Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Container plants and upcoming ice/snow-advice needed

lsst
13 years ago

I am in Upstate SC and ice/snow is predicted Sunday. The temps are to fall into the 20's.

I bought some 1 gallon container boxwoods at a great price.

Each gallon pot has three small boxwood plants.They are a little windburn but overall are in good condition.

I am making a knot garden this spring and would normally have waited to buy them but at the price, I could not resist. I will not be planting them in the ground until March or April

I am in the process of separating the boxwoods and giving each one its own 1 gallon pot. They are not root bound and are coming apart very easily with good root systems.

When all is said and done I will have about 130 plants.

What I need to know is: What should I do with them with the upcoming weather?

Should I keep them in an unheated garage until the ice/snow has passed? I would put them out next Wednesday.

Should I go ahead and put the pots outside in a sheltered area? I have a small NE facing court yard that is sheltered on three sides by my house. The plants would still get covered in ice and snow.

I have a SW exposure area that is a concrete covered patio but it is not as sheltered from strong winds.

My main concern is the pots getting too cold and possibly freezing the roots.

The pots are basic black and green utility pots.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• subtropix
    13 years ago

How cold does your unheated garage get would you say?--As you say, concern is NOT with the snow or sleet but cold temps for containerized plants. I overwinter my containerized 'cold' and 'subtropicals' in a cold (40-60F) but frost free garage (glass windows/doors on the front face due south so there's quite a bit of sun). If your garage is just as cold as outside, I would put them in that protected NE exposure you described but bury the pots in a bed of mulch. By the way, I grow the Dwarf English Box and it makes for one absolutely gorgeous formal hedge--good luck with that knot garden!

PS., Attached is a pic taken from back window of the storm that "missed" us (we ended up with six inches of snow.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks njoasis!

My garage was 42 degrees last night when it was 16 outside.
    It has a SE exposure and is fairly sheltered. The garage door has windows.
    There is a retaining wall and the concrete driveway which tends to hold in some heat.

I decided to put the plants in the garage in an area so that when it is above freezing I can open the garage door and the plants can get sun.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

Just keep them in the garage and make sure they are damp. FYI, I have a boxwood hedge next to my cistern. We are at 3,200 feet and those plants are exposed to cold, snow, and ice off and on beginning in late October and going through til it thaws out in March. As a mater of fact, the bottom portions become boxwood-sicles because the spray from the overflow of the cistern splashes onto them and freezes.
    I just love them because they are so hardy and give me some green in winter. The downside is they are also close to my creek-side deck and boxwoods do have a sorta cat pee smell.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks coorscat!

The plants seem to be doing fine. I will make sure they are kept damp.
    The garage temperature is staying around 40 to 44 degrees.
    Hopefully, they will not suffer too much transplant shock.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

I think you and your boxwoods are going to be just fine!

• subtropix
    13 years ago

Those conditions are fine! Yes, they do have that certain aroma--been described as anything from musky, pee, body odor, fertilizer, to wet dog... On the plus side, deer HATE Box. Some people hate the smell and some people are led to recall fond childhood memories. I find it kind of earthy and think of Spring.

• lsst
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was able to open the garage door for a couple of hours today. The plants received about two hours of sun.
    So far -So good!

I have some dwarf boxwood near my front door and after it rains they do smell like cat pee! I still love them though!

• subtropix
    13 years ago

Box are, without a doubt, most superior as a formal hedge. I love'em too! Are you growing herbs as well? �Not really too well informed on "Knot gardens". What exactly are they? I also love herbs because guess what...deer hate them. Love especially rosemary, bay, lemon verbena, LAVENDER, chamomile, greek oregano, sage, and thyme.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists