Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

high point/gso/winston salem fall swap

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

We're signed up and locked in for our Fall Swap on September 22nd! We did have a problem in that we couldn't get our usual shelter. The new location (same park) is on Waterview Rd. I will post directions to it sometime this week on this thread. We still have restrooms, but no playgrounds.

Here's the info...

What: The Fall Plant Swap for the High Point/Greensboro and surrounding areas

Where: Oak Hollow Park - Waterview Rd (directions will be posted later)

When: Sept 22, 2007

What time : The shelter is ours from 11 to 3. We can get there earlier and I'd like to suggest a 10:30 set up time and we'll start the swapping at 12:00.

Keep special trades at your vehicles to keep from getting them mixed in with the general swap stuff. There is a nursery on 68 called Nelsons if anyone is interested in visiting there after the swap I'll get you directions. There's also a Farmer's Market which generally has a good plant selection and good sales that time of year.

At the last spring swap we had discussed doing chili this fall. I hope that works for everyone. Vickie is going to bring a crockpot of mild chili and I'll bring a spicy chili. If someone would like to do a veggie chili would you please contact me. We do have eletrical outlets to keep them hot. I will also bring the paper/plastic products. I'll make a list later for what else we'll need.

Our little group has been steadily growing and each swap gets better and better. I really appreciate the fun we've had and everyone's generosity in sharing. Don and I look forward to seeing old friends and new faces at this years event. If anyone has any questions Please contact me!

Thanks

Deborah

Here is a link that might be useful: Special Trades Thread

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    16 years ago

What town is this going to be in? Robin in Lewisville

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Directions to the Park/Shelter......

From I-40 take the 210 exit (Airport/Hwy68South) towards High Point. It's about 3.5 miles to Skeet Club Rd and take a right on Skeet Club...... From there go 2.2 miles and turn left on Waterview Rd. It's abt 1.5 miles and Waterview deadends at the park. We're in Shelter #5.

If you turn the wrong way at Skeet you will be on Wendover. Just turn around and go back the other way.

From High Point go out Hwy 68 (Eastchester) towards the interstate. You'll come to an interesection where if you take a right you're on Wendover and a left you're on Skeet Club. That intersection is just before the Paladium on the right. You're going to take the left onto Skeet Club. It's 2.2 miles to Waterview Rd, take a left onto Waterview and then Waterview deadends at the park.

Robin, this is north High Point and a part of Oak Hollow Lake. It's pretty central to Winston, Greensboro, Kernersville, Thomasville.

Here is a link that might be useful: google Skeet Club Rd to Waterview Rd.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, that link didn't work right. You go all the way to the end of Waterview.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I promised someone that I would post the food list so folks could sign up, so here goes.....

I've got 2 crockpots of chili covered and also the plastic/paper products. I'll bring water too.
    If anyone would like to do a third chili give me a yell, please.
    We'll need.....
    ice
    corn chips (like Fritos)
    shredded cheese
    sweets and snacky stuff
    if someone likes to really jazz up their chili bring some hot peppers/onions
    Bring a 2 liter of whatever you like to drink.

That's about as K.I.S.S. as I can make it! ;)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're about 12 days away. Are we ready??

• wherewerewe
    16 years ago

Hello,

Unfortunately, I work until 12:30 and wouldn't be able to arrive until appox. 1:15. Do you think it's a lost cause or is there still some swapping going on? I have never been to a swap before, but I imagine it's a little exciting/frantic once the start buzzer goes off and everyone dashes for their wanted plants & everything is pretty much done within 30 minutes....am I far off?

Please email me and let me know if you think it would still be worth the effort - it does sound fun but I feel I'll be too late.

Thanks

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wherewerewe, I'm so glad you posted. Looks like our Triad bunch are shy (lol). I feel like I'm talking to an empty room. The main swapping will prolly be over but we've always had plants left over and I feel sure we'll still be there eating and talking plants. Last spring we had Tropical Lady Slippers, scented gerainums, iris, herbs galore and gobs more left over at the end. Which everyone just divied up. I planted rosemarys all over my yard and they've all thrived even in this drought! Give me some idea of what you're into and I'll snag some for ya if I see it. Bring what ya can and the folks still around I'm sure will want to share. We had the best time laughing and talking afterwards last spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Stuff

• ferndottar
    16 years ago

Hi Rootdigger,
    My daughter`s birthday is the 22nd., but it looks like we`ll make it anyway. Wherewerewe, Marshal... I think I still owe you a lemon meringue pie for some plants you gave us a couple of years ago. If you come I will also try to find some stargazer lily bulbs. We have a tall zebra grass, do you want some? I think it`s been so dry, hot and miserable that no one has wanted to look at their bug chewed, wilted, pitiful plants. Hopefully the rain will come tomorrow so we can get some things dug without killing them!
    Wherewerewe, please let us know if you are coming. It was a lemon meringue wasn`t it? If I know you are coming I`ll bring one. Root, we will bring some kind of dessert and some chips. Thanks for all your`s and Don`s organizing work!
    Bob and Dawn

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bob and Dawn, I'm so glad you all can make it! The yellow daisy looking plant (what is it?) you all gave me is blooming it's heart out. I never got it planted in the ground, was afraid to with this drought, but it is beautiful and happy in its pot.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Bob and Dawn, Woo Hoo, we're so glad you guys can make it once again. I was over at rootdiggernc's and we think, now just remember, WE THINK, the plant she got from you is one of the many forms of Coreopsis. It is really pretty, though. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that. OK, guys, I'm inviting everyone from my Daylily club to come, so hopefully some of them will show up with some plants or planting items as well. Anyone need magazines? I have tons. Anything in particular that you need? Let me know. I've got to get out and dig in the next couple of days, so my yard is pretty much up for grabs. LOL Well, almost. I got tons of grass if anyone wants to come dig it out. I need to make more room for the daylilies I bought today at our Regional 15 Meeting Auction! I got some beauties!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Oh My! Dawn, does this mean that you're going to bring a lemon meringue pie? MY FAVORITE!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Dawn - bringing the Lemon Meringue Pie?
    Bonnie - bringing cornbread and maybe cookies if we don't eat them all the night before at the Rook party.
    Rootdigger (Deb) - Chili - spicy, plastic/paper products, water.
    Vickie - Chili - mild, cheese, fritos.

Anyone else bringing anything?
    Needed:
    ice
    sweets and snacky stuff
    if someone likes to really jazz up their chili bring some hot peppers/onions
    Bring a 2 liter of whatever you like to drink.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aww, thanks for reposting the food list V.

If anyone is unsure of the directions email me and I'll try to help. If you're still concerned that you might get lost let me know and I'll give you a phone number to reach Don. I'm sure he can talk you in from most anywhere.

I am still taking cuttings, digging and potting up. Don and I are really looking forward to this!

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

I'll bring some homemade cinnamon rolls.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

yummy yummy!

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    16 years ago

Finally figured out to look at this thread for the directions, and presto - there they were! I will be there, bringing a good garden buddy. We will bring some French bread and olive oil dipping sauce. This sounds like a lot of fun! Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• gulabmali
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I am completely new to the territory of plants and the region in itself. I live in Clemmons and can do with a little bit of help and inputs from the triad green thumbs on GW.

We moved to a brand new house with very little work done by the builder. My first effort was a rose bush, a housewarming gift. Five months of gardening and we have not done too badly. We even managed to grow grass!! The sheer joy of seeing the fruits of ones own labor has us hooked!

Would like to add rosemary. Bob, Dawn, Deb - could you please include me to your rosemary recepients list when you dole them out for the swap next spring....

Will have to wait to see the results of my efforts in Spring and hope to become a part of the group.

Monisha

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County