Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting time for broccoli

Posted by corin99 z7 North Carolina (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 14:55

Hi...I started my broccoli seeds the other day, aiming for transplanting in mid-March as per the NCSU guidelines but then saw broccoli seedlings for sale over at Lowes.

So now I'm wondering if people here (I'm in Durham NC) actually put broccoli in the ground this early? I'm a little doubtful, as I remember seeing tomato seedlings for sale in mid-March last year, which is clearly too early. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting time for broccoli

I started broccoli from seed in November and planted it in December in a bed with endive seed and with Bibb lettuce plants that I bought from Campbell Road nursery. The bed is covered with shade cloth most of the time except for sunny days when I am working in the garden. Recently these plants have been really growing and we are getting salads daily by breaking off one leaf per plant from the biggest lettuce and clipping the endive seedlings which are about 2-inches high. As the broccoli plants get bigger, I will harvest the lettuce and endive from around them until they are alone in this bed.
Broccoli should do well if planted now if you can cover the plants to keep off the frost. If not, the plants could be damaged or killed by a hard freeze. In past years I have put thin plastic sheets over the shade cloth when the weather was forecast to be sub-freezing, but this year, I never got around to it, and the lettuce, spinach, endive and asian greens have all come through the couple of nights in the mid-teens we have had here in Raleigh.

o
RE: Planting time for broccoli

• Posted by corin99 z7 North Carolina (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 20:23

Ok, well maybe I'll head over to Lowes and pick up some seedlings. They had some Early Dividend, which is a lot earlier than the types I'm growing from seed. That will help spread the harvest out.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here