Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Noble Muscadines

Posted by susandonb (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 08 at 22:00

Hi,

I have searched the forums here and did not see anything on this topic so I would like to ask a question.

We live in Stokes county on the Rockingham county line. and we have some land that is a slope. It is not so steep that you have to crawl up it but it is steep and levels off nicely at the bottom.

The slope faces East and I think a bit North. My question is, would I plant the vines up and down the slope or horizontally accross the slope and terrace the hill?

I hope my question is not too vaque, I have read about planting grape vines on slopes but the info I read did not give examples of the degree of slope or direction of planting the vines.

Thank you all for any advice you can provide.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Noble Muscadines

i don't know, since i don't grow grapes, but did you ck with the NC co-op site? they have lots of great advice on varieties and methods of growing stuff for this area. you could also ck in the edible landscaping forum, but since it's national, it may not do you as much good. good luck!

o
RE: Growing Noble Muscadines

Generally and as I recall, there is a trade-off between planting to minimize erosion - across the slope - and to maximize sunlight, which in your case would seem to be almost down the slope (if my memory and spatial imagination are both working correctly), since you want the rows to run north/south so the sun hits both sides of the row in the AM AND in the PM. If there is a viticulture or grape-growing forum, you might ask there. There may be books available also - try your local library or inter-library loan.

I think your best bet would be to contact your local county extension agent and have him/her come out and take a look and advise you on the best siting. Seeing the site can give much better information than trying to visualize it. Look in the phone book under gov't offices, or google for your county's offices. If there isn't one for your county, then there may well be one for a neighboring county - they will usually cover both counties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here