Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with the inlaws?

Posted by deirdre_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 8:41

My friend's inlaws are in town, and yikes her husband got called away on a business trip. She is in dire need of some diversionary trips for her inlaws.

They are both in thier mid-70's and love birds and nature gardens, but they do not like to walk or anything that's too much of an excursion.

Any ideas or suggestions??

She's in Clayton and figures they'll drive anywhere within a 2 -3 hour radius. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with the inlaws?

there's a thread in the conversations forum about people's favorites spots in the area- sounds like a good list to me to start with!

o

The NC Botanical Garden and Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill.

o

I always end up taking people to the beach. But then, most of my visitors don't live near an ocean. This time of year it is usually warmer out there, crowds aren't out of control yet, most cafe's and diners are open on weekends. I would head down 70 to Beaufort and take one of the sightseeing boats out (minimal walking, lots of birds & nature).

o

Thank you everyone!! I sent her the link to JCRA and they're going there tomorrow. She'll run the Beaufort idea by them too, that and a few local children's musueums and hopefully her husband will be home by then.

I'm glad that I saw the conversation thread too, because I have a few ideas for some weekend getaways now myself!!

o

• Posted by zigzag 7b - Triangle, NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 14:41

Maybe too late for the OP, but my simple tastes have led me to take visitors (especially those less ambulatory) to Pullen Park in Raleigh (adjacent to NCSU) and the Fairgrounds where there's always something going on weekends. I've found Pullen to be very user friendly and diversified - hope it hasn't changed, it's been a few years since I've been there.

Also, Lake Johnson in West Raleigh now has some great resources and lovely walking trails - short or long, your choice.

It's a bit early, but I recall that Pullen & Lake Johnson were wonderful places to watch spring in the Carolinas happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here