Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Poison Ivy control

jimtnc
15 years ago

I've been trying to control some poison ivy around my place. Got some climbing up trees and also in planters around. I did clear out a lot, including cutting a 5" notch in the seveeral of the climbers and painted them all with round-up.

Anyone know if the round-up (full strength generic) will have an affect this time of year? Since I already have the vines cut it won't be hard to re-paint them. Just curious.

Comments (13)

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Roundup typically needs warmer weather than what we've been having to work. What does the label say? BTW, my sympathies, I'm allergic, but not as allergic as some and that itch can drive me crazy. Now, DH can roll around in it and it wouldn't bother him at all.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I just sprayed some Roundup last month on some multiflora rose and chinese privet that stays semievergreen. I figured if the foliage was still out, the Roundup would still be effective. Nope. Normally, the foliage will wilt and you can "see" the Roundup working; that didn't happen. Here a month later, it looks like I didn't even spray at all. I'll wait until the dormant season is over.

I've sprayed PI in the spring and it's been very effective. But Roundup is most effective when sprayed on foliage, I believe, so waiting until the PI leafs out would be the best bet.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Be sure to use the Round up for WOODY plants (different bottle) or get Brush B Gon - both of those products are formulated for woody plants. That can be applied on the cut stems of woody plants.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Most plants are dormant this time of year, even those with green leaves. The leaves have to be active in order for the poison to work properly.

I know it's not what you want to hear and others may disagree with me but the only way I can get rid of it is to pull it constantly by hand (covered with gloves). All the spraying just works for one season, the plants are tough and eventually come back. My yard is full of it so I am always yanking on it. Spraying with RoundUp in the early spring when the leaves are brand new slows it down a little. Spraying in the early fall when the leaves are just starting to turn yellow has the biggest effect.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Poison ivy can be killed by Roundup or Brush B Gon but it will take repeated treatment to kill it, especially if it is well established. I was able to kill it at the previous house but it took several seasons before it succumbed. I do agree with John that now is probably not the best of time to try and eradicate it since the plants have to be actively growing to absorb the chemicals and translocate it to their roots. I also agree that fall is a good time to hit it since the plants are collect energy reserves and pulling them to their roots to survive on during the winter season. I say the best thing to do is hit it several times over the active growing season and then allow it to come back out late in summer so that you can hit it hard during the late fall. It might take you a couple of years to eradicate it but it can be done.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm seeing a lot of weeds (chickweed, etc) growing everywhere and nothing I'm using works. Doesn't seem quite right to me. Seems like if they're growing and spreading I should be able to kill the dang stuff.

Don't think the PI is growing yet, but I was trying to be proactive this year. Well, good try, but I'll just hit them again when they start growing again, and then hit them again...and again...

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

I agree with the above, especially the part about repeated applications, even over a few years. Also, NEXT year for chickweed and other winter annual control, try Snapshot, a pre-emergent. It works very well, even for Microstegium or Japanese stilt grass.

I use it in late Dec. or early Jan. This year I missed areas around trees, and it is amazing how much chickweed is there but not in the large areas I was able to treat. I had used a "rolling" spreader instead of the handheld one, and thus missed getting close enough to the tree. Next year I will return to the handheld one...takes longer but covers better, in my opinion.

You do not have to have a chemical license to use Snapshot in NC, but you do in TN...don't know about other states.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I also agree with the above. But one to toss in here, they used to make Round Up Poison Ivy formula. I tried that several years ago at a rental where I had a lot of it. Worked like a champ to control for the couple of years I was in that house while building mine.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I buy my generic round-up at Agri-supply. I get it in 5gl container and it's very thick...usually has to be diluted, but for mean jobs like this I just painted it on straight. Of course I'll have to do it again, but you get the idea.

Don't know much about Snapshot. What about it makes it better than a normal pre-emergent? I didn't put any pre-m out this fall, and haven't this winter either, but I intend to soon.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

I mainly have used Snapshot in shady areas and for winter weeds. It seems to last for about six months. Of course, once the leaves are out, those areas don't get enough sun for the bad summer weeds. I have not used it in large areas because it is so expensive. It has kept the bad Microstegium completely gone in areas that were treated! too bad I cannot use it near water. That is the only area in which I have major problems now.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like Snapshot might be a liquid application, which would be better for me. How much is it and where do you get it?

I've always had a little trouble getting to areas around planting beds, etc where crabgrass, chickweed, and the like seem to flourish. For the most part I've been able to keep them in check, but it's getting to the point now it's really becoming a cumbersome task. It would be nice to apply something that you know will keep down the weeds, and only have to do it once.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Snapshot is a grandular product, which I usually spread with a hand applicator. It sells for about $100 for a 40lb. bag. In Greensboro I found it at Green Resource first and then later at Southern States. I have never seen it at the big box stores. It does not kill anything that has already germinated, so it may be too late for many weeds now. I have never used it in my trillium areas as I had already handweeded those enough so that I only have an occasional weed there. I used it in areas that were overrun with chickweed and microstegium.

I even convinced the chairmen of the garden where I volunteer to buy it, and you can see "my" area has no weeds (some wild onions) and the other areas are getting over run with winter weeds. Those curators will have a busy time next month when they will need to hand weed all of that mess. There is so much that Round Up will not be an option. Nobody wants to look at piles of brown, dead vegetation!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

NC what's the chemistry in it? Is it corn gluten based? How far does a 40# bag spread for you? What time of year do you spread it for microstegium?

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area