Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carygardener

Mandevilla

carygardener
18 years ago

Does anyone know if mandevilla can be left outside during winter in the Raleigh area ? I had a couple of these vines but didn't know it can't survive winter. The plant seems to be dead but I am hoping against hope that it will spring back to life.

Comments (9)

• spazzycat_1
    18 years ago

No, it is not hardy here. You can overwinter it fairly easy inside though. I keep mine in a pot, which I move inside to a sunny window before the first hard frost. I typically cut it back to a foot or two from its base at that time. It doesn't like the move and will drop a few leaves, but it settles in for the winter pretty quickly. I move it out after the last frost and by the end of June, it's blooming its head off again.

• kal2769
    18 years ago

Absolutely TOAST! They don't seem even to like tempatures below 50 degrees. Spazzycat is right about overwintering. I bought two plants last year for 3.00 a piece on the markdown table and enjoyed their blooms for about a month before I had to bring them inside. I am glad I did bring them in because they are generally sold for $20 a piece during the growing season. Good luck this year if you buy another one.

---Keith

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Goners! We even had to bring them inside when I lived in zone 8b of South Carolina.

• carygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh ! it was so stupid of me :-(

Does it grow from cuttings ? has anyone experimented ? I might be able to get a cutting from a friend if it is worth trying.

thanks for the replies.

• carygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My mandevilla is alive !

I dug up the root ball of my mandevilla and saw several healthy tubers with fresh white roots. When I scratched the brown skin of the tubers, the fresh green color was an indication that the plant hasn't died.
    So I know for sure that the tubers and the root system are alive but will plant send shoots up in spring ? I can't think of any other reason why the root system is still alive if the plant won't come back. It will be a very pleasant surprise thing if it does.

• carygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just found out that the tubers can't be used to make new plants :-(

• carygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found this on http://wwww.carrollgardens.com

Question: On past programs you talked about how to store mandevillas over the winter. Could you please tell me again how to do it? Also I have a purple leaf smokebush that's been in the ground for about 5 years. It's healthy except that it is wider than high, which is only about 4.5 ft. I bought it from you when it was about 3 ft. It does have root competition from some nearby plants. Is there any way to prune it so that I can get it to be more upright? I do fertilize it with plant tone.

Answer: On the Mandevilla, there are 3 methods:

1. Store the root, like a Dahlia tuber in peat moss in a cool place over the winter. Pot in early March and start indoors before planting outdoors in late May.

2. Put the pot in a cool dark place and withhold water until early March. Then cut back and move to a warm brightly lit place. Grow as a houseplant until putting outside in late May.

3. Keep growing as a houseplant all winter in a warm sunny place. Trim lightly to shape now and more severely in mid-April. Caution: use systemic granules (Di-Syston), as mandevilla is very subject to white fly.

Smoke trees can be cut back as much as you would like (even to the ground) in late January-early February. Trimming the sides should force upright growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Mandevilla from tubers

• carygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It decided to come alive after all - I see tiny reddish sprouts coming up. Soon it will be growing like crazy as the tubers are enormous.
    So, the lesson learned is .... never give up on your Mandevilla ! It will comeback. In fairness, the mild winter we had probably helped it.

• chandu
    13 years ago

@carygardner...
    Thanks for keeping my hopes alive. Although this was a short and hard winter, I would love to see my Mandevilla come back to life - and my lovely brugs.