Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

favorite piedmont heirloom tomatoes? and apples?

thomis
15 years ago

I grew Cherokee Purple, German Johnson and Striped German last summer. It was my first experience with heirloom tomatoes and I absolutely loved the taste. I'd like to plant them again this year and want to try some other heirlooms. So what are your favorites? Carolina gold? I like determinate varieties.

I'm also interested in seeing if any Carolina gardeners are growing heirloom apple trees. I started a small orchard in 2007 and so far it is a blast.

Thanks! ~thomis

Comments (4)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

On the outskirts of Raleigh every summer there is a festival of heirloom tomato taste off called Tomatopallooza. It gets posted here in Carolina Forum or over on the Tomato forum. It is worth the trip. They let you harvest seeds from your favorite varieties when the tasting is done.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Apples? Arkansas Black. My husband has a friend who grows heirloom apples, and he has brought us a bushel of these for the last few years. They are so great!

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

Vintage apples, at a NC nursery
    http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

They seemed real nice. I just dealt with them by email (too far away for me) but they were responsive to my questions and found a pricing mistake to my benefit that I had overlooked. The stock I got was very well grown too.

• thomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gonebananas,

century farm orchards is where 19 of my trees came from. they are all thriving too. i went and picked them up, they are less than an hour from here. mr. vernon runs a nice operation

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio