Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilamy_gw

What are you doing in the garden right now?

lilamy
17 years ago

With all this hot and cold mixed up weather I have been afraid to do much and now I find I have gotten behind. I went out yesterday and pulled over 5 wheelbarrows full of composted horse manure and leaves and layered about 6 inches worth all along the 2' wide bed that goes along the sunny length of my house and into a bean shaped section off the front corner. I swept the leftover mulch over, layered on the compost and then swept the mulch back over. I also pulled out a huge section of vinca vine that was taking over my daylillies in that area and a 2x4' section of lariope that has moved well beyond it's place and into my bearded iris. Does anyone want vinca vine or lariope?? Come get it or I might even bring it to you!! I am late getting my seeds started, but hope to get my things together to start my butterfly garden seeds tomorrow. Well, that is a few of the first things on my spring list completed--how about the rest of you?

-Amy

Comments (18)

• DYH
    17 years ago

I've been checking on the health of the shrub garden that I planted in October. I've put up some deer barriers around a few things that are budding up. Even though I planted deer resistant plant material, the deer have been desperate and browsing anyway.

I've cut back a few things and have been pulling out wild onions and weeds. We cleaned out and cleaned up leaves from our stream.

I'm getting ready to order 2 tons of stone this week in order to finish the pathways through our gardens. I want to get that done during the cooler weather and before I start planting again.

Mostly, I've been planning the finishing touches on the new shrub garden and new plantings for the east side that I didn't get to back in October. I've been going around the garden measuring and creating counts of what I want to use.

My shrub garden is on a slope with a rain garden at the bottom that drains into the dry streambed that we built in October. So, I have dry, sunny conditions at the top and moist conditions at the bottom of the slope. I actually like this variety and see it as an opportunity.

I'm all into creating vignettes along my pathways, so I'm using photos of different plants in my drawing program to get an idea of the color combinations that I want to use.

Of course, I'm buying all the gardening magazines that are out right now to see what's new and inspiring!

• xoscottox
    17 years ago

Just cutting the monkey grass back, turning the compost pile, and planting seeds (lots of seeds).

• dellare
    17 years ago

I've been raking leaves out of the gardens and piling on compost. I've been planting shrubs and daffs all winter and have recently switched to planting the more hardy perennials. Can't wait for spring. Adele

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

Weeded and hoed my little raised bed and planted my peas, leaf lettuce, radishes, and watching for my winter sown seeds to sprout (they've started). Been pulling a few weeds and decided where to put some things I swapped for and trying to decide what key things (plants/trees/shrubs) I want this year.

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Wintersowing perennials and annuals, making new beds and cleaning out old ones, moving my gardenias to accomodate a new fence, pruning roses, clearing out the weeds and fallen trees from our back lot, and soon, putting down the pre-spring treatment against fire ants. Makes me tired just typing this, lol.

• gaylek
    17 years ago

Pameliap, what 'pre-spring treatment against fire ants' do you use? That would be wonderful!
    BYW, I have wanted to prune the roses but have been reluctant!But the weeds are really growing here in eastern NC.
    Thanks

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Not enough as usual. I did plant a Chionanthus virginicus on Saturday- a bargain I found in January. Hoping that the weekends will be just like this past Saturday from here on out:) I hate cold/windy.

• byrdlady
    17 years ago

This weekend I cut back my butterfly bushes and stalky remnants of pineapple sages and lantanas. I have started to trim up all my daylilies. That will be a job. Also trying to decide what 'yard art' will go out this year as I try and rotate some things. Don't want it too junky. We took off the last of the leaves in the beds. The bluebirds will return in the next few weeks so we checked the bb houses and of course filled all the bird feeders!

• deborahz7
    17 years ago

Did lots of pruning this weekend and planted 2 small maples. Finally picked up the Camelia I've been watching for months now plus a few other things. I'm also doing alot of winter and indoor sowing. We're gonna be putting in a fence soon and I'll need to build alot of beds once thats put in.

I need to start weeding but I always put it off cause its not fun.

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Amy,
    How sore are your muscles today? :)LOL
    I've been pulling up vinca out of my perennial bed too. That stuff is brutal! It really took hold over the winter and was choking the daylilies and irises.
    Also doing a lot of weeding - the never-ending battle!
    Hauled more rocks up from the creek for a border on Saturday, then transplanted some monarda that had started becoming a thug, and moved some black-eyed Susans to a place where they can happily spread without causing trouble.
    The spinach is sprouting, as are the lettuces, and I already have many winter-sown sprouts as well.
    Happy cleanup, everyone! Spring is around the corner! :)

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I don't think I ever stopped working in the garden since last August! This past weekend I checked on the few flats of winter sown seeds (nothin happenin). Transplanted some indoor sown seedlings. Removed mulch to let the soil heat up in some of the beds - beds where I knew the plants could handle a slight frosts or two. And I began to move the tons of potted perennials I intend to sell at the farmers market out of storage and into the sunniest part of the veggie garden (which is empty right now).

I also discovered that the voles have been busy so its time to go on the warpath with them. And I went to Plant Delights and bought way too many plants. See, winter IS gardening season!

• lilamy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh man...so sore...okay...who wants to come pull up pony compost? Anyone want vinca or lariope? I have looooots of it. hehehe Now what can I do next weekend to make my muscles scream.....?

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

We have been working off and on all winter as temps allow but are really kicking it into high gear the past couple of days. Husband built me a picket fence to go around my cottage garden so have been playing around with that - getting the climbing rose wrapped around it and some clematis. Transplanting some of the tougher perennials and pulling out a ton of shasta daisies to pot up for the spring swap. Thinning out larkspur and batchelor buttons. Wintersowing and cleaning up all the plants in the shade house that didn't get planted last year. Just doing what ever my heart leads me that is garden related - love this time of the year and on into spring and early summer. Mid summer is my down time - every other season is up time :) :).....

Lynne

• reeldoc
    17 years ago

Tried to till up an area today for taters, no luck, too muddy. May build some tater boxes or something else to keep them out out the mud.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

i've been so busy with work i haven't had bearely any time to play this winter. but i have recently swon my lettuce & other winter crop seeds and today i was finally raking up the leaves i'd had dh run over with a mower til they were fine to spread on some beds. my back's killing me! i'm outta shape no doubt. i got 1/2 of it done and hope to tackle the rest tomrorow before the lovely rain. yesterday i cleaned out another bed and sowed lupine, columbine, larkspur and digitalis seed. i'd weeded and sown some poppies and other winter annual types late last week, too. so i'm happy about the rain. :)

getting a late start on wintersowing seed inside. better late than never, eh? i've been working on putting my list in excel to keep better track of what i have and how old it is. big job, but worth it. tam

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

Memama - We use Ortho products to reduce the fire ants in the yard. We broadcast a spring treatment (I want to say Max, but the bag's out in the shed and I'm not, lol). I has really reduced the number of mounds in the yard. I'm going to use it in my beds this year as well. To treat individual mounds, which we still get around the edges from the neighbors, we use Ortho Orthene. It stinks to high heaven but the mound is dead within 24 hours.

• gaylek
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info on the fire ants. Will try that!

• cottagegirl124
    17 years ago

We have been trimming trimming trimming thorny mora flora roses (I think thats what they are called) Someone about 50 years ago imported them in our area from overseas to make fences to help keep in cows and horses they were told they were the greatest thing no more fences to build just plant these God forsaken rosebushes. Also built a 4 X 4 bed for our salad bowl greens. Planted 2 beautiful shrub roses that only get 2 X 2. Raked alot of leaves have really enjoyed myself it feels good to be out in the yard.