Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keithrnjd

wanted: raleigh fall swap special trades part ii

keithrnjd
15 years ago

I have several hardy red amaryllis available and at least one white calla. I am looking for some white or purple echinacea or something interesting for about half shade, dry soil.

Sally

Comments (34)

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

OK, what I'm bringing:
    Seedling Tiarella crosses between native and ÂIron CrossÂ(11)
    Agastache Âhoneybee blue (1)
    Seedlings of Japanese roof iris(3 pots of baby bulbs)
    Salvia 'Maraschino' (4)
    Beautyberry (1)
    Prunus mume, Japanese Flowering Apricot (1)
    Hydragea 'Nikko Blue' (2)
    Hydrangea macrophylla 'Maculata', variegated Lacecap
    Echinacea 'Magnus' seedlings
    Saponaria, pink (1)
    Orange Canna (1)
    Calamintha grandiflora (1)
    Climbing Aster (1)
    Rain lily 'Labuff'(2 pots of baby bulbs)
    Salvia koyame (1)
    Prunus mume sapling (1)

Specials:
    Karen: Tiarella and Rehmannia elata
    Sally keithrnjd: Echinacea and Rehmannia elata (white hibiscus)
    dtpforu Vickie : ??? (lycoris, muscari)
    Let me know if I left something out.

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Sally,
    For dry shade, I have good luck with Salvia koyame (originally from Karen) and Iris tectorum. Let me know if you want some of either.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Sally, I couldn't get into the area where the blood grass is (?was), but for dry shade I've rooted some cuttings of Serissa foetida if you're interested in something shrubby. Turns out I'm not going to be able to make it to the swap this fall, but I plan to try and impose on Brenda to take any special trades I've arranged.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

hey brenda- do you have anymore of your rehmannia left? if you don't, no biggie. If you do- what would you like in return?

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Tammy, surprise me.

• uncgardener
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I am coming to the swap this fall and am very excited! I am losing the battle with the deer on a few plants that I need to swap/rehome before they are gone for good. I would like to trade my Julia Child Rose and a smallish crape myrtle sapling in particular. The rose just took a significant pruning (not by me!) but it's hanging in there, barely. Would anyone like either of these?
    I am looking for more deer tolerant things like Salvia, different types of lavender, and lamb's ear, etc.
    Thanks!
    Kara

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen, I would like some Serissa foetida. What are you looking for? I have lots of canna Intrigue and some canna musafolia (banana canna) and also Stuttgart. Let me know. I am bringing a white hibiscus for your echinacea at this point (I think)

Brenda, I would like to try that salvia. What can I bring for you besides the hibiscus?

Sally

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Sally, surprise me.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

The following is a partial list of what I am bringing to the swap next Saturday for special trades and general distribution. In addition, I still have most of the things listed previously on my trade list though it has not been updated.
    1. Fig 'Celeste' - One of the hardiest and the best tasting figs for our area. One year old rooted sprouts in gallon pots. Should produce fruit by the end of next summer if planted soon. For special trades. I also have a couple of 'Brown Turkey' and a golden fig that I believe is a 'Kadota'.
    2. Tradescantia (spathecea?) - I have two kinds in 5-inch pots to trade plus lots in cells for distribution. They are 'Tricolor' and 'Moses-in-a-Basket'. In full sun these tend to form a clump. In part sun they run more like typical Wandering Jew. May be T. zebrina. Probably not winter hardy outdoors, but easy to over-winter inside.
    3. Portulaca 'Giant Bicolor Radiance' These have white flowers with rose colored throats. These can be overwintered inside if not allowed to freeze and given minimal water.
    4. Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' rooted cuttings in one-gallon pots. Should be overwintered inside this year, then planted in the ground. Mine planted in the ground come back if well mulched. (I stuff pine straw into a 3-gallon pot and place it over the plant after it is killed back by first freeze.)
    5. Lantana in 1-gal pots - Pink and yellow flowers similar to 'Ham and Eggs'. Most of mine in the ground have come back for the past several years. Of course, we haven't had a z.7b winter in a long time.
    6. Pineapple Guava - 2 year-old seedlings in gallon pots. Plant two to provide cross-pollination. For special trades.
    7. Salvia - rooted cuttings of 'San Carlos Festival' and a few gallon pots of S. 'Indigo Spires' in bloom. I may have a few pots of 'Hotlips' and 'Maraschino', also.
    8. Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki'-gallon pots currently in flower; also, T. 'Lightning Strike' and a few 'Amethystina 'and 'Samurai'.
    9. Impatiens arguta - semi-hardy perennial with blue-purple flowers. I also still have a couple of I. omeiana.

1. Callisia fragrans - Member of Tradescantia family that resemble a Bromiliad. Grow outside in summer and take in for the winter. Makes a good house plant. White flowers smell like Hyacinths.
  • tamelask
    15 years ago

Ralph, I'd like to get one of those miyazaki's that are blooming- i could even use it for my plot! What would you like in return? Oh, and i'll bring you some of that peach scented sage as a fresh cutting, since it's finally recovered enough for that. If i'd thought of it sooner, i'd have rooted you one, but it slipped my mind til now.

One of the things i know i'll be bringing is a bunch of seedling papayas. They can overwinter inside, then if you plant them outside in sun in spring, they make a huge architectural plant in a single year. I've been kind of burned out on gardening with the droughts & all and don't know how much else i'll bring. I'll look around and see what jumps out. My trade list isn't updated, but if anyone sees something, ask.

• tophersmith
    15 years ago

OK Here I s what I have so far, please let me know if I have left anyone out
    Triangle John; - Pink Veluntina seeds - future considerations
    Magick; Plants already given for - Xanthosoma Atrovirens Albo Marginata Monstrosum
    Vickie; Pink Veluntina Pup + Lasiocarpa pup - Lycoris radiata, Lee Pickles and any Oriental and Asiatic lillies
    shari1332; Maroon stem Colocasia - Let it Rip
    ncgardengirl; Colocasia Black ruffles, Chicago Harlequin and Cranberry stem - still waiting on trade info

I will be bringing additional banana pups, please speak up if the there is a type you are interested in.
    Mexican Petunia, 2nd year Papaya seedling (about 3' tall)
    If anyone wants St Johns Wart I could bring some by.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Tammi, I have a Tricytis hirta 'Miyazaki' for a seedling papaya and a peach-scented Pineapple Sage. Would you like a cutting of my golden pineapple sage?
    Brenda, would you like Celandine poppy seedlings for some of your Tiarella seedlings? How many would you like?
    Sally, I am bringing you several Mexican Petunias. Do you have any Salvia 'Eveline'? Would you be interested in a variegated Caryopteris for one of your special cannas? I also have some white coneflowers that I can pot up for you.
    Woodsworm, I have the Impatiens arguta that I owe you from the spring.
    Kara, what Salvias do you have? I have several kinds that deer do not bother that I would be glad to bring you one of.
    Does anyone have an extra ee 'Black Magic'? I have plenty of Fontanesii and Illustris plus several green ones with odd shaped leaves, but have lost all of my Black Magic.

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Ralph, I have a 'Black Magic' for you and would love to have one of your Fontanesii.

• uncgardener
    15 years ago

Ralph, all I have is 'May Night'. Anything would be wonderful, thank you for offering!
    Kara

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Ralph, that sounds great. The pots of papaya have about 4 or 5 plants each in them. If you can think of anything else you'd like, i'd love to get some more celandines. If not, I'll get some at the general swap. Most of mine perished in the drought(s), despite my selective watering. I do have 1 plant left that's dormant now. I knew you'd said before that you were running low or i'd have asked already. So, are they easy to start from seed, or are you getting them as volunteers from your patch? I'd love to try them from seed sometime if they are reasonable. Wish i'd know you wanted black magic EE- i could have grabbed one at campbell road, but i'm sure they're gone now. Hmmm- do you like walking iris? That seems like something you'd enjoy. i have a pot of that i could bring you.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

---Tammy, I would like to try the walking Iris & will bring you a couple of Celandine Poppies. They self-seeded in some pots of Tiarella, but I am sure that they are fairly easy from seed if you collect and plant the seed soon after the pods are ripe.
    ---Shari, I will bring you an ee Fontanesii for your Black Magic.
    ---Kara, I would like to have one of your Salvia 'May Night'. A search of Dave's Garden show gorgeous blue flower spikes two feet tall and say that it is hardy to z.4. Is this the one that you have?

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me, Ralph! If my celandines ever made pods i didn't notice. It seems like all we've had has been dry years since i've planted them, though, so maybe they just haven't produced so well or aborted because of drought. They have bloomed, so i'll watch next year. The walking iris blooms are really cute if you catch them. Seems like i miss them more than anything. They are not supposed to be winter hardy here, though they are happy in a cool garage or greenhouse with minimal protection.

'May night' is a great salvia. It was one of the first perennials i ordered when i made my fence bed 12 years ago and i still have one or 2 of the 3 plants i initially got. It blooms in flushes throughout the summer. Doing some trimming today i accidentally cut off some of the plantlets that form along the flopped old blooming stems. I'll try to root them and see what happens though i've not really had any luck doing that so far. I hadn't tried really hard, either. :)

• uncgardener
    15 years ago

Ralph, I can bring you a Salvia 'May Night'. They have done well for me so far.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Kara, would you be interested in cuttings of the Salvias that I do not already have rooted for you?

• uncgardener
    15 years ago

Ralph, yes, that would be great! Thanks.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Ralph, I rooted you a cutting of Salvia mexicana 'Tula'. It's small, but if I can find the S. reptans seedling out in the meadow and the weather permits digging before the swap, would you be willing to trade for one of your pots of Indigo Spires? It's my husbands favorite salvia but I went and let mine die.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Ralph, are you going to have any heucheras and or heucherellas this go round? I'm looking for some rounded moundy type peachy, purple or chartreuse color for the fore area of my plot and have been underwhelmed (price-wise and/or size-wise) about what's available in stores right now. I know in the past you've brought some to the swap. If you do, what would you like in trade? I did dig one of the gallardia aestivalis 'winkleri' the other day but they don't dig so well and i don't know if it'll take. I think i brought you seed of that before but certainly can again or can try to dig more of it after the soil's loose from the rains. I also have a pot of cerinthe going that should do really well in a moderately sunny and protected spot all winter. It can't handle really harsh frosts. Last year mine started blooming in feb and kept going through june.

Folks from out of town might want to consider stopping at campbell road nursery (right off tryon road, almost to cary) while they're in town since they've marked most of the summer perennials in 4" quart pots down to $2 a pot or $20 for a flat of 15 plants. They have a lot of nice stuff still- very good if you're looking to fill in some spots quickly. Of course, some of it is rootbound (the salvia leucanthas), and some looks rough but has good root systems, but a lot still looks nice and there's a decent selection. Karen, they do have indigo spires as well as mystic, though they've been cut back and are smallish right now.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Sally, I found the Echinacea seedling for you, and have the Serissa as well. I saw on your trade page that you listed Salvia 'Eveline'. If you have any of that to trade I'd be very interested.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

---Karen, I will bring you a couple of pots of S. Indigo Spires. I love them, too, but would like to find a way to prevent their sprawling over in late summer. Any suggestions?
    ---Tammy, I have a few seedling Heucheras with green and silver leaves, but none of the ones you described for now. Hopefully, I can do some dividing of the Heucheras and Heucherellas during this coming winter. I have not had too much success with the purple-leaf Heuchera varieties, possible I am growing them in too much shade.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,
    As it turns out I am not going to be able to attend this swap, with the HIGH gas prices it is just not going to be possible for me to attend this go around.

I am working on getting my plants that I have promised trades of to the ppl I owe them too.

topher I need you to email me so I can talk to you about our possible trade so I will know what to do. I listed my haves on the other thread and you haven't let me know if you wanted any of the items I listed for your plants I requested. What I listed on that thread is all I have worth trading at the moment.
    If you can please email me before Friday evening. If not then I can't get it worked out to send plants to you other then mailing them to you.

Sorry for this MAJOR inconvenience I had hoped the gas prices would drop some before this swap but since they haven't I just can't make the trip.
    I hope everyone understands, BUT if by some miracle I do manage to figure out a cheaper way to attend I will let everyone know before too late.

Thanks,
    Fran

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Ralph, I have 2 tiarella for you.

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

Tammy,
    don't I owe you something?

• tamelask
    15 years ago

no Brenda, i think we're good- you're bringing the rehmannia, right? I think that's all we traded for. You said to surprise you. I'm bringing a couple things and you can pick. John has rehmannia, too- but if yours is already adapted for dry shade i'd rather start with yours. His is in delicious soil and pouted & mostly died when i transplanted it to my clay. :) I had it for a long time and gave it to lots of folks, but now my original's died off from the droughts and i can't recall who all i gave it to. Isn't that funny? Oh well.

Ralph, thanks for checking. Figured i'd check in with you first to see if you were bringing some anyhow. I've actually had decent luck with the purples in a few hours of sun- better than the peaches have done. I have a few i can maybe dig up and take rather than spending the money. I'll have to give them a critical eye if they're really fit to dig (they tend to look ok in my yard but not in the ultra groomed garden at the fair). During the drought they reduced down to conserve and are just starting back up really. I'm just really loathe to dig something that's established for just a month or so and then have to dig it right back up just to bring it home again. I may splurge and get one or 2 eye poppers and fill in with something else (i have lots of strawberry begonia). Thanks again.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Well, i checked and the ones i have in the ground aren't gonna be nice enough- they are just beginning to fill in from the drought. Oh well.

Why i'm really writing is to ask if you, Ralph, have any more cuttings you need me to take or retake? Or anyone else for that matter? I can do cuttings off of pretty much anything i have before and then some. Just holler- that's easily accomplished the morning of the swap.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Tammy, I cannot think of any other cuttings that you might bring me. Would you like a couple of pots of Tradescantia zebrina for your fair plot? I have two colors, probably 'Quadricolor' and 'Tricolor'. Each pot has about a dozen rooted cuttings in it.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

sure, if you want, Ralph. I really appreciate it! I have 1 little pot from spring i'm taking out there that got overlooked. Not sure which one it is- i'd have to ck the tag. So, did all the cuttings from fruit trees you got in the spring take then? That's pretty exciting!

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen and Ralph, I potted up a Salvia 'Eveline' for each of you. Ralph, I also potted up a special canna for you.

See you later!

Sally

• jillzart
    15 years ago

I am a beginner gardener in Cary and am looking for any cuttings that I can use in my fall garden. I have a woodsy, tree shaded back yard and a sunny front yard. I am interested particularly in climbing things to create volume and height, as well as creeping ground covers.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Jill, the swap was last weekend. You should post a your own 'want' with what you're looking for. There'll be another swap come springtime, too.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions