Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew

Posted by jimtnc 7b NC TTTF (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 9:03

Is anyone else getting this in their grass? I've never had it before and most of the write-ups I've seen say to create more sun and air circulation, but that ain't gonna happen this time of year in my yard.

I need to apply something on the grass pronto to keep from losing all my work this past fall and previous years because the grass is dying and this stuff is spreading. Any thoughts on how to control it before I lose all my fall seeding? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew

• Posted by zigzag 7b - Triangle, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 18:20

Never this early in the season and never on grass, but I've had good results on powdery mildew and other unidentified fungus-types using Serenade Garden Disease Control. You might want to check it out at www.serenadegarden.com. Good luck!

o

Yep, it's showing up all over the area now. I talked with NCSU turf pathology people and they said the conditions were perfect for PM, but probably more with bluegrass than anything else. Some of them had it in their yards too.

If you can't find a "granular" fungicide you might have problems.

o

PM is not one of my growing problems. However, suggest that now is the time to trial the method that has been so widely acclaimed here on GW. Fill your hose end sprayer with any type of liquid milk product. The claim is that it doesn't matter if it is 2% fat, whole milk or cream. Set sprayer dial on 3 tablespoons per gallon and saturate the lawn. There have been so many testimonials to this organic approach that it is worth a try. Report back.

o

nandina - yeah, I've seen that mentioned before, and can't remember if I had tried it or not. That also might be worth the effort, since milk is still cheaper than fungicides (but probably not for long) and more readily available right now. Thanks.

o

• Posted by zigzag 7b - Triangle, NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 10:43

I tried the milk method on some plants, a small effort w/a hand spray bottle, with so-so results.

Unfortunately, using a hose end sprayer these days might get you a $1k fine - very pricey fix. Now, a hand pump sprayer you could probably get away with, but what a pain if your area is very large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here