Anyone going to Raulston talk tonite?

brenda_near_eno
15 years ago

Friends of the Arboretum Lecture and Welcome Reception for Ted Bilderback

Welcome Reception Begins at 7:00 PM

"Tropicalismo!"

Pam Baggett, Garden Writer

February 5, 2009 (Thursday) Â 7:30 PM-9:00 PM

There's no denying it: the East Coast rivals the tropics when summer temperatures soar. From tiny jewel-like cupheas to towering bananas, tropical plants stretch the garden's textural palette to its limits, while also pushing color boundaries with their often incendiary tones. Popular tropicals like elephant ears and coleus provide months of tantalizing color and texture, but there are many other, lesser-known selections that can give gardens that island look (and without costing you an ocean's worth of water). From grasses and vines to radiant foliage and flowering plants, tropicals prove that heat and humidity are assets when you choose the right plants!

Comments (5)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

It's a busy day for me but I do believe I will be there.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I took a writing course from Pam. She's great!

Cameron

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I went and loved it (even though I didn't win one of the doorprize plants). She had wonderful photos of lavishly wild colored plantings that she talked about in a funny way. She was explained that most of the large tropicals grown out of zone do not recognize the weather cues that temperate zone plants do, so as the days shorten and the temps cool your big bold tropicals keep chuggin along oblivious to what lies ahead. She showed scenes of a long overplanted flowerbed overflowing with color and said something like, "this picture was taken on the 12th of November. The next day a hard freeze came through and flattened them all. They never saw it coming. They didn't have a clue!"

She made many good points. If you want big and bold and lots of color, tropicals will fill the bill and are one of the few plants that THRIVE in our heat and humidity. They grow faster than most temperate zone plants and often bloom longer. She also pointed out the misconception that tropicals need lots of water - some do, but most handle normal garden soil with normal amounts of water.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

Can you give us the names some of those big and bold colorful tropicals she referred to?

Nancy the nancedar

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Hi Nancy - she didn't show off anything that I haven't seen before, in fact I think there was only one photo with a Brugmansia in it! Mostly it was canna's and elephant ears and coleus or plants that look like coleus. She showed a lot of long "perennial" borders, or what would be a perennial border in any normal botanic garden but these were mostly made up of bananas, elephant ears and cannas with coleus along the front. She showed some nice Cuphea's that I had never seen including a chartreuse leaved 'Mexican Heather' (the normal green leaved form has overwintered in my yard). She mentioned that deer rarely eat any of the tropicals and some of the plantings were done in an emergency fashion after the deer had come in and munched down all the regular garden plants. By sticking in tropicals they were able to keep the display looking nice while the nibbled plants recovered.

For drought resistance she showed or mentioned the cardoons and artichokes, that silver leaved batchelor's button, phlomis or Jerusalem Sage, cupheas and variegated tapioca (Manihot).

She showed large clumps of Phormium - New Zealand Flax, stating that the purple leaved forms put up with our heat better than the gren forms.