Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplefirefly

Free Mulch?

purplefirefly
18 years ago

I am hearing in other forums that there is a way to get free mulch from county extentions. Anyone heard of that here in NC? I am in Cherryville, in Gaston County.

Comments (24)

• seedbandito
    18 years ago

Gaston County does it twice a year, $10 for a truck load. Mulch or compost!! I'm talking a HUGE load, too!!!!! We drove 2 trucks from Concord and the load was way up over the cab & made my 4x4 squat!!

If you email me with your email addy, I'll forward 2 emails from the ladies over the sales with all the pertinent poop on it.

Nancy

• purplefirefly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't see your email anywhere on your pages so here is my email: purplefirefly2003@yahoo.com. We are trying to get everything going in this new yard on a tight budget, so this will be just a god send, thank you so much for the info!

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

If you click on the journal link, you will find the e-mail link there.

• purplefirefly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks alicia, I found it.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Anyone know of cheap or free mulch in South Carolina?

• joefalco
    18 years ago

Depends on where in SC, I get mine from a guy that carves tiki statues, but thats in North Myrtle Beach. Depending on where you are you will have different sources.

It has been suggested to call tree trimming services as a source for free mulch.

• new2nocarolina
    18 years ago

I know that in Raleigh you can get a truck load of mulch for 16.00 or compost for 20.00. It is on New Hope Road. They fill it up full for you. You just need to cover it with something.We got the leaf litter type the first time and it was ok as a bottom layer and then we top dressed with the nicer stuff.

• jreamy4
    18 years ago

Mulch and compost is for sale in columbia by the aspca on shop road.....its been selling for $25 a cubic yard.

• gw:lost-in-the-garden
    18 years ago

Is there compost available all the time in Raleigh? That's a great price! Do you have a number for them?

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

lost
    the town of carrboro has free leaf compost at their public works yard (hwy54 & smith level road) for anyone who shows up.

• gw:lost-in-the-garden
    18 years ago

That's even closer for me, I'm in Pittsboro. Do they have it all the time or just on occassion?

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

they have it year-round, weekdays. i believe one saturday per month, also.

• lindanc
    18 years ago

Free mulch in Greenville, NC? Thanks, Linda

• davidwczerr
    18 years ago

Hi, I also live in Gaston Co. and would be very interested in the details of the mulch and compost. Would someone be willing to send me an e-mail with the information?

Please send to: dwczerrAThotmail.com (replace AT w/ @)

Thanks, David

• amy1
    17 years ago

There was a Mulch giveaway at the gaston county solid waste recycling divison (704) 922-0267, 3120 philadelphia Church rd. I think its in Dallas. Free you have to pick it up they load the truck or trailers for you. on wednesdays they give away to commercial vehicles and pick ups from 8-12 and 1-4. Then only to pick up trucks on saturdays 8-12 and 1-4. It has a little trash in it sometimes, but smells good and free. They will continue every Wed and Sat until it is all gone. They do this twice a year. I think just about every county in NC an SC do this

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaston County, NC Solid Waste Division

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    17 years ago

Winston-Salem NC has 2 free giveaways of leaf compost; 1 in Spring, 1 in Fall. I always post it a few weeks in advance. I will do it now, since it's soon. First, I must check the website http://www.cityofws.org

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

I thought I would bump this thread and see if I could get any advice. Anyone know of a source for inexpensive compost for my vegetable garden? I'm near Concord.

I've checked craiglist and the City of Concord (and Kannapolis). Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

For people living in southern and western parts of Wake County, there is the Hwy 55 C &DB Landfill just off Hwy 55 Bypass just south of Holly Springs. (Their phone no. is 367-2895 and their address is 5940 Old Smithfield Rd. - Apex) Their compost is very clean and is only $12 a yard or pickup load. They have mulch for $5 per load, but it is pretty coarse ground up limbs and such. They are open daily plus half a day Saturday, but it is always a good idea to call ahead to make sure that there is someone available to load the stuff for you.

• mfc1
    15 years ago

Winston Salem had a free mulch (leaf compost) last Easter weekend and will also have it this friday and saturday. I have a link to all the info and directions on my gardening forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Ground (Gardening in NC)

• token28001
    15 years ago

Stanly County has free leaf and wood mulch at the landfill on 52S near the fairground. You just need a pickup truck and a tarp. They'll load it for you anytime, except the day after it rains. Too wet to get back there.

• tlmckay
    12 years ago

I am reviving this thread once again as I need to find affordable (or better yet, free!) compost.

I just moved to Fuquay Varina in Wake County. I very much would like to install 3 - 4 raised beds this year at our new home, but can't afford all the compost it would take to fill them.

Can anyone please tell me where I can currently find inexpensive, clean compost and/or soil for my organic garden? We have a pick-up and tarps so we're prepared.

I see others have suggested in the past to go to the landfill. Isn't there a concern about contaminants in that compost?

Thank you so much for the help!

• tamelask
    12 years ago

the landfill mulch is highly variable and sometimes you do get oddball things in it (nails, small plastic toys, shreds of bags) but for the most part it's fine. It varies depending on what's going into it- time of year, any natural disasters, etc. Best batch i've gotten was after Fran- very woody but made great mulch, and very little 'extras'. It's a good deal for what you get- and you can watch b/c sometimes they run buy one get one free deals- but you have to make 2 trips in one day for it to hold true.

If you're in fuquay and are willing to drive a little bit, there's a place in garner you an load up for free. It's lakeside daylily farm on 50, right up n garner. He lets any of the tree contractors around dump their shredded/chipped stuff instead of paying to dump it at the waste management and has an enormous pile. If the gate's open, it's free for the taking and the gate's usually open. You can back right up to the pile in numerous spots and it only takes 15-20 mins for 2 to load a pickup truck full. Again, variable textures depending on what the material is and how long it's been there, but look around and you'll find something you can use. There's a smaller pile of well rotted stuff but you have to load that onto tarps or in cans b/c you can't get the trucks close enough.

Hope that helps!

• keeval
    12 years ago

This sounds really tempting to me, but I have a question.

When I pull weeds in my yard, I don't put them in our compost bin (I'm very new to composting), because I'd heard you can't assume the seeds will "die." I could be putting those weed seeds right back into my garden if I composted them. So, I always toss them into a lawn bag for the curbside pickup.

My question is, if I get compost from the landfill, aren't I risking getting someone else's weed seeds? For that matter, am I risking the same thing by buying compost from a garden center? Or is theirs composted at a high enough heat to ensure any seeds in it won't germinate?

• tamelask
    12 years ago

I haven't had real problems with weed seeds coming in with the landfill mulch in the past. I'm not 100% sure but from what i understand, they are turning those piles a lot to speed up the process, so it should be ok. I'd call the landfill and/or the company that you're considering and simply ask. If you got the free stuff at the daylily farm, no they don't turn it, but it's mostly woody mulch as opposed to leaves and weeds and grass, so i don't think that's as much an issue.