Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
twin-wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels

Posted by feedingthekids (okeehno@aol.com) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 22:49

Hey folks,

I'm building a 11'x 24' lean-to greenhouse onto the back of my house. It'll be a wood frame structure with twin-wall polycarbonate panels on top. Two questions . . .

1. What is the best twin-wall polycarbonate panel to use? Clear? Opaque? Lexan? Lexan Plus? Polygal? 6mm? 8mm? Etc?

2. Does anyone know where I can find any of these polycarbonate panels in the upstate? I'm in Walhalla, SC and so I can also easily make it to western NC or northeastern GA for pick-up. I only need 6 4'x 12' panels and having them shipped isn't cost effective.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: twin-wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels

I don't know but you might want to post your question on the Greenhouse and Garden Structures Forum. Perhaps they can give you some ideas about the vagaries of this stuff.

Nancy the nancedar

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse & Structures Forum GW

o

somebody posted on this forum last year with a whole bunch of references that you could get the twin-wall locally. let me dig and see if i can find it. i remember because we are considering using it as well. no discussion of what kind to use, and i don't know, either, so i'll be curious what you find out.

o
RE: twin-wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels2

here it is:

Here is a link that might be useful: twin-wall

o

There is also www.FarmTek.com - they have twin-wall panels made by Palram, custom @$5.95 per 4' sheet and 4x8' sheets @ $41.95. Shipping seems to be $7.00 per linear ft per package up to 12' - to a maximum no. of sheets per package of 50. They also have a roll of twin-wall corrugated plastic: 8' wide; each @ $7.39 per linear ft, and a 250' roll @$6.95/linear ft. They don't say what the shipping/freight charges on that would be. You can also call them - 1-800-327-6835. While I am not sure how much they would be price-wise compared to local sources, their prices for the water filters I have bought from them seems to be competitive ($5-7 against what I priced at Lowe's a few years ago at over $15!) - they have stuff for agricultural growing and storage, so they carry everything that can come under that heading - the specialty catalogue I just got, for that only, runs to 352 pages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here