Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Do you think it would hurt them if?

nannerbelle
10 years ago

Hey all, I've got a bunch of my bananas and elephant ears, hardy hibiscus, and canna in the garage in containers from my old house. Do you think the weather has broke enough that I could set them outside for some early sunshine? Or should I wait a couple of more weeks before putting them out? My 50% frost date is 3/26 if I recall correctly. I know, I'm pushing spring, it's just I have a chronic case of spring fever!!

Comments (5)

• chas045
    10 years ago

I can only speak to the EEs; I know if you had just new bulbs, they wouldn't really get going til the end of April. Now I also do the garage thing, and I guess I just wait til it feels warm out. I also leave a couple EEs in the house as house plants until May.

In addition, the veggi seed start date is ~April 10th in central NC. A few years ago we went to the Builtmore around April 20th and the azalea flowers were ALL wiped out by a hard freeze on April 17th.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

nannerbelle, I have a bunch of my 'moved' or otherwise still potted shrubs and peony roots on rolling carts in the garage.
    Rolling them out into the sun or to catch the rain then back indoors is easy because of the carts.
    I'm not trusting these pampered plants and shrubs to Feb/March weather by planting them too soon. They've been in a protected enclosure this hard winter and just beginning to break leafbuds. Too tender to risk planting.
    Big box stores like Lowes and HD sell these carts and the handles fold down so they can be stored vertically and out of the way when not in use and they're small enough to fit in most car trunks or across the back seat of an average car.

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

Time to sit on your hands!! Its too early. Now is the time when I haul things in and out on sunny days or during warm spells but I don't do anything permanent until late April. Remember, we've had frost the first week of May before.

Also, there have been many times in the past when something survived the winter and looked healthy only to die on me in March when things are budding out. There is something about waking up from a long winter's nap that can do plants in - even the ones that look healthy and happy.

• lorabell_gw
    10 years ago

Killjoy!

I know this is perfect advice but I sure have trouble sitting
    on my hands in the Spring..... First year here planted tomatoes during a warm spell in March...that didn't go so well for sure.

Nanner, I still push the envelope and plant a few things too early, but only if I have several backups ...just in case.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'll hold up on some of this but may go ahead and move some of my good hardy ones out. All are winter hardy and if they were in the ground I wouldn't worry at all. They have all lived outside for years. But in pots I worry about the limited amount of dirt to protect them and the roots. Unfortunately, the beds aren't ready yet for them, this constant rain has really held up the last of my construction items and my yard is still a mud pit.