Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmoney

Agave victoria-reginae hardiness

seedmoney
9 years ago

Hi,
Has anyone successfully grown these outside in North Carolina? I'm in the Outer Banks (Zone 8a).
Tony Avent of Plants Delight nursery claims they are hardy to Zone 7 but I find he is very generous with his zones. Anybody have real-life experience with growing these outside? There is conflicting advice on the web; some sites say don't let get below 50F, while others say hardy to Zone 7.

Comments (8)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I have seen them succeed here around Raleigh but I have also seen them fail. You would have to keep them well drained, I think winter wet does more damage then winter cold. To me, they are too pretty to risk.

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response, John. Mine are 12 year-old, seed-grown specimens and I would be heartbroken if they died. They will stay safely in the greenhouse.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I have some succulents that I plant each spring and dig up each winter. If I ever get an A. victoria-reginae again I will keep it in a pot and sink it in the cactus garden and just bring it in once temps get super cold.

I have some hardy succulents that I take cuttings from each fall. Some winters the mother plant dies due to harsh weather and some years it survives. I always have the cuttings as back up plants just in case.

• chadec
    9 years ago

I see this plant growing at both PDN and NC zoo. Here north of Winston Salem I cover most agave with a large plastic tote which works miracles. V-R comes through the winters unfased as long as it's kept dry. But I hit -1 degree F last winter with 18" of snow. Examples of plastic tote as protection below.
    {{gwi:2123396}}{{gwi:480056}}{{gwi:2123397}}

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

zone 7 becauyse I It can stand dry cold better than wet cold ... but if it's a treasured plant, find a way to bring it in for the winter.

Arizona State says:
    Hardiness zones
    Sunset 11-13, 18-24
    USDA 9-11

I have my doubts about zone 7, because I don't see many growing here in Zone 8 except in favorable microclimates.

They are slow growing and could be "plunged" in the summers.

• seedmoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chadec thanks for the pictures. I really like your idea of using plastic totes. If I decide to "sacrifice" a victoria-reginae I would plant it on a well-drained sandy slope near my house. I planted Bulbine frutescens 'Hallmark' (supposedly root hardy to Zone 8, but this has not been my experience) here, too in the hopes it will return. Spring will tell. If the Bulbine returns, I will give the VR a go.

Lazygardens, the reason I don't "plunge" my tender Agaves is that they put out roots several feet into the soil which I have to prune before bringing them in to the greenhouse. Having previously gardened in Zone 7b I agree with your assessment that plants have a better chance at hardiness when dry.

I wonder if PDN's declaration of Zone 8 VR hardiness just means return from the roots at the expense of the mother plant?

• chadec
    9 years ago

All of PDN's agaves survive outside and if they die back then they are not considered hardy. Alot does depend on where the seed was collected. Last winter I lost 2 agave ovatifolia that where 5' and my smaller and slower one that is 3' survived unprotected. The biggest thing with PDN is soil amendment. Here are some pics I took a few yrs back.

{{gwi:564827}}{{gwi:2123398}}{{gwi:564824}}

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    9 years ago

In the linked thread, there are several interesting pictures of hardy subtropicals, including Agave victoriae-reginae, in European Zone 7b (Austria). In spite of their current winter being mild (brief 14F minimum) and well-drained soil, it shows the most damage of the agaves shown. But overall they handled snow quite well without any protection.

Hardy Succulents in Austria