Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Raleigh Fall Swap -Special Trades #4

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

Number 4? LOL... we're beyond help. 'Plants Anonymous' has given up on us!

Comments (74)

• tamelask
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thanks, shari! guess i didn't check that far back.

carla, i plan to bring the little flags again and set them up along the edge. provided i can get them in the hard, hard ground! so those of you who took yours home, bring them back with you, please. i will have extras for new trades or folks that forget. my only issue is i'm meeting some out of town relatives for lunch. i've already told them i have to be finished by 1, but you know how that goes... hopefully we'll get there a bit before or at least right at 2.

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Attention Magick, John, et al

I was re-reading some of the previous threads and came across John's message about not trading his cannas due to virus. I have always assumed that most of the bengal tigers in the trade these days were infected. My annual cycle is this: they come up, foliage is beautiful, then they start blooming ... I cut the flowers off because I only want them for the foliage ... then eventually the streaking starts and I just cut 'em back. They usually come back up again looking fine. I should've thought about this when I offered to trade you, Magick. Looks like some others are also bringing you bengals so maybe you'd want to withdraw--or trade for something else. BTW, I have the plain solid-leaf, orange flowered cannas intertwined with the BTs and they never show any signs of the BT's streaking (which I'm just assuming is the virus, rather than anything weather-related). Further, I have Ermine and Cleopatra elsewhere that look fine. Let me know what you want to do.

Carla

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Warning....Shameless Plea ahead!!!
    A couple of years ago someone brought either Winter honeysuckle or Winter Jasmine. I don't know which? It was shrubby with a weeping form. It blooms in January or February and smells absolutely divine. It was one of the many things I had to leave in my old yard, sniff sniff. I'd love to get some more if anyone has it. Here's the catch. I don't really have anything to trade at this time. It was too early to divide things from my old yard and I didn't have a place to root things. I can pay you back this spring (lots of wintersowing) bake you a pound cake or I do have a very small rooted varigated hydrangea. I don't know if it is even large enough to leave out this winter?! Okay, that's my shameless plea. Thanks, Shannon/Dirtrx

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Shannon, after all the stuff you have given me over the years, you don't have to give me anything for a piece of this winter jasmine that I have in my yard. I'll see if I can find you a rooted piece, other than that, I'll bring you cuttings. It blooms yellow in Jan or Feb and does indeed smell devine! Is there anything else you would like for your new home?

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

tamelask, what's with the flags? I wasn't there last swap to know.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Shannon, I have winter honeysuckle and will look for a layered branch to dig. Don't worry about a trade. Mine came as a housewarming gift from a gardening friend and it seems right to pass it along the same way.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

i put in a bunch of winter honeysuckles to root a few weeks back. if any took, one's yours shannon. no worries about a trade.

the deal with the flags is this: it seemed like we spent too much time trying to figure out who was who & where to put stuff to do the special swaps beforehand. it's no fun doing special swaps if you don't have time to look at the general swaps or chat. so about 3 swaps ago, i grabbed some of those bright pink surveyor's flags, put everyone's name who was doing special swaps on one, and planted them along the edge of where we head up the hill at creech rd shelter. that way you don't have to hunt down the person (which is annoying if they aren't there or you don't know them), you just leave their stuff by their flag. later they can take their flag up the hill to mark their hidey spot for the general swap or leave it down the hill to get their stuff later. whatever flags are left i collect and bring back the next time. i don't care if folks take them- it was a huge bundle. it is easier for me if you leave them since i'm normally fairly early, i can get everyone's up before most arrive and that way the early birds can distribute their plants. plus i don't waste my time making a new one. but it's easy to forget, and no big deal if some were taken or don't come back. i'll probably just leave the blank pile close to the walk with a sharpie so that newbies or someone that needs one can fill one out. there wasn't a good place to use them at the last swap and i think a lot of new folks really didn't know what to do with them, so i'm sure there was some confusion. i think some folks thought they were like auction flags. :)

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Alicia7b, I have a Mexican Sage plant that I rooted earlier this year for you.
    Tophersmith, I would like one of your Brug. 'Jean Pasco' rooted cuttings. How similar to 'Chas Grimalsi' is this brug? What would you like in return? I have some recently rooted cuttings of Hibiscus acetosella, a tender perennial with attractive dark red foliage and stems that will grow 6 ft next year.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Shannon - Seems like your plea has been answered. If there is anything I have that you are interested in, let me know. I'll "trade" you for your winter sowing secrets. this will be my first attempt at WSing and I have some seeds I'd LOVE to have come up!

Carla - From everything I've read, it seems next to impossible to find a BT Canna that is not virused. I can't even tell the difference in a virused vs. healthy Canna. If you don't mind, I'd like to stick to the trade & just assume that all of my Cannas will have the dreaded virus.

Ralph - What would you like for some Arum italicum?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

ralph, are we on for a double blue clitoria for a couple of the pink or white w/burg eye gaillardias? i was beginning to think you weren't coming. glad you'll make it.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Ralph, thank you!

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Ralph, how about either some Bronze Fennel or Hedychium
    The Jean Pasco looks quite a bit different than the Charles Grimaldi, I actually have the Insignis pink rooted not the Jean Pasco my mistake. here is a link http://www.brugmansias.biz/ look under BRUGMANSIA X INSIGNIS

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Ralph,

Wait it is the Jean Pasco, use the link I provided in the earlier message and go the the cuttings section to see the picture. Wow for a minute there I thought my stakes were mislabled.

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Magick: OK, the BT cannas are yours! I just wanted to make sure there was full disclosure.

• dirtrx
    16 years ago

Vickie, Karen W, Magick and Tamelask Thanks, you guys! I really appreciate the offers! It never fails to surprise me the generosity of gardeners. I'm going to hunt one of you down on Saturday :). (I promise to forward on the good karma with y'all in the spring.)

Magick the only secret is to be prepared to give away alot lol! My biggest thing is trying to organize my seeds. I start with my hardy perennials, then hardy annuals, then the tender perennials and then the tender annuals. This is not a hard and fast rule. I had so many seeds my first year that I was overwhelmed so I tried to figure out what needed the most time or what could handle extreme temperature changes. I start in December if I have time or in January and then finish up in March (if I am lucky). And start collecting jugs/bottles soon. I think I have some extra seeds somewhere ...I'll be glad to share my stash. We've also been know to do a seed swap which is a great way to get just a few of many things. Shannon/Dirtrx

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shannon just let me know sometime when you're passing by to see your folks and we'll go on a dig through my yard. I remember you wanted lots of hardy begonia! I certainly have that!!

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

And when you get done digging in Deborah's yard, Shannon, come by my house and we'll dig in mine! LOL Then, we'll go play in the greenhouse!

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Here are the special trade plants that I have listed. If I am forgetting anyone, please let me know.
    ---Alicia7b: I am bringing 2 (blooming) Mex. Sage for Muhly Grass
    ---Magick: I am bringing variegated Toad Lily (Tricyrtis) Samurai & Arum italicum (if I can find One - they are just starting to break dormancy) for ? White Beauty Berry?
    ---Tammy: I am bringing double blue flowered Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea) rooted cutting & seed for Gaillardia seedling.
    ---Karen W: Clitoria ternatea plant & seed for C. mariana
    ---Keithrnjd: Tradescantia purpurea for Pineapple sage & salvia 'Jaime'
    ---JNHidden: Asclepias currasavica & Bronze fennel seed for?
    ---Brenda: I am bringing Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset' & ee's Fontanesii, Black Magic & Illustris; also, Veronica 'Georgia Blue' for plants you offered.
    ---Shari 1332: Large pot of Cuban Oregano for your choice
    ---Triangle John: Clitoria ternatea seed & seedling; John, I would like any of these you still have: Pineapple sage, Tibouchina or Disney Ginger Lily
    ---Tophersmith: Asclepias currasavica & bronze fennel seed and Ginger Lily for Brug cuttings
    ---Some of the things that I am bringing for distribution include: Red-leaf Hibiscus acetosella; Clerodendrum myricoides 'Ugandense'; Alternanthera dentata w/burgandy leaves; Portulaca grandiflora 'Bicolor'; Colocasia Fontanesii & Illustris; Various Sun Coleus; various Toad Lilies; various Angel Trumpets/Brugs.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I feel like I've forgotten something, but with almost 500 messages to wade through I'm not sure what. Please let me know if I've left anyone off. Was there someone else (besides Jean) that wanted fennel and lemon balm?

Alicia - phlox, BW cuttings, EE, Iris and Daylilies for ferns, possamhaw, woodland phlox and wintersweet

Brenda - rain lilies, S.lovechild for J.beech fern, and glads

Dana - reedgrass for sweet autumn clematis

Jean/Jnhidden - rocks and spearmint for fennel and lemon balm

Karen - Agastache rupestris, salvia 'Christine Yeo' for glads and chinese banana

Magick - mickey mouse EE, wht BB, star confederate jasmine for Blk stem EE, wht BB ginger, pussy willow

Nancydar - toadlilies

Sally/Keithrnjd - upright dwarf ee for hibiscus AH

Sharil - Iron Cross oxalis for EE's and DL's

Tammy - JW seed, coltsfoot, Carolina jasmine for hibiscus HA, phlox, blk stem ee, paph, fo-ti, milk thistle seed

Tophersmith - brugs (later date) and dwarf peach for Curcurma emperor, unkwn crinum and variegated hymenocallis littoralis and Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant' spider lily.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Ralph- would you be interested in any salvias for the Cuban oregano? I have one each left of 'Indigo Spires' and microphylla 'Wild Watermelon' rooted(and blooming). I also stuck some cuttings of 'Phyllis Fancy' yesterday. I also have some named daylilies- if you're interested I'll list what's available.

• woodsworm
    16 years ago

I am adding episcia for tamelask (want plumbago/leadwort) and 'endless summer' for alicia7b (want woodland phlox, turk's cap seed). Vickie, you're wonderful with the lycoris.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Root - you do still want the Waterfall Japanese Maple, right?

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Shari1332, this summer's dry weather has made me a big fan of salvias, so I am interested in any of the ones that you named. I have S. 'Hot Lips', 'Marachino', 'SanCarlos Festival', S. uglinosa/Bog Sage plus a couple of blue-flowered ones whose names I do not know; I also have the new yellow and green variegated one that is finally blooming with scarlett flowers. Are there any other things that I have that you would like? For example, I have a hardy abutilon, silver plectranthus (argentatus?) and several different ee's (Plain green, Black Magic, Illustris, Fontanesii plus a couple of others).

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Ralph, I can bring you all three. I would love a Fontanesii ee and some of your portulaca.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Does anyone have any Ornithogalum bulbs to trade?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Magick, YES I do still want the J-waterfall maple! Also the pussy willow has rooted. It is losing fall leaves but has nice healthy roots.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Root - I figured you wanted it ;) I'm really excited about the pussy willow rooting!!

Shannon - You & everyone else at the spring swap were so generous in helping a newbie start the addiction... I get just as much (if not more) out of being able to share the plants I have. I have a ton of seeds for WSing. Fingers crossed, I'll have plenty of fun stuff to trade at the spring swap!

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Woodsworm, I have woodland phlox but I'm out of Turk's cap seed, sorry. I took it off my trade list a couple of days ago.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Woodsworm, we're already trading gardenia for Carolina allspice too, right? I'll dig 2 containers of woodland phlox for you, one doesn't seem like enough for a shrub.

Ralph, I can also bring you a baby Salvia transylvanica since you're bringing 2 Mexican bush sages. Do you have/ want that one?

Jnhidden, are we still on for a trade?

Is anybody else's head spinning from these threads? :)

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Yes! I've updated my trade list on my exchange page except for Ralph and Alicia's MBS cuttings. If I'm missing anything just let me know.

Jean- I haven't listed what I'm bringing for your school garden but haven't forgotten about you:)

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Alicia, I would love one of your Salvia transylvanica. I am not familiar with it at all.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

I have several white-flowered Brugs (Angel Trumpets) in 5-gal pots that I would to trade for anything of value. They are 4 - 5 feet tall and several are about to bloom . If there are no offers, I will add them to the general distribution.

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

OK, back in town and lots of dead plants.

This is what I THINK my trades are-please correct me if wrong:
    Tammy: Salvia koyame, Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream', Iris tectorum -pot full of seedlings (for ruellia, plectranthus, columbines, kiwi cuttings)
    Dana Hollyclyff: Sedum 'Angelina' (for 'William Guinness' columbine)
    Ralph: Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream', large lacecap variegated hydrangea 'Maculata' (for Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset', ee fortunesii/Black Magic/illustris, Veronica 'Georgia Blue')
    Carole Woodsworm: Tiarella and cilantro seeds (Trillium,blue columbine, and Cinn fern)
    Nancy: Tiarella "Iron Cross', snowball Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile', live bloodroot rhizome in 2nd pot of possibly dead snowball(for sensitive fern and Green&Gold)
    Alicia: American Beautyberry?,Tiarella 'Iron Cross' X 2, black cohosh, calycanthus florida,Prunus mume, small but settled-in-pot sassafras (for Ruellia, Lady Fern, northern sea oats,lamium, 'Homestead Purple', Baptisia alba )
    Rootdigger: pot full of Zephyranthes atamasco and Salvia 'Lovechild', and Impatiens capensis seeds-found only 10 seeds(for Japanese Beech Fern and gladiola)
    John: ??? (for Himalayan Impatiens and Disney ginger)
    Magick:purple beautyberry (for fern (not Christmas fern))
    Karen: Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream'(for Salvias 'San Isidro Moon' and 'Betsy's Choice')
    Shari: Salvia 'Lovechild', Euphorbia 'Golden Turm'-looks iffy-do not transplant right away, gallon Natchez crape myrtle, Nikko hydrangea(for Buddleia lindleyana, Salvia 'Indigo Spires',Salvia meyeri, Illustris pups )
    Sally keithrnjd: agastache 'Honeybee Blue'(for Ocampo white Wandering Jew)
    catc: Tiarella (for holly)
    Carla: Hypericum 'Albury Purple', and Hypericum 'Glacier'-still rooting do not transplant right away (for Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious' and Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba Clary 'Mojito')

Fuchsia cuttings did not make it - So Karen and Alicia(beautyberry?), please pick something else from list below. Also, John, want to pick also, cuz we've got nothing set up. Ais, do we have a tradde set up? Shari, sourwood would not make transplant after drought, so please pick one from list also. I lost all my Impatiens zombensis, so if anyone has a cutting, please help me out.

List to pick from for those I owe something:
    Agastache 'Honeybee Blue'(2)
    Crape myrtle 'Natchez White' (1)
    Native red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)
    Tiarella, native (1) and 'Iron Cross' (2)
    Penstemon tenuis seedlings (Gulf Coast Penstemon) (3)
    Hypericum 'Albury purple', variegated St.John's Wort (1)
    Impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream' (1)
    Calycanthus floridus, Carolina Allspice or Sweetshrub (1)
    Prunus mume, Japanese Flowering Apricot seedling,10"(1)
    Hearts-a-Burstin (1)
    Cimicifuga racemosa, Black Cohosh (1)
    Hydrangea macrophylla 'Maculata', variegated Lacecap (1)
    Echinacea 'Magnus' seedlings (1)
    Coleus 'Inky Fingers' (1)
    Lobelia cardinalis (1)
    Euonymus fortunei "Emerald N Gold' (2)

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Brenda, we're good with what you listed. The sourwood was extra anyway. Can always try again another year.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Brenda, if you still have the Impatiens arguta, I would love to have it. I have two special plants that I can add to what I am bringing you. Geranium sanguineum 'Glenluce' and a Colocasia 'Illustris' pup that has dark chocolate leaves rather than the usual green and black.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Geranium 'Glenluce'

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Brenda, I'll happily take the native Tiarella.

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

Ralph, you're already down for the arguta.
    Karen, OK good.
    Shari, I have lots, so remind me in spring. Surprisingly, they seem to pot up happily for me in spring- anything looks better to them than my dry clay I suppose.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone have Hedychium gardnerianum aka Kahili Ginger?

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Brenda - I'm trading plants for your undying love and affection. I have one sprig of I. zombensis left alive in my garden and somewhere there are some cuttings that rooted. If I don't find them I can give you rooted cuttings at our winter seed swap (Impatiens love the hoopy house for the winter). I can take a few fuchsia cuttings but most of mine bought the dust this summer. I am in a purge mode so more is coming to the swap than is coming home after.

Folks. You know how I wait til the last minute and then bring up something that gets everyone crazy. Well here it is - Podranea ricasoliana. This vine is in full bloom in my yard and lovelier than it has ever looked (and better than the pictures on the web!). Its not supposed to be winter hardy, but made it through last winter, tho it did die back to the ground. Some of my stem cuttings rooted but they are slow growing. I am going to have to move it next year because it is just too big and lanky, it really needs a gazebo or pergola to cascade off of. I will bring cuttings to the swap but supposedly the flowers fall off easily.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

John, I so want that. I'm going out to see what I can dig up at the last minute, too. Probably nothing quite so exotic, but who knows?

This morning when I got up my husband told me there was a plant lying out in the driveway where some creature had dragged it during the night. I was so afraid it was something I had propagated for the swap, I ran out there on the gravel with bare feet to try and save it. Fortunately it was just a croton cutting from HD that seems to have an invisible 'kick me' sign on it. I have no idea who keeps attacking it, but that is one tough plant.

• brenda_near_eno
    16 years ago

John,
    You already HAD my undying love and affection. I'll be happy for Zomby cuttings in spring if you can't find now. Do you want/have Rhemannia elata or Iris tectorum (good bloomer for me in dry shade)?

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

OH John! MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME What a wonderful plant for my pergola! I just got Terry to build it this year - right in front of the greenhouse. That would be so cool next year climbing up the side.

Look at it. It's nekid!

{{gwi:553236}}

It needs one of the Podranea ricasoliana, don't you think?

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Brenda - yes to the iris.

Vickie - that pergola would be perfect!! can I get one for MY YARD??? just kidding. If I find one of the rooted cuttings I will drag it along but they are tiny. You might want to grow it in a large pot and move it in and out - or plant it right up next to the greenhouse and cut it back each winter. The heat from the greenhouse should keep the roots from dying.

Karen - I am willing to share but this may be one of those "iffy" plants for this area. It usually blooms late (like November) but this being its second year it has really filled out early. It does the climb up and then cascades out and over with blossom clusters on the tips of the branches. I have one of those kick me plants also. Branches fall out of trees onto it, I knock it over, the dog digs it up... yet it survives.

Where ever Pieter is and if he shows up he should be able to tell us all about it since he is from South Africa where it is almost a weed.

Dana - did you ever get Iris foetidus??? the one I bought from Niche has seed pods this year. Very cool plant. I want to try and grow the seeds. Any suggestions?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

hey john- did you ever get a bell to ring? i've been meaning to get one for you but haven't found one that's just right yet. but- i just realized that our one bird's bell would work great if i can get it back after the swap. do you need it? i'm hoping you get the zombie going again, too, since i lost mine as well. it is so cute. ralph's into impatiens- wonder if he has that one? iris foetidus is one i keep meaning to get from miss betty (my mentor) i love the blooms on it, and it seems tough as nails.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

John, no I didn't get that iris yet, so I have no experience with it, but when I tried to grow blue flag iris from seed, I was successful with winter sowing.

I just looked it up and it says it can take as long as 18 months to germinate!

Dana

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are we ready to swap!!! See you all there!

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Hi alicia7b,
    I think you wanted lavender and catmint. Propagation this year went badly for me when I went out of town for 11 days, and I didnt see any extra rooted pieces on the catmint even though it is spreading for me now. But I will try to bring you both in the spring, ok? I can bring lavender cuttings if you want some, though.
    Tammy I am bringing you a cutting or 2 of what might be wooly lavender.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

ok, cars loaded ready to go! What am I forgetting??????

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Jean, we can wait til spring then.

Brenda since you're bring sassafras we're even already.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I think my daughter Elise is going to join us. I told her she could bring Salvia mexicana 'Elise' to swap if she does.