Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie_nc

Hanging Plant Tags............

susie-nc
15 years ago

I am posting some pictures of plant tag hangers I made from wire i got at lowes..........I made 115 wire hangers for 7.00..........I will use mini blinds cut to length with holes punched in them...I will use a china marker to put the names on them.........EASY................

{{gwi:556980}}.....

{{gwi:556982}}......

.................THERE IS NO PUPPY MILL-----all strays seen to show up at her home..........

{{gwi:556984}}....

Comments (8)

• tiarella
    15 years ago

Susie I love reclycing instead of throwing away! I use miniblinds slats for labelling plants either seedlings or divisions.

• susie-nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I needed plant tags for my hellebore plants that I will be taking up.I can hang extra tags on these so when I take up the plant I just grab the tag........I really like the price........Diane

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Good idea here...I now use old plasticware knives to mark my plants. A sharpie will stay on the plastic for years, and the serrated edges of the knife make it easy to stick (and stay) in the ground. I think I read this in Garden Gate magazine?...anyway, it's worked well. If my mini-blinds ever give way, this is another great suggestion; thanks!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

buckmaster- what kind of sharpie do you use that doesn't fade in the sun? I've always had trouble with that and ended up switching to paint pens for that reason. But sharpies are easier...

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Hi Tammie--

I just use the regular old sharpie with the fat point. I do write abbreviations, though, so there's not as much fine print to fade as quickly. So for my agastache, the knife says "AGBF" for Blue Fortune agatache. I try to remember to write that abbreviation down on the original plant tag that came with the plant, which I save in an overcrowded bin. So theoretically I could open that bin, find the corresponding abbreviation, and match the plants. I guess I could even alphabetize if I were that organized! But in reality my garden is still fairly new with not a lot of perennials or bulbs in yet, so I have no trouble remembering what the abbreviations mean.

Now that I'm thinking and typing, i guess I could start using different colored sharpies for perennials, bulbs, etc....wow. But that might take some of the fun out of it! =)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

I was thinking Susie that a good stiff wind could lift that tag right off the hook. You might want to think about how to avoid that happening.

• susie-nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The wire can be pushed close with your fingers.......it will not blow off...you can also make them as tall or short as you would like.......Diane

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I also like to use vinyl mini blinds as plant tags but since some of my flowerbeds are crammed full of tiny plants I got tired of seeing more tags than leaves - so I push the tags down into the soil to hide them. Keeping them out of the sun makes them last longer (so does just using pencil instead of ink). I try to keep them all at the three o'clock position in case I push them too deep and can't find them.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus