Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryt_gardener

Is there a Calendar for gardening in NC??

maryt_gardener
17 years ago

does anyone know of a calendar that tells just when to start what in this area? I'm in charlotte.

What I'm looking for is-- what to do each month I guess.

Like right now I was getting ready to start seeds for spring--I have started alot of them in soda bottles for covers. but I am just generally confused still about this because I've always grown my gardens in the north and I am not sure of myself here. I am thinking you would start seedlings of things for fall planting sometime in the summer-- and start spring plants now--but ????? oh gosh I guess a really simple 'calendar for dummies' would be great. Know of one? Mary

Comments (14)

• dellare
    17 years ago

Hi Mary, there is actually a good book. Let me run and see if I can find it now. Okay found it. Month-by-Month Gardening in the Carolinas. By Bob Polomski. I think I got it on Amazon. Adele

• blueangel
    17 years ago

www.garden timeonline.com
    scroll down page and you will find
    a section for planting times and
    alot more info

• maryt_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UNC has a website and i found a calendar there that is in an article that even tells you what dates to plant and how much to plant of which particular varieties to make a garden that will feed 2 people.
    very cool! thanks all! Mary
    check it out: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag-06.html

• maryt_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

From what I'm hearing in my emails after the posts I put up today it sounds like the info at NCSU may or may not be useful. It seems there's alot of difference of opinion on what REALLY works--and probably alot of microclimates around here and alot depends on the weather.
    I think what I'm going to do is plant my fill of tomatos and peppers and nice heat loving plants and then later on in summer I'll maybe cull some of that and try some fall crops in their spots--probably start them in the house so they don't fry thier little selves up before they sprout.

this is so funny--last year I gardened in Fargo ND and the challenges there were like the exact opposite. Sometimes I think I'm going to get dizzy. mary

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

Also, the Southern Living Magazine has a page of what you should be doing that month, roughly - actually, it's for the NEXT month, due to publishing constraints, but that might be more useful... The SL Garden Book doesn't have that feature, but is otherwise a good investment.

Your local extension office might have a listing, as might your local newspaper.

Keeping a journal will help you in subsequent years - you are gardening in your own microclimate after all, although the exact conditions probably won't repeat day-to-day, or even week-to-week, but the generalities will.

• buckeyejoe
    17 years ago

The Extension office in your county has the NCSU guide that you can get free. They will even mail it to you. You need to add a few days if your in the highlands and subtract a few if your coastal plains, but it's a preety good list of plants.

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Mary,
    I can so relate to your thinking you might get "dizzy" - I moved up here from So FL, where the planting seasons were nearly opposite, and the wet season with the heat/humidity was quite a challenge. Seems I can grow so much more up here, just not the tropicals, and I love having all four seasons. I found Nancy Brachey's column & calendar in the Charlotte Observer to be of help, and I learned SO much from all the GW posts and FAQs.
    Good luck and Happy Gardening!
    Rosemary

• nonews
    17 years ago

Actually, Nancy Brachey has an excellent soft cover book "Guide to Piedmont Gardening". This follows month by month. Nancy is the Garden Editor with the Charlotte Observer. Are you near Charlotte? Welcome. Nancy (not Brachey)

• nancyofnc
    17 years ago

The first thing you need is a calendar with big date spaces, IMHO.

If you are interested in growing veggies, the Wyatt-Quarles site has a guide that is one of the best for NC. It tells you what days to plant seed, variety names of the ones that do the best (they say), and even planting depth and spacing, along with days to harvest. It is for 100' rows but the guide I use is one plant per person of anything, unless you want to can or freeze or share your excess. I use this list to write the seeding ranges on my calendar at the beginning of the year. That way, say in July, I don't have to go search for what I can plant then. I also note the fertilizing schedule for each veggie during the season, and make a check mark when I do it.

I also write in big letters WEED TODAY! on some random days so I actually go out and look to see how bad it is. I give myself 15 minutes to weed, 15 minutes to cut flowers or edibles, and 15 minutes in the swing to enjoy, several times that day. It is amazing how much more gets done that way rather than wearing my poor old bod out weeding for 10 hours in a single day and not being able to move for several more.

As for trees, shrubs, perennials, I find it useful to take the names of the plants I have, do some research in the ugly month (mid-Jan to mid-Feb)and write on the calendar when they need to be fertilized, pruned, divided, or debugged.

There are several good books on gardening in the Carolina's, and on the web there is more info than anyone can digest.

You don't have to get it all right. Stress is the enemy of a gardener.

If this makes you dizzy then just go with the flow and relax. Some things do great, others have a bad season but might be great next year. There is no such thing as perfection in gardening, and what works only does it sometimes.

Nancy the nancedar

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Seed Planting Dates - Piedmont

• Phylla
    17 years ago

Carolina Gardener magazine also has a To Do section in each issue, specific to different areas of NC/SC, as well as good articles by local writers.

It's great to have a locally produced magazine full of good info, not every state does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Gardener magazine

• mamcc
    17 years ago

subscribe to Cooperative Extension Successful Gardener Tips for each month. It is excellent. You can sign up here:
    http://www.successfulgardener.org/

• maryt_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you to all! I got so many responses here and also in email that I am saving them all and taking time reading them. I'm learning so much! thanks again! Mary

• mfc1
    12 years ago

Here is a link to another Calendar for the Carolina areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Garden Calendar by Month

• FarmNorthCarolina
    11 years ago

Yes at http://www.nantahala-farm.com/farm.shtml

I spent 3 years and thousands of hours writing the 'Western North Carolina Farm and Garden Calendar' good for hardiness zones 5-6. It can be used in most hardiness zones in the United States by adding or subtracting months depending on the climate. I wrote it to help people survive better in hard times.

It shows you when/how to plant and harvest for each month of the year for your garden, greenhouse and farm. Each month is divided into 5 sections: Garden-Maintenance, Garden-Plant, Garden-Harvest, Greenhouse, and Farm Animals.

Plus there are special garden tips, seed saving, seed starting, soil fertility, plant health, pest control
    methods, plant families, herbs, fruit/nut trees, foraging, folklore, pasture/hay, farm animals, using medicinal plants, food storage, and food preparation. This
    is a labor of love.

It is good for the novice or sophisticated gardener.
    Written in simple terms for all to understand with many definitions, and references to good books. Experienced gardeners learn about unusual plants and different methods of growing and harvesting plants. For instance, growing potatoes from seeds (not tubers) to fight disease problems that is very interesting.

Written with survival gardening/farming as the priority. For instance, crops that give high yield in calories in a small area are emphasized. Vegetables good for
    storing over winter are covered extensively with information on how to store them properly, and which varieties store the best. Grain harvesting by hand is explained.

One goal is to get people gardening and farming most of the year with many cool season crops. Some vegetables can be grown all year in most climates with a greenhouse or cold frame.

Sustainable farming and gardening is stressed with alternatives given for getting a job done with limited resources. For instance, many recipes for worming animals are given, some of which you can grow. Another
    example is how to make your own rooting hormone with willow. Be self sufficient.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Calendar

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH