus Unicorn. I have some that I can bring for you. I was surprised how well it has stood up this summer." Woo Hoo! What would you like in return?

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Hi all -- I've divided and dug some things since fall swap thread #1. Here's an updated list of what I have and what I'm looking for.
Carla B.

Have:
• Redbuds (species)
• American beautyberry (species, purple)
• Alocasia portadora
• Black-stem Elephant Ears
• Musa 'Little Prince'
• Musa Basjoo
• Xanthosoma 'Lime Ginger'
• Shell Ginger (Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata')--this is a dwarf form
• Sinningia, hardy gloxinia
• Sassafras (These are small ones that I've just transplanted and am tending to. I'm sure many of you know this is a difficult feat. That said, I'll put you on the list in case they survive ...)
• Maypops (Passiflora incarnata)
• Clary sage 'Mojito' (Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba) seedlings
• Edgeworthia (just potted two very small suckers, crossing my fingers they'll do well)
• Seedlings of wild columbine
• Canna 'Bengal Tiger' and also C. indica, I think, though the blossoms are all red rather than yellow/red; I have 'Ermine' also but I think I want to wait and divide that in spring
• Salvia elegans (chartreuse-leaf pineapple sage) 'Golden Delicious'
• Flowering almond shrub (small division)
• Stipa tenuissima (mexican feather grass a.k.a. pony tails)
• Lots of plastic pots of various sizes

Looking for:
• Ostrich fern
• Rain lilies
• Echinops ritro (globe thistle)
• Giant alliums
• Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) cultivar 'Tiger eye' aka 'Bailtiger' or the native species
• Gas plant (Dictamnus albus)
• Oriental poppies, any color
• Sealing wax palm (Cyrtostachys lakka, Cyrtostachys renda)
• Baptisia alba (I'm getting one from Alicia but can use another--purple smoke or other baptisias will do also; the bigger the better)
• Spring blooming bulbs
• Gladiolus, dark purples
• Fall veggie starts
• Non-plant things:
• sprayer nozzles for hoses, hoe

o

vicky- i'm so sorry i didn't say what i was offering you seeds of. thalictrum (not sure of the species). guess i thought you could read my mind. i'll try another start of the rice paper plant. it's never worked before, but i'm willing to give it a go again. i'm guessing since you mentioned it 3x in the post to john you have lots. :) tam

o

Woo Hoo, Tam. Well, I have been accused of being somewhat phychic, but hey, it doesn't always work. (Don't tell anyone). Rice Paper Plant is yours. I don't have a lot, I have TONS! In two years, (if we can get one to take), you'll be cussing me.

Carla, I didn't know there was anything like a Sinningia, hardy gloxinia. Can I try that? What would you like to trade for it? I have plenty of daffodils, but don't know the name. As a matter of fact, when I did, I wouldn't know the names anyway. They're EVERYWHERE.

Don't those Japanese Maples ever make babies? I think that would be something that my dh would maybe like for a change. (He does not care for my gardening - he likes his grass). Anybody know/have one?

o

dptforu - I have rice paper and I have the same problem, ya got one ya got a million. I tend to just mow them down to keep them under control.

My dietes was started from seed. Somewhere I have the package with the full name but I have no idea where it is.

My dianella's are kinda small. I have a few of them to choose from. I am not keeping any of them, they never grew much and never made any berries (bloomed in the middle of the winter).

I don't need anything. I need to get rid of things. Something tells me the drought will be around a while and that winter is going to be mild so I am simplifying my life. Oh I will always take gardenia cuttings - I don't care about the cultivar as long as they bloom and smell up the back yard.

I will be bringing Tibouchina's (three types), Durantas (solid gold and gold variegated), Abutilons (mostly Souvenir du Bonn), Hedychium 'Disney', tons of Pineapple Sage... and many more

Oh, I do want whatever that ginger was. I still have the white one you brought years ago and love it. So I have a yellow one, a white one and Disney which is kinda cream colored with a hint of orange in the middle. I want one of the orange ones where the flowers all open at one time and it looks more like a big pinecone. We have plenty of them out at the fairgrounds but I always forget to dig them up.

o

Vickie -- The hardy gloxinia I have was given to me at a swap and is supposed to be this kind/variety:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/04688.html

Now it's important to note that mine has never been upright nor had flowers that look tidy like this! It sort of sprawls all over the ground and sometimes produces flowers. So, either this isn't the kind I have, or I'm doing something wrong. When it does bloom, it smells wonderful. I am happy to share some with you in exchange for whatever daffodils you'd like to part with. I don't care what they're called!

Carla B.

o

Vickie - If you have Bengal Tiger Canna, that would be great, or anything else on my list. Otherwise I'll just bring some for you (I get almost as excited when I actually have something a "veteran" gardener WANTS).

Ratgirl - I'll trade Baptisia 'purple smoke' for some Bengal Tiger Cannas. (Also have a litter of adorable Blues if you're interested)

o

vickie i probably have a jap maple seedling around- i'll look. my bloodgood seeds at a rate of 1 or 2 a year, all in unlikely places. it's probably crossed with a laceleaf- so who knows what you'll get, but they mostly look like bloodgood. i know rice paper is supposed to be very invasive. i plan to put it with my bamboo & they can duke it out. i think the textures will be really nice together. the ones i've gotten before were cut off pieces and rotted before they rooted. any chance for a piece with some root? ironically, boo is hard to get a good start of too- but once you get it.... guess that's nature's way of keeping some of the thuggier things in check. now, if that only worked with gooseneck lysamachia, oenethera or physostegia (all of which i love and curse in equal measures). lol. which blue/purple salvia is it? i don't need any black & blue, but most anything else i'll be happy to take in trade.

o

magick,

I thought you were coming by last week, please let me know if sometime this week would be better.

o

Topher - OMG I am so sorry!!! School (plus work) has been exhausting. I'll give you a call tonight and see what works for you.

o

Magick -- Purple Smoke for Bengal Tigers sounds great. I should be able to provide two or three plants (clumps).

TO EVERYONE: I forgot to post that I also have several Crinums ('Carolina Beauty')

o

Carla, I'd love a 'Carolina Beauty'! I don't have anything on the want list you posted above, so what could I offer you in return? I have a species Hippeastrum (H. blossfeldiae) that I could take an offset from -- it's not hardy so you'd have to pot it and store it dormant over the winter. I also have Sinningia sellovi, which is hardy.

o

Karen -- Do you still have any Boone glads? I got one from either you or Martha Sue last year or year before and it has perished (it was in a pot that got lost in the garden and succumbed to drought! Bad me). If not, then the Sinningia sounds good. I wonder if it'll stand up straight for me, unlike the S. tubiflora. Do you have trouble with, mmm, "floppage"?

Carla

o
floppy - what????

Well this thread has slid into the gutter!

Are we still talking about plants?

Must be something in the soil because all my gesnerids stand tall and proud. See how easy that is? I could've so easily gone for the "e" word. I get points for restraint, don't I?

o

OK, major spit-take. Thanks, John. Now my keyboard is covered in Diet Sun Drop. I see now that my attempt at avoiding the "e" word produced something even more suggestive. I should have said that my sinningias are "shy." Why doesn't the vertical orientation of your gesnerids surprise me? And yes, I'm still talking about plants. I can't be responsible for where your mind travels. tee-hee

o

Gutter? The drought killed my gutter garden, so now I don't have to worry so much about getting up there and cleaning it out. Or am I off on another tangent? So hard to keep track.

Carla, I can bring you Gladiolus 'Boone', no problem. I think the one last year was from me, and your Sinningia tubiflora was from Martha Sue. I got a cutting of it from her too, although I got mine planted out late and can't comment yet on its habit. My S. sellovii is quite 'proud', though.

o

Carla- what kind of spring bulbs are you looking for? I'd love to have one of you crinums and would gladly get you some bulbs in exchange. I also have some Zephyranthes candida. If you are interested in daylilies at all I'll email you a list of possible trades- I have newly shipped DLs coming out of my ears.

o

John,
Along with the dianella and the white lilac, I'm going to be a pig. (I got a late start) I would love any and all kinds of Tibouchina's since you're getting rid of them - actually one of each will do. :-) And one of each of your Durantas. Would love some Disney. I'll bring you the Elizabeth ginger, don't have any pinecone gingers ready to share yet. Planted several this year, though. Maybe next year. Also will bring you several gardenias. How many would you like? (be careful what you wish for) - oh, did you say you wanted some Rice Paper plant?

Carla, I'll bring you a bunch of daffs for some of the hardy gloxinia. That is beautiful. If it sprawls, well, it sprawls. LOL I'll try to get the daffs from different parts of the yard so you'll have a little variety. I know there are some whites out there as well as yellows. Uh oh, I just noticed that you posted that you have 'Carolina Beauty' Crinum. I don't have that one, hint, hint.

magick, I'm sorry, I don't have Bengal Tiger Canna. I have one that blooms pink, I have Richard Wallace (yellow), and some red ones. I might be able to get you a start of the Japanese Painted Fern. I've had it for 2 years now and it seems to have spread. Would it be too much to ask for one of your white Beauty Berry Seedlings to go with the Juncus seed?

tamelask, I would love the jap maple, no matter what it is crossed with. I'll pot it up and present it to my dh and see if he plants it. If not, I'll plant it myself, in the most unlikliest place. (middle of the front yard). That should be a very interesting contrast - the bamboo and RPP.

tophersmith, I noticed that you're looking for some Hybrid daylily seeds. I have some. I have some that I don't know what the crosses are, but then I do have some that I have the crosses marked. I also have some crinum that I brought from my mother's house in FL that have survived up here. They're planted next to the front porch, so that may be why. They're red. Beautiful. HOWEVER, I broke 2 shovels digging them in FL several years ago, and they were growing in sand. I haven't a clue how easy/hard it would be to dig them here. I need to, as the clump is now about a foot in diameter. Would you care to trade? I'm interested in some Lola Red Hot Poker, Jean Pasco Brug, Dr Seuss Brug, Charles Grimaldi Brug (I got one from Ralph last year, but it didn't make it), Miami Orange Glow, Shredded White and the Double white. Any, all, none. LOL I'll get out there tomorrow evening and see if I can dig those crinum. I've added a link of the picture of them.

OK, Let me know you guys. Gotta dig dig dig. I'm behind.

Anybody want some Rice Paper Plant? LOL

Thanks,

Vickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Crinum

o

Shari -- The Zephyranthes sounds good--or any other spring bulbs. The only things I don't like messing with are hybrid tulips. I'm not picky.

Vickie -- I'll bring you a 'Carolina Beauty' crinum too.

Carla

o

Thanks Carla! I've been wanting some daffs so I may do some bulb shoping between now and then. Not sure what other spring bloomers I could buy for myself- voles are an issue for me unfortunately.

o

Carla, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

shari1332, daffs are wonderful, not only for their beautiful flowers, but also because voles won't bother them! NOTHING will bother a daff bulb! I have so many, because I have them interspersed around all my other flowers and bulbs. If something starts digging, they ususally get to a daff first and then get discouraged and go elsewhere.

o

Vickie - if you manage to dig up any of that beautiful crinum, I'd love to trade something for a piece of it. I can relate to the difficulty of digging it up though. I dug some from my grandmother's house and nearly killed myself in the process.
Dana

o

Vickie - I have plenty of the white beauty berry!! Please take some... what doesn't get claimed is going into the general swap, and I'll still have plenty at home! The Juncus I'm bringing is a plant, not seed (just so you know). I would love Japanese Painted Fern (I've already killed one in the drought) and I wouldn't mind some Chartreuse Sweet Potato Vine either. I LOVE that color!!!

o

vickie- being as the maple will only be about 4" tall, i don't think i'd do the middle of the front yard just yet! lol. 'bloodgood' does grow fast, though- especially about the 3rd or 4th year- watch out! that crimun is gorgeous. it reminds me of 'ellen bosanquet'.

oh- carla- my sinningula flops, too. the coral red one is more upright. you guys make me howl. :)

o

Vicky if you manage to get the crinum dug I want a piece too! I have Salvia transylvanica.

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii rue

What species of meadow rue are you looking for? I have one that grows wild here which has creamy white flowers. I think it's Thalictrum pubescens. I also have Thalictrum rochebrunianum, lavender mist meadow rue.

o

ratgirl
Carla,

Do you have anymore Carolina Beauty Crinum?

o
Rice Paper Plant

dtpforu

I would like to try one of these, I think it would do well next to my Casta Bean plants

o

Topher - It was a real pleasure to meet you & visit your gardens!! I've already planted the Ruellia. The Cannas will go in tomorrow. You've got me considering a more tropical look - I love the banana near your house. Thanks again :)

o

Tonya,
Any time, and if there is anyone else out there who would like to come by you are more than welcome.

o

Vickie, add me to the list of admirers lusting after your mom's crinum. If you do decide to wrestle it out before the swap, I've got Ruellia humilis, Alstroemeria Sweet Laura, Salvia uliginosa and Salvia forskaohlei that you noted on your wish list on your member's page.

o

Topher --

Yes to the crinum for you. I'm going to be digging and moving a large clump, so it shouldn't be a problem to get more offshoot bulbs.

Carla

o

Tammy I can't remember if you saw my post -- I want one of your perennial sweet peas.

John, want some gardenia seedlings? If so I want some of your Tibouchina, pineapple sage and Disney ginger.

I am looking for a blue baptisia and a white fragrant Dianthus.

o

alicia7b - yes to the gardenias for Tibouchina, Pineapple Sage and Gingers. I have three types of Tibouchinas (big leaved, narrow leaved, variegated) and plan on bringing plenty of it to the swap. It roots so easily from cuttings I could just bring a bucket full of them and hand them out. They are one of those flowers that will form roots in a vase of water as a flower bouquet. Didn't you want a begonia? was it the pink polka dotted one? Strawberry Frost I think. I have some to bring. I have plenty of the Pineapple sage also. Somewhere I have the yellow leaved form but it doesn't do as well in my yard as the regular.

I have a ton of Dianthus but I don't think any of them are white. Most are this year seedlings so they will bloom next year.

o

Yes please bring the begonia. Some of the Dianthus too. Is your pineapple sage hardy?

o

alicia, i did see that and will mark it down- sorry if i didn't confirm. i have a couple white fragrant dianthus, but have never had much luck with rooting (and have been told that one in particular doesn't root well- 'mrs. simpkins'). anyhow, i can keep seed for you next time they bloom if you want. if you want to try a cutting, i'll see if i can get a piece of mrs. simpkins. only problem is i have a bunch of dianthus together and you might end up with the wrong one since very few are blooming right this minute. it's amazingly fragrant, has short, quite blue foliage (looks like bath's pink, which is what i'm afraid i'll grab instead) and has double white flowers in spring. i haven't seen it rebloom. i had another taller one with super ripped/fringed petals, 'fantasy' i think, but am pretty sure it's one of the ones that bit the dust for me this summer. i love that class or type because they are so pretty and fragrant, but they seem to be less long lived than many of the others.

o

It is hardy in my yard but you have to grow it in place until it gets a woody stem to ensure that it survives. What I am bringing will be last years fall cuttings that have rooted well but I still wouldn't expect them to overwinter planted this late. It emerges late in the spring. It is so easy from cuttings that I wouldn't worry about hardiness. Just take a few cuttings each fall and keep them inside as houseplants - if da mama dies, you got backup. Someday someone will develop one that blooms earlier in the year. Right now they usually bloom after all the hummingbirds have flown south.

o

Tammy, I can wait for seed, thank you.

John, I always had to overwinter cuttings of pineapple sage anyway, but forgot to last year. I missed having it this year.

o

John, I'd love a variegated Tibouchina if you have enough. I've got one of those pine cone looking orange gingers and would be glad to dig you a piece in the spring, but at the moment it's 8-9 feet tall and I don't have the energy to tackle that. I'm not positive what it is, but it was labeled Hedychium aurantiacum when I bought it. I've also just got a small version from my dad with similar flower spike but only about 2-3 feet in height. It'll be another year before I can split anything off of that one, but I'm hoping it will stay as small as it does for him.

o

Karen - deal! but I would prefer to wait for the short version if it holds true. I don't have much room left for monster big plants.

I'll bring you a couple of variegated princess flowers. I believe the variegated form is derived from the 'Athens Blue' cultivar. The flowers are a bit bigger and purply-er, but the plant is leggy and sprawling. It is not my favorite for a patio pot plant for that reason. In my opinion the big leaf form is the best (Tibouchina grandifolia I believe) but it doesn't bloom for me every year. It is on fire with flowers right now.

o

alicia, either or both of the meadow rue would be wonderful! I'll let you chose. :-) and would LOVE the salvia transylvanica. Before I promise too many of the crinums, lets see if I can get them dug. You will need to have a rather large space for them. The bulb I bought home from my Mom's was the size of a softball (dont' know if they'll get that big up here). The leave are at least 3' long and the blooms stand almost 5'. I'm 5'5" and they're almost as tall as me.

tophersmith, what are we trading? some of the crinum?

Karen, you got it - if I get them dug.

Dana, you too, IF I get them dug.

This is going to be a major undertaking.

o

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any Stuttgart Canna they are willing to part with?

o

I don't have Stuttgart, and since all my cannas are virused I won't be trading them - but where I used to work they had Stuttgart and it was very difficult in this area. It likes cool weather. The leaves fry in the heat (90 and above) regardless of whether its in the shade or not. Looks good in the spring and fall though and some people have succeeded with it (but I think they lived up in the mountains). I saw another white variegated form was developed a few years ago but now it seems to have disappeared.

o

Catc I'd forgotten to put you on my exchange page but I still have you down for 2 baptisia.

o

Karen,

Is there something else of mine you'd like in exchange for a piece of your Sinningia sellovii? I've been looking at the photo on PDN's Web site and I'm pretty tempted, especially if it is 'proud'. We already have a trade going for 'Boone'. I can give you an extra helping of the Crinum.

Carla

o

Tammy, weren't you looking for a single-flowered gardenia last year? Mine are seedlings from a single-flowering plant.

I don't think the scutellaria are going to be fair-ready. The S. incana took a hit when it was transplanted out of the ground, and the S. ovata, although healthy, is not yet growing much. However, S. incana is a superb part-shade plant. S. ovata I don't know about, as these are the first I've grown from seed.

o

yes, i was looking for a single gardenia. i'd love one. i'll take whatever you have scutellaria wise. whatever isn't ready isn't ready- don't sweat it. we can always do it next go round. thanks! t

o

Tammy do you still want the scutellarias for your own gardenia even if they're not ready for the fair? The S. incana's in a 2 gallon container but if it won't look good enough for the fair I can divide it up so there's more to go around. I have a young S. integrifolia that's looking like the best fair candidate so far.

o

oh, sure- that will be fine. since the fair is just days after the swap, unless i plan well and the plant is super ready, it probably won't work. not sure if scutellaria has tea apps anyhow, and i'm doing ok with fair stuff, so that works out well. thanks!

o

dtpforu

No although I like those as well, I was refering to your Rice paper plant.

o

Topher,

OK, I wasn't sure. LOL, Rice Paper Plant it is! What did you want to trade for it. I don't expect all of what I listed. (just half of it) Just kidding.

o

Does anyone have extra phlox David?

o

alicia- I have plenty. I am looking for full sun ground covers, grasses and other tough, deer resistant plants.

o

Great. I can get divisions of any and all of these grasses: Muhlenbergia capillaris and filipes, blue love grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln', Panicum virgatum "Cloud Nine", Mexican feather grass and No. River Oats.

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii plus

Plus I have several regular-sized Panicum virgatum too.

o
help!!!!!

I have SLUGS! In the greenhouse! Can I trade for FROGS and Lizards?????? Anyone got any they want to share? Any Pond people out there? LOL Please check my trade list and see if there's anything you would like to trade for some.

Thanks so much!

Vickie

o

We need lots of frogs and Rootdigger needs some, too! Lots of lizards. Since they're going to be in a greenhouse, it won't matter if it's close to winter. I'll just keep the heater contained so that we won't get fried critters for dinner.

We've got a funny story to tell you all, too. I'll let rootdigger tell you. The big hint is that I'm really getting old! (sigh) - rootdigger? what you got to trade for frogs and lizards and YOU tell the story! LOL Old decrepit me!

o

I don't know about frogs, but I have millions of toads!! I'd be happy to bring some if anyone wants them.

o
RE: Lizards

Here is one of my favorite lizards, we should have several more in about 4 months!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lizard

o

Ummmm....... Beautiful creature but she? could have the greenhouse all to herself, lol... cause I sure wouldn't be in there. Little lizards I can hang with.

So, I am now the very proud owner (yet to be assembled) of a greenhouse.... yippee (insert happy dance here). I'm dangerous now!

Vickie do you really want me to tell everyone that you took a swan dive in the parking lot, lol... We've decided she needs training wheels! Something with some of those neon pink or orange tennis balls. *grin* She's bruised and battered but OK, or I wouldn't tease her.

I think I'm good on toads, but wouldn't mind a 'small' lizard that would winter well in a greenhouse. Not sure what that would be though. John, what kind did you keep in your closet?

o

Probably anoles... I'll see what I can catch between now & the swap.

She isn't up for trade anyway... Hubby would file for divorce faster than I could blink. She tear up the plants & dig burrows worse than any vole you can imagine.

You should consider button quail for your green house though. They will eat pesky insects including slugs. They are TINY and cute too!

Here are 3 ADULTS, about the size of a lemon & full grown!

Here is a link that might be useful: Button Quail

o

Oh, button quail? won't they fly away when the greenhouse is open? I guess I could put a screen on the vents and a screen door on the doors. :-) My greenhouse stays open completely in the summer. I'll close it up once the nights start getting lower than 52. magick, that lizard is so cool! Anyway, I would love some toads and anoles if you can catch some. Got kids? We have a project for the kids! Woo Hoo! LOL
I have a huge tadpole in my fish tank, but it's one of those African Water Toads and I don't think he'll live in the greenhouse. :-)
Thanks,

Vickie

o

Vickie - I'll bring some toads. I'm not sure what your yard/setup is like. I had some free range chickens here that just hung around my yard without wandering off. I'd think the quail would be too tempting for hawks & owls. I keep them on the floor of a small aviary inside. But they love to chase down bugs.
We don't have human kids yet... who has the room? We have so many pets we barely fit in the house as it is! The Argus monitor (the lizard) is one of a pair - and over 3' long! We also have Bearded Dragons, Ackie monitors, Ball Pythons, pet rats, birds, fish, a lab, a Great Dane, and a Siamese cat! We are the "favorite" Aunt & Uncle though ;)

o

Oh my, magick! You have a ZOO! I bet it's tons of fun at your house! I need to visit! I want to play with all those babies. I'll bring Coco so he can chase them all around, too. Yeah, you're right, you don't have room for human kids. LOL
Thanks for the toads. I can't wait to introduce them to all the wonderful foodstuffs in my greenhouse. They'll be VERY happy there. :-)

o
Anoles

For those of you that are interested in anole capture, I have included an interesting little article for your reading pleasure!

Here is a link that might be useful: anole rescue

o

Ohhh, I want a greenhouse just so I can have some of those cute little quail living in it! We got some chickens partly for bug patrol, but now I'm so attached to them I couldn't possibly let them free range with all the hawks and other predators we have. Once I found a hawk sitting on top the screened run with the poor chickies hiding in a corner underneath.
Our lizard population is really low this summer for some reason or I'd offer you some. I've only seen a couple of skinks in the last few weeks and there are usually tons of those. I saw one tiny baby fence lizard last week and that was the first fence lizard I'd seen for months. I hope they bounce back. I sure miss them hanging around.
How about this guy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparky

o

Hollyclyff - Sparky is BEAUTIFUL!!! Okay... I couldn't resist looking at the other photos :) I love your chicken coop. Did you build it yourself? Do you have the plans for it?
To make this garden related... Topher I finally got the Cannas in the ground & the Ruellia has been blooming non-stop. Thanks again!!

o

Thanks Magick. The coop started life as a swing set. No plans other than what was in my head. I added a few more pictures, including a couple taken during construction. We just left the swing set where it was and started adding on to it. It's crooked and it's not level, but it works. It's biggest fault is that it's not big enough to hold more chickens!

Oh, and back on topic - I could use more ornamental grasses that aren't invasive.

Dana

o

the button quail are adorable! what fun.
i can bring toads, too, if anyone wants some (or more). some of the advice in that care sheet for anoles wasn't so great- if you read it, make sure you read the whole thing, esp the comments at the end. we put some of those and green tree frogs in our greenhouse over winter and they seem to really enjoy it. i don't know that they really help with bugs, but they sure are fun to watch! even after we opened it up and screened it for summer, they stayed close.

dana, those fence lizards we swapped in the spring are so funny! we kept them, since we just couldn't let them loose. at first the little one was the skittish one, but now he's so tame you can pick him right up and he rides around like a live pin on your shirt. no interest in escaping at all- just loves watching everything & being stroked- i guess he figures he's got it made! the bigger one struggles and bites- so, totally different personality. they are both fat enough to live off their stores for a long, long time- little pigs. sparky is gorgeous! he must be an albino beardy- those colors are so pretty.

a note to whomever i'm getting ruellia for- it's gotten taller this year than in the past. i said 18", and the bulk of it's closer to 2' this yr, but 1 stem is 2.5, approaching 3'. it must like the dry weather- 'cause i haven't watered that spot at all this summer.
i have to go back and update my lists again. will post it soon so people can double check.

o

dogridge,
I would love to trade liriope and a couple of sedums for
agastache sunset, white phlox, and shasta daisy. We are already trading a few rue for some varigated vinca, and can also bring you green vinca if you want some of that also. Thanks! Jean

o

Tam - I think the Ruellia is for me. No worries on the height - I just love the constant purple blooms!

At the rate I'm going, and the gardening gods willing, stage one of my garden evolution might actually take shape by the end of spring '08!! A HUGE thank you to all the GW swappers & everyone here for the awesome advice and encouragement.

o

John, I should be able to get you some of the short form orange pine cone ginger next year. If mine doesn't multiply fast enough I'll just get my dad to bring me some more. I tied ribbons around several of his when I was down in FL recently. They were blooming and I marked the ones I wanted divisions from, but this one was small enough to box up for the flight home. BTW, I'm jealous that your Tibouchina grandifolia is in bloom. Mine is still just being a cool foliage plant.

Carla, I'd love to try Musa 'Little Prince' if you think that's a fair trade for the Sinningia. I've got several started so I could bring you more than one, or we could find something else to add.

Dana, I just potted up a small Carex buchananii from my front garden if you're interested. It seeds off locally for me in one particular spot where it's very happy but I wouldn't call it invasive. I'm interested in your Crocosmia 'Star of the East'. Alternatively, I could try to stick a cutting from my Begonia boliviensis. It fell on hard times for a while but is recovering and I think I could take some cuttings.

I need to talk greenhouses at the swap. I may (fingers crossed) actually see it happen this fall and need to hash out my details. So anybody who's got one, be prepared for questions ... lots of questions.

o

Karen - how's the drought tolerance of the carex? I looked it up and it says it likes moist soil? I'm looking for grasses specifically for a spot that's difficult to water. Otherwise I'd love the begonia.
Dana

o

Dana, you have Crocosmia 'Star of the East'???? You're holding out! LOL I would LOVE a start of that if you have any to spare. And Sparky, man, he's the BOMB! I LOVE him. He looks so HAPPY eating that bug! Isn't it funny how plant people love our critters, too? Maybe I can get some fence lizards in the spring. I bet it's been so hot and dry that the population has decreases somewhat. Of course, since magick commented on your chicken coop, I had to go back and look, too. That is awesome. You do have quite the imagination!

magick, the button quail are just too too cute. I would end up losing them, though. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could have a HUGE greenhouse so we could have our plants, and our critters all together?

tamelask, bring on the toads. I'll take all I can get. I love toads and frogs (and have collected the little boogers for years and years now - about 20 actually), and love to hear them. I'm going to put a half barrel liner in the gh this winter, so they'll have plenty of places to play. And I'm sure there's plenty of bugs in there to sustain them!
Vickie

o

Dana, C. buchananii has been happiest for me in a sunny spot although it will survive in shade. None of them get watered on any regular basis, and the ones in the front where I dug this have only been watered once this summer. I've got other grasses that have been very drought tolerant, some in sun and some in shade, but won't be digging any of them until spring. I'd be glad to put some aside for you then. Pennisetum 'Karley Rose' is at the top of my hit list for spring.

o

Magick - OK, sounds like the carex can handle where I want to put it, so it's a deal for the crocosmia.

Vickie - I can bring you some of the crocosmia also. I've got to warn both of you that it looks kind of raggedy at the moment.

And thanks for the compliments on the Spark-monster. I tell him every day how handsome he is.

Dana

o

Dana, it's me with the carex. I may try to take some cuttings of the Begonia before the swap too. They won't have time to root well, but I can bring them as is if you want. Karen

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades - oops

Oops, sorry! I don't know where I left my brain this morning!
Dana

o
Rice Paper Plant

dtpforu
Please see my list as I do not have anything from your trade list.

o

tophersmith,

I'm interested in any of the following if you have some left: Lola Red Hot Poker, Jean Pasco Brug, Miami Orange Glow, Shredded White and the Double white. Any, all, none. :-)

Thanks,
Vickie
(I've attached a picture of what the rice paper plant looks like when it gets big!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Paper Plant

o
RE: wanted: Arranged Trades

I want to be organized this time, so here is a list of the trades I have set up (as far as I know):

User NameIncomingOutgoing
jnhiddenLavender ???
TriangleJohnWeeping WillowRooted Gardenias
RatGirlBengal Tiger CannaBaptisia 'Purple Smoke'
HollyclyffBengal Tiger CannaBaptisia 'Purple Smoke'
WormswoodJapanese Painted FernWild Ginger
brenda_near_enoPurple Beauty Berrynon-Christmas Fern
Alicia7bButterfly Weed seeds
Sombreuil Cuttings
Confederate Jasmine Cuttings*
Butterscotch Rose Cuttings*
RootDiggerNCWhite Butterfly Ginger
Pussy Willow Cuttings
Black Stem EE
White Beauty Berry Seedlings
Confederate Jasmine Cuttings*
Mickey Mouse EE
Small Waterfall Maple
TamelaskToadlily
Ruellia
Butterfly Weed Seedlings
baptisia 'purple smoke'
Picasso Calla
dtpforuSweet Potato Vine
Japanese Painted Fern
White Beauty Berry
Juncus effusus Unicorn

Please let me know if I missed someone or have something notated wrong. This is the list I'll be going by when I pack up to go to the swap! *Please note that I failed miserably at rooting cuttings, I'll be bringing fresh, unrooted cuttings. If you'd rather not have unrooted cuttings, let me know.

o
Arranged Trades

magick,

You missed the Hydranga for me

o
Rice Paper Plant

dtpforu
Vickie,
That's the one it will look great next to my Casta Bean plant.

Outside of the Jean Pasco Brug the other Brugs are temperamental (not 100% will root) . Si we ould go with Lola and Jean Pasco. How big is the Rice Paper plant now?

o

Magick, I would like to try your White Beauty Berry. Thanks!

Wormswood, do you have another Japanese Painted Fern to trade for my Wild Ginger, if you are interested?

o

magick- sounds good except i didn't have the seedling acslepias noted. i can grab a couple really small ones. they're hard to dig unless they are small. i have a bunch of a. currasavicas coming up in a pot if you want some of those. they aren't winter hardy- you'd need to keep them in a cool greenhouse or garage. just lmk. thanks.

alicia- the bridal wreath spirea cuttings aren't looking so hot. i can bring fresh cuttings if they completely peter out in the next 2 weeks. it looks as though at least a couple of the coral honeysuckle and winter honeysuckle have taken. whew! i was worried.

ok- here's my updated list of trades:
if there's a question mark by your name it's because i don't know for sure you're coming or if our trade is ok with you.

Amyflora: poppy seed, larkspur seed, nigella seed, chicory seed or plants
Brenda: kiwi cuttings, plectranthuses, ruellia, choc mint geranium, columbine seedlings
for roof iris seedlings, s. koyame, 'blue dream' & zombensis impatiens, sourwood
Dogridge/Krystol: gobs of vinca, chinese sedum, cleome seeds
for blue star creeper, agastache, boulder?
Root: carolina jessamine, coltsfoot, jewelweed seed,
for fo-ti,black stem ee, paph, hib, milk thistle seed, phlox?
Karen: veilchenblau cuttings, seed for baptisia tinctorium,
for passiflora lutea (spring), salvia blepharophylla, salvia 'betsy's choice'
Alicia: Fantin Latour cuttings, Purple Ruellia, Coral honeysuckle, winter honeysuckle, Rose "Dehlia's Purple", bridal wreath, chicory plants, perennial sweet pea
for Royal fern, Cinnamon fern, Scutellaria ovata and incana, American Snowbell seedling, Beautybush and Baptisia 'alba' , single flowering gardenia
Magick: toadlily, ruellia, butterfly weed seedlings (small)
for 'purple smoke' baptisia, calla lily
Jean: veilchenblau cutting, asc tuberosum seeds,
Ralph? : gaillardia seedlings (red and pink)
for double blue clitoria?
Haliwa?: cuttings of oakleaf hydrangea, sweet betsy, seedling beautyberry, redbud?,
for 'tanukeyama' jap maple
Vickie: toads, thalictrum seed, bloodgood maple seedling,
for rice paper plant, purple salvia?

i tried to go back through and double check everything, but please let me know if i have any of it wrong. thanks!

o

Hi all --

Here's my complete list of special trades. Please let me know if I left out anyone or got any of the trades wrong.

Carla

<> WOODSWORM: Your Clethra for my previous trade

<> ALICIA: Your Baptisia alba for my dahlias

<> HOLLYCLYFF: Your daylily for my agave (we didn't discuss what kind of daylily--do you by chance have one of the older, smaller-flowered fragrant ones?)

<> BRENDA: Your Hypericum 'Albury' for my Salvia viscosa

<> DTPFORU: Your daffs for my Sinningia tubiflora and Crinum 'Carolina Beauty'

<> KAREN: Your Gladiolus 'Boone' and Sinningia sellovii for my Crinum 'Carolina Beauty' and Musa 'Little Prince'(Brenda--this trade is fine. I have plenty.)

<> TOPHERSMITH: Your ??? for my Crinum 'Carolina Beauty'

<> MAGICK: Your Baptisia 'Purple Smoke' for my Bengal tiger cannas

<> SHARI: Your Zephyranthes candida for my Crinum 'Carolina Beauty'

o

Updated Trade List for Topher & jnhidden.

o

Magick and Tammy, Those look fine to me!

Here's my list....

Alicia - phlox, BW cuttings, EE, Iris and Daylilies for ferns, possamhaw, woodland phlox and wintersweet

Brenda - rain lilies, S.lovechild for J.beech fern, and glads

Dana - reedgrass for sweet autumn clematis

Jean/Jnhidden - rocks and spearmint for fennel and lemon balm

Karen - Agastache rupestris, salvia 'Christine Yeo' for glads and chinese banana

Magick - mickey mouse EE, wht BB, star confederate jasmine for Blk stem EE, wht BB ginger, pussy willow

Nancydar - toadlilies

Sally/Keithrnjd - upright dwarf ee for hibiscus AH (was there something else?)

Sharil - Iron Cross oxalis for EE's and DL's

Tammy - JW seed, coltsfoot, Carolina jasmine for hibiscus HA, phlox, blk stem ee, paph, fo-ti, milk thistle seed

Tophersmith - brugs (later date) and dwarf peach for C.emperor, crinum and variegated hymenocallis littoralis and another regular spider lily

I think that's everything and everyone! Let me know if I've forgotten something.

o

Carla - I've got a nocturnal species daylily that is fragrant - Hemerocallis citrina. Other than that nothing that I can think of that's fragrant. Siloam David Kirchoff is probably the nicest small flowered one that I have available right now, but not fragrant. A few other older ones I could bring are Gentle Shepherd, Prairie Blue Eyes and a really old one called Bleu Celeste (purple bitone). Is there any particular color you like?
Dana

o

I'm out of town till swap day, and the fuchsia cuttings (3rd batch) did not look good when I left last week. So if I promised you one, you may want to give me a substitute, or I'll find something special for you - fuchsia rooted well last sprig, so assume I can get those to you next swap. Sorry.

o

Brenda, I'll swap for an American beautyberry instead.

Rootdigger, I won't have a Wintersweet this fall, but I will get cuttings from the one I still have (it's only about 2" high now) next year.

o

Alicia, Yes I remember that and honestly wasn't trying to hurry you, just had it on my list. Not a problem if it needs to wait longer, especially since yours is still a baby!

o

tophersmith,

I have all the rice paper plants in 6" pots right now. I cut all the leaves back as they go into shock really bad. But they all have a really good root system on them and I'm only trading them with you and also tamelask. I'm bringing 4 so I thought 2 of each so you hopefully will get at least one out of the 2 to grow. So the Jean Pasco Brug and the Lola would be great!

Thanks,

Vickie

o

vickie- i just made an unwelcome discovery. the thalictrum hadn't set seed after all- it was just the remains of the little blooms. so don't bring the purple salvia for me. the little maple's already potted and ready to go. sorry. at least you're getting plants from someone else. maybe it'll set viable seed next year if it's not so dry. thanks for bringing 2 rice papers.

o

Dana --

The Hemerocallis citrina would be excellent!

I'm curious about Bleu Celeste. I did a google search and couldn't find a photo. Do you have a photo?

Carla

o

tamelask,

Not a problem. I can still bring the purple salvia. I'm just going to pull a 6' piece out of the ground the day of the swap and bring it. :-) You're welcome to it. Hummers love it and wait until I pass to get to it. Bumbles love it, too!

o
Look what I found . . .

Hi guys, I was cleaning out a bed back here this past weekend, and while pulling up some misplaced plants, I happened to pull up some 'Royal Respect' LA lilies. I replanted the Mama bulb, but harvested the little babies. I potted them up this evening, as they were beginning to dry out some. (Imagine that with this weather we're having). I got about 8 and put them all in a little 4" pot. What 'cha got that I need for them? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

o
Oops

OH, I forgot. 'Here's a link of Royal Respect'

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Respect

o

Alicia, did you get my email?

o

Shari, I'll check my email.

o

thank, vickie, you're a sweetie. is anyone bringing you salvia uliginosa? 'cause i have lots and can bring some. just be careful where you site it- it likes wet, so i'd suggest dry to keep it in check. this year's been no problem of course....

o

Counting the days. A few last-minute possibilities:

I have some rootings of 2 gesneriads that do well as winter houseplants. They are amazing from Feb to May and look good all summer in or out, as long as they have good light. They are very small now but I'm happy to share if someone wants them and swears in blood to keep them above 59 degrees at all times. Both run by stolons and multiply well after January as days get longer. They are:

episcia (Flame Violet) silvery green leaves, orange tubular bloom

a Streptocarpus (Cape Primrose) small greeny-green velvety leaves with a blue tubular bloom.

Also I have a few tuberoses and spring 2007 rootings of double gardenias, Nikko and Endless Summer hydrangeas.

For my greedy purposes, I would love to have some Heuchera that gets really big, red native honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) or creeping wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens).

Here are my swaps:

to Brenda blue Columbine seed for cilantro seed and tiarella seedlings
to Alicia Carolina Allspice
to KarenW tuberose for Boone glad
to Majick Japanese painted fern for wild ginger
to Nancedar leucothera cuttings for sedums

also,
to Brenda-near-Eno trilllium and cinnamon fern I owe you.
to Moka_j0 kalanchoe I owe you.
to Ratgirl clethera I owe you.
to RalphW Carolina Allspice I owe you. (In my excitement last spring I left these packed and ready!)

o

tamelask,
I got salvia uliginosa. Happened upon some the other day while out shopping, so I got it. (Couldn't wait. LOL)

o

Carla - here is Bleu Celeste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleu Celeste daylily

o

dana that is breathtaking! is there anything i can bring you for a fan of that? if not now, maybe down the road? i have a lot of the very old daylilies, but many are unmarked. so until they bloom, i don't know which are which. i do know i have the species d'amour tourii (which i know i spelled wrong- i so do not know the spelling on that one). i've been trying to label them as they bloom, but have only had so so success.

o

Woodsworm, I think I have Turk's cap seed (I will check) but I have woodland phlox and Baptisia alba seeds. I'm interested in your Endless Summer hydrangea.

o

Tam - I'm not sure what a. currasavicas looks like... Color? Tiny a. tuberosa are fine... I can't believe that I don't have any in an orange & purple garden!!

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iii too

Dana, I want a fan of that Blue Celeste too! I have a couple of crinums -- one is a white one from Niche which blooms all summer with the rains, and another is a different white one which a lady in La. sent me. I believe that one blooms all summer too in a normal year. I also saw that you want deer and vole resistant stuff -- do you have Hubrect's Blue Star? Mine should have ripe seeds soon.

o

Dana, joining the queue of Bleu Celeste admirers here. I doubt I have any daylilies you don't to trade, unless you'd be interested in a tetraploid version of H. citrina ("Tetrina") or H. altissima. I'm not completely convinced mine is the true species altissima as it has that darker throat that you don't see pictured on the hemerocallis society websites, but it's still nice. Blooms from July through Sept at ~6 feet in height. I also have some hellebore seedlings from H. niger, H. foetidus, and H. argutifolius I can dig.

o

ok dana- i looked at your list to see what i have that might work for you. i have some gaillardias you hardly ever see at the stores that would fall under the butterfly attractant list. they are 2 colors- deep pink fading to light pink and white with a burg eye. i have lots of seed that's easy (and sorted), and i might be able to get a seedling- but no way to tell what color it'll be. i just thinned my iris cristata and am bringing that. i have a short, lavendar monarda. i noticed you don't have either the perennial creeping heliotrope, or verbena on a stick on your trade list. they both are carefree and attract butterflies, and are lavendar. or, we could catch a few more anoles for you. are yours still hanging around?

magick- a currasavica is probably the prettiest one. form is similar to tuberosum, but rather than solid orange, it's got red bases, with orange centers. common name is bloodflower, and it reblooms throughout the summer. i got my plants from ralph in gallon pots and this is their 2nd or 3rd year. they overwinter jut fine in a cool greenhouse or probably a garage, too. even bloomed some this winter! some say they can winter in the ground here but i've never managed that.

woodsworm, i saw you were asking about leadwort/plumbago on another thread. do you want some? i'll try that episcium again if noone's spoken for it. had some for a long time, then lost it and i've tried a couple times since with no luck. but i haven't tried in a few years, so maybe now... lol

o
RE: wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades iiii

brenda- i forgot to say i was just checking on cuttings and those chocolate geranium cuttings don't look so good. scenteds are not easy to root, and i was afraid of that. is there something else you'd like instead, or i will try again this winter? i have 3 atomic snowflakes in my plot (lemon scented, with a white edge on a big scallop shape), and after the fair i'd be happy to pass along 1 of those.

o

Dana, one of the crinums I'll be dividing is actually white with pale pink stripes radiating from the center. Shari, that's the one I dug for you. It has a very nice fragrance, as does the white one from Niche.

o

Dana --

Wow, that 'Blue Celeste' is something. I still want to do the primary trade Agave-for-H. citrina. Looks like there's a line now for B.C. but if you have more to spare, maybe you'd like to add something to our trade. I just checked your wish list and notice you want re-blooming bearded iris. I have a purple variety I can share in exchange for B.C. if you're interested.

Carla

o

Wow, who knew little ol' Bleu Celeste would be so popular?

Tammy - If you guys can catch some more anoles that would be great. I haven't seen the other guys in a long time. But I haven't seen many lizards at all.

Alicia - could I have some of the Muhlenbergia filipes you mentioned?

Karen - you don't have any more of that sinningia do you?

Carla - how about the 'Golden Delicious' salvia?

Dana

o

Dana -- Yes, it's a deal, I'll bring Muhly filipes for you.

o

Here's another listing of my trades. Let me know if I've left anything out.

Brenda: No. River Oats, So. Lady fern, Native ruellia, Lamium, "Homestead Purple" verbena and Baptisia alba seedling for 2 foamflower, American beautyberry, Black Cohosh and Sweet Betsy.

Magick: Butterfly weed seed, and Sombrueil rose for Confederate jasmine and Climbing Butterscotch.

Rootdigger: Wintersweet (next year), Possamhaw, So. lady fern, Cinnamon fern, Netted Chain Fern, and woodland phlox for cuttings Bridal Wreath, phlox, EE, daylilies, iris

Tammy: Royal fern, Cinnamon fern, Scutellaria ovata and incana, American Snowbell seedling, Beautybush, gardenia and Baptisia for Purple Ruellia, Coral honeysuckle, Rose "Dehlia's Purple", perennial sweet pea, winter honeysuckle, bridal wreath, chickory and cuttings Fantin Latour.

Karen: Florida azalea seedling, Ebony spleenwort, white iris and lavender Stachytarpheta for Salvia patens, S. "Christine Yeo", S. "Betsy's Choice" and Iris pallida

Sally: Native ruellia, pink yarrow and Scutellaria incana for Classic Edge daylily, Canna Princess Di and Sedum Blackjack

Shari: Rooted Rosa "Mutabilis", Rose "Sir Robert Lipton" cuttings (spring trade). "Homestead Purple" verbena, Calamintha nepeta, Catmint, Ornamental Oregano, Eurphorbia corollata, Crinum, Amaryllis, Joe Pye, Hemerocallis citrina and Gardenia seedling for Danas purple salvia, S. chionophylla, Rose "Aloha", S. "Wild Watermelon", Salvia "Indigo Spires", Vitex, Salvia meyeri,rose S. greggii,Buddleia lindeyana and Seven Sisters rose.

Carla (Ratgirl): Baptisia alba for dahlias

Catc: 2 Baptisia for Coreopsis and Penstemon

RalphW: Muhly

TriangleJohn: Lavender Stachytarpheta and 6 Gardenia seedlings for white lilac, Tibouchina, pineapple sage, Disney ginger, dianthus, begonia.

Dogridge: Baptisia alba and Panicum virgatum for iris

Jnhidden: Lilac? or Lavender? for Florida azalea seedling

Vicky: Salvia transylvanica and meadow rue for crinum (?)

Dana: Muhlenbergia filipes for daylily Bleu Celeste

o
Big ferns

Dies anyone have any Ostrich fern that they would be willing to trade?

o

tophersmith, I'll have to look. I traded some earlier in the year, and I promised Rootdigger that I would give her a start, but I do have it. Depending on when she wants her start may also decide if I have it now or in the spring. LOL

I still have those 'Royal Respect' LA lily bulblets if anyone would like them.

o

Dana, I've got your name on S. sellovii, but I've got S. tubiflora if you'd rather have that one. Either way, both are coming to the swap.

Alicia, do you have any more of the crinum with the pale pink stripe to trade (the one you mentioned digging for Shari)? I've got a cute little chrysanthemum with small double dark pink blooms you might be interested in. I don't have an ID on it, but it's most similar to photos I've seen of 'Mei-kyo'. It's a tough little thing, a one cm tip cutting spent about 3 hrs in my pocket and still rooted when I got home.

Here is my current trade summary, but anybody feel free to correct me. I had to search on my name to catch up my list.

Brenda salvias Betsys Choice, San Isidro Moon
For hardy fuschia (spring), impatiens arguta Blue Dream

Alicia Iris pallida, Salvias Guanajuato, Christine Yeo and Betsys Choice, Clitoria mariana
For flame azalea seedling, old white iris, ebony spleenwort, lavender Stachytarpheta

Rootdigger Agastache Shades of Orange, Salvia Christine Yeo
For purple glad, Musa lasiocarpa

Shari Salvia regla, orange seedling of van houtteii Paul, Plectranthus saccatus
For Salvia meyeri, Vitex seedling, Lobelia cardinalis

Tammy Salvia blepharophylla, Salvia Betsys Choice, (Passiflora lutea, spring)
For Veilchenblau cutting, Baptisia tinctoria seed

Woodsworm Gladiolus Boone
For tuberose

? Ralph Clitoria mariana
For Clitoria ternata

Jean salvia Betsys Choice, (passiflora lutea in spring)
For quince

Carla glad Boone and Sinningia sellovii
For crinum Carolina Beauty, Musa Little Prince

Vickie (if you turn out to have more energy than me, ie digging up crinum) ruellia humilis, salvia uliginosa, salvia forskaohlei, alstroemeria Sweet Laura (let me know what you want)
For Vickie's moms crinum

John hedychium coccinium (preferably short form, spring)
For variegated tibouchina (?? red stachytarpheta cutting)

Dogridge Tinantia pringleii, Euphorbia characias, Pennisetum 'Moudry'
For Phlox David, blue star creeper, garlic chives

Dana -- Tinantia pringlei, Carex buchananii, Sinningia (sellovii or tubiflora?)
For Crocosmia Star of the East, H. Bleu Celeste

o

Karen - the sellovii was the one I meant. Thanks! I forgot all about the tinantia. What would you like for that?
Dana

o

Karen yes I can dig more crinum. The mum sounds lovely.

o

dtpforu, I would love 'Royal Respect' LA lily bulblets, but dont know if I have anything you would want to trade. Bring them to the swap if nothing else, though - I would pick them up.

o

Dana, I'd love Kosteletzkya virginica if you've got one potted up. I had one that had volunteered but some four-legged creature ate it this summer while I was on vacation, and now I miss it.

o

jnhidden,

I'll bring the Royal Respect for you. What about Bluebeard blue mist spirea? Do you have enough of that to share a start?

Thanks,
Vickie

o

I am letting the red stachytarpheta bloom so that I can bring blooming sprigs to the swap for folks to take home and root. This year it looks like every branch is blooming so I thought rather than cut them off and try to root them and talk about how pretty the flower are - I'd show ya.

o

Karen, yes I've already got the Kosteletzkya potted up and ready to go. So I'll put your name on it.
Dana

o

John, Miss Piggy here says to be sure that I get one of those! I had one last year and loved it! It bloomed for me ALL YEAR UNTIL FROST! Yep, just like the salvias. Bloomed and bloomed and bloomed! I wish I had saved seed from last year, or rooted cuttings in the greenhouse, but, alas, I didn't. So, that said, yep, I want one. Or two. Or three.

OK, I'm going to get out there tomorrow, and see if I can dig up that crinum. Dana, Karen, and Alicia, keep your fingers crossed that I can dig it. :-)

Thanks,
Vickie

o

Question. Can you root stems of the Confederate Rose? I've never tried. I have a Confederate Rose that is 12ft tall. It's cut down to the ground every year and comes back up from the ground and by the time it blooms, it's huge! Would anyone like some cuttings to try to root? I can bring some if you like, not to trade, just to let you try them. Let me know.
Thanks,
Vickie

o

Confederate rose roots very easily.

o

Vickie, I'd love to try rooting a Confederate Rose cutting and would be interested in anything unrooted people felt like throwing in at the last minute. I was thinking this morning about cutting back some of my begonias right before the swap and bringing those. It has to be done before they come in for the winter anyway and if I don't give them away now the cuttings will just end up in the compost pile.

o

OK, I'll put on my list to clip cuttings of the Confederate Rose on Friday. I'll bring what I can.

o

OMG! I have 23 bulbs of this crinum. It took me AND Terry both to get it out of the ground! I'll post pictures later, but hey, I have enough crinums for everyone! LOL

o
Crinums

Fresh out of the ground:

After a bath:

Think we'll have enough?

o

Woohoo! I'll be looking for one. Great job Vickie!

o

Yay Vicky! Good job!

o

shari, i can bring some leadwort for you. how 'bout that for lobelia cardinalis? that's one i can't seem to find the right spot where it'll thrive. but i'll try again. :) i posted on the other therad, but wasn't sure you'd see it. just let me know. thanks, tammy

o

Tammy, I have one pot left after trading with Karen. It's not the best looking but I'll put your name on it. It was a 'hunk of seedlings' pot and the outside ones are dying out but I think it'll be fine- plenty of healthy roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.

o

YOu know, it's funny how a plant swap will make you go out and clean up some beds that you didn't realize needed to be cleaned. I have some purple Mexican Petunia, several pots:

and a nice size Malva Zebrina and a tiny one:

Now, the Mexican Petunias and the Malva Zebrinia come back for me every year. I've heard some people say that they don't for them. I've had the Malva for 4 years, and it reseeds as well as comes back from the mama plant. The Mexican Petunias come back and even spread for me. I've had them 3 years.

So, I have more to trade. :-)

Vickie

o
leadwort/plumbago

Posted by tamelask z7 NC (My Page) on Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 8:31

vickie, do you want some? i can bring some to the swap. post on the swap thread if you do.

Tamelask, I would LOVE some!

o
Getting Ready

I have Daffs for Carla! I have about 30 - 40 bulbs for you. Woodsworm, I have about 9 lycoris for you!

tamelask: 2 ride paper plants and Salvia for Jap Maple and leadwort/plumbago? And toads, toads, and toads. :-)

Triangle John: Elizabeth and about 5 gardenias for dianella variegated, white lilac, 3 tibouchina and red stachytarpheta cuttings?

ratgirl (Carla B): Daffodil bulbs for Hardy gloxinia and Carolina Beauty Crinum

magick: Japanese Painted fern and Chartreuse Sweet Potato Vine for Juncus effusem Unicorn and White Beauty Berry

tophersmith: 2 Rice Paper plants for Lola Red Hot Poker and Jean Pasco Brug

alicia: One of Mom's crinum for Salvia transylvanica and meadow rue

Karen_W: Three of Mom's crinum and confederate rose cuttings for ruella humbus, Alstromeria "Laura", salvia forskaohlei????

jnhidden: Royal Respect lilies for bluebeard blue mist spirea???

Dana: One of Mom's crinum for ????? Do you have any of that crocosmia 'Star of the East' left?

woodsworm: Lycoris promised from Triad swap

Have I missed anyone or anything?

Thanks,

Vickie

o

Vicky,
How about trading one of the purple Ruellia for Muhlenbergia?

o

Vickie - Is there anything I have on my list that you'd take for some of the Mexican Petunias and Malva Zebrinia? I just cannot get enough purple!!!

o

alicia- I have phlox "david" for M. filipes- if you still have it.

Jean- I have phlox, shasta and agastache for sedum, vinca and liriope. The agastache is sort of small, but should bush out in the spring.

Looking forward to the swap.

o

alicia, you're on!

magick, how about some glads and wild ginger?

Thanks,

Vickie

o

to all who are getting ruellia- mine looks like vickie's pix. yep, i'll be happy to bring both shari and vickie some plumbago. anyone else while i'm digging? vickies, i'd love some of your zebrinia seed, if you can spare some. not had good luck with transplants of that one, but know it reseed lots. so i'm thinking in situ it may do better for me. assuming of course that we ever get rain again to make it germinate.

o

tamelask, I'll try and get some seed for you. So far, though, when I go out there to try to harvest some seed, there aren't any. I guess because it's been so dry. I'll keep trying all week, though.

o

Vickie - You're on!!

o

Vickie - yep, I already had you down for the crocosmia.
Dana

o

Dogridge I have you down for Muhly.

Tammy I'd like to get another start of plumbago too. The one from the last swap didn't make it. Let me know what you'd like in return.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here