Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis, do you have a favorite vendor

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 13:27

I know about Silver Star Vinery, Brushwood, and Joy Creek.
Can anyone suggest some that are closer to NC or that you've dealt with before.

Thanks,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis, do you have a favorite vendor

I try not to purchase out of state, because the results for me have been dismal, I have been raising plants for 40 years, but Costco does sell packaged perennials in the spring, including Clematis, different varieties, but maybe not what you are seeking. They also sell bulbs in the fall and for 50 daffodil bulbs for $10, that is a bargin on any planet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

I have seen Chalk Hill recommended.

o

Chalk Hill is good. I've bought clematis bulbs from Home Depot before and had great success w/ them. I'd trust Chalk Hill's plants for consistency, though.

o

Brushwood Nursery, Silver Star Vinery, and Chalk Hill all have good plants. If you don't mind growing them out, Donahues sells small plants that are nice as does Koi Village (have their own website and sell on eBay). I have also purchased clematis from the now defunct Collectors Nursery, Joy Creek, Seneca Hills Perennials, Plant Delights, the place in Sanford that rhymes with Dig Doomers and a multitude of other places and sellers on eBay.

For the record, clematis do not grow from bulbs so there is no such thing as clematis bulbs. They have crowns though!

o

Thanks all.
I have seen quite a few I lust after at Brushwood. May check out some closer places. Chalk Hill is a biggie I remember.

Carla

o

I was wondering about the bulb thing myself. There is not clematis bulb.

Are you looking for a certain clematis? All the local nurseries including the two box stores have them in early Spring. I have a clematis called ROOGUCHI which flowers from early Summer on into Sept, has thousands of blooms (over the course of the summer months) and I bought it at Lowes. It isn't a real easy one to find. Look it up on Chalk Hill. There are so many local places to get them unless you are looking for a very rare one. I have 15 and all but 2 are locals. I too foam at the mouth with these websites and clematis. Also a wonderful very large white blooming clematis is HENEYI. Easy to find local.

o

Thanks everyone. Someone told me about a place that has a sale on right now, so I took advantage.

Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here