Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtrx

WANTED: food list for the Raleigh swap

dirtrx
16 years ago

Didn't see a food list yet - sorry if I missed it! Do we have a theme like chili or hot dogs? It is in the afternoon so wasn't sure if swappers want to bring a heavy snack or more of a buffet. Dirtrx

Comments (24)

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I'm bringing buttermilk brownies.

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

I'll bring hummus.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

I'll make some kind of spread and good breads to go with it and the hummus (yum, thanks Carole!), also plastic utensils.

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

I'll bring paper plates, napkins, and walnut-pecan brownies.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I'm bringing whatever looks good at the deli at the last minute.

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago

good one Karen_w!

I'll bring sweet challah bread and butter, some garlic and cilantro dip(homegrown hot Korean Red), and good ol' mild deviled eggs. Also, some of my Habanero Jelly and cream cheese so I can watch y'all's heads explode from the fire. Someone can bring crackers to put this stuff on, please. Oh, yeah, and some of my famous B&B pickles and Sweet Pepper & Onion relish for hot dogs or burgers or deli meat sandwiches.

Should someone bring Pepto?

Nancy the nancedar

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Nancy I'll bring some crackers and pita chips for your goodies. Don't know what else I'll bring. Maybe a pasta salad or else like Karen whatever looks good at the deli.

Shari

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

oh goodie, Nancedar! When their heads explode, you and I can go get all the plants. heheheheehehehe Just kidding. Don't know what I'll bring. What ever I feel like fixing at the last minute.
    Vickie

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I was hoping to make something with the bumper crop of raspberries this year (for some weather-related reason, this years berries have flavor!) BUT they never seem to make it back to the house.... don't know how that happens...

burp

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Not you John! We know YOU don't eat them before you get back to the house! Wonder how they disappear. Be sure I don't get any of those kind of bushes in any swap. (sigh) OH well.

I might so something with some strawberries I put up earlier in the year. Maybe just pull a bag out of the freezer, buy some pound cake and whipped topping and throw it in the car. How does that sound??????? By the time I get to Garner, they'll be thawed out and ready to eat.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

i'm thinking we'll bring brownies. i know we normally do guac, but i haven't been able to get the cheap avocadoes for a while now, and it'd be too expensive at the price i've been getting. if i manage to get lucky, i'll bring guac, too. tight with time and money this time as well.

• sandra41
    16 years ago

hi, i have never been to a plant swap & want to attend the event in garner. can anyone tell me what to expect? what should i bring? do people sell plants? i would love to meet people in raleigh that share an interest in gardening! sandra8787@hotmail.com

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Sandra,
    Here is the original web address for the plant swap: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/exch0816525621565.html?8
    And the latest link to the special swaps: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/exch0910182119677.html?48
    The latest link to the special swaps is the 3rd forum for special swaps. If you want something really special, this is the way to get it.
    The swap itself, we put all the plants in the middle on the tables under the shelter. We will all stand outside of the shelter, 'Triangle John' (John Buetner, the person that has organized this for the past 4 or 5 years) will ring a bell, (or say"ding"), and we all get a plant. Then he might say everyone get 2 plants, and ring the "bell" again. Then we all get 2 plants. This way, everyone has a chance to get the plant that they have their eye on. Needless to say, if you see something you like, you might want to stand near it outside of the shelter when it comes time to ring the bell. It continues like this until we get rid of all the plants. It's tons of fun. And we all end up getting something that perhaps we've been wanting for some time or something that we wanted that we didn't know we wanted. It also gives us the opportunity to try some things that we probably would never try otherwise.
    As for what kind of plants to bring, ANTHING is ok, great, fabulous. The best way we handle special trades, is to keep them outside of the shelter so that no one walks off with your specials by mistake. I always try to do the special trades at the cars. I think they're going to designate a special place this year so we won't bog up the unloading space.
    We also have food. Everyone brings something and we all pig out. You know, food and plants seem to go together.
    We do this twice a year. Once in the spring and again in the fall.
    You can trade seeds, magazines, house plants, perennials, garden tools, empty pots, fertilizer, gloves, aprons, knee pads, trees, shrubs, we trade EVERYTHING garden related.
    In the Spring swap, one couple brought a bunch of dried gourds from the previous year. Someone brought a ton of herbs that she had started. My friend Deborah has even traded for boulders for her yard. I traded once for a garden gnome. Hey, if no one wants it, the worst that can happen is that you take it back home. Then, bring it back to the next swap, and who knows, there may be someone there that just can't live without it.
    My Garden Web name is dtpforu. I do hope you can come. And if you don't, well, there's always in the spring.
    We would love to have you in all our swaps.
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok- we can bring guac, so i'm not sure abut the brownies. i saw someone else is bringing those, and i don't want to step on toes. see y'all there! tam

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Cool beans!(or guac that is) Love your guacamole Tammy.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thanks shari!! yeah, i'm happy i can bring it. we normally buy boxes of avocadoes year round but the have been so prohibitively expensive for at least 6 mos now we haven't been able to. so you all got really lucky that i found a decent box, ripe and cheap! and we can pig out on avocadoes to our heart's content. mmmmm :)

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Pasta salad has been made and I have Ritz and whole wheat ritz crackers for Nancy's goodies.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Tammy I'm sure we can put away 2 containers of brownies, lol. Mine is more like cake than brownie anyway.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ok- then we can do both. the kids like to make brownies anyhow. we tend to like them fudgey, so that will give chocoholics a choice!

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

We are bringing a marinated tomato/sweet onion/cucumber salad. Instead of cucumbers I have been using Trombone squash, the seeds of which I got from Tammy at the spring swap (as climbing zucchini). It is perfectly delicious and more easily digested than burpless cucumbers. I have two vines that are running all over the garden on twine about 6-feet high. These squash plants are amazingly productive. I have just cut 4 squash about the size of the one in the picture below, and there are 3 more that will need to be cut in another couple of days. All of my other squash plants have been devastated by insects, but this one seems very insect tolerant. Since we cannot possibly eat all of these squash, I will bring 3 or 4 for anyone who would like to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Trombone Squash from Dave's Garden

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Don and I are both under the weather and have company coming in this evening too, so I'm just going to swing by Paneras and pick up some of their yummy breads on the way out tomorrow. They'll be good for any spread type things folks are bringing.

• dirtrx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm bringing a Key Lime pie. I know its not my usual but it looked really good in the store and I love Key Lime pie. Shannon/Dirtrx

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ooh- shannon- we love key lime pie! yum!

ralph, be sure to let a couple of those zuchs ripen up and save the seed. i think pinetree still carries it, but ya never know, and i need to get some fresh seed. :) i'm so glad it's done well for you. when we grew it i was amazed at how much better it did for me than regular squash and how much different it's texture is. we loved the nutty flavor. i haven't planted it for a couple years because i've just gotten too busy. but as long as next year isn't a total drought i will have to plant it again.

root sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. that's too bad. :(

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Tammy, thanks we're OK, I think mainly run down. Don's had a yucky cold but is past the contagious stage. I went to the doc with an angry ear and he said there's fluid but no infection. The med he gave me is keeping me wiped out but we're good to go! Just simplifying the things we can. Plants are all ready packed up, just have to load them in the morning!

Sponsored