Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaaaaaa_gw

Seed swaps/Garden Clubs in Cary NC area.

aaaaaaaa
9 years ago

Hi all,
I moved to Cary area just past week. I have been posting here for quite some time now, even before my move! I would like to know if there are any seed swaps/ garden clubs etc in this area. I am sure some of you like triangleJohn may be able to give me some lead. I would appreciate your response.

Thank you.
Anna

Comments (8)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Since Cary and Raleigh are so close together I believe most Cary gardeners participate in the Raleigh Swaps. I haven't heard of any Cary only swaps or clubs but this area is full of "garden" clubs so it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few in that town (I put "garden" in quotes because most of them will be social clubs and not really about gardening). Cary is close to the JC Raulston Arboretum off of Hillsborough St in Raleigh and it has lots of activities including a swap for its large volunteer crew and members of the 'Friends of the Arboretum'. Ralph is active in that so he may chime in with all their info.

The Raleigh Swap will be in late April most likely. If there is enough interest in a Winter Seed Swap we can organize it here on this forum. I need to get rid of a bunch of seed more than I need new seeds so I'm up for it. We used to aim for late January/Early February for our seed swaps because that was when most of us were sowing our early season seeds.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you trianglejohn. I am up for winter seed swap too. I have bunch of organic heirloom varieties that I could swap. More than anything else, I would like to get acquainted with growing season and conditions here.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I usually start some of my veggies around the end of this month indoors under lights - lettuce, spinach, other greens and onions and carrots, celery. Next month I'll start the tomatoes and peppers. In the ground can be tricky because late winter/early spring has a lot up and down swings in the temps. I tend to sow things a couple of times just in case I lose all the seedlings. If I end up with backup plants that I don't need I just take them to the swap in the Spring.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great info trianglejohn. Thanks. That gives me a starting point. I will try your sowing plan. Also, I visited Logan's today, and learnt that they are offering 6 week class on Organic Vegetable Gardening. I may be attending that too, just to get more info on soil conditions, growing conditions etc.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I am a regular fixture at Logans. I eat at the cafe every Saturday. They have all the supplies you'll ever need for home veggie growing and they are also the drop off point for any of your extra produce (Plant A Row program where gardeners donate their surplus which is given to local food banks).

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info about Logans, I will have to visit them.

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

Anna, there are three different gardening programs on-going at the JC Raulston Arboretum. The Gardeners of Wake County will have their annual seed swap at their next meeting on Tuesday night Jan 20th. They meet the third Tuesday night (7:30 I think) of each month. Here is a link to their web page. http://www.gardenersofwakecounty.org/ I am not a member but attend occasionally and plan to be at this meeting. Each meeting they have a 45-minute program with a speaker with some unique gardening insight.

The Piedmont chapter of the Rock Garden Society meets at 9:30am at the arboretum, usually on the third Saturday morning of each month. They also have a speaker at each program and a plant auction sale at the conclusion of the meeting. (Members donate plants for the auction.) Most members of the Rock Garden Society are also members of the Friends of the J C Raulston Arboretum, as am I. The JCRA has programs approximately every other Thursday night at 7:30 pm as well as a number of events on weekends. You can find out more from these organizations web sites. but if you have additional questions, feel free to email me.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ralphw. Yes, I am planning to visiting JC Raulston Arboretum on 20th. Exited to learn lot from this group.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm