Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Need some tree help

jimtnc
15 years ago

I'm looking for 2 trees. I think I've settled on the Japanese Zelkova and the Black Tupelo/Black Gum/Sour Gum.

Given the fact I'm not that young anymore, I'd like to buy these in a larger size so I can enjoy the trees and partial shade now rather than wait many years.

Can anyone help me find these trees and who might carry them? I'm sure a lot of places do carry them, but I'd like to get the larger sizes if possible. Any help would be great.

Comments (10)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I have never seen cheaper trees and shrubs than the two businesses out in the country south of Raleigh on Old Stage Road. But you pretty much have to go out there and run around the place to find whats on your list. I guess if you can find their phone numbers you could call them and check. Its been years since I've shopped there so I don't know their names but I believe one is simply Old Stage Nursery. Others on this forum will know all the details.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I've bought several things from them before (Broadwell and Tarheel), but they generally only carry the certain mainstream varieties that everyone buys around this area, especially landscapers.

If you're looking for a special tree that is not native (don't really know if these 2 are native to our area) or is more of a "designer" landscape tree, they probably wouldn't carry it. Having said that, it's still a good idea to contact them, I guess. I did already think of it, but was trying to find other contacts also.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Jim- you need to check with old stage. They have a better selection of things than broadwell's, more of the types of things nurseries have. They are the one across the road- tarheel is beside broadwell's and is more annuals and perennials than shrubs.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Tammy. For some reason I keep referring to Tarheel instead of Old Stage, and I know better. Dadgum, it must be old age. Ahhhh well.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, I'm finding that the Tupelo blackgum is very hard to find around here at a decent size (10-12'), so I might be changing that choice to a Nutall Oak instead. Wonder if Broadwell/Old Stage has them? Hmmm.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Jim, Tarheel Native Trees has both of your original choices:
    Nyssa sylvatica 'Lakeside Weeper' 7 Gal. 60.00
    Nyssa sylvatica 'Wildfire' 3 Gal. 40.00 15 Gal. 100.00
    Zelkova serrata 'Variegata' 7 Gal. 45.00

I've never actually been to this place, but have their tree list bookmarked to salivate over periodically. Maybe someone else can say if they're good or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tarheel Plant List

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Oh, I just noticed they also have Nuthall Oaks:
    Quercus nuttallii Nuttall Oak 15 Gal. 75.00

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks mbuckmaster. I'll look into that shortly.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster - regarding Tarheel Native Trees, I spoke to the owner last summer about his shrub and tree varieties. He told me they mostly deal with pro landscapers, etc, but will sell to individuals if you call them ahead of time to see if anyone will be there. Apparently, it's a small family business and they aren't there all the time, but he appeared to be very receptive to selling to homeowners...he just wanted it known that it's not your regular walk-in garden shop operation that has a regular staff and open-close hours.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, jim. Let me know how it is if you check the place out.