Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenklutz

Pre-emergent weed control suggestion

gardenklutz
18 years ago

OK, so it's time to put out pre-emergent weed control. Can anyone suggest something that works? I tried Preen last year and was not thrilled with the results. I need something for the lawn and possibly something for a large area of juniper. All summer long I was treating the lawn for weeds and hand pulling in the juniper, ugh - so boring. Is there anything that will kill the millions of tree seedlings that pop up without killing the plants?

Thanks for your help.......

Comments (12)

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Right on time!!! I was just going to go out and buy some Preen for a new project. If there is something better I sure would like to know too.

• gaylek
    18 years ago

I would like to know also. I would like to know also how frequently you put out pre-emergents.
    Somewhere I have read that a pre-emergent needs to be reapplied to cover fall weeds/ winter weeds. Do you use Preen for this also?
    Thanks!
    Gayle

• pyrmomma
    18 years ago

Hi! I just ordered 100 pounds of corn gluten and I don't have a clue when to put it out. Anyone know when to put this stuff out? Thanks!

• nancyofnc
    18 years ago

Corn gluten meal usually gets put down when the forsythia's bloom. I know we have some blooming around Raleigh now with the warm winter but normal bloom time is more like 3 or 4 weeks from now. I'd hold off because we will get some very cold weather and it works as the soil warms, not as it cools since it works on the developing root structure.

• tamelask
    18 years ago

thanks, nan! i bought some last yr and never got it out. now i know when to use it this yr. i'm hoping it will help control the microstegium. tam

• nancyofnc
    18 years ago

To be effective you'll need to apply it for seven years as that is how long the seed is viable. An old saying is, "One year of seeding yields seven years of weeding."

• pyrmomma
    18 years ago

Seven years! Dang, I was sorta hopin it might help right away! I had to order this stuff from Montana cause I couldn't find it here! Any NC connections for corn gulten? I take that back one place told me that hey could get it but I had buy 3 tons! Thanks, Janet

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

I tried corn gluten for Microstegium control last year and didn't see any effect at all. It grew up just as thick as ever. I've used Preen in a different area and it works pretty well. It reduces germination so that hand pulling the remainder is manageable. In areas where I've used Preen plus pulling for two years I'm seeing very little germination unless I get in there and disturb the soil for some reason. Last year I also made a dent (I hope) with grass-b-gone, spraying a few weeks before it started to set seed.

I bought my corn gluten at Durham Garden Center and at Barnes Supply. The guy at Barnes was willing to make a special order for me, and I only had to commit to one bag.

• tamelask
    18 years ago

i got mine at a feed store in north raleigh, close the sri show warehouse. don't recall the name now. was like $30 a big bag.

• mudqueen
    18 years ago

Here's my strategy, see what you think. Clear the ground of trash and sticks, etc. Trim up any small shrubs or perennials so you can see what you're doing. Take old newspapers and make a pad with 7 layers of newsprint. Starting at the outward edge, begin layering sections of pads, like you're shingling a roof. Overlap the pads so that it's not easy for soil to wash under the edges. Do not put the newspaper right up next to shrub trunks or perennial crowns. Next, mulch at the proper depth with material of choice. Next, sprinkle the Preen over the mulch, keeping it from staying on the leaves of shrubs or other plants. This helps keep perennial weeds from coming up and starving them of light. The Preen helps prevent blown in seeds from germinating. You have to reapply the Preen after 3 months, by the way. The newspaper will degrade over a single season, but by then it's prevented many weed seeds from germinating. The earthworms like it too! If you do this regularly, weeds become less and less.

• wgafaw
    18 years ago

I was planning on trying preemergent this spring but I heard something this weekend that I may try instead. They said that probably most of the weeds in your yard liked the ph of your soil (which mine is acidic) so if you bring your ph closer to 7 it should help keep the weeds down (for me that means adding lime). I think that would be cheaper than Preem. Anybody try this yet?

Thanks
    JP

• Ralph Whisnant
    18 years ago

Corn gluten is available as Fertrell Weedban from Organic Farming and Gardening Supplies (www.7springsfarm.com) for $34.25 per 50 pound bag (plus shipping). However, I believe that the owner specially orders it and may have already done so for this spring. Also, sold as WOW by Gardens Alive. (www.gardensalive.com) A local source saves shipping costs.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022