Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
According to what I read re: more heat/more rain

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 13:51

Looks like Tennessee is going to get walloped with rain this year and we of southern piedmont into SC will also get the extra moisture and extra heat/humidity.

What that tells me is in my area(Charlotte metro) we are going to experience more high ozone days, fungus growth and sunscald.

That for better plant growth it might be worth going to slightly raised beds and no mulching or just loose layer of last year's leaves.
Don't know what to do about the ozone and how it hurts the tomato foliage.
Last summer, by not keeping the tomato growth limited and by running the stems through buckets of rain water(for additional water uptake..they root like crazy) the original growth died off from the ozone damage and the 10-12' running stems stayed green/flowering and producing.

It just takes up so much room in a small garden.

Are there any tomato varieties with better resistance to ozone (smog/pollution)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: According to what I read re: more heat/more rain

releasing from the top

o

You might want to re-post this on the tomato forum.

o

If ozone is on your list of problems for growing tomatoes, you must have some really fine plants. I'll be focusing on moisture, temprature, blight, sunlight, spacing, support, insects, deer, birds and squirrels. If I can master all that this year, I'll brainstorm ways to beat ozone with you next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here