Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

The weed from haities.....

User
15 years ago

Please someone must be able to help me.

I have this weed, it is everywhere, so others must know what it is.

It has long slender leaves, which this time of eyar are either purple or green, or both, it has little yellow flowers, it grows as a small "bush" and then these horrible vine things grow out of it and up trees or anything near it.

They seem to be rhisomes of some sort.

THey strangle trees, bushes, telephone poles, and they breed so fast.

It took me about a month to dig up a small area of my yard for a flower bed.

I had bags and bags of these weeds.

I have another whole area that I would like to plant various shrubs for privacy, but they are so thick in this area I think it will take me the rest of the winter to dig them up.

Does anyone know the weed I am describing?

Is the only way to get rid of them to dig them up?

Is there something I could put on the ground after I dig them up to discourage them from regrowing?

Thank you all in advance.

ANy suggestions will be acted on.

Comments (6)

• m_taggart
    15 years ago

Maybe a picture would help narrow it down. I'm new to the carolinas and I can think only of Japanese Honeysuckle or Kudzu. It doesn't sound like either though.

• dellare
    15 years ago

I wonder if its Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens). It was growing on my property and I am still pulling it out of random areas in my yard. Here is a link to a Dave's Garden page on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Jessamine

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Sounds like Japanese honeysuckle. Pulling it up will work...eventually. But if you want faster results, Roundup is the way to go. Since it's a new area, spray the grass/weeds you have there with Roundup now, and then in a month you can go back and plant. The weeds will be dead and the soil will be OK to plant in.

But you will never be free of Japanese honeysuckle! It is an insidious monstrosity that keeps popping up. My woods are literally carpeted with it (I don't spray there if I can help it...poison ivy is the exception!). And to think they still sell Japanese honeysuckle at Home Depot...

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Sounds like Japanese honeysuckle to me as well.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

My goodness, have you coined a new phrase, i.e., "the weed from haities"? Or do you really mean "the weed from Hades," which everyone knows is kudzu--that pervasive Oriental vine with which many Carolinians have a love/hate relationship? Of course, kudzu strips itself naked as the unfortunately deforested hills of Haiti when the thermometer drops to thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit and when in flower is adorned with wisteria-like purple blossoms that emit a delicious aroma.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your never going to believe this,
    I'm at Home Depo yesterday picking up some plants for my front groundcover out by my trench, when I see this hideous plant being sold!
    It was a dark purple color, which I am sure is because of the time of year, because it can be green also.
    They were selling it as "Asiatic Jasmine".
    THey are selling this horrible vine as a ground cover!
    I put this in search and the people at Dave's are complaining about it. They say once you have it, you'll never get rid of it.
    I believe it.
    I'm cutting it at the base of my trees, but it will just grow up again.
    Round up has no effect on it.
    I bet it is Kudzo, or a cousin of it.
    I'm just going to be busy for the rest of my life I guess, because it is everywhere.
    It's a shame. I wish people would be more careful as to what they buy and plant, and when it gets out of control, they should just dig it up.
    It's not honeysuckle, but just as nasty.
    It's all over the highways too.
    I will post a picture of this thing in a few days.
    Thanks everyone.
    WHen you all see the pic you wil know what it is.