Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwaynef

Apple trees in SC

bwaynef
11 years ago

What are some good recommendations for Apple trees in the Upstate? I've really liked the HoneyCrisp from the store, but I've read it may not produce as well here in the south. Does anyone have experience? (I'm looking for other varieties as well, so please advise.)

Also, where besides Lowes/Home Depot can I purchase trees? I've found some online but the shipping will probably kill me. I'm in the Clemson area, but I can travel a little to pick something up if its worth it.

Comments (6)

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

I'm hoping you're wrong about Honeycrisp. :-) I have a tree that I planted a couple years ago. I don't care if they're huge fruit as long as they produce. I have probably 12 to 15 different apple trees now. All planted in the last 5 years or so. None producing yet. Biggest trees so far are Gala and Fuji. Nice branching and height. I'm hoping this is the year I get at least one fruit.

As for shipping costs, look at gas prices and compare what you'd spend riding around just looking for them. I figure that's just part of the cost of having fruit trees in your back yard.

I ordered a bunch from Stark Brothers first. Those are the oldest trees. I lost the figs, a pawpaw, and a cherry tree so far. Most of the rest are looking good.

And I have ordered from Willis Orchard Co. out of lower GA, and they had decent trees except the pomegranates.

And I got some from One Green World in either Oregon or Washington. That's where I got the red meat apples. But the plants all looked good when they arrived.

Stark Brothers have the best guarantee. Willis requires you send the dead trees back, and OGW doesn't have a guarantee. I think that's right. I had a couple of service trees that didn't survive and they wouldn't replace them. Live and learn. I'd still order from any of them again.

Check on Craig's List if you really want local trees. Occasionally there's someone over in Piedmont or Pelzer that has fruit trees for sale. I don't remember if they have apple trees specifically, but they have a good selection once they start offering them.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I'm in Raleigh, NC which is a bit milder than the SC Upstate, but also pretty similar. So far the best apples in my yard have been Arkansas Black and William's Pride. Ark. Black requires no spraying at all, for any disease, but the flavor has been kinda wimpy. William's Pride requires just a little spraying and it always has a tiny bit of some disease but never seems to get overwhelmed - the flavor is incredible and the fruit ripens early in the Summer.

I also have one Gold Rush which is similar to Williams Pride but very spicy. It ripens late and can be stored for many months. It is my all time favorite apple. My tree is tiny and has not fruited yet. If it does as well as I hope I will be buying more of them.

Shipping hasn't been a big issue for me. I think I pay around $25 for trees coming from the west coast, but then I usually order a dozen plants at a time.

• ladybug2u2
    11 years ago

Just found this message...
    I live close to Columbia SC and I spoke with an associate at Willis Orchard before I ordered. She told me to watch my chilling hours which is about 750 to 800 chilling hours here and I would be okay. I ordered Gala, Mutsu and another one that I can't remember right now. So far they have been fine. Chilling hours are those that fall below 40 degs. Hope this helps.

• lma84
    11 years ago

I saw some FANTASTIC looking fruit trees (apple included) yesterday at the Lowes in Greenville, SC. Wish we went there before purchasing a bunch from Home depot a month ago. They aren't even close to as nice as the ones from lowes.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

A guy at work mentioned that he bought a HoneyCrisp tree somewhere close by recently. I wasn't in the conversation and the boss was talking so I didn't ask.

He lives near Easley, I will ask him in the morning.

Gala does very well around here. I have 2 Gala's and an unknown red apple tree that I didn't plant.I think it is a Winesap. They all produce more apples than I can use or give away.

I live near Fountain Inn, about 17 miles south of Greenville. So your climate should be even better.

• tamelask
    10 years ago

i've been to this place - a family run nursery with great selections. If you can make the trip, they'll dig the trees right then for you. i don't know if they do mail order, but most likely. they have a big fest in nov or so each fall. http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

I've ordered stuff from the PNW nurseries, and from edible landscaping in VA, but i still like dealing with more local folks if i can. Nice thing about edible landscaping is they will only ship in pots, so you get no transplant shock. You pay more for shipping, though. Stuff is usually very well adapted to this area, as opposed to ordering from the PNW guys- you have to do your research and pick & choose from there for what's best here.