Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Isn't Jan 31st too early for iris?

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 13:01

All of a sudden, this bed of iris at the house I bought recently has two buds and one has broken color (pale blue).

I really mean all of a sudden because three days ago I was trying to figure what kind of iris this bed was since the foliage has not withered or dried but still lush and green.
It seems it's the bearded type.

But seriously, January???
I realize this is down drain of a gutter and against a brick wall with full sun but still earlier than I ever
expected any blooms.
(and I must thank the dog for frequently walking through the bed to pee on it)

Should I wait for the first bud to open before cutting a stalk to bring into the house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Isn't Jan 31st too early for iris?

Dear dottie in charlotte,
If your dog has peed on your irises, are you sure you want to take them inside your house?

Re: Irises blooming on January 31. They're responding to this year's warm winter weather and, thus, are not reading the calendar.

o

Maybe it is Iris unguicularis? Mine is blooming now, and that is about the right time.

o

awww, that's funny..no I left it alone in full bloom.

ncrescue..you always send me to Google to look up the latin names. Maybe you're right, I'll go check.

o
RE:; Isn't Jan 31st too early for iris?

Nope, not winter iris..that's the asian type I think.
This one is an old fashioned ordinary bearded iris.

o

I distinctly remember in January 2008 seeing a blue bearded iris in bloom in a flower bed at a church on South Tryon Street. And, this bed was out in the middle of a grassy area, in partial light because of overhead limbs from willow oaks!

o

Wow. My iris aren't this far along. They started leafing out in December and my iris seedlings popped out a few days into January. My iris haven't started sending out any blooms yet though. I'm too nervous about the idea of them sending out any blooms when I'm sure we'll have some more frosts between now and spring...

o

I had one bloom right in the middle of December. It shocked the daylights out of me! It was beautiful...until it rained a few days later and then froze. :( A second bloom never opened (froze). When do irises normally bloom in North Carolina?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here