Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Camellia is blooming

Posted by deirdre_2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 14:25

Now, I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm very proud of my little, and I do mean little, shrub. When we bought this house 3 years ago, I was saddened because I only had "non-flowering" evergreen shrubs and I was disappointed that the previous owners had such boring landscaping.

I knew enough not to toss anything out until I knew what everything was. I'm originally from MA, so a lot of the plantings were unfamiliar to me. Last year, I discovered that 4 of my shrubs, previously thought to be non-bloomers to me, were Gardenias. I took great care of them last year and they rewarded me with beautiful displays throughout their bloom period.

Also, I suspected that another one of my "non-bloomers" was a Camellia. I had recently fallen in love with them, and was thrilled to find out that I may have one in my garden. So, I fertilized it and watered it and basically cared and loved it all year last year despite the drought. About a month ago, I noticed that I had buds!!! They stayed there for a long time and I began to think thaty they may be "bull-nosed". I don't know if that's a legitimate term, but it's a term my mom uses to describe a bud that never blooms.

Well I came home from dropping my daughter off at pre-school and I have a beautiful, hot-pink flower just beginning to open up. It is not completely open, but give it another day and I know it will be beautiful. Also, I can see that I have about 4-6 more ready to open and literally 25-30 buds present. Now the funny thing is that this little bugger is only 2 feet high and scraggly. Only one main "trunk" and a few piddly branches shooting off at irregular angles. But even though it is scraggly and misshapen; I love it!!

It may never be an awesome specimen because someone lobbed off the main trunk in a pruning gone very awry, but to me it will always be dear to me. To me, it's one of my best gardening discoveries!!! And although I haven't tried it yet, I plan on propogating it, as propogation is going to be my main focus this year. I won't be buying any new plants (okay, well I'll try LOL) this year, I'm just going to divide and propogate all Spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Camellia is blooming

You MUST post a pic!! I can't wait to see. How very exciting for you. I know when I baby something along like that it feels almost like your baby is taking their first steps. Congrats Congrats Congrats

o

I always say that there oughta be a law the requires everyone in this area to grow Camellias and Gardenias. They are such a treat during the off season. My only complaint about mine is the slow growth rate - but god they put up with anything. I have some in deep deep shade way in the back of the yard and they continue to grow (though they don't bloom as much).

o

That sounds so pretty!! By the way, camellias make great cut flowers, and this may be a good way to keep your delicate branches from breaking if we get a big rain or ice. I have had damage when the blossoms get so heavy a branch just breaks right off!! Camellias floating in a bowl with those floating candles are beautiful. Hope the propagation goes well!

o

That's great! I'm glad the old owners planted something worth keeping. The four gardenias sound wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here