Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Spring Plant Interest and Swap Dates??

rootdiggernc
14 years ago

For those starting to (or already done it) take cuttings, winter sowing, etc... for the spring plant swaps. What are people looking for or into this year? I'm more into edibles - especially 'tough' perennial types, flowering (fragrant) shrubs, some natives and always EE's I don't already have.

Next, I know it's early yet, but would like to get a feel for dates that will work for people that are coming to the High Point Spring Plant Swap. Right now I'm looking at April 24th or May 1st. I do have a trip in April, but I think it'll be mid month. Plant Delights open house is that May 1st weekend, but since it's 2 weekends (3 days each) it can be worked around. I need to reserve our spot earlier this year since we had so much trouble finding an open spot (date and location) last fall. It's impossible to pick a perfect date for everyone, but any big gardening events that we don't want to get tangled up with date wise, let me know.

Also our seed swap is this coming Saturday, info is on the exchange forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed swap

Comments (12)

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Hi Deborah, The Cleveland Swap is planned for the April 24th. I was hoping to make that swap this year. Could the High Point Swap be on May 1? If not, I understand. Do you know when the Raleigh or the Winston-Salem Swap is planned for? I'm trying to get my plants/ calendar planned. Hope your doing well. I'll see you Saturday at the Seed Swap. Thanks, Judy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Someone emailed me that the state-wide native plant weekend in Brevard is April 30th - 2nd of May,... so May 1 isn't looking good. I will post something when I figure what's going to work best for the most, and for mine and dh's schedule.

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Oh Wow- That sound interesting - the State Wide Native Plant Weekend. Looking forward to the seed swap. Judy

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got back in town tonight and as it stands right now I don't think we'll be having a seed swap this weekend.

• squirrelspur
    14 years ago

Hi, could someone post the details of the state wide native plant weekend? I'd be interested in finding out the details. Perhaps others would also.

Thanks, squirrelspur

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

I just read that the Cleveland County Swap is May 8. Let's make sure I've got this right:

High Point Swap - April 24
    State Wide Native Plant Weekend - April 30 - May 1
    Cleveland County - May 8

Does anybody have dates for Raleigh & Winston-Salem yet?

• dtpforu
    14 years ago

The Winston Salem swap will always be the weekend after the Master Gardener plant sale at Tanglewood which will be the 24th of April. I have no control of this date. The Master Gardeners have already ordered the plugs and will start potting up the plants the first or second Wednesday in February.

There is a shitake mushroom class on the 10th of Feb and to sign up you will need to call the extension office and talk to Rachel Herring at 703-2867 to get a spot. The class will start at 11:00 AM and will be given by Craig Mauney, the agriculture agent for Forsyth County.

The Fall plant swap will be the weekend after the Master Gardener Plant sale at the extension office. Those dates haven't been published yet so watch the Winston Salem paper for dates of the sale.

Where is Cleveland county? and Where will the state wide native plant weekend be?

Also, thank you all for the cards, plants, emails, and calls on the passing of my sister, Patti, in FL. This was such a shock to us all. I went down to FL to visit family and for an operation for Patti, but ended up staying for a funeral instead. It will take some time for me to come to grips with this. Patti was only 50.

thanks,
    Vickie

• Judy Brown
    14 years ago

Vickie, I"m sorry to read about the passing of your sister. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Cleveland County is 2 hours away from Winston-Salem, Hwy.74. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Native plant weekend.

What time is the swap for W-S? I'm just wondering whether I could make two swaps in one day. Might be pushing it. Swap overload.

Judy

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

Native Plant weekend is in the Brevard area this spring. Starts April 30 7:00 p.m., ending Sunday about 1:00 p.m. Just got back from out of town, too, and will try to post all details shortly for those who are interested. Someone else is supposed to put details on the state website, too...shortly. It is open to non-members as well as members.

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

I am posting the link with info about the native plant weekend in the Brevard area. You do not have to be a member to attend, just pay $10 more. Email me off list if you need more information. The speakers are set, but the actual schedule will be posted in the early April newsletter and then put on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCNPS spring 2010 Outing

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the Native Plant event.

I do have the pamphlets she sent me if anyone is interested I'll bring them to the seed swap this Saturday **IF** the weather isn't bad again!

• ladyhen76
    14 years ago

Cleveland County is about 30 minutes west of Charlotte on I-85.

Does anyone have any details as to where this event is going to be held? I'm about 15 minutes from Kings Mountain.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!