Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaaaaaa_gw

Neem plant?

aaaaaaaa
9 years ago

Hi,
Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can anyone suggest any online place to order them. Thanks in advance.

Anna

Comments (11)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I have purchased baby trees from Horizon Herbs in the past but not Neem. I like their products and everything I've bought is still alive years later but keep in mind Neem is gonna be tricky this far north unless you have a greenhouse.

https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=2475

There is also Vedic Gardens and Nursery in Morrisville (right beside Cary) they specialize in garden plants from India. www.vedicgardens.com I have never been there so I have no idea if they carry Neem but the owner is supposed to be quite knowledgeable so he would be someone to ask.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again thanks trianglejohn. Yeah, horizonherbs is awesome. I have had very good experience with them. About a decade ago I bought curry leaves plant and seeds from them. Plant is still with me! And all seeds germinated too.
    I visited Vedic gardens past fall. Although I saw several tropical plants, I am not impressed with the way they conducts business---- there are no plant labels and price tags on any plant/seeds (seeds were labeled) and looks like they make up price by looking at the customer. All those seeds packs were just dumped in one box with water marks on them. They were also not aware of very common tropical herbs that I inquired about. They behave like they are in some kind of hurry (even with couple of customers around) and also receipt was not provided upon purchase. This is my experience with them, others may find them ok.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

aaaaaaaa - BB's down in Sanford (about an hour away from you) has them. I bought one the last time I was down there. Email me if you need directions. I will be going down there again this Spring if you want to go along. I forgot to mention this the other day when we met for lunch.

• annanc14
    9 years ago

Thanks trianglejohn. Will let you know. Meanwhile what is BB's? (old--aaaaaaaa; new--annaNC14)

• chas045
    9 years ago

anna: gardenweb had a semi-strict policy against people mentioning commercial establishments. I imagine that houzz might be more lax and more strict at the same time since I gather that they 'help' sell products ('thou I never even heard of them before). BB refers to a HUGE impressive garden center in Sanford. I imagine you would figure out which one they are if you googled 'garden centers'.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Hi Anna - I figured it was you. As Chas045 says, in the past we were forbidden to mention certain garden centers by name. If you did it too much they would ban you from posting. Next time we meet I will explain it all to you - just know that there is a great garden center about an hour south of you and also a really good one up in Richmond VA (about 2.5 hours north of you).

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    8 years ago

Hello farmsteward,

I would like to know how big was the tree when you got it and did you plant it in the ground right away.

I though they did not like cold winters, so it is great to know I can still grow Neem in My yard and not as as a potted plant. I have been pondering about getting it and would like to know more on the care you give it..

Thanks!!

Aaaaa (,Anna) Did you get it ? The neem tree I mean?

• trianglejohn
    8 years ago

The plant they are selling (and which I bought) is NOT the real Neem tree. It is Japanese Neem Tree or Premna microphylla japonica, not even related to the real Neem. I can only find the use of it as a bonsai specimen online, it apparently has none of the properties of real Neem but it is winter hardy (kinda).

8 years ago

Hey John, That does not even look anything like a neem tree.

Toona would be a better choice, they are related... I think..

8 years ago

Whoever has this tree, could you post pictures..?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro