Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

Bulbs are up...normal??

bosewichte
11 years ago

I just moved to South Carolina from the midwest, and I've been really surprised to see trees budding and bulbs sprouting already. I saw a daffodil bud ready to unfurl this morning! It's only January 13th. Is this normal for the south, or is it just freakishly warm and that is causing premature budding? Anything above freezing in January feels freakishly warm to this Indiana girl! ;)

Comments (8)

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

I bought some "brandX" daffodils 20 years ago, and they are always very early...often have had blooms with snow on top in February. It all depends on what type of bulbs you have. Galanthus, for example, are always early.

Last year we had another strange winter, and I had some plants that were earlier than usual along with others that were right on "schedule." It made for combinations that I had never had before. Right now two of my early Trilliums are showing, a couple of weeks ahead of normal.

You are in a slightly warmer zone than I am,so you may have lots of surprises.

• lsst
    11 years ago

A few years ago, I remember daffodils blooming on Christmas Day.
    Seeing those bloom in winter does not surprise me.

Even though I am loving this weather, my main concern is an early warm spring followed with an April freeze with temps in the upper teens. We had that happen a few years ago and I lost so many plants.

I am a native South Carolinian, and this is the first winter, I remember Camellia Japonica blooming through January.

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

I have a C. sasanqua that is blooming now and others are getting ready to bloom. The one is called Yule Tide because it is supposed to bloom at Christmas, but for me it is always January.

Today the scents of flowers were fabulous: Daphne, Edgeworthia, Mahonia, and, of course, Camellias. They can usuallly take some cold.

I do worry about the fruit trees I saw blooming closer to town. They will be hurt with really cold weather.

• lsst
    11 years ago

ncrescue,

I know what you mean about the scent of flowers.
    Today, It was like March. The scent of the tea olive on one side of the house and the scent of winter honeysuckle on the other. Absolute Heaven!

I was prepared to pick a sasanqua and japonica camellia bouquet but ran out of daylight.

My husband was in shorts and a t-shirt. He has never worn that outside in January!

• ncdirtdigger
    11 years ago

My daffodils start breaking the surface in late November. They have for as long as I've had them. I fertilize them when I start seeing green.

• joraines
    11 years ago

It did seem a bit 'early' to me that daffodils started blooming around here in early Feb. My 'Sweet Breath of Spring' is also blooming and while some of my early daffodils have begun to bloom, some are just emerging. I have had a bad case of spring fever this year and have been planting camelia's and Cast Iron plant this month!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

digger..do you use something like Bulbtone for fertilizer?

I posted on the Bulb forum I have a really healthy looking patch of old hyacinth amid a thick stand of forsythia. Now in the second spring here, they still don't produce any flower stalks.
    Would fertilizing at a certain time of year invigorate them to flower next February?

• Lynda Waldrep
    11 years ago

At a seminar Saturday, I heard, "Light, water, sugar," i.e., fertilizer. I would check all three, especially the light. Some of my plants from 10 years ago have stopped blooming because the trees have grown so much. Too much shade. I need to limb up!