Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old-Fashioned Daffodils (Lent Lilies) Are Blooming in Zone 7b

Posted by jay_7bsc (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 18:23

Oh, happy day! The little, old-fashioned yellow daffodils are nodding their lovely heads here in our corner of Zone 7b. "If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" As if we've had any real winter this year--knock on wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old-Fashioned Daffodils (Lent Lilies) Are Blooming in Zone 7b

That's great. They must be a really early variety.
Sprigs of the forsythia bushes have a few blossoms open where they get the most sun.

Can you force forsythia cuttings to bloom?

o

Sunday,I saw an old fashioned daffodil blooming in front of an old homestead near Tryon NC.

I was so surprised.

o

They are that old daffodil dating back to the colonial era in American gardens and seen at old house sites and along the roadside throughout the Southeast--like the snowdrops, aka snowflakes, jonquils (Campernelles), and Roman hyacinths, cherished by generations of gardeners. The Lent lilies came over with the European colonists and have been grown in the Old World for centuries. The are the "host" of daffodils in that famous Wordsworth poem.

Yes, "golden bell," or forsythia, can easily be forced for indoor arrangements this time of the year. Just snip an odd-number of branches and put them inside the house in a vase. A cut-glass, crystal vase would be pretty with a forced arrangement of forsythia. Add a little "breath-of-spring," (_Lonicera fragrantissima_), wintersweet (_Chimonanthus praecox_) and/or Japanese Flowering Apricot (_Prunus mume_) for fragrance. A few camellias would be a nice touch.

o

A coworker told me this morning that her tulips are 6" high!I haven't saw any Daffodils yet. If this weather keeps up I'm starting some tomatoes! LOL

o

Hello! Haven't been on forums in a while but had to post about these lovely little daffs.
For years my sister and I have found them out on the old family homestead that dates back to the late 1700s.
Thank you Jay for the background info!
We have transplanted many of these cheerful little plants/bulbs so we could enjoy them at home.
Co-workers always call them "lilies" and Mom calls them "jonquils." Whatever you call them, they are the sweetest preview of spring to me.

o

i had my first one blooming early last week- so surprised to see it since my jetfires typically bloom first and it was an ice follies. actually, normally my species crocus bloom first...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here