Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdbheartsease

WANTED: High Point Seed Swap for 2010

Judy Brown
14 years ago

Hi, Will someone please post the date and info for the High Point Seed Swap? I'm planning on bringing some luffa, funky pumpkin and garlic chives seeds. I'm looking for cyclamen seeds or tuber/corms if anyone has any to share.

Comments (20)

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

Judy - as long as the date doesn't conflict with anything else I might be doing I plan on showing up. If I can find them, I will share some snake head iris bulbs/tubers. There are few in the yard. I know where they should be but they go dormant soon after blooming in the spring so I will need a bit of luck to find them. I have to dig them up anyway to plant some at my new house.

Rootdigger - if you need me to pick up some 'Atom' Gladiolus bulbs from PDN at their winter open house I can. I seem to remember you looking for some years ago.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John - I would love some snake head iris. Is there anything out of my garden I can share? I do have some corydalis that I tranplanted to pots a while back before this cold weather settled in. You don't by chance have anymore of those Orchid Nuns that you had at the Raleigh Swap? I would like to get one of those from you whenever it convenient.

Also, when is PDN winter open house? Is it open to the public?

Rootdigger - Is the seed swap still the last Saturday in January? Time? Same location as last year - Panera Bread in High Point?

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

Judy - I probably have some nun's orchids left. All my plants are stuffed into a tiny greenhouse and I can't see everything. If I have any they will be tiny and may take a few years to get big enough to bloom. I would love some Corydalis but I would rather wait until I have everything settled at the new house/garden before I add any plants to my way-too-big collection. PDN posts their winter open house schedule on their website (www.plantdelights.com), they are open to the public - its a great time to see the winter bloomers in the gardens. Off the top of my head I believe it is the last weekend in Feb and the first weekend in March.

If Rooty deems the same weekend as last year - I may not be able to make it. That's my birthday weekend and if the weather is warm I will be at the beach for a much needed vacation.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John - If you don't make it to the seed swap, I'll bring the corydalis to you at the Raleigh Spring Swap. I still have not heard for sure when the seed swap is.
    Hopefully, someone will post soon.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Yes, same time, same place.. the 30th @2:00 at Panera bread on Hwy 68. If weather is bad we'll move it to the 1st Saturday in Feb which is the 6th. Will post any weather changes here.

I have not even started going thru seeds yet and will be out of town next week. I saved a bunch last fall, but never got around to marking them, so it could be interesting.

John, when is the Raleigh seed swap?

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

I have some Thai peppers if anyone is interested, let me know.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've joined a seed swap, so I should have plenty of seeds to share. I'm also placing an order with Crosman Seed company in NY and will bring what I don't use for wintersowing.

Does anyone have any Rudbeckia Cherry Brawny they want to swap or share?

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

If anyone has any of the Keystone bell pepper seed I would love to have just a couple of them. One plant provides all the bells we need. Great pepper!

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Start thinking about the spring plant swap and what you're looking for. Might be that someone at the seed swap could start a cutting for you.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

First of all, I made a booboo, at the same time I was making all sorts of plans to head west this weekend to attend the swap and visit folks I was also agreeing to have furniture delivered and trees moved. I haven't mastered being in two places at once so I guess I will get to stay home and play in the snow (if it really happens). Ya'll have fun and I will try to schedule things better next time.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

No problem John, if this system is half as bad as they're saying it will be I don't think any of us will be meeting in this area.

Judy the way it looks so far it will just be the two of us anyway, lol... so maybe we should shoot for next Sat and if no one else wants to have fun with us we can still meet, have some lunch and swap between us. Let me know. Maybe we'll run over to Nelsons and see what treasures he has snugged up in the greenhouses!

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Deborah,

Perfectly fine for next Saturday. My neighbor is planning on coming too. So, there will be 3 of us, or 4 counting Don. If for some reason we don't meet, I can always send the monkshood seeds in the mail to you. I've been wintersowing seeds, so I had a couple of questions for the group.

Maybe you or someone can answer:

Do we always put the jugs/bottles in the shade or can it be part sun/part shade? I'm afraid mine's been in partly sun.

Can you use the green Mt. Dew 2 liter bottles?

How many seeds per jugs/bottles?

Have a good day and stay warm!

Judy

PS - You don't by chance have any Rudbeckia Cherry Brawny for sharing?

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

I have cancelled the swap for anyone checking this thread.
    We will plan to meet next Saturday, same time and place.

Judy, I always put my containers on my deck in the sun. Once it starts warming up in the spring I move the ones that haven't sprouted to the shade. The ones that are sprouted are usually already hardened off with no lids by then, so no prob. The rule on containers, as I recall is any container that you can see your hand thru is ok. Number of seeds just depends on what you're sowing. Tomatoes I plant pretty heavy and then prick them out and transplant to cell packs or cups. Something like moonflower vine or morning glory (big seeds), I usually just do 2 or 3 in something like a 2 liter bottle, maybe 4 or 5 in a gal jug. It's a very forgiving system. Sorry, I don't have any of the rudb you're looking for.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deborah, Thanks for the info. Judy

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Well, I don't think the weatherman have any clue as to what this next weather system is going to do this weekend. We'll just have to see what happens.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deborah,

If you would like for me to mail you the monkshood seeds e-mail me your address at jdbrown@wfubmc.edu.

Thanks, Judy

PS - Really yucky here today - doesn't look like it's going to be any better tomorrow.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Judy, let's hold off. I would really like to do this (swap) and at this point I'm so ready to get out of the house!!! Just saw where they are predicting another storm about Tuesday! I may try to reschedule this towards the middle or end of the month.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds good. I'll watch the thread.

• rootdiggernc
    14 years ago

Hey Judy, We're not going to try to reschedule the seed swap. I'll send you my address for the seeds. Is there anything I can send you?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's fine. I sent you an e-mail.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living