Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy shubs

Posted by Ntopher North Carolina (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 15:04

Hello,
I just bought my first home! It is on a secluded driveway, I share with two other homes. My home faces the driveway which is a little raised and on the other side of it is one of the other homes which has a very busy front yard. I want to plant some privacy shrubs lining my side of the driveway. The shrubs don't need to be to tall because the home is lower then the driveway and other home but I want something that is dense all year long, does not need a lot of maintenance and does well in direct sun. Any suggestions!? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy shubs

How large, and do you have other concerns? The generic set of large evergreen shrubs that are popular around here are things like gardenias, rhododendrons, and azaleas. There's a large purplish leaved bush that can be highly pruned to serve any size and shape hedge, I can never remember the name but from a quick Google search it may be Cotinus/ smoke bush. Any classic hedge shrub would work as well if privacy trumps flowers. Boxwood, holly, and that sort of thing.

I personally love gardenias because propagating them just requires dropping the trimmings in a bottle in the window. They root as easily as basil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here