susie_60nc

Hellebore Photo

susie_60nc
15 years ago

Anemone Hellebore Photo...........{{gwi:555697}}

Comments (41)

• dellare
    15 years ago

Gorgeous picture susie. I bet this is the first of hundreds of flowers you get from your hellebores. Adele

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Adele........I hope i have thousands of flowers.My hellebores just started opening good this week.Hellebores r my addiction........Diane

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

Absolutely lovely photo. I hope you'll post more as they come on.

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is another photo.........{{gwi:555698}}to..........

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hellebore Bud...........{{gwi:555699}}

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous, I love the picotees and that anemone looks like chenille. Where do you get your hells from?

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Karen,I get my seed and plants from different catalogs & garden centers.If i see one i like i must have.......Diane

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Diane, do you ever order seed from Elizabeth Town?

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Beautiful! What a welcome sight in January. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

more photos.........{{gwi:555700}}

......{{gwi:555701}}............

{{gwi:555702}}.............
    {{gwi:555703}}.............
    {{gwi:555704}}.................
    {{gwi:555705}}

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Diane, just gorgeous. I've only got two x hybridus open now, but several on the verge. Is the one in the last photo from the Pine Knot Farms variegated strain? What do the blooms look like on that one, and has the variegation been stable?

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Karen, I am not sure where the variegated one came from.the blooms r white.When ever it blooms i will post a picture.The variegation stays all yr long.I have got some nice seedlings from it.Diane

• bubba62
    15 years ago

Love the picotee anemone form above. I have hundreds of plants in bud right now, but only H. x nigercors (which has been in full bloom since November), H. foetidus, and one plant of H. niger in actual open blossom yet. Interesting that the picotees tend to be among the latest blooming strains in my garden.

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bubba62, Please post some pictures of your plants when they bloom.Karen i hope you post pictures too.This is just the start for the hellebore blooming season.The white blooming hellebore is the first in my gardens to bloom.....Diane

• bubba62
    15 years ago

Here's the link to a post I did on my blog last February with numerous pics of my plants and info on how I attempt to grow them. It's the post from Feb. 17, 2008.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebore post

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi bubba62, Would you please drop me a private email.I want to ask for some info on some of your plants......thanks.......Diane........tdjh3@yahoo.com

• plantbug
    15 years ago

Diane,

Lovely plants and pictures. Thanks for posting them so we could also enjoy the beauty. plantbug

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Plantbug.........I took these today......

{{gwi:555706}}.......

{{gwi:555707}}

{{gwi:555708}}

{{gwi:555709}}
    Bearclaw Hellebore..
    {{gwi:555710}}

• efine50
    15 years ago

My variegated bearclaw hellebore is showing it's winter stuff. In the spring the leaves are green with yellow highlights.

{{gwi:555711}}

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Miss Fine.......U know u got to share with me.......that's a pretty bearclaw photo..........Diane

• efine50
    15 years ago

Here's another variegated one that had reseeded in my hellebore bed.

{{gwi:555712}}

• plantbug
    15 years ago

Diane, what kind of camera do you have? Good closeups.

efine, a nice plant!

plantbug

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi PLantbug.....I have a Minolta Digital Camera that I use my 35mm lens on.I use a macro lens for the close ups.I will post more photos of the hellebores in the next few weeks....enjoy...Diane

• DYH
    15 years ago

Diane - stunning hellebores and photos!

I can't wait to grow enough shade to plant a few.

Recently, I've been looking into winter blooms (posting info on my blog) because we're enjoying our winter daphne so much. The flowering apricot trees are blooming right now and I've been taking photos of those as I go out and about our area.

We're so fortunate to have twelve blooming months -- if we plan and plant accordingly.

Cameron

• susie_60nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cameron,You dont have to plant them in full shade.I have some in full sun....

Hellebore pics from today..........
    {{gwi:555713}}...
    {{gwi:555714}}.......
    ....{{gwi:555715}}.....
    {{gwi:555716}}

• DYH
    15 years ago

My full sun garden is far too hot without some afternoon shade. Heucheras burn up. My willow and magnolia will soon be large enough.

• tiarella
    15 years ago

Susie, the hellebore that you first posted; does it have a name? Is there somewhere I could look for it; I really like it.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

This may be a dumb question, but are hellebores a type of anemone? Or is that just the name of that type of hellebore in the first pic? Thanks :)

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

the first photo is...........Picotee Anenome Hybrids.....excuse me red neck spelling..............

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

2-13-09-Hellebores..................
    {{gwi:555717}}.......
    {{gwi:555719}}.....
    {{gwi:555721}}.....
    {{gwi:555722}}.....
    {{gwi:555723}}......
    {{gwi:555724}}......
    {{gwi:555725}}

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Diane, is the green one a species hell or an x hybridus?

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

Hi Karen......The green flower is Helleborus Cyclophyllus.........

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

I thought it might be. That one's on my wish list this year. I've got a couple of the other green flowering species (odorus, viridis, dumetorum) and really like how they look in the woods.

Did you have any problems with bud development after that

• mikelsmisha
    15 years ago

Great pictures!

Anemone is just a descriptive term.

To see (and shop!) for hellebores, don't miss Plant Delight's open house coming up 02/27/09 and 02/28/09, plus the next weekend of 03/06 and 03/07.

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

Hi Karen, I got some brown on some of the buds from the freeze.I dont think it hurt the flower in any way.I have many more to open.I will take a closer look...thanks.....Diane

Hi Mike, I dont do PD open house.I have ordered from them and got piss poor plants.I called them , emailed them, over 6-8 times......I would rather order my hellebores out of the country than deal with PD...........Diane

• keithrnjd
    15 years ago

I am lusting in my heart...

Sal

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

OMG - those hellbores are beautiful - I have about 5 plants that 'may' bloom for me this year. It seems like it is taking forever. Some have been in the ground for 4 years from a mail-order source. Are they difficult to start from seed???? - I am heavy into WSing but haven't tried them yet.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures - what a delight while we wait for spring to hit in full force. My daphne is downright intoxicating right now - love it .....

Lynne

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

Hi Lynne, I start most of my hellebore from seed.There is a hellebore forum on GW, it has some great information on growing hellebore from seed.I have about 20-30 pots outside now waiting to germinate.I should see them in nov-dec-09..........it takes time.........lots of it....I am glad you liked the pictures..........Diane

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

2-15-09-Hellebore Photo.........
    {{gwi:555726}}.......
    {{gwi:555727}}...
    {{gwi:555728}}..............
    ALMOST Black Hellebore....
    {{gwi:555729}}......
    {{gwi:555730}}

• carla17
    15 years ago

Susie, the different ones you have are beautiful, and great shots too.

Carla

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

Hellebore Photos...........
    {{gwi:555731}}.....
    {{gwi:555732}}
    {{gwi:555733}}......
    {{gwi:555734}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!