Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: when to plant collards,kale,cabbages for fall

Posted by liznbeatle 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 11:10

I am two years into an organic herb vegie garden, and new to the carolina long growing season. I am trying to plan out a continual growing schedule. This is my first year with rhutabagas, they were wonderful, but I seem to have misjudged the fall planting. How much heat can the sprouts take? I was afraid to start them in the extreme heat, so I planted September and seems like mine are far behind others I see growing. Will turnips, collards, cabbages keep growing here all winter if I cover during hard freezes? I would like any advice I can get, as my family eats from my garden and mistakes mean less food. My daughter and I have chemical sensitivity and the home grown organics are much better for us.Also would like any feedback on growing tomaties in the square foot garden method, what successes-problems have you encountered. Has it caused an increase in pest problems for you? Thanks Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: when to plant collards,kale,cabbages for fall

liz- i'd move this post over to the discussions board if i were you; it's not really and exchange and you'll get a lot more responses.

that said, your collards, cabbage & kale will go all winter unless it's more cold than normal (i'd maybe consider covering if it's gonna dip below 15). you could grow them under reemay/row cover, too, which will help the fluctuating temps & moisture levels some. also cuts way down on cabbage worms. i couldn't believe how much it helped my lettuce last yr.

i've always wondered about starting things when it's so hot, too. i don't know if the commercial ones start them in cool houses, or what. mine are always far behind, but they do fine in winter. they will just mature later, that's all. you could always buy a few commercial 6 packs and plant them so you have a staggered crop.

i've grown tomatoes pretty tightly before, and the problems i saw were if a disease hits, it spreads fast and you're less likely to notice it since it's so crowded. ditto for bugs, though i didn't have any issues with that that time. about the only bug issue i ever have with tomatoes is hornworms, and kids are especially good at spotting them once trained. disease resistant cultivars could help with those issues a lot, but it's hard to find really resistant varieties that taste wonderful. on the plus side, there's very few weeds because they are shaded crowded out. so, pick your poison, so to speak. i think there's a nice middle ground, the trick is in finding it ofr your situ. it depends too on whether you are talking about indeterminates or determinates, and how you support the vines. the more air and light you can get to each plant, the better for disease.and the better they'll grow, as they'll compete for sun & shade each other some.
good luck! tam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from North Carolina and South Carolina are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here