Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Sun Coleus

Ralph Whisnant
17 years ago

I was thinking about new plant varieties to try this year and decided to look at what's listed at BB's website. I notice that, for example, they list several dozen varieties of Sun Coleus, but do not have pictures or detailed descriptions. The most comprehensive collection of coleus pictures, descriptions and sources that I have found is available at www.coleusfinder.org. One of the links I found there is to NC State's own Erv Ervins' pictures of Sun Coleus hybrids at the link below. Hope these pictures brighten your Winter's day and help if you are considering which of these plants to buy when warmer weather finally gets here. If you want still more coleus varieties, then go to www.coleusfinder.org, but be warned, it is huge.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC State Pictures of Sun Coleus

Comments (11)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    17 years ago

My favorite plant to tuck between shrubs and daylilies for a splash of color. Thanks for the photos.

• dellare
    17 years ago

I love sun coleus.

For color they are unsurpassed in a landscape.

I also have the distinct pleasure of working at BB's. One of the lovliest things I can say about this nursery is that in the spring they offer a mixture of all varieties of sun coleus they list in four packs. A flat is actually quite affordable.

Sun coleus are great to pop in here and there where color is lacking. I garden in sand so they are never as full or lush as they could be but nevertheless they earn their weight in gold.

I should post some pictures sometime. I'll look for mine if you guys will look for yours. Adele

• dellare
    17 years ago

Found some pictures this morning. Tried putting them right in this post but I couldn't get it right for some reason so I'm linking an album. The last four pictures are the sun coleus. Adele

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

• gardenklutz
    17 years ago

dellare - your garden pics are beautiful. Thanks for posting them. I'm looking for Coleus to grow in mostly full sun. Are all you Coleus truely sun tolerant? Or do they receive some shade in the hot afternoon sun? I'd like to know the names of those in your pictures if you can remember them. If I don't write mine down in a journal I'd never remember their names :-)

Thanks!

• dellare
    17 years ago

Hi gardenkluz, yes they are in full sun. They get a bit of morning sun but mostly hot afternoon sun. We had some at work in all day sun that did fine. Though they do look different with the amount of sun they receive. I think I remember someone telling me the lighter ones wash out a bit in the afternoon sun but I have not had that experience. With the afternoon sun they will also need more water though I garden in sand so if you have clay soil that might not be a problem for you.

I don't remember the names offhand but we have them all at work so I can check tomorrow when I go in. Adele

• DYH
    17 years ago

I've not tried the sun coleus before -- what about deer browsing? Any experience with planting these in an area that is literally overrun with deer herds?

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How about 570 varieties of coleus.

Here is a link that might be useful: More coleus pictures

• gardenklutz
    17 years ago

ralphw - thanks for that great link. Very useful, found at least 300 that I "must have" - LOL

Any suggestions as to the best source for buying them? I've been getting mine from Singing Springs, but sadly they have closed.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    17 years ago

There's a company out in Madison Ohio that produces coleus under the 'Stained Glass' title. Wish I could think of their name.
    I'd fill my yard with coleus given the chance. After 3 years not a one has been touched by deer but I don't plant them too close to the forest.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    17 years ago

glasshouse works..they've got a huge selection.

• gardenklutz
    17 years ago

I was thinking about Glasshouse Works, but have been reading some very negative things about them. Annuals Forum has a post dated Oct. '06 (Glasshouse coleus) that makes Glasshouse sound like you'd be taking your chances by ordering anything from them. Also negative reviews at Dave's Garden Watchdog.

Avant Gardens has a good selection and I think has some good reviews. Has anyone had experience buying from them?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations