Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anxiously awaiting the spring garden

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 14:24

Hello folks. We took a year off from gardening. With a 3 and 1 year old in the house, there just hasn't been time. The garden has been dormant for four seasons and has a generous topping of 2 acres worth of leaves and a year's worth of chicken manure. I fully expect to turn it over this weekend and get an eye full of beautiful, rich wormy earth. We usually wait until April to plant but I'm feeling a little more sprite this year. I know there are things I can get started now, or at least a a few weeks. Maybe some lettuces, and other greens I'd like to try. I'm interested in hear what you Carolinians are getting started now in your late winter gardens. I'm especially interested in growing English peas, which I know very little about. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anxiously awaiting the spring garden

I sow most of my seeds in the basement in trays under lights. Lettuce, broccoli, spinach and kale are already up and at 'em. Carrots, onions, garlic and shallots are already growing from a fall planting. Any day now I will sow peas (Snow and Garden peas) and nasturtiums - in the ground outside, they hate to be transplanted. I have a whole new area behind my blueberry row that I have been working on all winter. I will fill it with pumpkins and melons this summer. After that I am officially out of room...well, except for that stretch along the driveway leading out to the mailbox...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here