Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

WANTED: Hardwood Cuttings

nancyofnc
17 years ago

There are some things that root well during the ugly days of winter that I so enjoy doing. I'd like to expand my tree and shrub collection if you have something to share. In exchange for the cuttings I could send some rooted ones back to you, or, I could send you any of the myriad of plants I propagate (see my trade list) or, for other stuff I have but don't put on my trade list. If you're going to prune them anyway, this would be a good deal for you!

WANTED - Hardwood Cuttings of:

(especially) Willows,

Viburnums,

Metasequoia,

Magnolia,

Prunus (Apricot, Plum, Almond, Cherry, etc.),

Holly,

Robinia (Locust),

Chaenomeles (Flowering Quince),

Hibiscus (hardy),

Climbing Hydrangea,

Lonicera (Honeysuckle - but not the weed one thank you),

Mahonia (Oregon Grape Holly),

Pyracantha,

Ribes (Edible Currant and Gooseberry),

Spirea,

Symphoricarpos (Snowberry),

Grapes,

Weigela,

and whatever else you may have in your garden that isn't in mine (yet).

Comments (20)

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Hi Nance! I'd love some of your Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire' Fire Twig Dogwood and Rosemary Arp (mine has recently died). We've traded a lot so not sure what you have of mine (I think we have sedum covered, lol), but I should have some rooted cuttings of Punctatum by spring. I started them last fall after a visit to my sis in the mountains. It's a native species of Rhododendron. Looks like cotton candy when it blooms out. If that doesn't work out I have spirea 'Bridal Wreath' or s. Van Houtte (not sure I can root that one). I'll keep looking to see what else I can do in case none of those work.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I could send cuttings of Viburnum bracteatum 'Emerald Luster' and possibly some of Viburnum x pragense(it's evergreen with lots of new growth and needs some pruning). I'd love a 'Contraband Girl' iris.

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rootdigger - sent you an email - we did have the Sedums covered though I have 4 new ones you may not have yet.

shari1332 - Have a quite large fan of 'Contraband Girl' for your Viburnums - I'd be happy to have all your trimmings, the more the merrier. Send me an email off line and your ship to address.

Nancy the nancedar

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Nancy, I can get wiegela cuttings - I have tried and had no luck in rooting them. I will gladly send a few if you can tell me how to successfully root them. :)
    Rosemary

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rosebush - Ohhh goody! Another fun thing to try this winter. I'd love to try rooting them. I'll tell you how to root them if I get them to root since I'll be using various methods and they all may not work. I'll send you my address in a private email.

Nancy the nancedar

• flower_power_nc
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy I have plenty of
    Baby Holly here. If you
    want some let me know.
    Debbie

• ggwrn
    17 years ago

Nancy,

I have Little gem magnolia, variegated weigela, michael dodge viburnum and pyracantha. I can send you cuttings of any or all of them. I am interested in your starts of vitex tree and cotoneaster and firetwig dogwood cuttings. I am always looking for plants with berries that attract birds if you have cuttings from any thing of that nature.

Ginger

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ggwrn - I have been looking for V.'Michael Dodge' for a longggg time - I'll take anything you want to prune as these are purported to be be stubborn to root - only need 4 to 6 inch lengths. I may be a crazy person but I have the room and really do like Pyracantha so put on the heavy leather gloves and send me any and all pieces you can spare. I've never tried the Magnolia - think they are from propagated by seed or grafting? If it won't hurt your tree, I'd love to give it a go. Member rosebush is going to send me some variegated weigela but if you have to prune, I'm game for more.

I don't have cuttings of Vitex but I do have lots of babies so I could send a one gallon bare root; Cotoneaster is better done with cuttings in spring but I have a few rooted to send; and 'Midwinter Fire' Cornus dogwood cuttings I can send - they are gorgeous right now,plus I could send a rooted sucker if you like. For your bird feeding I'll have some American and Japanese Callicarpa (Beauty Berry)rooted in mid-spring which they eat last because that is all there is for them in late winter, BUT we get to enjoy the neon purple berries until then. Send me a personal email to exchange addresses.

flower_power_nc - Are these native baby Hollies? I have prickly ones in the woods but if these are different, I'll be happy to trade so private email me and tell me what you'd like from my trade list or on your wish list.

Nancy the nancedar

• ggwrn
    17 years ago

Nancy,

I sent you an email, let me know if you did not get it.

Ginger

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    Your weigela cuttings are on their way. Good luck! rosebush

• nancyofnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you rosebush, ggwrn, shari1332 for the trades - I am sooo happy and hope you like the goodies I sent, hope they all do well for you, and hope we can trade again!

And, rootdigger and I decided we had too much to mail so we'll meet halfway to the 100 miles we live from each other. What fun is that? I'll just call it a personal swap with a side of lunch.

Nancy the nancedar

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    THANK YOU!!! I LOVE all the goodies you sent! Hope your package arrived today as well.
    Rosemary

• tietie
    17 years ago

hi nancy!
    I don't really have anything on your wish list except some dumb ol' holly. Its yours if you want it.
    I did get some tropical hibiscus to root, if your interested in another pot to bring in in the winter.

I just wanted to say hi.
    Tanya

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I love all my goodies too!

Thanks so much,
    Shari

• ggwrn
    17 years ago

Nancy, I am very excited about the goodies that you sent me. Thank you! I mailed your package yesterday. I guess since the mail doesn't run Mon. that you will probably get it on Tuesday. Let me know.

Ginger

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Nancy, sent you an email. Let me know if you didn't receive it. Shannon/Dirtrx

• nurseryman01
    17 years ago

We've had great luck at our nursery in Seneca, SC using a product called dip & grow, mixed with black strap molasses.

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy, I will be at The Factory this weekend. DD has a soccer game at 12 pm on Saturday. If this works for you I can bring the cuttings with me. The game runs about 45 minutes so if you want to meet after the game we can. Sorry to post here but I don't think my last email went through. I am getting your emails though. (Not worried about a trade) Shannon/Dirtrx

• dirtrx
    17 years ago

To be on the safe side of emailing: I will see you on Saturday @ 12:45, north side- across from the elementary school. Shannon

• nonews
    17 years ago

Nancy, I have lots of baby Mahonia growing at the base of my Mahonias. I potted several last fall, but it is too cold to investigate how they are doing. Or I could dig up some and send them. I would love anything for shade and native - Tiarella or even Epimedium. Thanks so much. Nancy in Statesville

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor